S21

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A shiver ran down Moonhee’s spine as she read the words over and over again.

What exactly did I do to deserve this nonsense?

Huffing, she folded the note and stuffed it into her pocket. There was another knock on the door and she shot her gaze over to the door.

“What? Is there another letter for me?” She hissed.

Jaebum ignored her words, “As much as I want to tell you how much I don’t care about whatever you are talking about, we have to get to work. There has been another report of a body.”

That got Moonhee moving towards him.

 

The both of them passed his office, Jinyoung joining them. Yael came back from the pantry and saw the three of them preparing to leave.

“Where are you guys going?” She set her mug down. “I wanna come.”

“No,” Moonhee and Jinyoung exclaimed simultaneously. “You are staying here.”

“But I feel so bored being here all alone. I promise I won’t do anything vigorous.”

Jinyoung glanced at JB, he gave them a swift nod and his heels, leaving to the car.

“Fine, let’s go.” Moonhee motioned for Yael to go with her.

 

***

 

Yael pinched her nose when she reached the crime scene. Moonhee scrunched her nose at the smell lingering in the air.

It was the smell of rotting burnt flesh and it was choking the area from having fresh air.

“What’s that god-awful smell?” Moonhee cursed.

“That would be your 5th victim,” Johnny dusted his hands and stepped towards her.

She realised he was standing closer to her than she liked, she took a small step away. He didn’t notice her actions but Jaebum did. He rose his brows.

“5th victim already?” Jinyoung sighed.

Moonhee took this chance to step away and headed towards the corpse on the warehouse floor.

He was strapped to a chair - usually used by dentists - where a small container of acid with a dripper was positioned above his face.

The skin on the man’s face was horribly burnt and flesh was black due to the constant exposure to acid burns.

“Results gather from my forensics show that the wounds on his face are inflicted antemortem,” Johnny folded his arms.

“He was tortured to death?”

Jaebum shook his head at the information, lifting the man’s left arm up with his gloved hand, checking for other signs of harm.

“He struggled alright, terribly,” Johnny explained. “Abrasions were found circling his wrists.”

“Sir, we found who our victim is.” Another officer came running with a laptop.

JB received the computer and read the name out loud.

“Do Dongwoo.”

That name made Yael run towards them. Moonhee ran after her, upset that she decided to strain herself.

“Do Dongwoo?” She repeated. “Do Kyungsoo’s son?”

Jinyoung glanced at her.

“How did you know that?”

Moonhee piped up, “Do Dongwoo was Yael’s childhood playmate. Their fathers knew each other.”

“I lost contact with him after my parents got divorced and my dad moved away,” Yael whispered. “Who knew…”

“Pride,” Jinyong caught sight of Dongwoo’s right arm when the coroners lifted the body off the chair and onto the stretcher.

“What?” Moonhee’s eyes widened. “He’s Pride?”

“What happened to him?” Yael asked.

“There’s a small note attached to him and it mentioned that he was rejected by Seo Bona, the supermodel and he disfigured her. So he was paying for his sins.” JB read off the note, summarising the main points.

“It’s a little extreme, isn’t it? To drop acid on his face like that.”

Johnny came running from the van.

“Guys,” he panted. “There’s something I forgot to mention.”

“What is it?”

“Dongwoo’s throat and oesophagus have been burnt… by acid. He was forced to drink acid.”

Yael covered in rude shock.

“Got it, thanks, John.” Jinyoung nodded.

 

Yael tugged on Moonhee’s arm.

“I can’t stand this anymore.” She huffed. “You know that thing we used to do back in school?”

Moonhee gave her best friend a look.

“The class where we were thought to recreate the scene of the crime by putting ourselves in the shoes of the victims?”

The latter was sceptical, she felt that something was starting to brew.

And she was right.

“Well, the professor mentioned you are the best on that subject.”

“El, you know what happens when I do that…” Moonhee bit her lip. “I can't do it again.”

“Just this once,” Yael begged. “I promise I’ll be there to pull you back.”

“I… almost hurt you last time I did this. I… don’t want to risk any chances.”

Yael shook her head, “You almost did. But you didn’t. Please, Hee. Just this once. To get this sick son of a arrested and get the case solved. You won’t want more people to die right?”

Moonhee thought to herself, “Right. There is still Wrath and Greed.”

“Fine. Let’s get him before he gets me- anyone else.”

The girls called Jaebum and Jinyoung back, telling them they would want to try to reconstruct the crime scene again.

“Who’s gonna be Dongwoo?”

“I will,” Yael raised her arm and tied her hair up into a ponytail. “I know him better than you guys do.”

“And the killer-”

Moonhee reluctantly got into position. She gave Yael a meaningful look and mouthed, “Promise you’ll pull me back.”

Her friend nodded and she closed her eyes.

What would I do if I’m the killer?

 

*

 

Moonhee’s shot open and she wasn’t who she was. She immersed herself in the role of the murderer.

“You,” she spun around and pointed at Yael.

Jinyoung and Jaebum found themselves surprised at her change in aura.

Moonhee charged forward and grabbed Yael’s hair, dragging her towards the chair. Yael played along and begged for help, although her scalp was burning.

The two officers followed after them as Moonhee strapped her friend down.

“You’ve sinned. You disfigured a beautiful supermodel just because she rejected you?” She slammed her hands down on the handle of the chair, shaking the furniture. “You have caused someone to suffer all their life because of your stupidity.”

She reached for the metal bar she saw underneath the chair, a loose part of the structure. Tapping it on her palm, she smirked eerily.

Yael’s eyes widened. No metal bar was found as a weapon that hurt Dongwoo.

“What kind of person are you to take revenge on something like that?” She rose the bar above her head, ready to bring it down on Yael.

“Payback time.”

Before the bar could hit Yael, Jaebum grabbed it from behind. She whipped around, still in character, and tried to tug the weapon back.

“ing police. Let go!” She hissed. “Incompetent trash! How could you let rubbish like this roam free when they have clearly committed a crime?!”

“Noh Moonhee! It’s me!” JB tried shaking her out of her thoughts. “Stop it!”

Yael fidgeted and called for Jinyoung, “Park Jinyoung! Untie me!”

 

Moonhee sent a kick to JB’s shin but he held onto the pain. He didn’t want Moonhee and Yael to get hurt.

“Let go of me!” She yelled. “You ing police!”

“Stop!” Yael came and grabbed her, spinning her around.

Moonhee narrowed her eyes at her and suddenly, all the hatred in her eyes disapp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter