Final Goodbyes

Nothing Has Changed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica’s POV

I roll over in bed turning to face Gracie who is sleeping peacefully beside me. The dark circles under her eyes prominent as she breathes lightly. I gently reach out to caress her face, not wanting to wake her as this is the first decent night’s sleep she has had in days. It has been a few days since her father passed and the two of us are still in San Francisco while she organises his funeral, which for obvious reasons is really taking a toll on her, as losing the last of your immediate family would take a toll on anyone.

The company has been ringing me asking how long we will be, causing a few arguments between our manager and I. I vividly remember the last time he called, I full on yelled at him over the phone informing him that we will take as long as needed and if he had a problem with that he could get screwed. The company has only ever been interested in how much money they can make off of us and not our actual wellbeing.

But that is the least of my worries. Since Grace’s father passed on she has barely spoken a word, asides from occasionally reassuring me that she is fine and she loves me, I haven’t really heard much else from her. I’ve never seen her this quiet and it is scaring me, I don’t want her slipping back into the dark place she was in after losing her mother and brother.

I slip out of bed careful not to wake her before taking out my phone and heading to the kitchen. We are currently staying at her old place, and as I walk through the hallway to the kitchen I find a picture of our two families when on one of the many summer holidays we took together. Mitch is standing behind Grace grinning brightly, his arms resting around her neck. The two of them have the same smile. Grace is next to me with her arm around my shoulder and her other arm has a young Krystal in a playful headlock. I smile gently as I look at the photo before dialling Krystal’s number on my phone in the hopes that she will pick up.

“Unnie? How’s Gracie?” She answers the worry in her voice obvious.

“I dunno Krys I’m worried she’s like completely shut down on me.” I reply as I take a seat at the bench.

“Is she at least speaking?” Krystal replies yawning and I realise it must be reasonably late.

“Yeah but not much, just every now and again to say she’s okay and that she loves me.”

“That’s okay then, before her mother and Mitch’s funeral. She didn’t speak a word for days, just laid in bed staring at the ceiling. Has she slept?”

“Yeah she’s asleep now.”

“Good, Yuri and I are just at the airport now. I know Yuri never knew her father but she insisted she wanted to be there for support. All you can do is be there for her unnie.  She’ll be okay this time, I promise, she is a lot stronger now.” Krystal replies as I feel arms wrap around me from behind making me jump slightly before I relax again.

“Jessi come back to bed.” I hear the tired whine come from behind me and I smile calmly.

“I’ll come back in a minute, I promise, I’m just talking to Krystal, baby.” I reply but she doesn’t move just snuggles her face further into my neck.

“Tell Krys I say hi.” She mumbles into my neck.

“I heard her unnie, tell her I’ll see her soon, I’ll let you go. Take care of her for me unnie.” Krystal replies chuckling lightly.

“I will Krys, see you soon.” I say as I hang up and turn around to wrap my arms around Grace.

I feel my phone vibrate in my hand and look down to see a message from Krystal.

‘Don’t tell Gracie about Yul, she wants to surprise her, but she hasn’t told the company yet and will probably get in a bit of trouble for it and doesn’t want her to worry about it. And unnie stop stressing, Grace will be fine, she has all of us, we will make sure she is. But most importantly she has you this time, so look after her.’

I smile gently as I put my phone away before the whining Grace drags me back to her room and pulls me into bed with her, where we end up spending most of our day.

Grace’s POV

The next morning, I wake up after sleeping the day away to the sound of the doorbell. With a groan, I pull myself out of bed manoeuvring my way out of Jessica’s hold, trying not wake her up, before making my way with a yawn to the front door.

I open the front door rubbing my eyes tiredly as I am tackled into a hug. When I open my eyes and get a good look at who it is I can’t help but be shocked.

“Yul?!”

“Hey Gracie.” She says smiling calmly as she pulls away from the hug. “Are you okay?”

“I will be. Thanks.” I reply with a small smile as I hear someone complaining from behind Yuri.

“Wow I’m hurt, you didn’t even notice me.” I turn and see Krystal who smiles gently at me before opening her arms gesturing for a hug. “I’m sorry I took a few days to get here Gracie, there was no way I was leaving you alone.”

“It’s okay I wasn’t alone.” I say with a small smile as I see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter