S22

Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where is my daughter? Bring me to my daughter!”

A loud, desperate woman’s cry echoed in the precinct. Jaebum stuck his head out of his office as saw a middle-aged woman with tears streaming down her face, running around and scaring the hell out of his officers.

“How may I help you?” Jinyoung went towards her.

The woman grabbed his arms, shaking him.

“Where is Yael? I have to see her! My husband’s missing!” She cried, wiping her tears away hastily. “I need help, can you help me find my husband?”

 

Yael came strolling in with a coffee cup in her hand. When she saw her mother and her tears, she increased her walking speed.

“Mum? What’s wrong?” She asked. “Why are you crying?”

“Your u-uncle! He went out drinking last night-”

“What? Again?” Yael rolled her eyes. “Are you seriously going to let him spend your hard-earn money on booze?”

“Yael…”

She shut and let her mother continue.

“He didn’t come home. I waited till past 12, the usual time he came back, but I didn’t see him.” Yael’s mother held her hands, ing the cup of coffee over to Jinyoung, almost spilling onto his shirt.

“I’m afraid something bad had happened to him. Yael, my daughter, please help me look for him.”

 

Another voice joined them.

“Or you could leave him to disappear for life, so you don’t have to worry about ever getting beaten again.”

“Shut up, you wilful brat!” The older woman wiped her face and turned to face Moonhee, before her eyes widened. “You--”

“Hee…” Yael looked at the ground and lifted her head. “What the hell happened to you?!”

JB came up and stood beside Jinyoung as Moonhee hobbled over to the group.

She was walking with a bad limp, her right foot was messily bandaged, both kneecaps were scraped up. Bruises decorated her face like abstract art, cuts and bleeding dotted her lips, nose bridge and cheeks.

“Nothing,” she brushed her question off, trying to stand on both feet properly. “I just met with some idiots when I was out with my mom last night.”

She smirked. 

"You should have seen the others."

She put pressure the wrong way and winced, stumbling a little. Jaebum shot forward and held onto her, surprised at his own behaviour.

“Really?” He deadpanned. “That’s nothing? I hate to see what something looks like.”

Moonhee pushed herself away from Jaebum, hopping on her good foot and faced Yael’s mother.

“So that son of a disappeared huh?” She smirked. “Good riddance.”

“You brat!” She came clawing at the younger girl. “How dare you!”

She managed to scratch Moonhee’s face, leaving three long lines on her cheek. The latter hissed, causing Yael to run to her best friend while the two officers restrained the hysterical woman.

“It’s because of you! If you didn’t beat my husband up, things wouldn’t have gotten to this situation!” Mrs Moon screeched. “He probably got too weak from your punches to fend for himself!”

“And if you blame me for that, what about your own daughter?! You let that man harm her and you’re still shielding him?”

“Stop it, Moonhee. Let it go.” Jinyoung spoke up. “She’s distraught enough.”

Moonhee coughed, her face scrunching up in pain but masked it with an indifferent look. She then took a step back, shaking her head.

“Fine, I’ll help get that bastard back.” She then smiled. “But, I can’t guarantee his well being.”

Jaebum squinted his eyes at the girl, “And how exactly are you going to help? You are limping.”

“Don’t underestimate my will, Im Jaebum.” Moonhee huffed and glanced over his shoulder.

The same weird officer was holding onto his coffee cup, with a strange look on his face. He scurried away immediately after noticing her gaze.

Jaebum’s brows met and turned around, trying to figure out what she was staring at.

“Okay, look. I have something to tell you guys.” Moonhee started. “I know who the killer is.”

 

***

 

“Noh Moonhee! I will arrest you for what you are saying right now,” Jaebum bellowed. “Don’t think that Chief allowed your participation, you can say bull like this!”

Moonhee rolled her eyes, “Arrest me then, then you’ll know how right I am.”

Yael and Jinyoung just sat back in the hidden conference room and watched the both of them bicker back and forth. They kept a lookout around the precinct.

 

That was the plan.

Of course, Jaebum and Jinyoung were skeptical when Moonhee and Yael first told them their suspicions.

“Are you kidding me? One of my officers is out there killing people?” Jaebum mused. “And right under my nose too?”

“Yael recognised the handwriting from the note at the crime scene, it was similar to the note written by him.”

“And that make him the vigilante?”

“Jaebum, you are not listening,” Yael piped up. “Be open minded. Just take it as a hunch. Take the risk.”

Jinyoung nudged his partner, Jb gave in. He wanted this case to be solved as soon as possible. Taecyeon was getting on his and the case was dragging too long.

“Fine, what do you suppose we do?”

Moonhee reached into her pocket and pulled out a note - the letter written just for her by the perpetrator.

The three others immediately closed in on her, JB picking the paper up to scan the words.

“When did you get this?” Jinyoung asked, worried. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

“I didn't see the need. I wanted to let him take me, so I can see if my suspicions were right--”

“And what if you were right and there’s no one backing you up?”

“Which is why I’m telling you guys now, aren’t I?” Moonhee cleared . “Didn’t you tell me to seek for help when needed some?”

JB straightened his back and nodded.

“What do we do now?”

Yael and Moonhee shared a look before the latter smirked.

“We lure the lion out of its den.”

 

Jaebum slammed his palm down on his desk as Moonhee blew on her nails nonchalantly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter