S28

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonhee woke up groaning the next morning, a massive headache attacked her as she sat up on her bed. Rubbing her temples, she glanced around the room and realised she was back at Yael’s place.

Slipping out of bed, she shuffled her way down to the kitchen, where her best friend was cooking some porridge.

“Yo,” she mumbled and sat at the counter.

“You’re awake,” Yael glanced over her shoulder. “I’ll be ready in a minute.”

Moonhee put her head on the counter, closing her eyes, hoping to relief a little of her headache.

“How are you feeling?”

She grunted, “Like a dead man.”

Yael chuckled and switched the fire off. She brought the bowl of porridge to Moonhee, sitting opposite her.

“What happened?” She asked her friend as she began on her food. “Why did you drink so much yesterday?”

Moonhee dropped her spoon and let out a big sigh.

“The old man’s getting married. Next month,” she whispered softly. “He sent me an invitation, to be there as the flower girl.”

She scoffed.

“Flower girl. Does he still think I’m 12?”

Yael’s face fell as she looked at her friend with worry. She sat beside her and pulled the girl into a hug.

“You don’t have to go if you don’t want you, you know?”

“I know but…”

Yael broke the hug and straightened her back.

“Let’s not think about that now, you just got up.”

Moonhee sighed and started eating again.

“The guys are worried about you, let’s head over to the precinct after you freshen up.”

Yael wanted to go wash her face when she saw a piece of white paper slotted in under her door. She picked it up, wondering what it was until she saw the name on the envelope.

“Hee…” She whispered under her breath. “It’s him… He knows where I live too…”

She tore the envelope open just as Moonhee stepped up behind her. The two girls stared at the paper while Yael pulled the note out.

 

why have you been So busy? is it because of your best friend? Or because of that good-for-Nothing cop?! i believe we had more than this. God. never did i think you will Hook up with the officer. i did Everything for you! Everything. it this how you plan to Justify my love for you. Is that it?!

 

“He knows… He knows about Jaebum,” Moonhee muttered.

Yael left her side and reached to get her phone. Composing an empty message, she keyed in the name given in the letter.

“Song Heeji.”

“We have to tell Jaebum and Jinyoung about this, it has gone too far. He knows where we both live.”

 

***

 

The two girls arrived in a cab outside the precinct and saw officers bringing in a group of badly beaten up boys. They entered after them, the guard at the entrance giving them a nod of acknowledgement.

“Miss Heavyweight, are you feeling better?”

Jinyoung and JB strolled up towards them and Moonhee chuckled at the former’s words.

“Still surviving.”

JB’s worried gaze scanned her entire being before clearing his throat.

“Glad to see you sober,” he coughed.

Jinyoung and Yael exchanged looks and smiled. Moonhee nudged her friend, they weren’t sure if this was the right time to tell them about the letters.

The officers made space for Moonhee to head into the office to rest. An officer came walking up to them, before speaking with JB.

“What’s going on?” He asked. “What’s with those boys?”

“These boys were found in a huge gang fight over heroin.”

JB inhaled, “There’s a drug case on my turf and no one told me about it until now?”

The junior officer handed him a file and lowered his gaze sheepishly, “The entire precinct was busy with the sins killer, we thought it wasn’t as serious.”

“Not as serious?!” JB fumed. “Any case that comes through the doors of this precinct should be treated with importance!”

 

Moonhee stopped in her tracks when she heard what they had said. Yael quickly held onto her friend, Jinyoung looked on in confusion.

“What’s wrong?” Yael asked.

“T-They… Drug possession?”

Her knees weakened and she stumbled backwards. Jinyoung immediately caught Moonhee’s arm before the girls fell. JB ran over.

“What’s going on?”

Moonhee was trembling, her eyes were vacant as she stared at her fingers. Everything was awfully familiar to her, so familiar that it was scaring her.

“What happened?” JB asked Jinyoung, who shrugged. “I don’t know, she suddenly fell.”

“N-No…” The girl whimpered.

Yael watched her friend as she shook, she was upset she didn’t know what was happening and how she couldn’t help.

“Bring her into the back room,” Jaebum offered. “Now.”

 

*

 

Jinyoung handed Moonhee a mug of hot coffee, in attempt to stop her trembling. He had lent her his jacket earlier, thinking she was cold. She forced a smile onto her face, not wanting the people in the room to be worried for her.

“I’m fine,” she mustered her strength to say.

Jaebum kept looking out the window of the room, seemingly fidgety about something.

“Are you rushing to go somewhere? It’s okay, you can go.”

He faced Moonhee with a short smile, “It’s okay, the interrogation can wait.”

The scene from earlier came flooding into her mind, she pushed herself off the sofa and walked over to JB. He watched her come closer, his heart started to race.

“W-What..?”

“Can I come?” She asked. “To the interrogation.”

“Why? You should rest.”

“I just want to be there, please?”

With her plead, JB felt himself soften. He nodded. Jinyoung and Yael went up to Moonhee and she passed them the jacket and mug to them.

“Let’s go.”

 

*

 

The quartet settled in the observation room, behind the one-way mirror as the interrogation went on. Moonhee was biting on her nails, her eyes fixated on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter