A Month Later

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

(1 Month Later)

 

“...you’d think you’re studying for a doctorate’s degree or something.”

“Aren’t you glad I’m doing something productive?”

“If you call researching a dead dynasty productive.”

 

Ha-Jin could sense Chae-rin rolling her eyes. She just shook her head as she grabbed a bottle from the fridge.

“Come on, Ha-Jinah! Let’s go dancing with the girls. They want us to meet cute boys at the bar,” said Chae-rin, “Isn’t that way better than looking up history?”

“You go then,” said Ha-Jin, sipping from her orange juice, “I’m not up for meeting anyone tonight and besides, my headache might come so I don’t want to spoil your fun.”

“But cute boys!”

“I’m not interested.”

Chae-rin pouted as she twisted her ponytail. “Oh my god, Ha-Jin. How are you going to find new love if you’re always cooped up in your room with your research?” she asked, “You’re a pretty girl and here you are...all boring.”

“I’m not boring.”

“Oh right, you’re studying the Goryeo period,” said Chae-rin, “That’s not boring at all.”

Ha-Jin just shook her head and smiled. “Go ahead, Chae-rin. Have fun with Hana and the gang. I don’t want you to miss out,” she said, “I’ll be fine.”

Her roommate raised her arms in surrender. “Alright, I’ll go now,” she said, grabbing her glittery purse, “But don’t say I’m right when people think you’re boring.”

Ha-Jin laughed and waved goodbye as her roommate exited. It was a fun night for dancing, but she wasn’t interested in that right now. Clothed in her oversized t-shirt and shorts, she proceeded to the comforts of her bedroom, filled with books, printouts, and drawings.

 

It’s been a month since her past memories returned. The past weeks were a constant struggle as Ha-Jin tugged between doubts and reality. There were times when she wondered if everything was just her imagination; a memory or two, however, were enough to convince her that they weren’t.

To keep up with the patches of images, Ha-Jin resorted to borrowing books and reading more about her past life’s period.

There was no Court Lady Hae Soo recorded in any of the books but there were plenty of information concerning the princes.

So far, she found out that Emperor Gwangjong did kill only the Ninth and Tenth Prince. Ha-Jin vaguely recalled a feeling of resentment towards the 9th due to his betrayal, which led to Chae-Ryung’s death. Her eyes also tear up at the thought of Eun—the lovable Tenth Prince who wished for a carefree life.

The Fourteenth Prince’s release from exile relieved Ha-Jin. He was punished by the Emperor for treason and her marrying Wang Jung only made things worse. So when she read the Emperor’s decree, which released Jung from his exile, she was ecstatic. The reason wasn’t stated but she didn’t pursue further.

Uncovering much about Goryeo, unfortunately, resulted in migraines every now and then. But that’s okay.

She wanted to learn more.

The clock read “10:30 PM.” Ha-Jin stifled a yawn as she opened and then closed her book.

Aisht, I’ll have to continue this tomorrow night, she said, I’ve got  to get up bright and early.

 

 

--
 

 

This is unbelievable, thought Ha-Jin as she smoothed her pencil cut skirt. She felt uncomfortable, but also a bit proud. This wasn’t how mornings usually started, but as she and her boss made their way towards the 12th floor, she knew it was definitely happening.

Ha-Jin started the day by fixing the displays on the stands, chatting with Si Eun and Luna about how Goryeo women made their soaps. She was about to bore her friends for the nth time when her Manager approached them and asked Ha-Jin to come with her on a meeting.

“The Goryeo product line did so well,” said Manager Park, “The exhibit’s organizers invited our brand to collaborate. We’ll be meeting with top people here, as well as financers, backers—you get the drill.”

“But...why me?” Ha-Jin asked recklessly, “I mean...I’m just a saleslady.”

“I’ve heard you talk to these two,” answered Manager Park, indicating at Luna and Si Eun, “You seem to have plenty of the insight. In case I need some coaching on the Goryeo period, I’ll need you somewhere close. Also, you're also good with carrying my stuff.”

Ha-Jin felt honoured but also nervous with her manager’s expectations. Sure, she was just going to stand outside and wait, but what if her manager texted about Goryeo blush on and she didn’t know what to answer?

