S03

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonhee got home - Yael went to her mom’s place as her dad wasn’t home - and grabbed the letters in her mailbox.

She stayed in a modest little apartment, with just enough space for her, occasionally having Yael for sleepovers. She stopped living with her mother ever since her father left.

That place just… held too many memories for her. It was overwhelming.

Memories of her once perfect family of four.

Her parents, once so loving.

Her brother…

Her brother.

She shook her head. She threw her keys on the small coffee-table she had and began to go through her mail.

“Junk. Junk. More junk.” She threw those bills and advertisements onto the floor.

She was going to dump everything on the sofa and come back to them later when she noticed something buried at the back.

She fished it out and it was an old paper type of envelope with no stamp or address written on it.

It was just her name.

She reached for her keys to slit open the envelope. Inside, was just a piece of rough worn out paper.

She pulled it out and read its contents.

 

Hi moonhee

I’m your admirer. i’ve had my eyes on you since high school.

Actually, since you were 12.

since we go to the same school, Behind your house, i get to see you all the time.

sometimes, i think of you. i think of you when i pick a gift. i think of you when i wrap the present. Everything.

till my next letter, kisses from me

your admirer

 

She rolled her eyes at the letter. She crushed it up and aimed it at the wastepaper basket. She threw but missed it. It landed behind the TV console.

Letting out a groan, she pushed herself off the sofa and went to pick up the paper.

Her phone rang mid step. She went to answer the call and forgot about the paper.

 

“Hey,” she answered, putting the call on speaker. “What’s up?”

She padded towards the kitchen while tying her hair into a high ponytail.

“Come over tomorrow. We have to discuss the next step to this professor you’re meeting on Wednesday.”

“Great timing, I need to head to the gym,” Moonhee answered. “See you tomorrow then.”

“Yeap.”

A click sounded as the call disconnected. She walked out of the kitchen carrying a packet of instant noodles and a small cooker with a pot.

She sat before the TV and switched on the cooker. She proceeded to pour water in and waited for it to boil before completing the steps of making ramen.

 

***

 

Jaebum and Jinyoung made their way down to the school again the next day, the moment they reported for work. They went straight to the crime scene and saw students crowding around the door.

“We were just here yesterday, and right after we left, fire happens,” Jinyoung whispered. “Talk about eerie.”

“What happened?” Jaebum pulled a station officer to him.

“Sir.” He saluted before continuing. “The source of the fire is an explosive near the foot of the table. It’s a small Molotov thrown from a small distance away, presumingly 8 metres.”

The officer stepped back and showed the two detectives the room, before pointing to the backdoor of the office - the second entrance.

“The suspect would have been standing there and threw the Molotov.” Jaebum pointed out. “To be able to throw and hit the table on target, would show that the suspect is about 167 in height and a right hander.”

Jinyoung nodded, “The suspect is most probably male since around 85% of serial arsonists are that specific gender.”

Jaebum then turned to the other officers and signalled for them to gather.

“Are there any witnesses?”

An officer stepped up and brought 3 students with him. They went up to Jaebum and Jinyoung when they recognised that the 3 boys were the ones harassing a couple of girls the day before.

“Come with me.”

Jaebum went off while the three boys followed, Jinyoung was last.

 

“Jinyoung, I always thought you were joking. You’re really a cop?” Jiwoong piped up.

“Holy . Are we gonna get in trouble?” Taemin whimpered.

“Shut up. I’m on duty.” Jinyoung ordered with a low voice. “My partner is going to talk to you about yesterday. Just be truthful and nothing will happen to you.”

He pushed them into an empty classroom where Jaebum had already stood waiting, arms folded across his chest.

 

“What can you tell me about yesterday?” JB asked the trio, eyes pinned on them like a predator watching its prey.

Seunghyun started, “We were reporting to our discipline master for… some issues and when we pulled open the door--”

“I smelled something really funky!” Taemin squeaked. “Before I could put a name to the smell, the fire happened.”

“It must be that chick yesterday! It must be her.” Jiwoong nodded frantically. “She threatened us with fire and it really happened!”

Jinyoung smacked the back of their heads with a file, “That’s because you guys were ually harassing them!”

The boys paled, “You saw?”

He rolled his eyes, giving them a are-you-serious-of-course-I-was-there look.

Jaebum was rubbing his chin. His thought flitted back to the girl and shook his head, “She doesn’t fit the basic profile.”

He then lifted his head to look at the boys. “I want you guys to call this number if you remember anything else. And,” he narrowed his eyes at them. “Stay out of trouble. Stop harassing girls like it’s your hobby.”

JB and Jinyoung were going to leave the room when Seunghyun piped up.

“Sir! I think I heard the door slamming shut and footsteps running off into the corridor when the fire happened. It’s towards that,” he pointed out the door and down on the left, “direction.”

“Right. Thanks.”

 

***

 

“So there have been rumours of this professor that he helps his female students out. A lot. Passionate about teaching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter