Three Years Later: Fate

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

A/N: I would advise listening to BTS' Spring Day and EXO-CBX's For You repeatedly. Trust me.

 


 

Three years.

It was a long wait; he almost gave up hope. But never in his wildest dreams did he think that it would happen now.

Three years.

It took him three years to get to where he was now – right in front of her.

 


 

Three Years Ago

 

Anyone would say that the bride was the most beautiful one they had ever seen. The sun hit behind her, giving her an ethereal glow that amazed everyone in the church. Even the priest couldn’t take his eyes off her as she recited her vows.

The groom, however, did not share their sentiments.

“...and I promise to be the shoulder you can lean on during the good times and the bad, “ Kang Nari was saying, “I will no longer be your friend or just a lover – I will be your wife. I will support you until death do us part.”

To the guests, it must’ve been a touching vow. There was a spatter of sobs and “oohs” within the church walls. The bride’s mother wiped away a tear as she watched her daughter proclaim her love.

Only the groom remained unaffected.

“Hwang Jae-Yeong,” said the priest, “It is now your turn to say your vows to your future wife.”

Nari was smiling at him as if this entire thing happened by fate. She had been insisting on it since the day their wedding was settled. It’s always been how life was funny because in the end, it was just the two of them again.

Jae-Yeong agreed – life was just funny.

Tae-Won, his best man, handed him the microphone. He could see his youngest brother’s hesitation with the mere act. He didn’t even want to be the best man, just as much as Jae-Yeong didn’t want to be the groom.

He took the microphone from Tae-Won and looked at his blushing bride.

You can tell that Nari had been waiting for this. He looked at the people, who were clearly expecting his speech. His father beamed at him proudly from where he sat.

He cleared his throat.

“This is going to sound funny,” Jae-Yeong began sheepishly, raising an arm to rub the back of his head. The guests laughed and so did Nari, expecting him to come up with something cheesy or anything that seems funny.

How wrong they were.

“But you won’t be hearing promises from me.”

Some of the guests laughed again, thinking that he might come up with something witty or funny. Given the falter on Nari’s smile, however, he knew that his blushing bride could sense what he was about to say.

“I’m not promising you anything, Nari,” he said, “Simply because I’m not marrying you today.”

There was a collective gasp.

Nari’s lips suddenly trembled in immediate fury; she mouthed “What are you doing at him?” while trying to maintain her composure, but Jae-Yeong did not pay attention. He turned to the audience instead.

“I’m sorry if you thought that there was going to be a wedding, but I figured a marriage without both parties’ consents would waste more of your time,” he told them, “I am sure you can understand my sentiments as a man who was forced to marry out of his will.”

A scandalized sound erupted from the crowd as the chatters, whispers, and gasps erupted. Some of the guests started talking – some confused, others in shock, but Jae-Yeong’s eyes landed on his father.

Kang Shin-Jae was looking furious already, standing up, and being subdued by his wife. Hwang Kwang-Soo, seated beside Ji-Hyun, seemed torn between shock and disbelief. His father did not stand up, but his eyes were seeking his son, silently questioning his decision.

“I am sorry, Father,” he apologized, bowing formally, “I cannot sacrifice my free will again. But do not worry, I will find a way. I hope, in time, you will forgive me.” He bowed again and then he turned to the priest.

“You won’t be officiating any wedding today, Father,” he said, bowing again, “I hope the next wedding you officiate would be one filled with happiness and real love.” Without another word, he proceeded towards the stairs.

But Nari held his arm.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Behind her veil, he could see that fury in her eyes. Her hand on his arm was enough to tell him about her anger.

“You can’t do this,” she told him.

He looked at her. If there was one thing Jae-Yeong knew, he had enough.

“Watch me,” he told her, taking away his arm and turning his back on her.

Jae-Yeong got down from the altar towards the aisle and momentarily stopped in front of his father. He knew that Hwang Kwang-Soo would probably never forgive him, but he was willing to suffer the consequences.

He bowed apologetically and went his way down the aisle.

Cameras clicked here and there. He knew the news would probably be out tonight and people would talk more about him. But Jae-Yeong was already used to the idea of people swapping stories about him. He no longer cared. They can say anything they wanted about him.

No one chased him simply because he walked too fast and he made his point. That was enough.

Outside the church, a black car waited with the driver leaning casually on the passenger door.

 

“Took you faster than I expected.”

Il-Sung got up from his casual position and opened the door.

“No one stopped me,” answered Jae-Yeong, “I guess they were sort of expecting it.”

His dongsaeng chuckled as he proceeded to the other side of the car. Jae-Yeong immediately got in, waiting for his younger brother to hit the road. Once Il-Sung strapped on his seatbelt, he looked at his older brother.

“Where to?” he asked.

 

Jae-Yeong sighed.

He wanted to be where she was, but he didn’t know.

 

“Anywhere but here.”

 


 

Two Years Ago

 

“Ah...but this business model...do you think it works?”

 

Jae-Yeong took the paper from his dongsaeng’s hands, reading the hypothesis, the claims, and the suggested business model.

“It could, but you’ll have to make sure you have enough investors for that,” he answered, “I mean, risks are good, but you’ll have to be prepared for the worst.”

“Ah, that makes sense.”

 

Ji-Woo took note of his hyung’s suggestions, rapidly writing down notes for his thesis. Jae-Yeong smirked as he watched his half-brother scribble, type on his laptop, then scribble again. The dark circles under his dongsaeng’s eyes were more visible today – but that was because he was cramming a paper that could be his one-way ticket to graduation.

“Don’t forget to use the summary of your keep, as well,” added Jae-Yeong, “You’ll have to be really detailed with these things; otherwise, you might end losing half of your earn.”

“And that’s a big deal?”

“Pretty much.”

Ji-Woo sighed. “God, this business thing is terrible,” he complained, “Why did I even choose this course?”

“You know what?” asked Jae-Yeong, “You’ll save more time if you finish off your statistics now than complain. I’m already helping you out here.”

His dongsaeng flashed him an annoyed look. It still felt surreal to Jae-Yeong whenever Ji-Woo did so, but then again, it took his younger brother a few months to get used to their relationship and his presence.

“I know, I know, hyung,” answered Ji-Woo, “No more complaining, more studying.”

Immediately, the dongsaeng got to work, typing rapidly on his laptop and incorporating his brother’s suggestions. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, smiled and got back to his business, sorting out potential small businesses and whatnot.

“Jae-Yeongah?”

His mother arrived in the dining room, holding a tray with two cups of tea.

“Yes?”

“You have visitors,” she said, setting the tea down on the table, “They’re waiting outside.”

Ji-Woo looked at the watch, then at his brother. “Isn’t it a little late for visitors?” he wondered.

Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, did not speak. Immediately, he got up, putting the papers down and excused himself from his mother and brother’s presence. He walked towards the door and outside where familiar figures stood.

Two of them.

 

“Well, look who it is,” remarked Jae-Yeong, “The new CEO-to-be.”

Tae-Won flashed his older brother a small humble smile. Jae-Yeong approached his brother and gave a polite bow, then he greeted Ji-Hyun.

“You look fuller than the last time I saw you,” he remarked.

“Ah, shut up. The wife has been cooking more than ever and a man can’t say no to his wife’s delicious cooking,” defended Ji-Hyun, touching his stomach. The two brothers shared a chuckle before returning the attention to each other.

Tae-Won looked sharp in his suit and tie – a large contrast to Jae-Yeong’s simple at-home getup. It had been a year since he always wore the same uniform. He was glad that he finally broke out of that monotony.

“It’s cold out here,” remarked Jae-Yeong, “Shall we all go inside for a cup of tea?”

 

---

 

“Your mother makes the best tea in the world, Jae-Yeong,” remarked Ji-Hyun after taking a sip, “It’s no wonder you’re enjoying your stay.”

“That’s not the only reason, though,” replied Jae-Yeong, “And don’t say that out loud. My mother might think I’m living here just because her tea is great.”

The pair shared a hearty laugh as they downed Lee Yoon-Ah’s specialty tea. While drinking, Jae-Yeong noticed that his younger brother was looking at him seriously.

“What’s with the serious face, Mr. CEO?” he asked jokingly, “Did I do something wrong?”

It’s only been a year, but Tae-Won has changed drastically. Jae-Yeong often joked that they switched personalities: the former turned serious while he finally learned the art of being carefree. Jae-Yeong eventually figured that maybe the training to be a CEO had its effects on Tae-Won.

 

Finally, Tae-Won spoke.

 

“How long will you stay here, hyung?” he asked, “Do you really have no plans of coming home?”

There was a sincere look in his eyes.

“I am home, Tae-Won,” answered Jae-Yeong, “I’m with my mother and my brother. Plus, I don’t think Father is ready to see me yet.”

“You’re still his son.”

“Which he disinherited,” finished Jae-Yeong, “Technically, I’m helping you out on the sly here because I know he doesn’t want anything to do with me.”

“But you’re the reason the business still stands,” argued Tae-Won, “You were right when you said investing in the small people instead would pay off. Sure, it took time, but you didn’t have to get married after all. We just had to wait. Your business model is the reason why we’re slowly getting back.”

“And I’m glad I could help,” replied Jae-Yeong, “But think about it Tae-Won: do you really think it would do our family or the company any good if I came back? Besides, I enjoy working under you.”

“It’s not that,” said Tae-Won.

“Then what is?”

The dongsaeng broke his cool exterior, his fingers fidgeting. Jae-Yeong knew Tae-Won well; it was obvious that his younger brother wanted to say something.

“I just think...that you should be back with us,” he said, “You should come home, come back to work, and resume the life you deserve. It’s not fair – they don’t know the amount of work you do, despite what happened.”

Jae-Yeong gazed at his brother then at Ji-Hyun. The senior threw him a look that said “Try to understand him,” which he did. Tae-Won didn’t say much, but Jae-Yeong knew his brother wanted him to return. Countless phone calls with Ji-Hyun about the issue was enough information already.

“You’re not the future CEO anymore, anyway,” continued Tae-Won, “Although I think you’d still be perfect for the role.”

“Are you giving up your position, Tae-Wonah?” asked Jae-Yeong.

Tae-Won looked at him.

“I could.”

Earlier, Ji-Hyun told Jae-Yeong about Tae-Won’s desire to appeal his case to their father. But Jae-Yeong knew it was too early for that.

“You shouldn’t,” answered Jae-Yeong, “You’re already doing so well with it, Tae-Won. I read the news; it’s so obvious that you are better in it than I was. I wonder why Father took that long to decide it had to be you. I had to ditch a woman at the altar before he sees it.”

The memory of Kang Nari brought back another proof that Tae-Won did well.

“Look, you even managed to pacify the Kang group after that whole Nari incident,” continued Jae-Yeong, “I mean...yeah, they’re suing, but you got us out of that.”

“Il-Sung hyung did. He managed to prove that they were using dirty money too and that they needed us for help that time,” replied Tae-Won, “But that’s not the point.”

He looked at his hyung, unable to speak. Ji-Hyun gazed at the youngest Hwang and cleared his throat.

“I guess what the young CEO-to-be is trying to say is that he misses his eldest brother,” said Ji-Hyun.

That look of sadness on Tae-Won’s eyes was enough proof.

 

It had been a year since he set foot at their business, let alone in their family home. Jae-Yeong had to give up his apartment as well when he was disinherited. He was fortunate enough to have his biological mother accommodate him, to let him stay at her house with his half-brother. The past months with them have been nothing but pure bliss – but there were times when he would miss seeing his brothers and his father.

Jae-Yeong smiled at his brother.

“Don’t worry Tae-Won,” he said, “Someday, maybe things will return to its original place. But for now, believe me when I say I’m happy where I am now.”

 

---

 

Later that night, Jae-Yeong was enjoying the fresh breeze from their little balcony. It was one of the mini luxuries he enjoyed with his new living arrangement.

Since he was no longer attached to the Hwangs, the press no longer hounded him. The chatter stopped and so did the gossip. He no longer had to watch what he said, did, or implement; the job Tae-Won gave him was manageable and under his control (despite not everyone knowing about it).

He was finally free.

Jae-Yeong remembered his sentiments as Wang So, always wondering why he had to sacrifice his happiness just to help others out. Finally, he managed to break free from the grip of other people. Finally, he had the decision to live his life as he pleased.

There was just one piece missing.

 

“Jae-Yeongah?”

 

A melodious voice came up from behind him. He looked back and saw his mother approaching, a worried look on her face.

“Are you okay?” she asked him.

“Yes, I’m just...thinking.”

“You’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately,” she remarked, standing beside him, “Don’t you think you should stop even for five seconds?”

He smiled at his mother. “Then I wouldn’t be myself if I did that,” he told her.

Lee Yoon-Ah mimicked his smile, but her eyes continued to seek her son.

She did not fall short when it comes to mending their relationship and making up the lost years with him. Although there were times of awkwardness, she managed to fulfil her role as his mother and Jae-Yeong has been grateful.

“What are you thinking?” she asked him, looking at the city skyline from her humble balcony.

“A lot of matters,” he said shortly, running a hand through his hair.

“Are you thinking about your father?”

He heaved a sigh.

“Always.”

He felt a small hand touch the nook of his back.

“Just like mothers, fathers cannot ignore their sons,” she said, “They might take longer, but eventually, they’ll realize that they cannot live without their boys.” She then touched his shoulder, “Give him some time. He’ll get over it.”

Jae-Yeong smiled at him. “You must know him so well.”

She reciprocated his smile with a sad one. “I did love him once.”

He wished he could erase all the painful memories his mother had about the past. Seeing him must be hard for him, but she told him that having him around was the best way to atone for her mistake of sending him to his father unacknowledged.

“Besides, if he doesn’t, you’ll always have me,” she told him.

They still had a lot of years to make up, but Jae-Yeong was glad they were trying to build their relationship as mother and son. He nodded at her, smiling warmly. He found it funny that in this life, the humble court lady his emperor father once loved became his mother.

Fate was funny, after all. It could be unpleasant, but its humor, sometimes, worked like magic.

 


 

One Year Ago

 

“You still have no clues?”

“Jae-Yeongah, as much as I’d want to, there aren’t any. She left without a trace.”

 

Baek Min-Suk downed the last cup of tea as he scribbled notes while Jae-Yeong stood at the corner of his room, pacing.

“If you had a wider network reach, we could probably find her,” continued Min-Suk, typing on his laptop, “Are you sure Ji-Hyun is trying his best too?”

“Of course he is, but his power is limited too,” replied Jae-Yeong, “And with Tae-Won succeeding Father in a week, I doubt he’s paying attention to this. That’s why all I have is you and your computer.”

Min-Suk looked up from his machine. “You know, this is harder than I thought,” he said, “And I feel like I’m violating a lot of rules by stalking and cracking records. But what else is new? We’ve been trying this for two years already.”

Jae-Yeong didn’t answer. Instead, he heaved a sad sigh and stared at the skies outside.

 

It had been two years already since he last saw her face.

There were nights when he thought that he could follow her advice: to forget her and move on. After all, it wasn’t as if he didn’t meet any women during that time span. Behind their father’s back, his brothers continuously invited him to social drinks and events. Despite his reputation as the man who left Kang Nari at the altar, women still showed interest in him.

He might’ve thought one or two of them were pretty. Il-Sung even set him up on a date once, but it never pushed through

Simply because none of them were her.

