S45

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonhee prepared herself to watch the end of Jungmin. It was her first time watching an execution, it wasn’t going to be easy but it was going to be worth it. She could confirm he had been killed with her own two eyes.

She settled in the room behind the glass, to watch from her seat. Her eyes were glassy, her jaw taut. She watched the technician walk over to the machines to check on the different coloured liquids. When he was sure everything was in place, police officers dragged Jungmin onto the bed-chair and strapped him down.

Jaebum wanted to come, to accompany Moonhee but he wasn’t feeling well enough to walk around. Moonhee wouldn’t let him come either way, she wanted to go through this herself. Yael forcefully latched herself onto her, best friends stick together.

“Anyone with last words for him?”

Moonhee contemplated, before raising her hand. Yael clawing for her, but she reassured her best friend she was going to be alright.

“Jinyoung’s with me. I’ll be fine,” she winked and went down.

The door to the execution room opened, making Jungmin look up from the bed. He cracked a grin and started cheering, “Hey! My angel’s here to see me!”

Moonhee slowly walked over, Jinyoung grabbed her arm. He wanted to stop her before she passed through the doors. She glanced at him, signalling she was alright to do that alone. He let go, she sauntered over to him.

“Here to watch me go?”

Moonhee took a quiet deep breath and stared down at the male. She could see her own reflection in his eyes. He was behaving like he was going to someplace fun.

“You are never going to forget me,” he smirked. “You’ll always be my angel.”

She held her breath, not wanting his words to affect her, she whispered, “You know what?”

Moonhee gently touched Jungmin’s face. Guards rushed forward to stop her but Jinyoung signalled for them to fall back.

She gave him a look of thanks and turned back to the male awaiting death.

“I figured why you did what you did.”

He smirked, quirking an eyebrow, taunting her to reveal what she knew about him.

“Why? Tell me.”

“You hated your mother for mentally and emotionally abusing you for years when you were a kid. You lashed out this way to find that solace you have been seeking but you never found it. You know why?”

He glared at her. She was getting too close.

“Because you hated yourself more than you hated her.”

Jungmin stilled.

“I know how that feels like,” she whistled. “When i was assaulted, I blamed myself for not having the courage to fight back. Even when I had the chance to many years later, I still couldn't. But that's okay. At least I have friends.”

She glanced over her shoulder. Jaebum and Yael were sitting in the audience.

“I always have people to pull me back, but you’ll just be a pathetic little who wasn't loved.”

Jungmin growled and thrashed in his chair.

“I think I gave you the easy way out by proposing the death penalty. But at least you’ll die knowing your favourite angel killed you.”

 

She turned and walked to the door, to return to the audience when Jungmin let out a high pitched chuckle as the injection started.

“Well, Noh Moonhee. You’ll forever live in memories of me and what I did to you and your brother.”

She whipped around to see one last smirk on his face. He started convulsing for a full minute before a gasp left his lips and the light faded in his eyes.

 

“Time of death, 4.37pm.”

 

Moonhee felt her knees weaken. She stumbled backwards and found herself against a warm embrace. She snapped her gaze up, only to see Jaebum’s smiling face at her.

“W-What…”

“I know you said you could do this by yourself,” he righted her. “But I want to be here.”

“But you just--” She took a breath before rolling her eyes at him, “You are one stubborn dude, you know that?”

He grinned, “A stubborn dude for a stubborn gal.”

 

---

 

Jinyoung and Yael went to get the car while Jaebum accompanied Moonhee. The black sedan rolled up in front of them, she helped JB into the car but remained standing outside herself.

“Why aren’t you coming in?” The trio asked.

“I have to go somewhere,” she smiled. “I’ll head back to the precinct after I’m done.”

She took a step back and shut the door before anyone could dissuade her from doing what she wanted. The wound on her thigh was starting to ache, but she ignored it.

 

Moonhee arrived at the cemetery with a huge bouquet of flowers in her hands. Stopping in front of her brother’s grave, she let out a genuine laugh.

“Hi, oppa.”

She set the flowers down. She took the hem of her shirt and wiped Taehyun’s photo free of dust.

“I just came from the execution. Oppa, Jungmin’s dead. The man who robbed you of your life has gotten his retribution.”

A small breeze blew by, she closed her eyes to bask in the comforting wind.

“I’m recovering well, don’t worry about me.” She touched his photo lovingly and sat down on his grave. “Hyunbin’s under police investigation for and murder. His injuries are doing well if you’re curious about that.”

There was a short pause.

“Oppa, why did you not tell me Hyunbin liked me? Was it because you knew he was like this and didn’t want him to be near me? Trust you to always being protective and not telling me anything.”

She could hear Teahyun’s voice in her head.

“You know how much I love you. I knew there was something off about him, so I kept you away from him. I didn’t want my only baby sister to suffer again.”

Moonhee could see Taehyun grinning boyishly at her when she closed her eyes.

“How’s that officer? The one who saved you?”

“Jaebum’s doing well too.”

Her smile fell when she mentioned the male. Another breeze came by, as though Taehyun was caressing her cheek.

“Why d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter