S32

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonhee held her head. Her wrists were red from the cuffs. They realised her after investigations showed that she was in fact drugged. Minseok was escorted to the police transport can. She watched him leave.

She should be happy that her brother was cleared of drug abuse, but the dead girl and Taehyun’s suicide felt… out of place. There were dots she couldn't connect.

Yael walked up behind her and gently tapped her on her shoulder.

“You feeling alright?”

Moonhee glanced over her shoulder, “Yeah. But something's not right.”

“What’s not right?” Yael stood in front of her. “Minseok has confessed. He was the dealer for drugs in Song-Ji for the past 20 years. He knew your brother was getting close to him and wanted to quit.”

“I dunno. Something just feels weird.”

 

“Where are you guys doing?” Jaebum piped up behind them.

Moonhee and Yael looked up at him. The latter didn't miss the concern in his eyes, directed towards the former.

“Nothing,” Moonhee said. “Thanks for bringing him in.”

“It's part of my job,” his voice was surprisingly soft. “You should be relieved, since your brother has been proven innocent.”

“Yeah, I should.”

“Yael once told me you both had trackers embedded in your necklaces?”

The girls glanced at each other. Moonhee clutched hers protectively.

“So?”

“Give me the codes to the tracker.”

“Why should we?” Yael pushed Moonhee behind herself. “It's not for you.”

“In case you guys decide to pull a disappearing act like today, again.” Jaebum sighed. “I just want my consultants safe.”

The girls traded another look before Moonhee nodded her head. She guided him towards his office, not before giving her another worried glance.

Moonhee waved her hand, telling Yael she was alright alone. After they left, her head spun and almost collapsed when sturdy arms grabbed into her.

“Come sit down.”

She squinted at the face before hers and pushed herself away when she realised it was Taecyeon.

“What are you doing?”

“I heard you caught Taehyun’s dealer,” Taecyeon cleared his throat. “Well done.”

Moonhee let out a breath in amusement as she buried her face in her palms. Her voice came out muffled.

“Well, at least one of us had to get the job done, right? I can't count on you, I've been through the consequence of that bad decision.”

“Noh Moonhee,” Taecyeon let out a breath, like he had given up on talking to her. “I know there's a misunderstanding somewhere. I know you misunderstood something about me. I--"

“Hell yeah I did.”

She lifted her head, a little too quickly and winced at the headache.

“How much did I beg you guys to help me with my brother’s case? You promised that you would help clear my brother’s name, but what did I get?”

Taecyeon opened his mouth to speak but decided against doing it. Moonhee saw him hesitating and shook her head.

“Sure, my brother was released because there were witnesses who said the drugs didn’t belong to him. But you guys went to the school, publicly humiliated him by putting him in cuffs in front of his classmates and searching his locker like you were cleaning out garbage.” She let out a shaky chuckle. “His schoolmates treated him like a rat, they bullied him in school and called him names. They outcasted him and drove him up the wall.”

“But Jeon Nora happened. You can’t expect us to let him go.”

She got up, “Yes, she did happen. But did you guys do your job well? You guys brought him in again and kept him here for 48 hours, then releasing him again because of a lack of evidence. But he was already labelled as a murderer.”

Moonhee’s body started shaking as she fisted her hands, trying to keep her feeling together.

“Do you know how these behaviour affected him? Did you know how he lived after these investigations?! And the trauma for being sentenced to death row before letting him go in end?” She started to drop her voice. Taecyeon glanced around and got up.

“Moonhee…”

He tried to calm her down but she was having none of it. She finally got the rights to scream at Taecyeon. She didn’t have the power to do that when she was younger.

Tears were pricking her eyes.

“My brother was maligned, but no one believed me. Do you know how I felt when I saw my brother cry when he thought I was asleep? He cared for me so much, that he pretended he was fine in front of me.” Moonhee wiped her face, her voice cracking. “Do you know what I felt when I saw my brother dead in a pool of blood, a pistol in his hand and lying in my room?”

“I have no idea where he got that gun, or why he decided to die the day he asked his friends out for dinner. I know something is up but I was too young to find things out.”

Taecyeon reached out to hold Moonhee.

“Don’t touch me,” she sobbed.

She pushed him away and spun around, noticing that the office had cleared out. Jaebum, Jinyoung and Yael were standing behind her, she was crying too.

Moonhee felt her heart drop, she quickly wiped her face. She walked towards them and quickly turned towards the exit when they stepped towards her. Taecyeon wanted to go after Moonhee, but Yael glared at him, stopping his actions, chasing after her best friend herself.

Jinyoung padded to his chief, patting his shoulder and went after Yael. JB just stared at his boss with an unreadable expression on his face.

 

-

 

Yael ran out after Moonhee, but she had already left in a taxi. She stomped her foot in anger. Jinyoung sauntered up to her.

“You alright?” He asked sheepishly.

“Moonhee left! I’m worried about her.”

“Call her later, she most probably wants to be alone,” Jinyoung offered. “I’ll buy you lunch. Come on.”

“I’m not hungry,” she dropped her head. “Go ahead without me.”

Her stomach suddenly growled, she bit her bottom lip, embarrassed. He chortled.

“See, let’s go.”

Jinyoung held his hand out. Yael eyed it before walking ahead. He sighed, figuring she wasn’t ready and let his hand fall.

“Ya, wait for me!”

 

---

 

Moonhee fumbled with her keys and had just slotted the key into her door when a force came from behind her, forcefully pushing the door open. She stumbled into the house, her headache came back and blinded her.

She heard the door slam shut and the sound of a belt coming undone.

“Who are you?” She scooted backwards, her hands scraping against her floorboards.

“You thought that by having that officer shoving me away would protect you from me. You can dream on. If I can’t have you, no one else can.”

She stilled, that voice… She could recognise it anywhere.

The belt came down on her, she yelped.

“Do you really think, you can get away from me?”

Minwoo whipped the belt down again. Moonhee’s vision slowly cleared and she saw him advancing towards her. She reached for her necklace and pressed on the pendant.

 

-

 

Jaebum was typing a report, slightly distracted. The scene between his Chief and Moonhee. Her past was slowly unveiling and he knew it was going to affect her badly. She was good at masking her pain but it seemed like her facade was breaking apart to longer she spent in the precinct.

He sighed, picking his cup up, wanting to get some coffee when his phone vibrated. Mindlessly reaching for the mobile, he glanced at the screen, thinking it was a text from Jinyoung.

“,” he saw the alert from Moonhee and grabbed his keys.

 

-

 

“Let go of me!”

Moonhee begged and cried when she was pinned against the sofa, Minwoo hovered over her, his rough lips marking every inch of her neck. He had ripped the front of her shirt, her bra was exposed.

Her hands were held together above her head with one hand, while the other trailed down to her shorts. He undid the button like a pro an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter