S20

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinyoung got to his feet, looking down at Moonhee. She noticed that silence and looked up at him.

“What?”

He shook his head, “Nothing. Come on, hyung called me earlier. He seemed worried about something. And Yael’s awake.”

Her ears perked up.

“She is?” A genuine smile broke onto her face, Jinyoung could tell she was really relieved.

“Yeah.” He offered his hand. “Let’s go see her. I want to know what happened.”

Moonhee squinted her eyes at Jinyoung before tapping his hand and getting up herself. He shot her an amused smirk.

“I am well and capable of getting up myself.”

Jinyoung shook his head, “But it’s sometimes good to rely on someone.”

“Nah, not in my dictionary.”

 

*

 

“Yael!” Moonhee burst through the door as Jaebum came out from the toilet. “Oh god, you scared me there.”

Yael chuckled, opening her arms and welcoming Moonhee. She winced when her best friend hugged her, Jaebum bolted forward and Jinyoung stopped him.

“I want you to watch yourself,” Moonhee said after breaking the hug. “Stay away from any police work. Just stay here and rest.”

“Here?” Yael huffed her cheeks. “But the hospital is boring.”

“The doctor said she could be discharged tomorrow.” Jaebum sat down on the chair and pulled out his mobile.

“Let’s go out for lunch together tomorrow.” Yael winked. “It’s been a long time since we last head to a restaurant for a proper lunch.”

Moonhee rolled her eyes and scooted a little further from her.

“Urgh, don’t remind me.” She sighed teasingly. “The last time I was in a restaurant was with a sleazy old man who can’t keep his hands to himself.”

Jinyoung and Jaebum looked at her at the same time and Yael smirked, eyeing the two guys. Moonhee turned around, feeling the gazes and rolled her eyes again.

“What?” She huffed. “It wasn’t exactly very pleasant to deal with rich men.”

Jaebum scoffed and Jinyoung stifled a laugh. He then lowered his hand, “I want in.”

“Who wants to have lunch with you?” Moonhee shot back.

“Hey, we’re all partners.” He shrugged. “I figured that we need to know each other more.”

“Really?”

“Yeap,” he popped at the ‘p’ and grinned.

“Hee?” Yael looked at her friend expectantly.

“Okay, fine.” She gave up. “He can come.”

“Jaebum-hyung is too!”

Jaebum and Moonhee yelled simultaneously, “What?”

“No,” the former shook his head. “Nope. I’m not going. I’ll rather be caught dead than have lunch with this… This criminal.”

“Criminal?!” Moonhee got up and snarled at JB. “Not that I would want to be associated with you too.”

“Guys, guys, enough.”

Yael wanted to get off the bed, to personally stop them from escalating into a fight. Jinyoung and Moonhee shot forward to hold onto her before her knees weakened.

“I’m in the hospital,” she complained. “Don’t fight here.”

Moonhee and JB shared a look and gave in, “Fine.”

 

***

 

The next morning, Moonhee and Yael walked out of the latter’s hospital ward. Jinyoung and JB padded up to the main entrance of the hospital as the two girls hobbled out.

“Ready to leave?” The former asked.

Yael nodded and adjusted her outfit. Jaebum rose his brows.

“Aren't you warm in that?”

The girls shared a look, Moonhee glanced at him.

“She likes it. What's it to you?”

“Guys,” Yael coughed. “Please.”

Moonhee stopped talking immediately and held onto Yael, walking them towards Jaebum’s car. The girls entered the vehicle and closed the door. JB turned to Jinyoung, who was smiling away.

“This better be worth it.” He glared at his partner and the younger nodded.

 

*

 

The quartet arrived at the restaurant and saw that there was a line of customers queuing to enter.

“Wow, this restaurant must be really good.” Jinyoung gaped at the line.

“I made a reservation, just head over and say my name.” Yael jutted her chin towards the staff. “Moon Yael.”

Moonhee let go of her friend and glanced around. She then nudged her friend.

“I have to go to the bathroom, wait for me?”

She then headed off. Jinyoung pushed JB forward, urging him to follow after the girl. Jaebum rolled his eyes, stuffed his hands into his pockets and trailed after Moonhee. Jinyoung was about to go to the entrance when he heard someone calling Yael.

He spun around and saw how the girl had frozen in her spot while staring ahead. He followed her gaze, seeing a middle-aged couple walking towards them.

“Mum,” Yael greeted and reluctantly glanced at the man beside her. “Dad.”

Jinyoung went back to Yael’s side and he felt her hold his arm. A feeling of protectiveness washed over him and he pushed her lightly behind himself.

“Care to introduce your little boyfriend to us?” Her stepfather asked, hostility evident in his voice.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter