S41

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Squeezing her eyes shut, Moonhee gathered her courage and pulled the trigger.

“NO!” She could hear Hyunbin’s faint cry.

 

CLICK

 

She slowly open her eyes, half-expecting to see herself staring at her dead body or the blinding white light but she was facing Jungmin’s grinning face.

“Welcome back!” He greeted.

She could feel herself tremble in absolute anger. She threw the pistol onto the ground and let out an ear-piercing scream of agony. Moonhee fell to her knees, her fingers tangling in her hair in frustration.

Jungmin shook his head, kneeling down before her.

“Do you really think I will let you take the gun and knife just like to that? I enjoy watching how hope fills you up and then despair comes crashing down like tidal wave.”

She lifted her head and spat in his face, “You are a bastard. How could you? Is playing with me that fun for you?”

Jungmin shrugged and broke into a huge smile.

“Yeap! Big fun!”

He pushed himself off the ground and padded over to the ropes. He dragged a chair to Moonhee, lifted her onto it and tied her against the wooden frame. He then turned to Hyunbin and undid his restraints.

He dropped onto the ground, relieved of all energy and will. He could barely keep his eyes open.

“I’ll give you guys some quality time together.” He waved his hand dismissively. “I’ll be back.”

 

---

 

Jungmin left the room, they heard the locks on the door. Moonhee immediately sprang into action, struggling to free herself from the ropes around her body. Hyunbin lifted his head and slowly crawled towards her.

“Hee-ya…” He called out.

She glanced at him for a second, ignoring him.

“I’m sorry…” He chanted as he reached her.

He propped himself up painfully until he was sitting up and facing Moonhee. He tried reaching for her but she avoided his touches.

“ off,” she snarled. “Don’t touch me.”

“I’m sorry!” He coughed, holding his stomach. “I… Your brother…”

“Don’t you dare speak of him with your dirty mouth,” she kicked him away from her. “ you. I don’t want to ever see you again! I trusted you. My brother trusted you.”

“I know! I just… I love you.”

Moonhee stopped moving, “But I don’t. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever!”

“Even if I did have a crush on you before, it’s gone now. My brother was all that I had. You took him away from me.”

Hyunbin coughed again, “But I wasn’t the one who killed him!”

“BUT YOU KILLED HIM INDIRECTLY!”

Hyunbin couldn't bring himself to speak further - not that he could anyway. She was right. He did indirectly caused the death of his best friend. Moonhee flinched from him when he tried to reach for her again.

Her eyes were empty as she stared at her feet.

 

I cannot stay here. I have to find a way to get out.

 

She searched the area around her when she recalled the blade that had fallen off the handle of the knife. It had fallen somewhere near her.

Jungmin didn’t seem to have picked it up. She dragged herself towards the last place she saw the knife and used her bounded legs to draw it closer to her.

 

---

 

“Yael. We have to get to class.”

Jinyoung nudged the girl as she typed furiously on her laptop.

She snapped, “Do I look like I have the mood to attend class right now?”

“Babe. I know you're worried for Moonhee,” he reached for her hand, making her stop moving. “But being tense is not going to help her much.”

Yael shut her laptop and buried her face in her palms. Jinyoung pulled her closer to himself. Basking in his warmth and safe arms, she let herself relax.

He sighed, the back of her head comfortingly.

“If it's of any comfort, hyung’s not taking this well too. I’ve never seen him this uptight before.”

Yael looked up, gently touching her boyfriend's chin.

“And to think he used to hate her so much.”

 

-

 

Jinyoung sent Yael back to class before heading to his own. She took her usual place at the back of the class, glancing worriedly at the empty seat next to her.

Jester entered the class and spotted Yael sitting alone. He smiled, padding up to her. He gently tapped her table twice to get her attention.

“Hello, Yael-ssi.”

She glanced up, acknowledging his greeting. She noticed how his eyes flitted towards Moonhee’s seat.

“Are you okay? You look pale.”

She remained quiet as he smiled at her again.

“Where's Moonhee-ssi? Isn't she always with you?”

Yael couldn’t bring herself to look at him, it was freaking her out at how nice he was being to her.

“Why were you at Song-Ji High?” She blurted.

“Hmmm?”

“I saw you at Song-Ji High when Hee and I went to check Sungmin’s case out. Why were you there? Why were you spying on us?”

Jester chuckled.

“Are you sure it was me?”

“Don't try to confuse me. I know I saw you. I know you saw me see you.”

He gave her another smile and placed his hand on her shoulder, “Song-Ji’s my alma mater. Why can't I be there?”

She flinched at the unseen strength he was using.

“Besides, I like revisiting old places. I always find something new to see. It makes life a little more fun.”

There was a glint in his eyes when he uttered the word fun.

He leaned closer to her, examining her face. His close proximity was clouding her senses. Her hearing was blocked as her eyes focused on the man in front of her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter