Phone Calls

Nothing Has Changed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica’s POV

Today is one of the rare mornings that I have ever woken up before Grace, who is still peacefully sleeping, her arms wrapped tightly around me. With a yawn, I turn around to face her, being met with her calm expression as she breathes lightly. Deciding to just go back to sleep, I snuggle in closer to her resting my head on her chest as I close my eyes.

After a while I find myself waking up to the sound of Grace’s phone ringing loudly. Surprisingly Grace is still fast asleep, so I turn around and stretch trying to grab her phone from its place on the bedside table without waking her. This proves to be very difficult considering the tight hold she has on me, but eventually I succeed in grabbing the phone. I look at the unknown number on the phone.

Just as I am about to answer it and yell at them for disturbing our rest I feel Grace move from behind me. She looks over my shoulder with a tired yawn.

“Don’t answer it.” She says a hint of venom in her voice which makes me extremely curious.

As I turn around I am faced with a still half asleep Grace who also looks to be in a foul mood.

“What’s wrong baby? Who was it?” I ask, worried.

“It’s nobody.”

“It clearly isn’t if whoever it is has you this grumpy first thing in the morning.”

“I’m sorry.” She says as she looks down slightly.

I reach out and cup her face with my hand, pulling her to look me in the eye.

“Baby, tell me please, we promised. No secrets, remember. I’m here for you now, we are in this together, and for me to be able to help and support you, you need to stop shouldering whatever is worrying you by yourself.” I say as I look into her eyes, and a ghost of smile appears on her lips.

She leans in and places a gentle kiss on my lips.

“Thank you.” She says simply, as she gazes deeply into my eyes.

“Of course, now can you tell me what’s wrong? I want to help you.”

“I... Uhh...” She sighs lightly before continuing, “It’s... it’s my father.”

“Oh... was he who called you last night as well?” I ask quietly as I her cheek lightly, in an attempt to comfort her. It seems to be working as she places her hand over mine and smiles gently.

“Yeah, he’s called a few times.” She says.

“Do you think maybe he wants to apologise?”

“No, I doubt it. He most likely just wants me to come back and act like the perfect straight daughter, marry some wealthy business man and run his company for him.” She answers as she rolls over onto her back, looking up at the ceiling with a sigh.

“You really think so?” I ask as I cuddle back into her side, Grace wrapping her arm around me pulling me closer.

“I know so, I mean you remember what he was like before you left right?” She asks looking at me and I nod, as I picture the grumpy, strict person I knew. “Well imagine him ten times worse than that. When we lost Mum and Mitch, he lost the only person who could handle his temper, and his favourite child, and was left with me. No matter how hard I tried nothing was good enough. So right now, I don’t care how many times he calls me and begs, I have absolutely no intention of answering. He can’t make me give up my dreams anymore, he can’t make me lose you.” She adds as she looks at me again.

“You won’t lose me, not again. I promise.”

“I love you Jessi.”

“I love you too Gracie.” I reply before leaning in and capturing her lips with my own, kissing her gently.

Eventually she pulls away for air, resting her forehead against mine as she smiles softly, looking into my eyes.

“We should probably get up.” She says as she runs her fingers though my hair.

“We should definitely just go back to sleep.” I reply to which she just chuckles. “What? We don’t have to be back for ages, and I’m tired.”

“Alright princess if you say so, just stop pouting already.” She answers as she pulls me closer to her and I rest my head in the crook of her neck and slowly find myself drifting back to sleep.

……………………………………………………….

After a spending, another few hours lazing around in bed together, Grace eventually dragged me out of the hotel room to get something to eat before the long drive home. The car trip was spent with the two of us singing at the top of our lungs to whichever song came on, and just spending some quality time together. I can honestly say that this overnight trip has been the most fun I’ve had in years, and I know it is thanks to the childish dork sitting beside me holding my hand as hers rests in my lap, the other hand on the steering wheel. As I watch her sing along to her favourite songs, I bring her hand up to my lips placing a gentle kiss on the back of her hand. She stops and looks over momentarily smiling happily at me, neither of us noticing her phone ringing once more, drowned out by the loud music and Grace’s joyful singing.

……………………………………….

We pull up in the garage of the apartment complex, finally back home. Grace smiles gently at me before jumping out of the car and moving around to the back to get our bags.

As she disappears to the back of the car her phone starts ringing again. I look at the screen scowling at the same number that has been calling non-stop.

Taking a deep breath, I answer the phone bringing it up to my ear, a familiar gruff voice answers sounding surprised;

“Gayoung, you answered.”

“No she didn’t.” I answer voice icy.

“Jessica? Is that you?” He says recognising my voice easily.

“That’s not important right now, what is important though is how you’ve treated your daughter. I can’t believe you even have the audacity to call after everything you have put her through!” I answer my voice raising slightly. “You should know as well as anyone how much pain she has been in the last few years without having her own father disowning her for being herself. I can’t believe you pushed away the only family you have left!” I add sternly.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter