S17

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yael sat up when Jaebum stepped into the room. Her lawyer stood up to shake the officer’s hand, introducing himself.

“How would you like to join in crime-fighting?” JB asked, with a hint of mockery in his voice.

“Now, why would I help you?” Yael folded her arms. “What’s in it for me?”

She received a sharp look from her lawyer, she lowered her gaze immediately. The lawyer then faced Jaebum, who was wearing a smirk.

“Wow, you sure are friends with that Noh girl."

“Cut to the chase, Detective.” The lawyer spoke up. “Why should my client help you?”

Jinyoung entered the room behind JB, the both of them stood in front of the mirror, looking relaxed. They gave each other a look.

“For starters, she gets to be exempted from her sentences if she is willing to help the police.”

The lawyer’s ears perked up at that. He stepped to Yael and whispered, “Take it.”

“But why should I? I have no interest in helping them.”

“As long as it doesn’t give you a record, and your parents don’t kill you, I’ll suggest for you to take it. I’m your lawyer, I know what’s best.”

JB tapped the table, getting their attention.

“Just so you know, Moonhee took the deal. She’s waiting outside for you.”

Yael tapped her chin, considering all her options and their consequences and benefits. She glanced at her lawyer, who was giving her a look to accept their offer.

“Fine, I’ll take it.” She stood up. “But I want rights to re-open cases.”

Jinyoung sighed, shaking his head.

“There’s nothing you’ll do unless there is some form of returns, huh?” He mumbled. “Just like how you treated those men and the police database.”

“What was that?” She had heard him. “You’ll never know why I did what I did unless you were in my shoes. Get off your high horse.”

Her lawyer stepped back, making way for her to walk. The duo headed to the doors and walked out.

 

***

 

“El!”

Yael looked up from the conversation with her lawyer and saw Moonhee calling her from the waiting area. She gave her lawyer a nod and went over to her best friend.

“Are you insane? I clearly told you to leave,” Moonhee chided her lightly as she wrapped her arms around her.

“You know why I did that,” Yael countered, the back of her head.

They broke the hug and hooked arms. Someone cleared their throat behind them. It was Taecyeon. A look of disdain immediately took over Moonhee’s features as she turned away from the Chief Officer.

 

“Daughter!” A feminine voice sounded.

“Ma!” Moonhee broke into a smile and strolled towards her mother, Yael slowly letting go of her friend.

“What happened to you? Why are you at the police station?” She fussed over the younger girl, hands flying all over her face and body, checking for bruises.

“Ma, I’m fine.” Moonhee wrapped her arms around her mother’s neck. “Can you make me some ramen when we get home?”

The older woman nodded and grabbed her hand, afraid that her daughter would disappear from her side.

“Yael, you wanna come?” Moonhee threw a glance over her shoulder.

 

“Princess.”

All 3 women turned towards the foreign voice and saw another well-dressed man heading their way. The lawyer bowed politely as the middle-aged man stopped in front of Yael.

“Dad,” she whispered. “You’re here?”

He just gave her a nod and spread his arms, smiling at his daughter.

“Dad.”

Yael hugged her father. He patted her head, comforting the girl silently. He then kissed the crown of her head before she pulled away.

“Sushi?” He asked.

She nodded, a smile working on her lips.

 

The two best friends linked arms to exit the precinct together while their respective parent lagged behind them. The girls had just stepped towards the general office when Moonhee was almost knocked off her feet by a passing officer.

“Watch it,” she snarled.

Yael held onto her friend, glaring at the officer. She noticed how the officer was glaring at Moonhee, seemingly upset about something.

Moonhee rubbed her shoulder, pulling on Yael’s hand.

 

***

 

That night, Jaebum received a letter at his doorstep. He grabbed in, entered his house and threw it onto his sofa. Dumping his keys on the shelf, he headed to the fridge and grabbed a couple of beers.

He plopped down on the cushions, reaching lazily for the remote. Cracking a can open and gulping down several mouthfuls of alcohol, JB felt his shoulders lighten.

He closed his eyes for a few minutes before the news came on.

 

Breaking news.

31-year-old tuition teacher, Bang Jiwoong, was reported missing by his family. He was last seen leaving his tuition centre at 4.12pm yesterday afternoon and he was not seen since then. Anyone who has information on him, do contact the police at this number below.

Now, let’s take a look at the weather forecast for tomorrow.

 

Jaebum groaned, realised that there would be extra workload for him. He switched the television off and dropped his hand. He felt the envelope. Leaving the remote aside, he took the envelope.

“No address, no stamps and addressed to me.” He muttered. “Something’s not right.”

He threw it into the bin next to him, not caring if he had missed it. He pushed himself off the sofa and dragged himself to his room, to his bed. He drifted off the sleep the moment his head hit the pillow.

 

*

 

The next morning, Jaebum woke up to his ringing phone. He rubbed his face and trudged out of his room, to the kitchen to grab himself a glass of water fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter