360-Degree Turn

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“So…do you like him?”

Ha-Jin couldn’t believe with who she was speaking to. His eyes were disappointed; it was very obvious but he tried his best not to seem wounded. His reaction was the perfect combination of awkward, annoying…and cute. Funnily, Ha-Jin was dreading his reaction just minutes ago.

Everyone fell silent when Jae-Yeong entered the room unexpectedly. Despite the paleness, there were patches of red on his face, indicating raised body temperatures. He didn’t look too good; but when his eyes fell on Tae-Yeong and Ha-Jin’s hands…he seemed a bit worse.

Of course, she immediately pulled her hand from Tae-Won’s at the sight of him. For a second, she thought he’d explode (but why would he?); but when he sheepishly asked if they could talk outside, she had no reason to object him.

The others didn’t dare refuse—even Tae-Won excused himself after asking about his brother’s condition.

“Are you feeling alright?” he asked Jae-Yeong.

“Oh…uh…yeah,” replied the dazed older brother, “Mother was looking for you.”

Everything in the room ended in such an awkward note and yet here they were, the both of them, standing in the middle of an empty hospital hallway. The dongsaengs were left wondering inside the room, probably gossiping about what had just happened. Ha-Jin half expected them to be at the door, shoving their ears for information

Ha-Jin thought he had something serious to say; he looked deadpan when they went outside. She was already preparing some sort of excuse (Again, why do I have to explain myself) But when he opened up with a “So do you like him?” line, it was hard to maintain a straight face—especially if the person saying it was supposed to maintain a mighty CEO composure but failed greatly.

It was weird to see him wearing a flimsy hospital gown and fluffy slippers. Outside of his suit or laidback wardrobe, he wasn’t the high and mighty Jae-Yeong. There was no other definition for it but—fluffy.

“I…what?” asked a disoriented Ha-Jin, “That’s it?”

He seemed surprise with her response.

“What do you mean that’s it?”

“I mean…is that why you came to see me?” she asked, “’Do you like him?’

“I wanted to see how you were doing. Tae-Won said the nurse was patching you up so…I wanted to drop by. But he went ahead of me,” he explained, “So…I wanted to see for myself and—“

He trailed off just like that.

It was a refreshing yet bizarre sight—a meek-looking Jae-Yeong looking at the ground—a big difference from the Iron Man CEO and rude image she’d been used to. Was his fever so high he was becoming odd?

“How are you feeling?” she asked him, “They told me you had high fever.”

“It’s just fever,” he shrugged, “I’m no stranger to meds anyway. So, I’m talking more than the usual.” His high and might persona attempted to return, but Ha-Jin saw a little wobble in his stance. His face looked tired too; those dark circles under his eyes said so.

“You look like you’re about to pass out, though,” she remarked, “I think you should go back to your room. I’ll help you out.”

“No, I’m…I’m fine,” he insisted, “And you haven’t answered my question yet.”

“What?”

Jae-Yeong looked serious. “My brother,” he began, “Do you like him? I mean…is there anything between you?”

Oh my god. He’s not kidding.

She immediately recalled the Fourth Prince asking her about the man she loved. The first two times he asked, he had a calm demeanor that said he was willing to accept. He suspected Baek-Ah and Jung; she could remember how relieved he looked when she said it was none of them. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, reflected the same demeanor, but there was more urgency in his voice.

She couldn’t help but smile.

“What?” he asked, “What are you smiling at? Is that a yes? Do you like him? What?”

Ha-Jin shook her head, “Wow, you’re that paranoid, huh?” she teased.

“God, just answer the question,”

He looked a little agitated and flustered, the latter probably due to his fever. She tried to contain her laughter at the sight of him.

“Come on,” she said, taking his arm and guiding him, “Let’s get you back to your room. You’re going to need some rest. We don’t want to give the nurses something to worry about, right?”

One hand supported his back while the other held on to his arm. His skin felt very hot to her cold hands, indicating just how high his fever was. She could hear him huffing and even feel his unstable feet.

“I told you not to hurt me too much, remember?” he said, “Why are you being like this?”

“Why? Did I say that I like you back?” she shot back.

Jae-Yeong flashed her a wounded look. They had stopped in the middle of the hallway again. Obviously, he was stumped with what she had just said. She could hear Hae Soo practically chiding her for her actions.

“Hey, Hwang Jae-Yeong,” she said, “I—I’m sorry. I’m not in my right mind now, so whatever I say will is nonsense.”

“So, do you like him?” he asked again.

The look in his eyes suggested that he wasn’t kidding or playing around.

“He’s my brother,” he continued, “I just want to know in advance what could possibly happen. I don’t want to look like an idiot for the nth time.”

He was probably thinking about Nari and Il-Sung. Ha-Jin didn’t know the full story, but she immediately realized what he ran in his mind. She wanted to beat herself silly for being so insensitive.

 “I do like Tae-Won,” she said.

He bit his lip. “Oh,” he said, “Why?”

She reached out and touched his hand.

“He’s a good friend of mine,” she answered, “A really good one.”

If a smile could rip one’s face off, Jae-Yeong’s would’ve done it. It started out with the usual one-sided twitch, which extended to the rest of his face. He tried to hide it, but the young CEO-to-be resolved to hiding his face, pretending to cough.

“That’s good to know,” he said, “I mean…at least, things are clear,”

Ha-Jin held his arm and supported his back again as they continued walking towards his room. She could feel that slight skip in his step, despite the high fever. It seemed out of character, but then again, the Fourth Prince had the same moments.

“I should start my plan then,” said Jae-Yeong.

“What plan?”

There was a twinkle in his eye. “Oh you’ll see,” he said.

Ha-Jin felt nervous. What could he possibly mean? Were they moving too fast? But then again, isn’t this what she’s been secretly wanting the whole time?

“Hwang Jae-Yeong, what are you planning?” she asked, “If that’s something unpleasant, I’d rather not be part of it.”

He looked at her with disbelief. “You really don’t trust me, huh?” he remarked, flicking her forehead.

--

 

“I think this shade would be better if it was lighter,” explained Ha-Jin, “During the Goryeo era, they sought after more natural looks. Colors to the cheeks were either pink or peach. So, I think this blush should stay between those two shades.”

“So, they preferred common colors?” asked another specialist, “Aren’t they too plain?”

“Well, it was the Goryeo period so they didn’t like bold colors then,” answered Ha-Jin, “It’s all about adding a dab of color—not going overboard. The boldest color for lips was dark fuchsia; if you added a bit more, people might think you’re a gisaeng.”

“And that’s a bad thing?”

“Before, yes. But if you want to stay true to the line, I’d suggest going light,” recommended Ha-Jin, “Simplicity is beauty…forever and always, or something like that. They weren’t big fans of anything excessive so our shades should do the same. Royalties would resolve to more jewelry instead rather than apply too much makeup.”

The manufacturer nodded as he took notes and glanced at his samples again. Ha-Jin swiped another blush and swatched it on her forearm. She liked the pretty peach color and vaguely remembered how good it looked on Goryeo women.

“Wow, Miss Go Ha-Jin sure knows her history,” remarked the manufacturer.

“Yes, it’s one of the best things about her,” commented presenter Ji-Hyun,” She shares my passion for that period—only she extends reach by touching on cosmetics and court lady life in the palace. I’m amazed too, believe me. You’d think she actually lived there.”

Ha-Jin suppressed a smile.

If only they knew.

“The rest of the lipsticks are amazing,” she said, “Not too light, not too dark. Just the perfect shade.”

“Well, we did follow you recommendations. Your study of history has given us a good idea on what we should produce,” said the manufacturer, “iSOi cosmetics’ new line looks promising—all thanks to you and Park Ji-Hyun nim.”

She blushed. “Anything to help out,” she said, “Besides, I’m enjoying this. I can finally apply everything I read.”

“You should probably name one of your shades ‘Reincarnation Red.’ She’s also fond of that,” joked Ji-Hyun.

“Ahh Ji-Hyun nim!”

The senior laughed as he placed another lipstick back in the box. “This is ready for the final presentation,” he said, “I think they will adore the newest additions to the Goryeo line. Look at the prints on this case.” He caressed one of the newest compact powders, designed with intricate swirls and flowers, “Did you do this too, Ha-Jin?”

“I just gave them the concept; they did a good job designing,” admired Ha-Jin.

The manufacturer then gathered the new stock samples and showed them to Manager Park, leaving Ji-Hyun and Ha-Jin.

It’s been a week since the holidays and everyone went back to work. Ji-Hyun visited Ha-Jin at the iSOi store with samples in tow. He wanted to jumpstart her new year by giving her the first look at their Goryeo line. Seeing them physically gave her a sense of satisfaction.

All those nights conceptualizing and planning with Tae-Won and Ji-Hyun were worth it. Now, here the where. The Goryeo line wouldn’t be released for two months, but Ha-Jin could barely contain her excitement.

“So, how were your holidays?” asked the senior, “I heard you got lost in the woods.”

“Ah…yeah I did,” answered Ha-Jin, “That’s why you should never drink too much wine on Christmas Eve. You end up in the strangest of places.”

The senior, not looking at her, smiled knowingly. “Not alone, apparently,”

She saw him quietly laughing to himself like he was hiding a secret.

“Ji-Hyun-nim, what did he say?” she asked.

“I’m sorry? I don’t know what you mean,”

 “What do you mean you don’t know?” she replied, “Look at you, you’re not good at hiding. I can see that smile! What did he say?”

“Why are you so curious?” asked the senior.

“I…I’m not!”

“Ah Miss Ha-Jinah, you’re not good at hiding as well. Look at you! You’re blushing!”

Her hands automatically touched her cheeks; they felt warmer than usual. She tried patting them, hoping the redness will go away. The senior, on the other hand, laughed gleefully at her expense.

“I don’t know about you, Ha-Jinah, but he seemed to have enjoyed his holidays,” he began, “I’ve never seen him that ecstatic to go to work the next day. You’d think he won the lottery or something. And you haven’t even reciprocated his feelings yet. But he’s better off taking the load off his chest.”

“Did you know about it?”

“Well, let’s just say I’m a good secret keeper,” he admitted.

She was pretty red in the face but the thought of that night gave her both the chills and warm feelings. Ha-Jin could never forget Jae-Yeong’s face when he said he found her interesting, especially when he asked her if she had feelings for Tae-Won.

“Looks like you’ll be at the receiving end of his never ending pursuit,” said Ji-Hyun, “That boy, he never stops until he proves something. I hope you’re ready for that.”

 “Okay, that’s scary,”

The presenter laughed as he stacked one box after another. “But to be honest, he’s a very nice young man—just misunderstood,” he explained, “It takes extra patience and special people to understand him; apart from his family and me, it seems as if you’ve entered the mix.”

“Which I find weird. He barely knew me. I mean, yeah, we spoke…but I don’t know,” admitted Ha-Jin, “I found it odd.”

“So did I…but as he mentioned, I think he did mention it to you, he didn’t understand it himself,” added the presenter, “Life must be very playful, don’t you think?”

There was a twinkle in Ji-Hyun’s eye as he told the story. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, thought about fate and destiny. She wondered if this was life starting to correct itself. If it did, however, how come she was the only one who could remember?

“Speak of the devil…” murmured the presenter.

The shop’s bell rang as a tall figure entered. Ha-Jin was surprised to see Hwang Jae-Yeong clad in his trademark leather jacket with windswept hair and helmet in tow. He ran a hand through his mop of locks, looking the epitome of cool. Some of their customers stopped and gazed at him with awe.

