Sudden

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

Chapter image by Imbyul <3 Go check her page!

 

Ha-Jin stood there in shock as Tae-Won waited for her reply. He looked as if he’d known about his brother’s struggle the entire time, but Ha-Jin knew Jae-Yeong wasn’t exactly open with is past life problems to anyone, even his family. As far as she knew, it was only her and Ji-Hyun.

So, how did he know?

“How…how did you—?”

“Know?” he asked, “Well, I have my resources. When your older brother seems to be going out of his mind, you have to do something, don’t you?”

A foggy memory of accompanying Jae-Yeong to Ji-Hyun’s house two days after the revelation resurfaced. Before they went in, she heard a familiar Click!, which was the infamous sound of cameras. Was it possible—?

“You had us followed, didn’t you?” she asked.

He shrugged. “I think it’s none of your business anymore,” he told her, “But I’m here to prove a point.”

Tae-Won stepped closer, showing Ha-Jin that he meant business. That unpleasant feeling crept in her stomach. His transformation from the bubbly friend she had to this businessman who was after his brother was traumatizing.

“I was right, wasn’t I?” he asked, “I told you this wouldn’t do you both any good. I told you and you didn’t listen.”

“Why are you so interested in this?”

“Why wouldn’t I be interested? I’m his brother.”

That didn’t sound convincing enough for Ha-Jin.

“Jae-Yeong hyung hasn’t been himself these past weeks, it’s like he’s a ticking time bomb ready to explode on everyone,” explained Tae-Won, “He’s had one too many sleepless nights. I could hear him screaming from the other room, screaming about things that don’t make sense. It’s been a thing, but one that got worse.”

He heaved a sigh. His eyes immediately landed on her.

“You come into his life and everything becomes weirder,” he continued, “It’s not normal, I can feel it.”

Ha-Jin felt her hands growing cold. Tae-Won was unto something—it wasn’t just bitterness out of choosing his brother over him.

“The moment I first met you, I knew I liked you. I couldn’t understand why, but I just did,” he said, “So when I found out that you were with Jae-Yeong hyung, naturally, I felt devastated. Forgive me, but it triggered a lot of unpleasant emotions for a brother who always got everything that I wanted.”

“But when I really looked into it, I sensed there was something bigger than me being a jealous brother. Because ever since you came into his life, there’s just something…different,” he concluded, “This past life thing then.”

“You think my brother is the Fourth Prince.”

He said it with such conviction. Ha-Jin didn’t know if he believed her or if was all an accusation. But given everything that was happening, there was no time to process.

“What is it to you if that’s the thing?” she asked him.

Tae-Won leaned forward, emphasizing the seriousness in his eyes.

“I’m beginning to think that everything with my hyung isn’t out of genuine emotions, Ha-Jinah,” he said, “In my opinion, you jumping on my brother’s invitation to be his immediately was crazy. You barely knew him. I did my best to get to know you so probably in the future, maybe I’d have the chance. You, on the other hand, only knew him for a couple of months and said yes without even thinking.”

“What kind of a woman does that? Saying yes to a man who terrorized her for the first few months and ends up being with him?”

“You make it sound like it’s impossible,” she said.

“Because it’s is—unless you had other intentions.”

He placed his hands behind his back and started walking around her, leaving Ha-Jin in a state of fear and uncertainty.

“At first, I thought it was money, but given the months I’d known you, it wasn’t that. You were no gold digger, Go Ha-Jin,” he explained, “But then, I remembered your fascination with the Goryeo period. I thought you were just a fan girl of a dead period. But you were just a fan girl, not just of a dead period, but of a dead King who apparently reincarnated.”

“You and Ji-Hyun, you’ve been supposedly helping my brother remember—amidst all the crazy bull he has to endure. It’s no wonder he’s going crazy.”

She heard him stop walking, his feet landing softly behind her. Ha-Jin turned to see Tae-Won gazing at the stars outside of the conference room.

“I was right, wasn’t I?” he asked, “This was a big mistake.”

He turned around to face her. Ha-Jin wished she could come up with a comeback to make him shut up, but she couldn’t.

“Since I found out what you could’ve been doing, I’ve read much about the Fourth Prince,” he told her, “I came upon a small tidbit that seemed insignificant, but would make sense in your case. Why would you want my brother to remember who he was before? Unless there was something in it for you.”

“Tae-Won, stop,” Ha-Jin said, “This is pointless.”

“I read about Emperor Gwangjong and rumors of a court lady he once loved,” he continued, ignoring her plea, “When I chanced upon Jae-Yeong hyung and Ji-Hyun while I was at the latter’s house, I heard my brother say the name Hae Soo…over and over again. Then, I figured…it had to be you.”

“I put all the pieces together and I realized something.”

He took one step toward her.

“Go Ha-Jin,” he began, “You don’t really love my brother, do you?”

What?

She couldn’t believe what she just heard.

“You…you don’t know me.”

“The conclusion is so obvious, Ha-Jinah. You do not love my brother—you love the Fourth Prince,” he accused her, “Your love for a dead King is driving my poor brother out of his mind because you’re forcing him.”

“I am not forcing him and I can’t believe you’d say that.”

“Think about it, then. If he didn’t look like that emperor of yours, would you have noticed him in the first place?”

She was stumped. Unfortunately, Tae-Won saw this and took advantage.

“Had he not reminded you of the Fourth Prince, would you have spared us the time? I don’t think so,” he told her, “You are only after my brother because of what you think he is…not because of who he is and that’s unfortunate.”

“I warned you about the repercussions of dating him. You didn’t listen and to add insult to injury, you force him to be another person,” he continued, “I might resent Jae-Yeong hyung sometimes, but I don’t think he deserves this kind of selfishness.”

“Do you know the full scope of what’s been happening to him? Do you see the torture you’re putting him through?”

“I’m not the one making it hard on him. I can’t stop what fate has for him. It has to happen.  He has to be the Fourth Prince,” she countered, “Besides, I’ve stood by him through those press things and Il-Sung attacking him. I don’t see you doing the same.”

“I serve my brother under the radar—you know that,” argued Tae-Won, “But I’m not the one triggering his sleepless nights, overdosing on meds, and those other stuff just to make him ‘remember’ something he can’t.”

Tae-Won’s face reflected hurt and she sensed it wasn’t just for himself. She couldn’t believe it. Was he actually feeling pain for his oldest brother?

“You do not love him, Go Ha-Jin,” he concluded, “You love that other person, not him.”

He waited for a reply.

“See, you can’t even affirm it.”

She was frustrated with herself for lacking the ability to reply. The accusation was simple: she did not love Jae-Yeong for who he is. Anyone would’ve believed Tae-Won immediately because it did make sense.

“You do not care if he’s going out of his mind because of it. You want him to go out of his mind if that’s what it takes,” continued Tae-Won, “Tell me, Ha-Jinah…is that love or something else?”

Say something! she scolded herself, Prove to him that he’s wrong. Don’t let him override you.

But for some reason, she was speechless.

“I don’t see you as that kind of girl, Ha-Jin. It’s one of the reasons why I fell for you,” he said, his voice becoming gentler, “But this is just unreasonable. Can you honestly tell me that you love Jae-Yeong hyung even if he wasn’t that Fourth Prince of yours?”

His question hit a number of unanswered queries Ha-Jin had for herself. She knew what she wanted to say, but a part of her felt she’d be lying if she did.

“Do you?”

Silence.

 

“Tae-Won, that’s enough.”

 

Both Ha-Jin and Tae-Won were startled at the sight of Jae-Yeong standing by the door. His voice, which rang out, was stern and cold—the very same tone he had when Ha-Jin first started working at their company. He was looking at them with an expression neither could read and it scared Ha-Jin.

“I’ve heard enough,” he said.

Jae-Yeong gave both Tae-Won and Ha-Jin a hard look—a harder one for the latter. She sensed resentment in the air.

“Jae-Yeongah,” she began.

He rarely glared at her, but this one look he had was too intense, she stopped. She had seen the worst and the best of Jae-Yeong’s side but the look in his eyes right now—it was a deadly combination of fear, resentment, and pain.

So much pain.

“Hyung,” began Tae-Won, “I…I’m sorry you had to hear that.”

Jae-Yeong did not answer his dongsaeng. Instead, he just stared at the both of them.

“Nobody follow me,” he said, “You two have said enough.”

“But Jae-Yeongah—“

“No,” he said, then he turned his back, “I’ve heard enough.”

Without another word, he left the conference room, creating a tensed silence between Ha-Jin and Tae-Won. The latter was shocked with his brother’s appearance, but his tension could not beat that of Ha-Jin’s. Her heart beat so fast, it could leap out of her chest and kill her instantly.

What was Jae-Yeong thinking?

She turned to Tae-Won, beating his chest.

“Look at what you’ve done!” she accused him, “Look at what you’ve done!”

He took her hand for her to stop. “I didn’t do anything,” he told her, “I just voiced out what you were doing to him. He had every right to know.”

Ha-Jin pulled her hand from his grip and ran out of the conference room, hoping to catch up to Jae-Yeong. This was not how she imagined the night to end; she thought it’d be another episode of him telling her of his latest memories and trying to make sense of it.

She ran through the hallways, calling out his name. There was no answer.

Ha-Jin caught sight of him rushing towards his car by the front. He was obviously in a hurry to get away, but she couldn’t let him go. Not like that; not with everything he heard from his brother.

“Hwang Jae-Yeong!” she called out, “Come back here.”

She stopped by the stairs as he was about to get in his car.

“Hwang Jae-Yeong!”

He paused. The young CEO-to-be was thinking of getting to his car or listening to what she had to say. Fortunately, he seemed to have chosen to give her a chance, but he didn’t come near either.

Ha-Jin racked her brains for the right words to say.

“It’s not what you think,” she told him.

Jae-Yeong was just looking at her, his eyes flashing with questions. She wished she could read his mind so she’d know what was going on. But then again, even if she did know what he was thinking, could she answer properly?

“Why didn’t you answer him?” he asked.

“What?”

Jae-Yeong sighed. “When he said that you loved the Fourth Prince and not me, why didn’t you say anything?”

“I…well…I was flustered.”

“You seem uncertain.”

The hurt in his eyes spoke volumes; it stabbed Ha-Jin menacingly. She wished she could explain, but for some reason, it felt like a lie.

“Jae-Yeong, that’s not the point.”

“That has always been the point.”

He took another deep breath. Ha-Jin felt her chest tightening at the sight of him doubting her feelings.

“I…I have to go,” he said. With one last look at her, he got inside of his car and started the engine, turning a deaf ear to Ha-Jin’s plea to stay. It was pointless—her efforts of calling out his name.

He left.

Ha-Jin was at the bottom of the stairs, clutching her aching chest. She watched as his car disappeared into the night.

What do I do? she asked herself, What do I do?

 

--

 

“He hasn’t been answering his phone. I don’t think anyone knows where he is.”

“That’s alarming. Jae-Yeong’s famous for being known where he is. If we can’t find him, that’s bad news.”

“What do you think, Ha-Jin?”

“Ha-Jinah?”

Ha-Jin automatically snapped back to her senses at the sight of Yoo-Hee offering her a cup of tea. The latter touched her shoulder comfortingly; Ha-Jin sensed Yoo-Hee was trying to convey her sympathy. She smiled to show how much she appreciated the effort, despite the emptiness she felt inside.

Presenter Ji-Hyun, who stood by the countertop, was awaiting her reply to his question.

“I don’t think she heard you,” Min-Suk said as he fed his son with a bottle, “Ha-Jinah, are you okay?”

Both the presenter and Min-Suk were looking at her. The sight of both men who were close to Jae-Yeong was enough to reduce her to tears; they hadn’t even said anything. Ha-Jin concluded it was a bad mix of emotions, hormones, and a missing Hwang Jae-Yeong.

“I’m…I’m okay. Just dazed.”

Both men must’ve sensed her delicate condition. Instead of pressing her on, they decided to just talk about it themselves. On a normal night, it would’ve been a funny sight: Ji-Hyun attempting to cram soft bread in his mouth while Min-Suk failed miserably with feeding the baby.

The only thing missing was Jae-Yeong laughing in between.

It’s been four days since that night Jae-Yeong heard the conversation between her and Tae-Won. After that, no one has heard from him or even seen him. According to Ji-Hyun, his family said he hadn’t been coming home to them; the security from his apartment reported he hasn’t been seen anywhere since that night. Min-Suk also said that Jae-Yeong made no effort to call him the past week, which worried him since the latter would often text.

Ha-Jin had been trying to call his hand phone for days, but to no avail. She also dropped by the places she’d hoped he’d be in.

She didn’t find him.

She was first alerted of Jae-Yeong’s disappearance by Ji-Hyun. So far, the public had no idea that Hwang Kwang-Soo’s eldest son went MIA; all they knew was he was taking some time off for his health. The family was now contacting close friends to see if they had seen their adopted son.

All of these facts caused Ha-Jin to feel sick to her stomach.

“It’s unlike Jae-Yeong to disappear like this,” commented Min-Suk as he tried to balance his son and his phone, “He’d usually give me a call if he was planning something crazy. This…this is already crazy on its own.”

“Jae-Yeong is probably trying to escape everything,” suggested Yoo-Hee, “He’s had a rough couple of months. He deserves to vanish every once in a while.”

“But this isn’t the normal Jae-Yeong vanishing act, honey,” said Min-Suk, “This is…trouble.”

Yoo-Hee took the baby from her husband, patting it on the back. Her lips, which were always in a smile, were upside down in a frown.

“What could’ve happened to him?” she wondered out loud, “What could’ve made him go away?”

Ha-Jin’s grip of the cup tightened. From her peripheral vision, she could see Ji-Hyun looking at her with concern.

He was the first one she rushed to after that night. There was no one else who would understand the situation better than him. When she came to his house the next day, Ha-Jin told him everything that transpired: from Tae-Won’s confrontation and her lack of words to Jae-Yeong’s disbelief.

At first, the presenter told her to give him some space. But when he came back with the news Jae-Yeong was gone, they both knew the trigger.

And she felt terrible for it.

That night, she processed all of her thoughts—Tae-Won’s accusation, why she didn’t defend herself, Jae-Yeong’s struggles—all of it. Ji-Hyun was kind enough to remind her of the chance that she could’ve chased Jae-Yeong for her belief that he was the Fourth Prince. It was natural, he said, but it could’ve been the breaking point for the eldest Hwang.

“You do know how much he loves you, right?” he asked her.

Of course she knew; anyone who saw his devotion would know. She didn’t just know—she felt how much he poured himself into her. Tae-Won was right—Jae-Yeong loved much at such a short time.

Was it fate?

Ha-Jin, however, was starting to doubt fate itself.

As Ji-Hyun and Min-Suk discussed the possible next step and Yoo-Hee put her son to sleep, Ha-Jin excused herself for some fresh air. No one bothered to accompany her or ask her if she wanted anything; they must’ve known she needed some space.

The Baeks’ balcony was the perfect spot to think; with the wind playing with the chimes and kissing her cheek, she could find that solace.

Tae-Won’s accusation echoed unpleasantly in her head. That, combined with the mere memory of Jae-Yeong’s hurt face, did no good for her conscience. She felt terrible for not saying anything, which made her question her true intentions for the Hwang heir. She spent nights sorting out her emotions, confirming if Tae-Won was right—if she really was that selfish.

Admittedly, the past weeks since her revelation to Jae-Yeong were not easy. There were times when she found herself forcing him to remember, being disappointed whenever he failed. It could’ve supported Tae-Won’s claim.

She leaned on the balcony and heaved a sigh, looking at the stars for distraction.

Cassiopeia shone brightly that night. Ha-Jin smiled as she watched the stars shine, remembering conversations and stories about a mother and upside-down chairs. He always loved stars—the Fourth Prince. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, had no interest in them.

But he was a big fan of serenity. During the months she’s known him, he appears to be a er for greenery, painting—anything remotely peaceful. The Fourth Prince would never be caught dead with a paint brush, but Jae-Yeong was not ashamed of his craft, albeit he didn’t tell other people much about it.

Looking at it, they were the same but such a stark contrast.

You’ve never been more stupid in your entire life, Ha-Jinah, she told herself, You couldn’t even answer a simple question. You deserve all this misery.

Life having bigger plans by reconstructing itself was becoming more of a pain.

Did I really deserve this second chance? What’s your point, Universe? What do you want to happen?

Do you really want us to correct our mistakes by making more of them?

 

--

 

The fifth night of Jae-Yeong’s disappearance resulted in her visiting the Hwang Corporation building again, but this time, it’s per Ji-Hyun’s request. At first, she thought she’d have to face the family and explain. Fortunately, the presenter only wanted her help in sorting out files while he did the dirty work for the search. He didn’t want her to get too involved, especially due to the high tension surrounding the family.

She didn’t want to know more about it; she already had a lot on her plate.

As she sat in Ji-Hyun’s office, she gazed at the white walls, hoping for some comfort. It’s only been five days but it felt like years.

Jae-Yeong has been gone for too long.

While she stacked papers, she remembered that infamous one-sided smile of his and how his eyes twinkled mischievously, you knew he was up to something. She could hear that whining voice of his—a stark contrast from the serious and deep tone he uses for meetings and clients. Jae-Yeong could be a child sometimes. It was annoying and adorable at the same time.

The thought of him immediately wiped the smile off her face.

“Ugh, I have to get out of here,” she said, “I need some fresh air.”

Ha-Jin looked outside the window. There were dark clouds hovering in the skies; it looked like rain. But she was desperate to get out of the stuffy room. Immediately, she stacked the last of the papers and went outside.

Fortunately, there was a nearby fire escape.

As she was walking towards the fire escape, she could hear the rumble of thunder. That, however, didn’t stop her; Ha-Jin walked towards the red door. The sight of it seemed so familiar, as if she’d seen it before.

The scene—has it happened?

When her hands touched the handle, she opened the red door. The sound of the door opening made her remember.

It was the first time everything changed. He heard his family talking about him, she went out to him. He said it was the time he knew she was nothing ordinary. She could still picture his silhouette as he stood by the edge; she thought he would jump.

Once she stepped in the escape, however, she wondered if memories could materialize so quickly.

The lightning struck, illuminating a nearby building, casting a shadow over a tall figure, which was looking over the city skyline. Unlike the first time he stood there, however, he wasn’t wearing his usual suit and tie.

But she was sure it was him.

Ha-Jin gasped.

“Jae-Yeong?”

At the sound of his name, Hwang Jae-Yeong turned around and faced Ha-Jin for the first time. The thunder and lightning did not faze him; the lights of the exit cast shadows on half of his face, reflecting that new expression on his face.

The sight of him was surprising enough. He was finally here, in front of her, and in the flesh.

But he wasn’t wearing that familiar smile he used to wear frequently the past months. His face had returned to that expression he had when they first bumped into each other in the company—cold, heartless, and nothing at all.

“Where have you been?” she asked.

He didn’t reply, but the thunder rumbled loudly before the droplets began. Ha-Jin took steps towards him, observing his face. It’s only been five days, but she’s never been so glad to see him, despite that expression he wore.

“I was so worried about you,” she said, “We all were.”

“Were you worried about me or the Fourth Prince?”

His cold tone stopped her tracks. She had not heard that tone for months; at least, not directed to her. He stood stiffly, both hands behind him, and his eyes not even showing an ounce of familiarity or longing.

“Jae-Yeongah, it’s not what you think—“

“Ha-Jinah, enough.”

He stepped out from the shadows, revealing the entirety of him. It’s only been five days, but Ha-Jin noticed that he had gotten thinner. The dark circles were still present under his eyes; that bloodshot look, however, was something new—or they could’ve been there the entire time, she just wasn’t that attentive.

“Let’s stop this madness,” he said.

“What?”

“Let’s just…end this,” he told her, “It’ll be easier for the both of us.”

A loud clap of thunder followed; then, the rain began, but Ha-Jin could not focus on the bullets. She was too distracted by Jae-Yeong.

 “How could it be easier for the both of us?” she asked him, “We’ve…built so much together. You’re…just going to throw them away. You’re just going to leave like that?”

Jae-Yeong was indignant. He stared her down without any ounce of warmth—the one she used to love.

“It’s hard to be with someone who stays because they think you’re someone else,” he said in a nonchalant voice, turning his back on her, “Especially when they insist you’re a reincarnation of a dead king.”

The coldness in his voice stung beyond words. It’s as if the Jae-Yeong she brought to Busan, the one who saved her from the lake, and the one who said he’d believe anything for her was gone. In his place was a logical stranger who bore no ounce of emotion.

Her heart broke.

He was Wang So, but not much. He was also Jae-Yeong, but not much either.

“But…you are him,” was all she said.

The rain poured mercilessly as she stared at his back, stubbornly turned at her. She was feeling light headed; passing out seemed like a good option. But not now.

She wasn’t going to let him go for the nth time.

“You speak...foolishly,” he said, not bothering to face her, “There’s no such thing.”

 “This is crazy. You know that,” he continued, “I don’t know why I even followed. It was stupid of me to do so.”

He spoke so coldly it hurt. Then again, he had always been that kind of person. She didn’t know what hurt more: his rejection or the rejection happening again. But she knew better than give up on him.

“But you followed,” she said, making her voice loud so he can hear her, “You believed me! Surely, that means something.”

His back remained stoically faced at her but the slight movement suggested her words cut him deep. Deep inside, Ha-Jin believed that Jae-Yeong wasn’t all closed as he wanted to be. She knew that he was processing things he heard.

She knew he wasn’t turning a deaf ear.

There was a small movement from his end. She watched as his heel turn back, his body turning, and his eyes meeting her gaze once more. Those dark eyes—soulless to some, but tormented for her—pierced her soul.

“You’re crazy,” he said.

She bit her lip.

Anyone would tell her that Jae-Yeong had become a completely different person. Whatever he did during those five days of disappearance was still unknown to her, but it must’ve contributed to the change. She didn’t, however, completely believe he was gone.

He was still in there somewhere.

“Yes, I’m crazy,” she finally admitted, taking a step forward, “I’m stupid and I’m crazy. I don’t make sense. I’m going mad.”

She took small steps towards him, hoping he wouldn’t step back. She had waited long enough for him to realize, hoping he too would remember. All those years of longing shouldn’t come to this point.

“But I don’t care,” she added, “You can think all you want but I refuse to leave you alone over and over again. I’m not going to leave you anymore.”

She walked until she was an inch away from him. The rain continued to pour but she didn’t care. She took advantage of the short distance, studying every detail of his face—the face of the man she loved.

In this life or the last, it was always him.

“You’ll have to throw me away,” she said, “Because you...you are my person.”

The rain blurred her vision but Ha-Jin did not miss the widening in Jae-Yeong’s eyes; it’s as if he knew what she was talking about. But his surprised expression immediately transformed into a dismissive one.

“Then I will,” he said.

Without another word, he walked past her, exiting the fire escape. She couldn’t let him go…not like this.

Before he could leave, she grasped his hand, stopping him in his tracks.

The sudden change did not make sense. How could he have changed overnight (or in his case, over a span of five days)? But that didn’t matter. Under the pouring rain, Ha-Jin wanted only one thing: for him to stay by her side.

“Don’t do this,” she begged him.

He didn’t move nor did he stay. Ha-Jin wanted him to look at her, to see that there was more to his claims than he thought. She realized that she no longer needed him to be Wang So—him as Jae-Yeong was already enough.

But he didn’t seem to share that dream anymore.

He removed her grip on his hand and without another word, opened the exit and closed the red door behind him, leaving Ha-Jin behind with her trail of tears. She watched as the door shut, echoing through the escape and combining with the sound of rain.

Everything seemed surreal.

This has happened before, has it?

But it wasn’t the time to compare the past and present anymore. Rather than stay under the pouring rain, she rushed after him.

Ha-Jin had lost count of the times she ran after what she wanted. From the first time she said she’d pursue a career in cosmetics to the time she actually got the job, she’s never failed to chase her dreams. Apparently, as Hae Soo, she did the same thing.

And here, she was doing it again.

She didn’t know where he went. Left and right, her eyes sought that tall, familiar figure of his. He couldn’t have gotten that far; Jae-Yeong, however, was a fast walker. His long legs could take him anywhere in a second.

Ha-Jin ran towards the front lobby and saw a car pass by. Despite the swift movement, she recognized his favorite car. Quickly, she ran towards the stairs, not minding the rain or the fact she could trip.

She had to run after him.

“Jae-Yeongah!” she called out.

Ha-Jin knew she didn’t have the strength to catch up; in fact, she’d need superhuman strength to catch his car. She knew she didn’t have that capability, but that didn’t stop her from running. She had lost too much from this lifetime and the last.

Unfortunately, her weakness got the best of her. The pain from her knees forced her to stop in the middle of the road, watching as Jae-Yeong’s car vanished from her sight.

I lost him.

The truth hit Ha-Jin hard like a rock on the head. For the nth time, she had lost him.

Her weak knees caused her to kneel on the wet gravel. She didn’t mind the stabbing pain it sent; she was too distracted with the guilt and sadness inside of her. Part of her hoped it was the only pain she could experience right now.

I lost him again.

There was no stopping the tears now. As she knelt in the middle of the quiet road, she sobbed with the rain.

I lost him, was all she could think of.

The thunder rumbled violently, but she paid no mind. She was shaking and sobbing, pouring out all emotions. Ha-Jin blamed her selfishness for losing him.

I got so caught up with the one I left behind, I didn’t realize I was leaving someone else again, she told herself as she cried, I deserve this.

As the thunder roared for the nth time, she expected the rain to worsen.

Let it be. At least I’ll cry with the rain.

It seemed odd, however, that the outpour was much worst on the other side. In fact, it’s as if the rain had stopped on her side. Despite her misery, she wondered if the weather was undergoing some strange circumstance, resulting in half rain, half nothing. Looking around, she saw that it was still raining.

The shadow behind her confirmed that someone was just shielding her from it.

When she looked up, she gazed as the light from a nearby streetlight cast another shadow over the figure of Hwang Jae-Yeong standing beside her. His black umbrella kept her dry, protecting her from the bullets of rain.

But that didn’t matter.

There were other things that mattered more.

 

--

 

A/N: Happy new year, dear readers! Did you have a blessed New Year’s Eve? I hope you did. It’s a new year, meaning we all have a fresh start. I hope you’ll have more fun this 2017. You sure deserve it.

BTW, so glad to watch SoSoo win at the SBS Awards—even more glad to see them together. It’s like we actually got to see them at an awards show—Wang So and Hae Soo. The cast was so cute, I wanted to squish them (hello Kang Ha Neul and your cheekbones plus secondhand embarrassment).

Please read, comment, and upvote! Love you!