His mother told him that what he felt was natural. Others told him to move on, but his mother, who knew what she was talking about, left him alone. She told him that it was a sign that he had found his soul mate – and lost it in the process.

“Life goes on,” she told him.

 

Anyone suffering from a broken heart would want to forget and just move on with their lives.

Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, did the exact opposite.

Anything that reminded him of her, he would grab hold unto it. From that song she loved to sing to that perfume she wore, he would find it and keep it close. Jae-Yeong did not want to forget her; he had no intentions of erasing her from his memories.

He wanted to find her.

 

It had been two years since he tried his best to find her. His lack of resources, however, made things difficult. If he could only gain his privileges as the son of Hwang Kwang-Soo, everything would be easier. But since he couldn’t, he made do with what he had.

Fortunately, everyone who could help pitched in.

Jae-Yeong did not bother Tae-Won and Il-Sung much about the issue; they had matters to attend to in the company. So, he turned to the people he could rely on – Ji-Hyun and Baek Min-Suk.

So far, despite their joint efforts, they came up with nothing.

“yoo-Hee has been asking around; her friends think we’re trying to sue someone,” said Min-Suk in light hearted tones.

“I’m sorry. Please tell yoo-Hee.”

“Nah, that’s okay. I’m sure she’s also doing it for her own sake,” said Min-Suk, “She also misses Ha-Jinah.”

He continued perusing address books while Jae-Yeong stared at beautiful view outside of the Baek household. His thoughts were buzzed, but all of them focused on one thing: her face.

I promised you that I would find you, he whispered in his mind, I told myself that I would find you – in this life, in the last, or in the next.

But how can I when you do not want to be found?

 

A small vibration in his pocket broke his reverie. Immediately, Jae-Yeong got his phone out and answered the call.

“Hello?”

 

---

 

This is surreal.

 

Jae-Yeong wondered if he was dreaming or if this was real but a practical joke. Either way, it would be too cruel.

But once his mother set the tea in front of him, he knew it was real.

He was facing his father after two years of silence.

 

Jae-Yeong had only seen his father on the newspaper or on TV whenever he watched the news with Ji-Woo. Despite working for Tae-Won on the sly, he never set foot their company after being disinherited. This was the first time he was seeing his father again and in such closed quarters.

Hwang Kwang-Soo had aged a bit. His father had darker circles under his eyes and Jae-Yeong realized that he looked thinner.

Once his mother set the tea, Hwang Kwang-Soo gazed at Lee Yoon-Ah, almost as if he wanted to say something. But she just gave him a nod and a look, before turning to her son and setting him his cup of tea.

“I’ll leave the two of you to talk,” she said, leaving father and son alone in the room.

 

There was an awkward air of silence.

 

Jae-Yeong remembered the last time he saw his father. His anger was not a furious one – it was much worse. In silence and coldness, Hwang Kwang-Soo told his son that what he did was unforgivable and selfish, that he chose to put his family in shame in exchange for his personal ambitions. It was then he was told that he was cut off and was finally free to do what he wanted.

He recalled the pain and it was worse than the one left by Ha-Jin’s departure.

There were times when he wondered if he was a failure as a son. But Jae-Yeong knew that in both lifetimes, he tried his best.

The only difference was now, he chose to break free from his leash.

 

Hwang Kwang-Soo cleared his throat as he took the cup of tea and sipped. He smacked his lips, savouring the tea.

“Your mother always did make the best tea,” he said.

Jae-Yeong merely stared.

“I know.”

For the first time, his father looked him direct in the eyes. Jae-Yeong was unsure if he was angry or anything at all. Was it resentment? Hwang Kwang-Soo surveyed his eldest son from his crop of hair to his tired eyes.

“You look well,” he noticed.

“Mother has been taking care of me,” answered Jae-Yeong, “She has been doing a good job.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes, I am grateful.”

Another awkward silence.

 

His father looked uncomfortable as he sat opposite him. Jae-Yeong tried to get a good read, but two years of separation took its toll on him. He simply waited for his father to declare his intentions of why he was there.

Hwang Kwang-Soo took a deep breath.

“Tae-Won is about to become the new CEO in a week,” he began, “I’m sure you’ve heard about it.”

“Yes, I have.”

“Despite his young age, I’m astounded with how fast he has managed to learn the basic tricks of the trade and goes beyond,” continued his father, “I am sure that I will be leaving the company in good hands.”

“That is true.”

Hwang Kwang-Soo gazed at his tea before looking at his son again. “While Tae-Won is reliable, I think he needs more guidance as he takes over,” he said.

“Well, I’m sure Il-Sung will do a good job of guiding him.”

His father cleared his throat again.

“Il-Sung has decided to leave the business scene and focus on his law studies. After revealing the laundering and fraud issues of the Kang group, he has become too fascinated with the justice system,” said Hwang Kwang-Soo, “And I figured that he is not the right man for the job.”

He looked at Jae-Yeong.

“Your years of studying and preparation will come in handy,” he said, “I know you can help Tae-Won better.”

Jae-Yeong almost dropped his cup of tea.

“Excuse me?”

The cold exterior his father wore so well was slowly melting away, replaced by a sort-of reproachful look.

“You are better equipped in teaching Tae-Won more about his work. You can help him raise the company to greater heights again,” said his father.

Jae-Yeong set his cup on the table, trying to sense if all of this was a joke.

“Let me get this straight,” he said, “You...want me to return?”

“Yes.”

“To help Tae-Won out?”

“Yes.”

The younger Hwang looked at his mother’s rug resting on his feet. He seemed to have a hard time processing what he just heard.

 

“Well...I do not want you to just return because of Tae-Won.”

Jae-Yeong looked up at his father.

The elder Hwang, face full of regret, tried to organize his words. It was a new sight – seeing his father all flustered. When he was sent away, Hwang Kwang-Soo had a tough exterior no one could break. Now, he looked torn.

But when he looked at his son, Jae-Yeong felt a familiar warmth.

“I want you to come home, son.”

Oh my god.

Jae-Yeong felt his heart drop. His father, on the other hand, remained clueless to his struggling emotions. Instead, he faced his son.

“Sending your mother away is one of the biggest regrets in my life,” he continued, “I realized recently that I am repeating my youthful foolishness by sending you away. I did not look at the bigger picture; instead of looking you as my son, I looked at you as a business tool. I thought it was only because I loved you too much. I was mistaken.”

“I disinherited you out of anger, ignorant of the fact that you were struggling. I was not your father – I was your boss, forcing you out of your will just to save a dying business – deaf to your cries and suggestions for a change. I...lost your voice.”

Hwang Kwang-Soo set his cup of tea on the table.

“Now, I am here to set things straight,” he said, “Can you forgive your old father’s foolishness?”

 

All those years believing he was nothing but a tool in his father’s business, thinking that he was never good enough – it destroyed a part of him. Jae-Yeong thought that his father’s love only piqued whenever he did something well for the business. He was about to turn his back on his life as a Hwang.

But now, his father wanted him back.

 

Fate was funny, after all. He never thought that he would come home.

Apparently, the joke’s on him.

 


 

Six Months Ago

 

“You won’t believe this, but we all thought Tae-Won was going to be a priest when he grows up.”

There was melodious laughter in the middle of the high-end cafe in Seoul. The woman tried to keep her laughter subdued, but the image was just too funny. Tae-Won, on the other hand, scowled at his older brother as he finished his cup of coffee.

“Thanks for embarrassing me in front of my fiancée, hyung,” said Tae-Won, “If she ends up ditching me at the altar, I’m suing.”

Jae-Yeong laughed as he ate a piece of cake. “I don’t think Myung-Hee will do what I did,” he replied, “But should you change your mind, Myung-Hee, remember: run as fast as you could. That’s what I did.”

Myung-Hee giggled. “Will keep that in mind, Jae-Yeong oppa,” she said, “But should Tae-Won still want to be a priest, I think I might end up becoming a nun for him.”

The three laughed as they shared stories. Jae-Yeong smiled as the couple shared details about their recent engagement, Myung-Hee flashing her pink diamond ring and Tae-Won smiling sheepishly, remembering how his plan almost failed.

“...and Il-Sung hyung arrived too late so I almost proposed without a ring,” Tae-Won was saying, “God, just because he’s about to finish law school, doesn’t mean he has every right to do that to me.”

“Give him a break. He wants to be a district attorney in the future,” said Jae-Yeong, finishing his cup of coffee, “Ugh. I want another cup.”

“Already got you one.”

A hand extended a fresh cup of coffee and set it down on the table. Jae-Yeong smiled at the server.

“Didn’t expect the trainee manager to serve his customers,” he said.

Ji-Woo shrugged. “Well, it’s business etiquette to serve customers whenever, wherever you can,” he said, “Besides, I can’t be a manager if I don’t know how to manage simple things like this.”

“Well said, Ji-Woo,” said Tae-Won, “To that, I raise a cup of your delicious tea,” he raised his cup in salutation. The dongsaeng, flustered, was red in the cheeks as he bowed to his brothers.

“Thanks for the compliment,” he said, “But I have business to attend to.”

“You’re getting out at 7 right?” asked Jae-Yeong.

“Yes, hyung,” replied Ji-Woo, “Don’t worry. I didn’t forget our date with Mother tonight.”

“That’s good. Now, go back and get busy.”

Ji-Woo bowed politely and went back to the counter, attending to his customers. Jae-Yeong watched him with pride as he sipped his second cup of coffee.

“Ah hyung, by the way,” said Tae-Won, “Here are the potential small business owners we found. You might want to take a look. Some of them come from the provinces. We have plenty from Namwon. Take your pick and see which of these you’d want to sponsor.”

Jae-Yeong got the folder from his brother and started reading, ignoring Tae-Won and Myung-Hee’s silent giggling. He looked at the files of the small business owners. He bit his lip, savouring the coffee flavour, when he stopped at a particular page.

The face looked very familiar to him.

He read the profile of the cafe owner from Namwon, but every now and then, his eyes kept staring at the face of Jung Sang-Hyuk.

There was no mistaking – it was his eldest brother in this life.

 


 

Three Days Ago

 

“...our business has been doing so well! All thanks to you, good sir!”

Jung Sang-Hyuk bowed endlessly, thanking him. Jae-Yeong still found it weird to see his eldest brother, Crown Prince Mu, paying respect to him. But he held himself from doing anything weird. Instead, Jae-Yeong revelled in his brother’s joy.

He chose to visit Namwon again to see how Jung Sang-Hyuk was doing. Luckily, he dropped by at the right time.

“Once I earn twice the keep, I’ll be sure to treat you to the best meat here in Namwon!” Sang-Hyuk said, “But for now, please accept my gratitude for choosing to invest in me.”

“It’s no problem,” said Jae-Yeong, “Just as long as you abide by the company protocols and serve the people, you’ll do just fine. Besides, you make the best coffee – that’s what I heard from colleagues and business partners who came here.”

Jung Sang-Hyuk was flushed with delight.

“It’s all thanks to my wife, she’s the one who brews them,” he answered, “Our latest batch has been especially delicious since she has the money to buy more of her favourite cosmetics. My wife brews better when she thinks she’s prettier. It’s preposterous, but that’s how she thinks.”

“Your wife is a big fan of cosmetics?”

“Yes, especially the ones locally made in the community,” said Sang-Hyuk, “You might want to consider that business, sir. It’s a good investment, I swear. The women here are crazy with that shop.”

“What shop?”

“There’s a little cosmetics shop three blocks from here owned by a young woman,” said the cafe owner, “I always drop by her shop whenever I have the money, just to buy my wife those blushers she loves. She makes the best they’ve ever seen, they say.”

Jae-Yeong was staring at the wind chimes, tempted to make them tinkle on their own.

“The best in Namwon, huh?”

“Yes and you’ll believe her when you see her. She’s a pretty woman herself.”

Jae-Yeong couldn’t resist the urge; eventually his fingers pushed the slender cylinders, making them tinkle.

“Oh yeah?” he asked absentmindedly.

“Yes, that Go Ha-Jin sure is a pretty young woman.”

 

The wind chimes tinkled violently.

 

Jae-Yeong stared at Jung Sang-Hyuk.

 

“What’s...her name?”

 

Sang-Hyuk smiled at him. “Go Ha-Jin,” he repeated, “She’s the owner of that little cosmetics shop I was telling you. Moved down here about three years ago and is now God’s gift to women in love with cosmetics.”

Jae-Yeong’s heartbeat paced faster than usual; he could feel it pounding wildly against his chest. For a second, he forgot how to breathe.

“Er...Jae-Yeongsshi? Are you okay?”

Jung Sang-Hyuk was looking at him with concern. The cafe owner must’ve seen Jae-Yeong’s sudden transformation. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, could not subdue the crazy wirings in his brain.

She was here.

There was no certainty. But deep in his heart, he knew.

“Jae-Yeongsshi?”

He looked at his eldest brother’s present incarnate.

 

“Can...you show me where she works?”

 


 

Now

 

Her cousin said that she had run off unexpectedly. But he saw it coming – of course, their reunion wouldn’t be as smooth as he wanted.

The sight of the man with the baby, however, calmed him down. He once thought that she must’ve married and had a child; he saw her through the window once, carrying a little girl and the man came in.

When he realized it was her cousin-in-law, he couldn’t be more relieved. But when the cousin said that she was gone again, he lost a little hope.

She was gone again.

While there was always tomorrow, three years of waiting had taken its toll on him. He wanted to see her now; he wanted to touch her now. He wanted to be with her now. But fate was cruel and he ended up walking towards the nearest lake, the darkest path.

A lone light stood in the middle, illuminating the shadow of a coming stranger.

Go Ha-Jin, why do you keep leaving? I miss you.

 

He needed some time to think and the lake would be a good place to collect his thoughts. It was difficult to think that she was finally here, but he didn’t know where she was or how to approach her. Sure, the man he met a while ago wasn’t her boyfriend or husband, but what if there was someone else?

What if she no longer loved him?

What if –?

He stopped at the sight of the stranger headed his way.

 

It wasn’t a stranger.

 

Her hair no longer draped dead straight on her shoulders; it was styled in beautiful waves. Her face was pink due to the biting winds, her lips still red. He wondered if they were still as sweet. She was looking at the ground, watching her steps.

She looked up.

 

Those beautiful round eyes were staring at him again – after three long years.

A few seconds felt like an eternity as they stood in the middle of nowhere, staring at each other. Immediately, his eyes surveyed her from top to bottom – wondering if all of this was a dream – but the sight of her looked so real.

 

“If we are not from the same world, I will find you. My...Soo.”

 

Finally, he spoke.

“I found you.”

 

Fate was indeed funny. He never thought he'd see that tear roll down her cheek.

 

--

 

A/N: I dedicate the next chapter to all of your questions regarding this fan fiction. Feel free to ask anything – why did you do this? What happened to this character? Why didn’t you this instead of this? The faster you ask, the faster I can answer.

The next chapter is half-half: half Q and A and – if, I feel it – the next part of this beautiful scene. Trust me, I was tempted to write down everything, but I wanted to cut it there since it was too long for my liking.

So, expect a chapter 50 and 51. J Consider Chapter 50 as the sort-of special dramas have – a behind the scenes look and some of my explanations. Please give me the pleasure of answering all the questions you had or just some feedback.

Shameless plug: if you are also a big fan of Goblin and enjoyed Sunny and the Grim Reaper, please show some love to When the Sun Shines – an aftermath fic concerning the PiChi couple’s present life.

See you soon.