“You’ll just sit outside the conference room and wait for my text,” said Manager Park, “The Internet is free so take advantage.” She handed her bag to Ha-Jin, “Oh and if ever I need some information about soap, you’ll have to go in. Be prepared, alright?”

Ha-Jin gulped, hoping there wouldn’t be a need for that. “Sure,” she answered. Her manager smiled at her and proceeded to the conference area. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, hid behind the displays, hoping no one would notice her presence.

She won’t be needing me now, right? she asked herself, I could get coffee now to calm down.

Ha-Jin searched the floor for a vending machine. She desperately needed the caffeine to calm her nerves. Luckily, there was one nearby. She quickly headed to the machine and fished some coins out of her pocket.

“Oh my god, what if she calls and here I am choosing coffee?” she asked out loud, putting coins in the slot machine, “Why did I sleep early last night? I could’ve read about those blush-ons and soaps. But no, I had to sleep. I had to be lazy.”

The machine made a beeping noise as it was about to drop one of the cans. Then, it got stuck.

“What?” asked Ha-Jin, tapping the glass, “Aisht! Of all the rotten luck.”

She tapped against the machine again, hoping the can would drop. She needed the caffeine badly and now, the stars must’ve aligned against her.

“Come on, I need this!” she exclaimed, shaking the machine.

 

“Maybe I can help?”

 

A larger hand appeared out of nowhere, followed by some broad shoulders. Ha-Jin watched as the voice’s owner gave the machine one large whack on the side. It shook violently but dropped her can of coffee. He grabbed it and handed it to her.

“Here,”

“Wow, thanks,” said Ha-Jin, “How did you—?”

She stopped at the sight of the Eighth Prince smiling down at her. He wasn’t wearing the royal blue tunic she knew so well nor was his hair in a princely bun. Instead, he looked crisp and neat in his office attire matched with glasses.

“It’s a thing,” he answered, “I’ve learned how to deal with this evil machine since I first got here.”

Ha-Jin momentarily lost her voice. It’s been long since she saw this face.

“Aren’t you going to drink your coffee?” he asked, “I almost destroyed the machine for you.”

It was odd to see the Eighth Prince attempting to be humorous but then again, Ha-Jin reminded herself that he wasn’t Wang Wook. But his appearance must mean something.

“Ahh, thanks,” she finally said.

The man looked at her name tag and smiled. “Go Ha-Jin,” he read, “That’s a pretty name. Goes well with the pretty face.”

 

“Soo, don’t be afraid. Won’t you trust me and come outside?”

“For my sake, please...let her go.”

 

Ha-Jin slightly lost her balance as the memories flooded back. She almost fell when a sturdy grip supported her arm.

“Miss, are you all right?”

She was face to face with this Wang Wook incarnate. His eyes reflected the same worry her cousin’s husband used to have. It was the same look that attracted her young heart in the first place.

“I’m...I’m fine,” she said, “Just a little dizzy.”

“You need to have a sit then,” he suggested, still supporting her, “Come on.” He kept his sturdy grip on her as he led her to the nearby bench. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, kept her eyes at his nape, astounded at this sight. There was something familiar with the image of him leading her somewhere.

 

And then she remembered snow.

 

“Here you go,” he said, helping her sit down, “Do you need medicine? Our clinic is downstairs. I can help you if—“

“No, I’m all right,” said Ha-Jin, “I think I just need a little rest. But thanks...for the coffee and the sort of elderly assistance.”

He smiled at her. “No problem. Don’t stress yourself, Miss Ha-Jin,” he said, “If you need anything, I’ll be in there,” indicating to the meeting inside the conference room, “Just ask for Tae-Won if you’re up for those meds.”

“Is that you?”

“No one else.”

There was a twinkle in his eye that made her immediately trust him. It was the same twinkle Wang Wook always had—minus the pathetic attempts at flirting and joking.

“I’ll go ahead Miss Ha-Jin,” he said. With one last smile, he left her there, speechless and astounded. She gripped her can of cold coffee tightly as she took in what had just happened.

The universe might be conspiring against her...or planning something big. Three incarnates of people from her past life made themselves known. What was she going to do with that? What’s the plan?

 

“I need to walk this off,” she said.

 

---

 

The pristine walls of the building were calming. Ha-Jin enjoyed her short stroll and sightseeing as she tried to calm her nerves. Her first can of coffee was long gone, replaced by another can. If she wasn’t careful, she would binge drink on caffeine and regret it.

What is going on? she asked herself, This isn’t coincidence anymore. It can’t be.

This was no longer child's play. It seemed out of this world that three people from the past were back in the flesh right after she regained her memories. But then again, everything has been out of this world.

I must be going crazy. But everything also makes sense. I know that I was Hae Soo, I know I was a court lady. It’s not imagination. Everything happened.

Her phone hadn’t rung since she left, meaning her manager was doing fine. Ha-Jin appreciated that fact; it gave her more time to think. She took a left and ended up on another empty hallway near the conference room.

I’m going to need more than just research. If I don’t resolve anything, I might go crazy.

First, the astronomer, then Wang So, and now Wang Wook. There was something there; she just couldn’t point a finger at it. The countless thoughts were too much, she had to bow her head and stare at the floor. The white tiles calmed her down.

I have got to keep it together. I can’t keep falling apart. I can make sense of this—

Her thoughts were disrupted when she bumped into someone accidentally. Ha-Jin’s automatic response was to blurt in pain, albeit fake.

“Ayiee, ow, ouch!” she cried.

She rubbed her forehead, ready to give the culprit a piece of her mind.

“You bumped into me,”

“Well, it’s not like I wanted to do it on purpose—“ she said, looking up.

Hwang Jae-Yeong was staring down at her, hands behind his back. She felt her heart rate drop.

“Looking at where you’re going helps sometimes,” he said in a flat tone, “If not, always. It can even save lives.”

She was irked by the way he spoke. Ha-Jin was sorely tempted to talk back or think of a sarcastic remark to put him in place. Why does he talk like that to her?

Oh right, he’s not the Fourth Prince.

“I’m sorry,” was all Ha-Jin said.

She still wasn’t used to seeing him in this modern setting. It was odd to see the Fourth Prince without his princely or emperor garb. The laidback long-sleeved sweater and pants was such a new combination.

Still, his mere presence in this life gave her a sense of relief that came with a feeling of lack.

“Why do you stare like that?” he suddenly asked, “Isn’t that rude?”

What the hell is wrong with this guy? Ha-Jin complained to herself.

“I wasn’t staring,” she answered, “And I’m not being rude. I’m sorry if you thought I was.”

“Weren’t you? Or was your head just aching again?

What in the world—?

Their first meeting left the impression that he was serious in Ha-Jin’s opinion. She didn’t know he had this side of him.

Or maybe she just caught him at a really bad time.

Jae-Yeong shook his head. He looked annoyed and Ha-Jin sensed it wasn’t just because of her; she was probably the icing on top of the cake. She figured it was best to leave him alone, despite the want to stay close.

“Jae-Yeong, there you are!”

Ha-Jin saw another familiar face coming towards them.

“Ah, Miss Ha-Jin, you’re here!”

“Mr. Ji-Hyun, it’s nice to see you,” greeted Ha-Jin with a bow. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, just shoved his hands inside his pockets.

“I’ve been looking for you,” said presenter Ji-Hyun to Jae-Yeong, “Everyone is. You’re part of the meeting and here you are, ditching. Where have you been?”

“Do they even want me there?” asked Jae-Yeong.

“Making an appearance shows you’re serious,” said Ji-Hyun, “And whether you like it or not, the project will fall on you. So, isn’t it better if you know much about it?”

“I’ve already read the proposal. I know it. I just don’t want to be with those fakes,”

Ji-Hyun sighed exasperatedly and flashed Ha-Jin an apologetic look. “I’m sorry, Miss Ha-Jin. You don’t have to put up with this nonsense,” he said, “You can go ahead.”

Jae-Yeong didn’t even look the least interested in bidding her goodbye or even apologizing. He just looked at her from the corner of his eye. His behaviour not only annoyed Ha-Jin, but it gave her an idea—one that could possibly bring out the Wang So she loved.

“Aren’t you even going to apologize?” she asked him.

“What? Why would I apologize?”

“You were rude.”

 

“If I apologize, then you have to die.”

 

Ha-Jin kept her ground. Maybe acting out a memory of the past would bring him back?

Jae-Yeong looked at her with disbelief. He didn’t have a sword so Ha-Jin was confident he wasn’t going to kill her. But then again, she’s risking a lot with this experiment. Would it work or not?

He looked as if he was going to retort and Ha-Jin braced herself. But before he could, he stopped. His demanding and annoyed look was gone, replaced by a stoic and dead expression. Could her experiment be working? She placed her hands on her hips.

“What? Can’t even say sorry?” she asked, “Isn’t that rude?”

 

“You’ll have to forgive my hyung; he lives for all things rude,” said another voice.

 

Ha-Jin turned around and saw what Jae-Yeong was staring at. She was suddenly gripped with unexplainable fear—memories of misfortune, being tortured, and a crazed look before death came back.

The Third Prince raised an eyebrow at his brother. He wore that look so well, Ha-Jin could never forget it.

Behind him was another familiar face. She was holding his hand tightly, indicating a special relationship. The difference, however, between Princess Yeon Hwa and this girl was she didn’t look at Ha-Jin with contempt. In fact, she was just staring at Jae-Yeong.

It was Ji-Hyun who broke the awkward silence that ensued.

“You’re back from your trip, Il-Sung,” he said, “Did you enjoy New York?”

“I wasn’t there to enjoy, Ji-Hyun. Business as usual, you know that,” replied Il-Sung, “I got all the papers signed so Father won’t condemn me for going out with my girlfriend, don’t you think?”

Ha-Jin watched what seemed like a painfully unpleasant scenario. There was friction there but she didn’t know the root. Clearly, the brothers weren’t all right and it had to do something with the business—or a girl.

“How are you, Nari?” asked Ji-Hyun.

“I’m doing well, Ji-Hyun-nim,” answered the girl, “It’s been a while.”

“You’ll be seeing her frequently, Ji-Hyun,” said Il-Sung, “I’m sure that’s a pleasure for everyone.” He then cast his brother another look. When Jae-Yeong didn’t answer, Il-Sung noticed Ha-Jin.

“I’m sorry for my brother’s rudeness. You’ll have to get used to it,” he said, “Now if you’ll excuse us—Nari and I have some catching up to do.”

He wrapped an arm around the girl, who avoided Jae-Yeong’s gaze. They went past Ha-Jin and Ji-Hyun, leaving a cold and very awkward atmosphere behind. Ha-Jin waited for someone to say something. She wasn’t comfortable with the environment, let alone the fact that Jae-Yeong’s intense expression was still there.

Without another word, Jae-Yeong walked towards the conference room. Ji-Hyun sighed and shook his head.

“I’m sorry you had to see that,” he apologized to Ha-Jin, “It seems as if Jae-Yeong always leaves you with a bad impression.”

“No, it’s all right,” Ha-Jin said, “I’m used to people like that.”

“Ha-Jinah, there you are!”

Manager Park came out of the room, papers in hand. Seeing her reminded Ha-Jin of why she was there, which caused her to panic. Did her manager text her?

“Manager Park, I’m sorry! Did I miss a text?” she asked.

“No, you silly girl,” she said, “Oh, hello there Mr. Park.”

“Ah so Ha-Jin is under your tutelage then?” asked Ji-Hyun, “So, she’ll be the one helping out as well?”

“Yes, I’ve placed her name under the research and development team. I assure you, Ha-Jin is a splendid addition to the team,”

“That’s great!”

Ha-Jin smiled politely as she took in the praises of her manager. Her mind, however, was somewhere else again.

She had every right to freak out; after all, she just encountered five of the people from her past in the flesh and in one room. Ha-Jin knew this was nothing simple anymore. But instead of going overdrive with thoughts on past lives again, she focused on one aspect.

The hurt in his eyes—it was so obvious to Ha-Jin. And for some reason, it hurt her too.

 

--

 

A/N: So many characters, so little time. I hope I did them justice. It's hard to fit them all in one picture, but it wouldn't make sense if they didn't. Their stories might sound similar but also different. After all, this is the future, not the past. As Ha-Jin realizes this isn't child's play anymore, she'll begin to seek for more answers.

The question is: is she ready for what's coming her way?