“Ah, Ji-Hyun. You’re here,” greeted Jae-Yeong, “So, you brought the products already, I assume.”

“Oh my god, Jae-Yeong. What are you doing here? It’s just three o’ clock in the afternoon. Shouldn’t you be at work?” reprimanded the senior.

“I have business here,” replied Jae-Yeong. Automatically, his gaze fell on Ha-Jin.

For some reason, her hearing became more sensitive as she observed how the other women around them reacted. Some giggled, some gushed; plenty of them started whispering to their friends.

“I need her though,” he told Ji-Hyun, pointing at Ha-Jin, “She’s valuable to this business venture I’m off to.”

“You can’t just pull off people suddenly, Jae-Yeong. Ha-Jinah has work to do here,” reasoned the senior, “What could you possibly need her for?”

“It’s top secret,”

“I’m not aware of any top secret mission or business venture,” countered Ji-Hyun, “Ah Hwang Jae-Yeong, what are you up to? You could get Ha-Jinah fired.”

Manager Park, along with Si Eun and Luna, had just come out of the backroom. Both of Ha-Jin’s co-workers squealed at the sight of the CEO-to-be. Her manager, however, looked as if she was expecting him.

“She won’t be,” she said, “Mr. Jae-Yeong called a while ago and told me about it. I’ve given Ha-Jin the day off to accompany him.”

Presenter Ji-Hyun looked at her in disbelief. “You can’t be serious?”

“She is,” said Jae-Yeong, twirling his keys in his fingers, “Now, if Miss Ha-Jin could come with me now, we could get this done as soon as possible.”

Ji-Hyun merely shook his head as Manager Park approached Ha-Jin and handed her bag. The latter looked at her manager with immense surprise. Her manager, on the other hand, just smiled at her and said, “Go and just submit the reports tomorrow.”

“Oh…all right,”

She bowed at her manager than at Presenter Ji-Hyun. She swore she heard him say, “Business venture with his motorbike? Really?” Si Eun and Luna were both mouthing word at her, probably telling her to tell them everything tomorrow. Ha-Jin made her way through the astounded customers.

Jae-Yeong was already outside, leaning casually on his black motorbike, and holding out another helmet.

“Uhm…where are we going?” she asked, getting the helmet.

“You’ll see,” he said, “Now, come on.”

He got on his bike and strapped his helmet. The very image of him revving up his engine caused Ha-Jin to catch her breath. She felt her face turning pink. Immediately, she shoved her helmet and sat behind him.

Tentatively, she held the tiny strap behind him for support. She hoped it would be enough to keep her safe.

“Is this your first time on a bike?” he asked.

“Yeah,”

She heard him laugh. “That’s not how you stay on the bike,” he told her. One of his hands released the bike’s handle and grabbed her arm. He encircled it around his waist and did the same to the other.

“You have to hold on tight, okay?” he said, “I don’t want you falling off.” He revved the engine again, starting his pace. Ha-Jin’s fingers felt the expensive lining of his leather jacket, still thinking all of these were surreal. He kicked off the ground and in a second, they were off.

The wind from the fast speed blew through Ha-Jin. She didn’t trust her balance nor gravity to keep her safe; only one thing could.

She held tighter unto him as they breezed through the traffic, headed towards the unknown.

--

 

A/N: It’s unusual for me to write something remotely fluffy. I hope I did some fluffy justice. If you have any ideas where the two are off, let me know. They’re running farther away from me and while I want to let them, I still need to watch over those two. God knows what they could be planning. Give me your speculations, I want to know.

Trust me when I say I wanted to write include the next part in this chapter. But that would ruin the moment. Wouldn't you want everything in one explosive chapter? :D

I miss SHR. But I'm compensating through this fan fic and watching LJG's Two Weeks. Also, people keep asking about WS and JY's connection. Hm. I think I left a clue with one of your comments. Might want to check that out :)