S44

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Moonhee shuffled her way towards Jaebum’s ward a couple of days later. He had been wheeled to a normal ward a day before she was allowed to be off the bed. She took the first chance she got to visit him, well… because he saved her life.

That pipe could have killed her if Jungmin’s strangulation didn’t. Her thigh was getting better, although she refused crutches.

She entered JB’s ward quietly, she didn’t want to disturb his rest - although she did want him to wake up sooner. She figured out the feelings she had been battling with herself - she cared for him and that Jaebum was important to her.

“I’m not a bossy person,” she muttered under her breath when she stood next to him. “But you have been down for way too long for a detective, Im Jaebum.”

His steady breathing was a huge relief to her, to show that he was still alive and well. Assurance was what she needed.

“I heard what you told me. That I’m your friend and you’re proud of me,” she headed to the washroom to grab a small basin of water and a face towel.

She dropped the towel into the water before wringing it free of excess water. She wiped his hands, as though he had gotten his hands dirty.

“I’m proud of you too, and thankful that you’re my friend. Thanks for having my back despite me being such a sometimes.”

Sighing, she stopped wiping and fell sitting on the chair.

“So, I need you to wake up, so I can thank you properly.”

The door to Jaebum’s ward opened and Jinyoung walked in. Moonhee got to her feet, making space for the male to sit. He shook his head, rejecting the chair.

“You just got well, you sit.”

Moonhee took the basin and nudged Jinyoung to the chair, “Just sit. I need to leave soon. Yael’s home right?”

He nodded, “She’s sleeping.”

“El’s not sleeping well because of me, isn’t it?” She let out another breath.

Jinyoung dropped his head, “She’s afraid of going to sleep, in case anything happened to you.”

“I’ll go check on her.”

She excused herself to the toilet and shut the door. Jinyoung tucked JB in, putting his arms under the blanket. He sat down, took Jungmin’s files from his bag and started going through them. He needed to find specific details of his victims to aid investigations. His current punishment was death. The upcoming trial was to sentence him properly.

His trial was coming up the next day, time was of the essence. No lawyer wanted to represent Jungmin, he was appointed a state lawyer.

 

A soft grunt got Jinyoung’s attention. He looked up and saw Jaebum stirring. He dropped his files, shooting up to his feet.

“Hyung,” he leaned over JB.

His eyes cracked open and he took a deep breath. Jinyoung reached for the button for the nurse when JB slowly reached for his mask.

“Stop,” Jinyoung dropped the button. “Hyung.”

He was mumbling something, he couldn’t hear. JB needed to remove his mask to let his words sound clearer. He barely lifted it when Jinyoung helped me.

“For 30 seconds,” he gave in. “How are you feeling?”

“W-Where’s Moonhee?” His voice was hoarse. “How is s-she?”

“Hyung... I take back my words, put the mask back on, I'll go get the doctor.”

Jinyoung slipped his hand away but JB grabbed him back weakly.

“Where is she?” He took several deep breaths. “Is she alright?”

“You just got up after 3 days and the first person you worry about is Moonhee?”

The toilet door slid open, Jinyoung looked up and smiled, “Why don't you ask her yourself?”

Jaebum’s hand slid off Jinyoung’s and rolled his head to the other side and saw Moonhee wiping her hands on a piece of tissue while looking at him.

“Im Jaebum!” She called out, limping towards his bedside.

JB held her fingers, his eyes roamed her face. She was relieved to see him awake. Jinyoung pressed his lips together and headed out to get the doctor.

“A-Are you okay?”

Jaebum slowly lifted his hand, wanting to hold Moonhee’s face to make sure he wasn't hallucinating. She let him and used her own hand to press his palm against her cheek.

When he felt the warmth of her face, he let out a breathy chuckle.

“It’s really you…”

Moonhee rolled her eyes, using her other hand to wipe her tears. He cursed, a sharp ache hitting his side when he tried to sit up. Moonhee sprang to her feet, helping him.

“You are such an .” She chided after he managed to sit up.

“Why are you still scolding me? Especially after I saved your life?”

She slapped his chest. He winced, making her feel guilty for hitting him.

“Hey, I’m the patient here.”

“Serves you right.” She sat down. “You shouldn’t have done that. Do you know you almost died?!”

Jaebum watched her with adoration in his eyes. The near-death forced him to accept his feelings for Moonhee. When he was down, all he could see was her face. The only thing he could think of was, how he would feel if he never got to see her again.

How would the after-life be like without her?

“Moonhee,” he called her.

She looked at him. JB motioned for her to sit on the bed, to be closer to him. She obliged, he immediately cupped her face and caressed her cheek with his thumb.

“I told you. I'll be your shield,” a soft smile tugged on his lips. “But I got there too late.”

He contemp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter