S23

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moonhee was struggling to stay awake. Blood painted her entire face, busted lips and cuts all over the cheeks and forehead. The metal pole had been discarded aside, dented from the pressure Dongjin used to hold the weapon.

“Why are you doing this?” Moonhee asked, her eyes stinging from the blood. “There's no point. Justice isn't there for everyone. I didn't get mine when I begged for it, so what makes you think you can provide justice when the police can't even do their job?”

“I am an officer of the law. I am supposed to be catching criminals and bringing justice to the families of the victims. But the crude law and criminal justice system are so ing corrupted that they let those guilty ones go!”

Moonhee let out a painful scoff and he started pacing up and down the room, he was very agitated about not being able to arrest all those who were committing crimes.

“I can’t be stuck in the office, doing paperwork all day, when the real crimes are out there! Why can’t the precinct just give me a chance to work on a real case? Always saying I’m not ready… How am I not ready?!”

He kept walking up and down, mumbling to himself, like he was the only one in the room.

Moonhee glanced over at the stepfather. As reluctant as she was, she knew she had to save him. Yael’s mother only had him as her other half for the rest of her life, she can’t let him die like that.

“Hey,” she tried calling for the male to get up, but there was no response.

She scooted closer, to check if he was still alive. His chest heaved alright, but slowly, like he was trying to preserve his energy.

“W-what…”

“Oh great, you’re alive,” she sighed quietly. “I’m gonna get us out of here. Just hold on.”

She looked up, checking on Dongjin and his attention. He was still mumbling about injustice.

“What’s so wrong about killing useless people like them?! Those who have no sense of shame and guilt. Those that continue..!” He seethed. “Those that continue to do wrong and they walk free. They! They deserve to be killed. THEY! Deserve to DIE!”

Moonhee held her breath as she tried to pull her hands out from her bounds when Dongjin whipped around, eyes staring sharply at her, finger jabbing in her direction.

“I gave you so many chances to turn over a new leaf. I gave you so many chances to stop lying and cheating! I sent you those letters to get you to stop. But you not only continue, you went overboard!”

He let out a sadistic grin.

“Now, it’s time for me to punish you.”

He lunged at her, hands circling and tightened his hold. She managed to get her hands loose and quickly reached for her necklace, pressing on the pendant and activating the tracking device embedded within.

With a swift kick, she pushed Dongjin off her body while coughing violently, reaching for . He doubled over in pain, holding his crotch.

Moonhee stood up, grabbing Yael’s stepfather as she did, heaving his arm over her shoulder and making him lean on her.

“Let’s go,” she huffed, the full weight of a man was pressing on her exhausted frame.

 

***

 

“Moonhee’s pendant is activated!” Yael called, looking up from her laptop.

Jaebum and Jinyoung crowded around the computer, peering at the screen.

“Isn’t this..?” Jinyoung tapped his chin. “Near somewhere?”

Yael furrowed her brows before her eyes lit up.

“At the old precinct in the town area! Someone thought it was possessed by evil spirits and everyone abandoned the building, avoiding it like plague.”

“Let’s go!” JB barked. “Team A, you guys are coming along! Team B, check Dongjin’s home for more clues! A search warrant has just been passed down to me, move out!”

The trio then ran off towards the vehicles while the other officers got ready to leave.

 

***

 

Moonhee limped, bringing Yael’s stepfather towards the main door of the old building. She wanted to find a safe spot to hide the man until the authorities arrived.

“You are never getting away until you get your punishment!”

Dongjin reached out and grabbed her hair. He pulled her back, causing her to let go of the badly injured male. Moonhee held onto Dongjin’s hand to try and elevate the pain from the tugging on her scalp.

“I am not done with your punishments!” He shoved her against the wall, fingers tangled in her hair.

“I.”

“Want.”

“You.”

“Punished!”

With every word he spat, he slammed her head against the wall, harder at every turn. A sudden ping echoed the area and he let go. Moonhee slid down to the ground, eyes heavily lidded. Her ribs hurt whenever she moved.

 

Murderer sighted in town. All available units to move out.

 

Dongjin’s ears perked up and he rearranged his uniform. A smile was on his face - Moonhee knew it signalled escape for her.

“They finally let me go on a case! I’ll be out.”

Just as he turned his back, Moonhee kicked the back of his knees with all her might and her body crashed into his.

“You! Never learn!” His face contorted into evil and glanced around.

He saw a rope lying in the corner and reached for it. He wounded it round and round her neck, before pulling on the ends and forcing the girl onto the ground.

“Die, ! Die!”

 

Sirens rang in the air and heavy uniformed footsteps rushed up the steps to the old precinct and a bright light shone through the doors.

“We have you surrounded! Kim Dongjin, either you put your hands to your head and surrender yourself, or we barge in and arrest you!”

Dongjin ignored the warning and continued to strangle Moonhee with the rope. She could feel her face heat up and turn blue.

“Stop or I’ll shoot.”

Another voice joined the game. Jaebum was pointing the muzzle of his pistol at him, trained at his head in case of a sudden attack.

He could see how life was leaving Moonhee, a strange sense of fear overwhelmed him and he shot the male at his shoulder.

Dongjin let out a disgruntled howl in agony, falling to the ground while holding his injured shoulder. Moonhee stayed unmoving on the ground, wheezing as she gasped weakly for air. JB tucked his gun back to his holster and dashed to her.

He held her up, propping her against his chest.

“Moonhee! Don’t you close those eyes.” He warned.

She forced a smile on her face as she reached for his arm. Holding it briefly, she whispered before passing out.

“This is how something looks like.”

He was puzzled at what she said until he recalled a moment during their last encounter.

“You idiot,” he breathed and other officers came rushing in.

“Arrest him and call an ambulance. The other missing victim is in the corner, I need to send the both of them to the hospital.”

“Yes, Sir!”

JB carried Moonhee up, surprised at how light and delicate the lady felt in his arms, and rushed out of the old precinct, where Yael was waiting to see her.

“She took a beating, on top of the existing injuries she had. We need to send her to the hospital quickly,” JB stated, moving the unconscious girl int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter