Hyung

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

Chapter image by the lovely Imbyul <3 Go PM her for a request

 


 

A/N: Listen to I’m Here by Kim Kyung Hee (Goblin OST) while reading this fic. It sets the right mood.

 

 

“What are you going to do again?”

 

Jae-Yeong hastily stuffed a bouquet of flowers inside his duffel bag, among other things. Ji-Hyun watched him with such curiosity, trying to figure out what his junior was up to. The items scattered on Jae-Yeong’s bed was a wild array—the bouquet, a book entitled How To Get the Girl with One Word, brushes, and paint. He wondered if the eldest Hwang was going to a sale or something.

“Retribution,” answered Jae-Yeong shortly.

“I don’t get it,” remarked Ji-Hyun, “How do flowers represent retribution?”

Jae-Yeong got up from his bed and checked his phone for any texts. He passed by the presenter, double checking his bag if he missed anything.

“Am I missing something?” asked Ji-Hyun.

“No, not really,” answered Jae-Yeong, “You just caught me at a really busy time.”

“So, are you going to visit Ha-Jinah? Is that why you have flowers and…a book that teaches young men to date?”

“No,” said Jae-Yeong, grabbing the bag, “I have other things to attend to.”

“Look here, Jae-Yeong. You just got discharged two days ago and here you are, up and about,” said Ji-Hyun, “Your father gave you the week off to rest, not to prance around. Just what are you about to do?”

The presenter looked alarmed as he was leaning on Jae-Yeong’s door frame. The latter understood the former’s concerns, but there were matters that needed his attention. He wanted to take advantage of the week’s rest to get to it.

“Don’t worry Ji-Hyun,” he assured the presenter, “I’m just off to see my brothers.”

“Tae-Won and Il-Sung are off with their duties. I don’t think you can disturb them for the day, Jae-Yeongah.”

Jae-Yeong smiled as he nodded at the presenter and went his way.

 

--

 

“It’s like you’ve come back from the dead or something. But, considering the fact that you’ve always been dead inside, I don’t think there’s much of a difference.”

“Ah, what a mean thing to say to someone who almost died.”

“Well no one told you to run away.”

“You’re never going to let that go, are you?”

Baek Min-Suk grinned as they continued to walk the greenery paths of his holistic center. He glanced at his friend with that mischievous twinkle in his eye.

“I don’t think so,” he said, “I mean, you don’t see tiger fists heirs run away like little girls always.”

“Shut up.”

Jae-Yeong playfully shoved his friend as they made a right.

“So, what brings you here apart from disturbing the peace?” asked Min-Suk, “Last I heard, you were supposed to be taking the week off. But here you are, dragging your heels to my mountain. What gives?”

“Is it wrong to want to see you?”

“You know, if you were a woman, I’d be in trouble with my wife.”

“Fortunately for your wife, I’m not a woman.”

“But you act like one.”

“Aisht.”

13th Prince Baek-Ah wasn’t always the bantering type—that Jae-Yeong was sure of. But there was something comforting in seeing his 13th brother in this state. After regaining his memories and learning more about his brothers, Jae-Yeong felt grateful for the heavens allowing Baek-Ah to live well in this life—he had a good job, the love of his life, and a child.

God knows he deserved it.

“But seriously, Jae-Yeongah,” began Min-Suk, “You scared the crap out of us when you went missing. I asked Ji-Hyun about it, and he said very personal issues drove you to escape.”

“You don’t believe it?”

“I do…it’s just, I’m wondering what personal issues these were,” said his friend, “You know that, despite your immaturity, I’m very much invested in your welfare.”

“With how you invest in my welfare, no one would think we started our friendship with a fist fight over a year ago,” said Jae-Yeong, remembering that drunken bar fight they had. He went home with a black eye; funny enough, Min-Suk was also the one who dragged him back to his holistic center for medication.

“That’s true,” admitted Min-Suk, “I’ll be honest with you—I thought I was going crazy when I found myself being friends with you. Even Yoo-Hee was weirded out; I’m not usually friends with douchebags.”

“What a joke.”

“…but for some reason, I felt like I just had to be your friend,” continued Min-Suk, “Like we just had to be together.”

Min-Suk walked ahead, giving Jae-Yeong the chance to smile fondly behind his friend’s back. He recalled feeling so lonely when Baek-Ah decided to leave the Palace after Woo-Hee’s untimely death. He was the only one Wang So could rely on, especially after Hae Soo’s death, but when he chose to detach, he felt more alone than usual.

In this life, they were no longer brothers, but still, their friendship was as good as a brotherhood.

“Hey, I got you something,” called out Jae-Yeong.

Min-Suk immediately stopped in his steps, facing his brother from another life.

“If that’s drugs, I will kill you.”

Jae-Yeong smirked. “God, do I really look like a bad guy to you?” he asked, taking off his duffel bag and rummaging through it, “No, it’s something you’ll like.”

He took out the wooden box of brushes and paint, handing it to the surprised Min-Suk.

“Woah, are those handcrafted brushes?”

“Personally customized,” answered Jae-Yeong, “Check out the box.”

Min-Suk carefully read the inscription carved on the side of the box.

Paint the world as you see,” he read, “That’s supposed to be deep—even deeper for someone like you, Hwang Jae-Yeong.”

Jae-Yeong shrugged as he closed his bag.

“Deep or not, it’s my thank you,” he said.

“For what?”

 

It was hard to see his younger brother in pain, but the Emperor knew that what happen was for the best. Baek-Ah just could not understand; Woo-Hee’s death was enough to blind him of all the right reasons.

“I wanted to save you. It was like grabbing on to a rotting rope, but I wrote them. I did not know what would happen, but even if I had, it would’ve been the same. To me, you are more important.”

“I know that. I do know that. But it is hard for me to accept. It is hard being by your side, Your Majesty.”

Tears streaming down his face, the 13th Prince shakily bended on his knees and formally bowed to his brother, the Emperor. The latter understood what Baek-Ah wanted—and it wasn’t what he desired.

“Do not do this. I was wrong.”

“No, I was. I am sorry that I was not enough to protect you.”

 

The unpleasant memories of Baek-Ah’s goodbye almost stumped him from talking, but Jae-Yeong kept his composure. He smiled at his friend.

“For staying by my side,” he said, “I’ve had a rough year. It’s good to have you nearby.”

For a second, Min-Suk was speechless. Jae-Yeong wondered if his friend was weirded out with this change of attitude; after all, Jae-Yeong wasn’t always the expressive type, preferring to hide under a sarcastic sense of humor. But he knew Min-Suk deserved the gratitude…

It’s years late, but here it was.

Min-Suk bit his lip; Jae-Yeong could see his friend trying to keep his emotions intact. Jae-Yeong wondered if it was possible for Min-Suk to remember his life as Baek-Ah, but he knew there was no point pushing it. The 13th Prince was back in his life—and that’s all that matters.

“Wow…you should really get into more accidents,” remarked the painter, “I like this new side of you.”

“What a joke.”

Min-Suk slung an arm around Jae-Yeong and patted his back, laughing.

“Kidding aside, thanks for this,” he told the eldest Hwang, “It’s also good to have you nearby. I need someone to watch over and it had to be you.”

 

--

 

“Hyung…you’re sure?”

“Why not?”

 

Jae-Yeong gazed amusedly as Choi Ki-Joo perused through the book with fervent interest. After serving him a cup of coffee, the dongsaeng was completely immersed with the book entitled How To Get the Girl With One Word, reading it as if it were the Bible or some other holy book.

Fortunately, it was already three in the afternoon (a dead hour) so customers weren’t as much and Ki-Joo had the time to chat.

“Will I really get the girl just by saying….Hi?” asked Ki-Joo, reading off one chapter, “I’ve done that plenty of times and she still hasn’t noticed me.”

“Well, after saying Hi, do you say anything else or do you just blubber like an idiot?”

Ki-Joo thought about it and smiled sheepishly.

“It’s…kinda hard,” he admitted, cleaning a cup, “I don’t know what to say when she’s in front of me. I get too shy.”

“That’s funny,” remarked Jae-Yeong, sipping from his cup of coffee, “When you were younger, I saw you pulling her hair a lot during those launches.”

“That’s the point! I wasn’t nice to her before,” argued Ki-Joo, “And then she goes away for eight years, she comes back as a whole new person and I find myself liking her. Heck, I don’t think she even remembers me, by the way she says Hi.”

“Still doesn’t give you the reason not to say anything more after Hi.”

Ki-Joo put the book down and pouted. “That’s easy for you to say—you’re rich and handsome. I bet girls talk to you even before you say Hi,” complained Ki-Joo.

“And you’re not?”

“Not what?”

“Handsome?”

The dongsaeng was startled. “I…well, I don’t look bad,” he admitted, “But I’m no you, Jae-Yeong hyung. Even Ji-Woo’s more appealing than I am—he almost got Hanna. I think he’d get her if I didn’t know him or we weren’t friends.”

Jae-Yeong stared at the young barista as he cleaned the countertop, a frown on his otherwise bubbly face.

During his previous lifetime, he didn’t get the chance to bond much with the Tenth Prince Wang Eun. Whenever he did, the dongsaeng would either run out of the room in fear or stick with his other brothers, shuddering. Eventually, when Eun got the hang of his presence, he showed his bubbly side, which, undeniably, amused Wang So.

As the years progressed, he considered Eun as the source of humor in the dark-riddled Palace. His death hit So hard—more than the Crown Prince’s. When his dongsaeng pleaded in his ear to be killed so he can follow his wife, it was a moment So would never forget.

That’s why he was here again.

“Look, if you think I had it easy with girls, you’re sadly mistaken,” he told Eun (Ki-Joo, dammit. I keep mixing), “Sure, some of them would come to me, but they’re not the ones I like. I tend to mess up with the girls I do like. I end up becoming too cold or mean. I don’t even say Hi to them, so that’s an advantage you have.”

“Really?” asked the dongsaeng, “So…did you use this book?”

“If I had that book, I don’t think I would’ve read,” said Jae-Yeong, “If I had, I guess life would’ve been easier. But that’s why I’m giving it to you—so you wouldn’t mess up like I did.”

“But you got the girl in the end.”

Jae-Yeong reached out and ruffled the younger one’s hair. “That’s what you call destiny, Ki-Joo. If yours is fated, then it’ll happen.”

And he fervently hoped life would be kinder to the Tenth Prince.

“And by the way,” he added, “You’ll have to read that within 24 hours.”

“Why?”

Jae-Yeong checked out his watch then his phone, scanning at the details from the errand he had just asked Secretary Kim to do. “Cause you have a date tomorrow,” he answered.

Ki-Joo gasped.

“What?”

Jae-Yeong swiped at his phone’s screen, opened the Gallery, and showed the dongsaeng a photo of a bouquet of flowers with a small card attached. On the card was a note, which had one word on it.

“Hi?”

“Yep, hi,” answered Jae-Yeong, “That bouquet of flowers was sent to Park Hanna an hour ago and the delivery guy said it came from you—Choi Ki-Joo. The note also asks her to go out with you tomorrow, three o’ clock at the Estate. She need not worry about transportation because you’re going to pick her up.”

“Wait, what? What?”

“You don’t have to worry if she said yes or not—she did,” continued Jae-Yeong, “The delivery guy even said her cheeks blushed so, that’s a good sign.”

“Woah, hold up,” stopped Ki-Joo, “Jae-Yeong hyung…did you…did you just set…me up on a date with Park Hanna?”

“Yes, I did.”

Ki-Joo was at a loss for words.

“But…I don’t think my allowance can cover for the Estate.”

“Don’t worry, it’s all taken care of. Just act like you know the place and you paid for it.”

The young barista was still in shock; Jae-Yeong could see his wide eyes stuck in a gaze of surprise. He then began muttering nonsense, which almost made Jae-Yeong choke on his coffee. Eventually, Ki-Joo grasped the reality of his situation.

“Oh my god, oh…my god!” he gasped, “I…I have a date!”

The ecstasy finally showed up on his face as he looked at Jae-Yeong with excitement. Immediately, he started walking around, taking his apron off.

“I…I need to get ready.”

“It’s still tomorrow, dummy.”

“Yes, I get that! But hyung…I need to get my head around this,” exclaimed the dongsaeng, “Where’s Ji-Woo? He’s late. I need him to cover for me!” Ki-Joo excused himself from one of the barista as he rushed towards the locker room, tucking the dating book under his arms.

Jae-Yeong wondered if he did the right thing of telling Ki-Joo about it. He looks like he was about to ditch his day job because of the date.

A few minutes later, the young barista came rushing out of the counter and in front of him.

“I’ll go ahead!” he said, “Oh my god, Jae-Yeong hyung…I cannot thank you enough. I’ve wanted to take her out, I just never had the courage. And, you’ve done it for me!”

The dongsaeng couldn’t control himself; he knelt down before Jae-Yeong and bowed down over and over again. Jae-Yeong immediately got out of the chair and stopped the younger one, telling him he need not bow.

“Are you crazy?” asked Jae-Yeong.

“I’m overwhelmed, that’s all,” admits the dongsaeng, “I…I have to get home now! Thanks a lot, Jae-Yeong hyung! I owe you!”

Without another word, Ki-Joo rushed towards the exit, almost bumping in to Ji-Woo, who had just arrived for work. The former narrowly missed bumping into the latter, who was surprised with his friend’s rush.

“Where are you going?” asked Ji-Woo.

“Will explain later! Got a date! Cover for me! Love you! Bye!” exclaimed Ki-Joo in rapid tones, running out of the shop, leaving his co-barista flabbergasted. Ji-Woo looked at his friend’s retreating back, yelling at him to tell him everything while complaining as he got inside.

“He gets a date and he leaves me here—what I’d give to smack him when he gets back,” he was murmuring.

At the sight of Ji-Woo, Jae-Yeong immediately got the last item stuffed in his duffel bag.

Ji-Woo was equally surprised seeing Jae-Yeong by the counter. Immediately, Jae-Yeong stood up to meet him, suddenly nervous.

“Ah…Jae-Yeong hyung,” he greeted formally with a polite bow, “I didn’t expect to see you here. Where’s Ha-Jin noona?”

“She’s not here. It’s just me,” he said.

Ji-Woo seemed surprised. “Really? You don’t usually come here alone.”

The other barista made his way to the back of the counter and donned on his apron while Jae-Yeong followed the dongsaeng with his eyes. Ji-Woo ran a hand through his hair and heaved a sigh before returning his attention to Jae-Yeong.

“Ahh, are you okay?” asked the barista, noticing his stare, “Do you need anything? Do you feel dizzy?”

“Um…no, I’m fine,” said Jae-Yeong, “I was just thinking.” Ji-Woo nodded and attended to the customer who was at the counter, clueless to Jae-Yeong’s gaze.

He had never given Ji-Woo much of a thought since Ha-Jin first introduced the two baristas to him. Jae-Yeong thought of them her friends he had to deal with whenever they hung out at the coffee shop. He had known Ki-Joo due to the boy’s father’s investments in the company, but Ji-Woo he just met for the first time.

Between the two boys, Ji-Woo was quieter with him compared to Ki-Joo. Jae-Yeong was unsure if Ji-Woo sort of resented him for stealing his crush (which he learned from the talkative Ki-Joo) or something else.

Now that he regained his memories as Wang So, he wondered if Jung’s resentment overflowed in this life as well.

As soon as he served his first customer, Ji-Woo noticed Jae-Yeong again.

“Ahh…do you need anything, Jae-Yeong hyung?”

He spoke so formally, it now sent chills to Jae-Yeong’s spine. Before, it didn’t bother him, but seeing Ji-Woo as the present incarnate of his youngest brother was different.

Ji-Woo peeked at the bouquet of flowers he held behind him.

“Are you going to meet Ha-Jin noona here?” he asked.

Remembering why he went there in the first place, Jae-Yeong reluctantly placed the flowers on the countertop.

“These are actually for…you.”

He pushed the bouquet towards the startled dongsaeng, who was looking at the flowers with an odd expression on his face. Seeing Ji-Woo’s reaction immediately made Jae-Yeong regret his decision.

“Um, thank you,” responded Ji-Woo, “But what for?”

“I heard you finished on top of your classes this semester,” answered Jae-Yeong, “I figured I should congratulate you.”

“Oh, did Ha-Jin noona tell you about that?”

“Yes.”

The dongsaeng looked at him unsurely before flashing a small smile as he accepted the bouquet of flowers. It then hit Jae-Yeong that you only give congratulatory flowers during graduation for female graduates.

“Ah idiot,” he whispered to himself.

The young barista also looked awkward and unsure of himself. He took the flowers and placed it under the counter.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I’ll give these to my mother,” he told Jae-Yeong, “She just suffered from a terrible headache. She’ll love these.”

“Sure, no problem.”

An awkward silence ensued between the two.

Jae-Yeong felt the need to say a lot to Ji-Woo, but then he thought about it. Would the words he say be directed to the dongsaeng or the 14th Prince Jung?

He made the decision to leave.

“I just dropped by to congratulate you,” he told Ji-Woo, “You did a good job on your exams. I hope you’ll keep doing better.”

“Ah, thank you so much,” replied the obviously confused barista, “Really, thanks a lot—for the flowers. They’ll make my mother happy.”

Ji-Woo smiled at him, causing a warm feeling within Jae-Yeong. There was something pleasant in seeing his youngest brother smile at him again. Without thinking about it, he reached out to the barista and pat him proudly on the shoulder.

“You did well,” he said before grabbing his duffel bag and leaving the confused dongsaeng.

He sincerely hoped Ji-Woo would understand; Jae-Yeong wasn’t just proud with his accomplishments as a student—Wang So was also proud of what he had done as a brother. They might not have liked each other as they should have, but Jung has done so much for him and Soo.

Before he could exit the café, he heard Ji-Woo say, “What the hell is wrong with everyone in this world?”

 

--

 

Tae-Won looked focused and determined as he presented a proposal to a group of investors. In his mind, he had to impress them; otherwise, those nights of practicing would go to waste. He smiled often, spoke with confidence, and fervently hoped they would take him seriously.

Little did he know that his eldest brother was watching him from afar.

Jae-Yeong gazed at his dongsaeng as he brought up the subject of investing and advertisement, how both made sense, especially if done with the Hwang corporation. Through the glass, he could see Tae-Won deliver his speech with such confidence, it was too impressive.

It was only now that he really acknowledged his youngest brother’s talent for reaching out to others.

It had been two hours since he first arrived, hoping to see Tae-Won. But when Ji-Hyun said he was in a meeting, Jae-Yeong wasted no time in dropping by to listen. Before, he rarely did so, but now seemed like the right time.

And he wasn’t disappointed.

He watched as the investors shot up their hands and ask Tae-Won questions. Jae-Yeong was further impressed with his cool and confident composure. He didn’t seem fazed with the onslaught of questions.

Eventually, the meeting ended and one by one, the investors filed out of the room, but not before some of them congratulated the youngest Hwang on his pitch.

Jae-Yeong had always known that Tae-Won had the knack for business and improving it. It was one of the reasons why his Father was determined to place Tae-Won as his assistant once he takes over the company. He was efficient and talented.

As the businessmen went out of the room, Jae-Yeong realized that during the recent years, he had been looking at Tae-Won as nothing more than an assistant—not as a brother.

The room became empty, leaving Tae-Won gathering his papers on the desk. He mumbled something to his assistant, who immediately left. Eventually, the dongsaeng was left alone to shut down his laptop.

Jae-Yeong saw him breathe in deeply.

He made his way inside the conference room, stepping down quietly, hands shoved in both pockets.

“Nice presentation,” he said.

Tae-Won was startled with his presence. He almost dropped the pile of papers he was stuffing inside of his bag.

“Ah, Jae-Yeong hyung,” he said, “You’re…not supposed to be here. Aren’t you supposed to be resting?”

The eldest shrugged. “It’s been five days; I think I have the right to swing by here,” he told his youngest brother, “Besides, if I stayed at home, I don’t think I’d see this.”

Jae-Yeong stopped meters away from Tae-Won who seemed confused with the praises.

Looking at him, Jae-Yeong could clearly see the Eight Prince in his dongsaeng’s face. Albeit he had a different hair style, the eyes, nose, cheeks, and lips were the same. It was funny that life turned Wang Wook into his youngest brother, given the fact they used to be of the same age.

“How did I do?” asked the dongsaeng.

“Well, you could’ve been more stern with those idiots who were hounding you during the middle part,” advised Jae-Yeong, “And you could’ve been more honest rather than sticking up to them when you know they’re wrong.”

Tae-Won’s face fell for a second, but lit up in appreciation as he took in his hyung’s advice.

“I guess I should do that next time,” he said.

“Let me finish.”

The dongsaeng was surprised with his hyung, who raised his hand to stop the youngest from blabbering.

“All in all, however, it was an outstanding presentation,” he said, “Those investors were definitely stunned with your presentation. Even I was amazed and moved to buy, but I remembered that I own this company, too. You were great out there.”

Judging by Tae-Won’s astounded look, it was obvious that Jae-Yeong wasn’t too generous with praises or appreciation for his youngest brother.

“That’s…that’s great, hyung,” stammered the confounded dongsaeng, “I appreciate it.”

A short silence ensued between the two brothers, both of them unsure. Jae-Yeong was unsure of the next words to say while Tae-Won was confused with his brother’s new persona. He was rarely like this.

“Tae-Wonah—“

“Hyung—“

They both spoke at the same time.

“Go ahead,” Jae-Yeong said, allowing his dongsaeng, “You speak first.”

Tae-Won, who was clutching papers, placed all that he was holding down on the table and cleared his throat.

“I just…wanted to apologize,” he said, “I know I haven’t been much of a good brother these past months. I’m sorry.”

“When I heard you got involved in a car crash, I thought about how foolish I’ve been to you,” continued Tae-Won, “I’m sure you know what I’m talking about…those things with Ha-Jin and all the unnecessary bickering. Forgive me, I haven’t been the most responsible dongsaeng in the world.”

Jae-Yeong didn’t really know much about Tae-Won’s fascination with Ha-Jin, but he was aware that his youngest brother shared the same feelings. Ever since he got together with Ha-Jin, however, those feelings became more distant to his eldest brother. Jae-Yeong might’ve been numb, but he could feel the drastic change.

“I should be the one doing the apologizing,” insisted Jae-Yeong, “I’m your eldest brother and I’ve…neglected you. So, you becoming like that is partially my fault. I should’ve been more sensitive. I’m sorry.”

They rarely apologized to each other, so this was quite awkward for Jae-Yeong. But he knew Tae-Won deserved much from him.

“I’m really glad that you were there at the hospital,” he continued, “It mattered a lot that my little brother looked after me.”

“Ha-Jin did, not much me.”

“But you were still there.”

Another silence.

“Look, Tae-Won,” he began, “I guess what I just want to say is…thank you for being an amazing brother. I know I haven’t been that appreciative, but I want you to know that now. I don’t know how I’d survive without you.”

In another world, Wang So would insist he didn’t need Wang Wook—that Wook had never had a hand in any of his success, welfare, or ever been a good brother. But this lifetime seemed to call for a second chance at forgiveness.

“I might be adopted, but thank you for respecting me like I’m your real brother.”

Without another word, Jae-Yeong was surprised with Tae-Won’s immediate reaction. His dongsaeng dropped his papers and rushed to his hyung, enveloping him in a hug.

It was a familiar form of affection—it was the very same hugs Tae-Won gave when they were still in elementary school.

There were no more words exchanged after that, just two brothers in a hug they had not have in a long time. Fortunately, no one was watching—Jae-Yeong wanted this moment with his dongsaeng to be one they could share between them.

He was glad to have made this decision; he was happier for the second chance.

As his youngest brother shed a tear, Jae-Yeong thought of another face.

Only one brother left.

 

--

 

A/N: Brotherly love has ended; major fluff coming your way.

By the way, if you’ve watched Goblin ep 12—WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT, AM I RITE? But I appreciate them touching on Goryeo. And we all love Grim Reaper, don’t we?