S26

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yael and Jinyoung got off the taxi a couple of streets away from the precinct, figuring they needed a walk. They were walking uniformly side by side when they passed by an alleyway. Yael stopped walking.

“What’s wrong?” Jinyoung asked.

She was sniffing around, her nose scrunching up in disgust. She ignored his question and ventured into the alley. She started to search around for something, Jinyoung didn’t know what.

He only knew what she was doing until a stench filled his nostrils. He recognised the smell immediately.

Yael was nearing the end of the alleyway, Jinyoung knew what was happening. He rushed forward, calling after her.

“Yael, no!”

She couldn’t hear what he said and stumbled upon a huge wrapped up figure on the floor. She reached over and flipped it open, just as Jinyoung put his hand on her shoulder.

A piercing scream escaped her lips, He immediately pulled her away and spun her around so that her face was against his chest. She was hyperventilating in his arms, he hugged her close to himself.

Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his mobile and dialled for Jaebum’s number.

“Hyung, get the team. We have a body.”

 

***

 

Police officers, the forensic team, Jaebum and Moonhee arrived in 10 minutes. Jinyoung found somewhere far away from the body to let Yael sit and cool down as he knelt down beside her, his hands holding hers tightly.

Yael was staring into space, he could see the image playing and replaying in her eyes.

“El!”

She looked up and saw Moonhee shrugging Jaebum’s hold as she tried to run over. Yael got up and Jinyoung let go, she ran over to her best friend, sobbing in her arms.

Jaebum gave them a quick glance before jogging over to Jinyoung. The forensic team was starting on their work on the body, sealing the place up.

“So what’s up?” JB asked.

“Yael found the body. We were walking back to the precinct when she caught the smell of the rotting body. Looks like it had been here for a day.”

He glanced over his shoulder. Johnny came running over.

“Our victim has a plastic bag over her head, sewed up lips, clipped hair and a pastel dress,” He gave a quick summary. “Sound familiar?”

“We have to list him as a serial killer now, 3 victims with similar traits. We need to put a high-risk on him.”

 

“Are you okay? Oh my god, I’m so sorry for leaving without you,” Moonhee whispered, hugging her friend tightly.

“I thought it was weird to have that smell in the air. I didn’t know… I didn’t know what it was… Or who--”

“El, look at me,” Moonhee held her face. “It’s a dead body, yes, but you don’t have to blame yourself for stumbling upon that.”

“But--” She dropped her voice. “I recognise the body…”

“You do?”

Moonhee saw how Yael glanced around once more before looking at her.

“Remember how we stumbled upon those cases of the dead women in the police database when he hacked in? Her body’s the same way in those photos. She fits the scene of the women.”

Moonhee in a breath and glanced over Yael’s shoulder at the men walking around, one even zipping up the black body bag.

“Are you sure?”

Yael nodded tiredly, she rubbed her face.

“Seeing them in pictures was one thing, but to see them in person…”

Moonhee pulled Yael into her arms once more, the back of her head in comfort.

 

Jinyoung and Jaebum watched the girls’ interactions and realised how deep their friendship actually ran.

“I can understand why the two of them are so close,” Jinyoung blurted. “They knew each other’s pain and understood how to comfort each other.”

JB rose his eyebrow.

“How would you know that?”

“Yael told me,” he rubbed his chin. “It’s something that happened to Moonhee that made her jumpy around people.”

“And that is?”

Jinyoung shrugged, “She wouldn’t say. It’s ‘her story to tell’.”

JB left the conversation at that and the two males went up to the girls.

 

“Are you okay?” JB asked.

Yael nodded briefly, eyes averted from the alleyway.

“How about we head back to the precinct? We can look at case files on this serial killer. His MO is particularly stirred towards pampering, as though he was either remorseful or dressing his victims was his kink.”

“Sure,” Moonhee got up. “Let’s go, El.”

As they approached the vehicle, she remembered something.

“Wait, send me home,” she said hurriedly. “My home. I need to grab something.”

 

***

 

The moment the quartet reached Moonhee’s doorstep, she raced out of the car, limping as she made it to her house.

“Slow down!” Yael ran after her but stopped the boys before they entered. “Wait here, Moonhee doesn’t like… men-- in her house.”

Jaebum and Jinyoung nodded and stationed themselves outside the door. Yael went in and heard thrashing in the rooms. She raced to the noise and saw Moonhee flipping through her drawers.

“What’s happening? What are you looking for?”

“Remember those letters I received?” She asked her friend. “I think something’s wrong with them.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter