S33

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The next morning, Jaebum woke up to sounds of washing in the kitchen. He sat up from the sofa, rubbing his face to get rid of the sleepiness in his system. He got up and headed towards the kitchen.

“Morning,” she greeted without looking up.

JB hummed and proceeded to get a cup of water for himself. She let out a breath.

“Thank you.”

He froze, “What?”

Moonhee let out a whisper, “Thank you. For what you did yesterday.”

Jaebum let out a genuine smile and poured another cup of water for her. He went to her, pushed the cup to her hands and took the soapy pot out of her hands. She felt an uneasy feeling shooting up her spine at the close proximity.

“I’ll do it,” he offered.

She took the cup and stepped away. She took a deep breath, sipping from the cup. JB had a nagging question he wanted to ask, but he was worried how she would take it.

“What do you want to ask me?” She piped up, surprising him. “Ask away.”

“Did you ever think of getting a PPO against him?”

She stilled.

“PPO?”

“Personal Protection Order. It’s for people under domestic violence--”

“I know what that is,” she sat down. “I tried to apply for one, but this guy wasn’t a family member. I couldn’t.”

“What about a restraining order?” JB sat opposite her. “I’m sure--”

She shook her head with a small chuckle.

“You wouldn’t be able to get that too, if you had a father who trusts his best friend more than he trusts his child.” Moonhee lifted her head. “He got so mad at me for applying the PPO behind his back. When he found out I applied for the RO, you could only imagine what he did to me.”

She swiped her hair over her left shoulder, her loose t-shirt revealed a thick darkened scar over her right shoulder. JB’s eyes widened.

“He hit you?”

Anger bubbled in his gut. Moonhee glanced down at her right shoulder and nodded, pulling her sleeve up to cover her skin.

“With a leather belt. The hook got caught in my shirt and cut my skin when my dad tugged it off me.”

“And you’re still going to his wedding?”

“I have to. He’s still my father, no matter how much I hated him. Besides, I’m taking you.”

A pregnant silence settled over them for a couple of minutes. JB cleared his throat when he couldn’t stand it, so he got up. His phone pinged, making Moonhee look up.

“Let’s go. Jinyoung just sent me a text saying we’re needed.”

He subconsciously reached for her arm but she flinched away violently. Hopping out of the seat, she was shaking. Her eyes darted everywhere except Jaebum and she took a couple of steps back.

“I-I’ll go get ready,” she murmured and ran out of the kitchen.

JB was confused but remembered her incident the night before, he slapped himself for forgetting.

 

---

 

“Hee-ah!”

Yael and Jinyoung came jogging towards Moonhee and Jaebum the moment they stepped into the precinct. Yael reached out to hold her best friend’s hand but JB got between them, giving the former a look. She watched him and realised what he meant.

“How are you feeling?” She asked while stepping back. “Did you rest well?”

Jinyoung held Yael’s hand, squeezing it to tell her things were going to be okay.

“I’m good,” Moonhee nodded, side-stepping JB. “What’s happening?”

Yael took her hand away from Jinyoung and followed after her. They walked towards the viewing room to watch the on-going interrogation with Minseok. The two officers just quietly trailed after the girls.

“Are you sure you want to watch?”

Moonhee turned around, “Yes. I want to know what he has to say.”

Yael patted her arm without thinking, making Moonhee jump backwards and hold her right arm. Yael was shocked at her reaction because she had never seen her behave like that.

“Hee-ya…”

“I’m good, I’m good,” she chanted, curling her hair behind her ears. Her gaze was directed at her feet while shaking her head. “I’m good.”

They entered the room. Minseok was screaming, the officers were not entertaining his wants and kept pressing for answers.

“So what if you guys found out I was the dealer? Tell Moonhee her brother got what he deserved.”

Yael, Jinyoung and Jaebum slowly turned around to look at Moonhee, who had her hands clenched tightly to her sides as she stared hard at Minseok. The intensity of her gaze was scaring Yael.

“Got what he deserved? You framed an innocent boy for drugs that you consumed. Those boys were just your vessels to sell the drugs within the school and your scapegoats when the matter ever blows up because no one ever knew your identity.”

Minseok scoffed, “Which was why I said it was what he deserved. Noh Taehyun got close, too close, to finding out who I was.”

 

Moonhee trembled at the words.

“So you decided to frame my brother for something you did?” She muttered under her breath.

Memories of her brother being outcasted and her being bullied came flooding into her head.

She turned to the group behind her and apologised.

“I’m sorry. I don’t think I can stay here. I’ll head home, I have something I have to attend tonight.”

Moonhee walked towards the exit briskly, JB panicked and turned to Jinyoung.

“I’m taking urgent leave.”

Yael grabbed his arm, “What’s that thing she has to attend? She can’t be out in the open when Minwoo’s still around.”

“Her father’s getting married tonight,” he informed mindlessly. But before he ran after her, he added, “I’ll be going with her. Don’t worry.”

 

-

 

Jaebum turned the corner and saw Moonhee across the street. He quickly ran up to her and his face softened when he saw her hugging herself.

“Moonhee...” He stopped her from walking.

Her head still hung low.

“Leave me alone,” her voice came out strangled. “I’ll be waiting for you at my place, go get ready and come pick me up. 8pm.”

“Huh?”

“Tuxedo.”

With that, she turned to the road, hailed a cab and left.

 

---

 

Moonhee felt really suffocated as she dressed herself up for the wedding. Standing in front of the mirror, she forced herself to stare at every bruise Minwoo had left on her. She forced herself to trace every scar on her body.

To never forget why she hated men in the first place. She shouldn’t start wavering.

“Men always betray,” she whispered under her breath as she zipped herself up. “They always do.”

A knock on the door brought her back from her thoughts. She grabbed her clutch and padded towards the door, her heels were waiting for her next to the shoe rack.

She pulled the door open and there stood Jaebum, in all his handsome glory. His hair was slicked back neatly, giving off a bad boy look, instead of his usual-cop demeanour.

His eyes widened when he noticed how simple but beautiful her outfit looked. With gold and black, they brought out the classier side of Moonhee, the troublemaker.

“You look… good,” he complimented.

She glanced down at herself and eyed him from head to toe, returning the cheeky look. “You cleaned up well yourself.”

He let out an amused breath, “Are you ready to leave?”

She crouched down lightly to grab her shoes and swiftly wore them before stepping towards him. He motioned her towards his Lexus waiting alongside the road. She locked her door, all 3 types of locks. Jaebum watched her, his heartstrings tugging at the method she used to feel secure.

“Let’s go,” she proposed when she was done.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter