Her Struggles

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

The big rocks made her small trip from the Damiwon to the lake side was hard for her failing knees, She stumbled twice but had to force herself to get up. If she were honest enough, she didn’t want to be here; she wished she was far away—from the trouble and the siege.

But here she was, seated on the dusty ground beside a troubled Fourth Prince.

“Why did you ask for me?” she asked him.

He turned his head to face her and it was only then she got a good look at him. His eyes were red and bloodshot, as if he was crying.

“I thought that if I went to you, you would never forgive me,” he said between tears, “But...you might be understanding.”

There was too much pain in his face and his voice. Obviously, he was broken. She waited for him to continue his tragic tale.

“I...stabbed my older brother,” he confessed before breaking down.

She didn’t know which surprised her more: the fact that he already killed one of his brothers or how his rebellious and courageous demeanor crumbled before her very eyes. She had known that one of the Princes would die because of him. But seeing him cry — pained and filled with regret — shed a new light to that vision.

There was too much hurt there; she couldn’t ignore him further.

Tentatively, she reached out to him and patted his shoulders. His cries intensified and before she knew it, she pulled him in for a hug. As he sobbed, Soo did her best to comfort him.

His pain was too great and the best she could do was share it with him.

 


 

Ha-Jin woke up with tears in her eyes for the nth time. She placed both hands in her face, rubbing her eyes to stop the tears from falling. But she couldn’t; they just kept coming and she couldn't stop crying.

 

The pain from her dream was all too familiar. She remembered wanting to make him feel better, despite her fears. But all she could do was stay there and be with him.

Ha-Jin hugged her knees and buried her head in them.

If she had a choice, she wanted everything to stop. She just wanted to be make-up artist, living a quiet life. She didn’t want to be trapped in the memory of Hae Soo or Wang So—everything about Goryeo. She as Go Ha-Jin now for Pete's sake; this new life meant she deserved all thing new -- even a clean salte.

But right now, one thing was as clear as the day:

I miss him so much.

---

 

“It’s gracious of your boss to allow you to drop by our office despite your shift,” said Presenter Ji-Hyun as he accompanied Ha-Jin.

“She figured I knew better about the period anyway, I guess,” answered Ha-Jin, “She’s not a big fan of Goryeo, unfortunately. So the responsibility fell on my shoulders. But it’s alright; I like this project.”

Ji-Hyun smiled. “I’m happy to have another co-lover on board,” he said, “It’s like we were fated to meet at that exhibit, Miss Ha-Jin.”

Ha-Jin laughed as she shifted the plans from one arm to another. Together with Ji-Hyun, they had just finished conceptualizing the new products from the Goryeo line. They had fun talking about the type of soaps they could make, as well as the extensive use of Bulgaria rose oils for face masks. Now, they were on their way to present the material.

It’s been almost two months since the collaboration. She would drop by every now and then to see for product developments and meetings with the bosses—which included Jae-Yeong.

Ha-Jin was nervous, especially since she’d be seeing Jae-Yeong again. Working with him weren’t exactly pleasant as she hoped. He had two moods: terrible and more terrible. Even his smiles seemed sarcastic. It's almost as if the guy lived for all things negative. Whenever Ji-Hyun said that Jae-Yeong wasn’t usually like that, she couldn’t believe it.

“So...the Hwang Corporation handles our make-up line, huh?” she asked her senior.

“They handle a lot of things in Korea, to be honest,” said Ji-Hyun, “Hwang Kwang-Soo is really good at building networks, which explains why he has a lot of businesses. Even the exhibit was spearheaded by one of their own.”

“Wow, they basically own everything.”

“They could own you if they wanted to.”

Ha-Jin flashed an expression of horror, which made her senior laugh.

“I’m just kidding, Miss Ha-Jin,” said Ji-Hyun, “But indeed, they do own almost everything. It’s fortunate Kwang-Soo has three sons. At least, his legacy will not die.”

“But I heard he plans on making only one of them the top man,”

Ji-Hyun chuckled, “And the one he chose is the one with too much steam and issues,” he remarked, “Impressive parenting, don’t you think?”

Before she could answer, Ji-Hyun led her towards another conference room where two people were waiting.

“Ahh Miss Ha-Jin!”

Wook’s reincarnated version, Tae-Won, waved at her. She was surprised by his appearance and seeing him beside Jae-Yeong did not help. It was strange for her to see them in such close quarters, considering the fact they were once enemies.

Wait, they’re not the Princes. They’re different. Stop calling them princes. For all you know, they’re not related.

Jae-Yeong was busy looking at business proposals and didn’t bother to acknowledge their presence. He signed one after the other and placed them inside envelopes.

“Did you even read them?” asked Ji-Hyun.

“I’m a fast reader,” answered Jae-Yeong, signing another contract and handing it to Tae-Won. Ji-Hyun shook his head while Ha-Jin sat on a nearby chair, trying hard not to let her mind go haywire again.

“Ah, by the way, will you be coming tonight?” asked Tae-Won.

“I can’t,” said Jae-Yeong bluntly, “I have an appointment.”

Tae-Won had a beckoning look on his face. “Mother wants to see you,” he said.

Wait, Mother?

Jae-Yeong signed the last paper and placed it in Tae-Won’s hands. “She wants to see me or she wants to see if I’ve failed already?” he asked sarcastically, “Why would she want to see me when she has you and Il-Sung?”

Tae-Won, noticing Ha-Jin and Ji-Hyun, flashed them an apologetic grin as he tried to talk to his brother.

“We’ll talk about this later, hyung,” he said.

“No, we won’t,” said Jae-Yeong, “I’m not going.”

Tae-Won sighed and kept quiet instead. He gathered all the other papers and made his way out. But before he exited, he smiled at Ha-Jin and Ji-Hyun.

“We’ll see you later, right Ji-Hyun?” he asked.

“Yes, I’ll be there. Your father and I have a lot of business to talk about,” answered Ji-Hyun. Tae-Won smiled appreciatively and turned his attention to Ha-Jin. She could feel her muscles tensing at the sight of the Eighth Prince (It’s Tae-Won! Not Wang Wook!).

“It’s nice seeing you around, Miss Ha-Jin,” he said, “You’ve been dropping by for two months but we haven’t had a decent chat yet. We should have some coffee.”

She smiled at him. “That would be nice,” she said.

“Are you done flirting? The marketing department needs those,” remarked Jae-Yeong. Ha-Jin watched Tae-Won’s smile slide off his face as he nodded at her and went his way. She watched as he walked away, torn between feeling bad for him and annoyed at this Wang So incarnate.

“What brings you here?” Jae-Yeong asked Ji-Hyun, “Are those the samples for the Goryeo line?”

“Yes, Miss Ha-Jin and I finalized the line and we came up with impressive products,” bragged Ji-Hyun, “She’s a star, that one. The development team appreciated her insight.”

Ha-Jin blushed at Ji-Hyun’s comment. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, looked at her for the first time.

“Well, of course she has to be,” he said, “Otherwise, she’d be a crappy cosmetic specialist.”

Excuse me?

Ha-Jin kept herself from retaliating to his unpleasant comments. She forced herself to keep calm and just smile.

“That’s true,” was all she said.

Jae-Yeong stared at her, looking from top to bottom. It was as if she was studying her. Ha-Jin recalled the Fourth Prince always degrading her and sometimes, threatening her with death. But on a normal day, he wasn’t this condescending.

“I see you’re not as snappy as I thought you were,” he continued, “Or maybe I haven’t pushed the right buttons yet.”

She bit her lip as she tried to react positively. What was wrong with him? Why was he so negative?

“I wouldn’t want that,” she replied shortly.

“Why not? Not up for a big fight?’

What in the world—?

“Jae-Yeong,” began Ji-Hyun, “That’s enough teasing—“

“No,” said Ha-Jin, “It’s not that. Unlike some people, I know how to respect.”

Her temper got the best of her. She looked at him straight in the eye.

“I don’t want to waste my time fighting with immature brats,” she spat. Before he could even say a word, Ha-Jin stood up and bowed to Ji-Hyun.

“I’ll be going Ji-Hyun-nim,” she said, “Please call me in case there are changes.” Without another word to him or Ji-Hyun, she left.

Ha-Jin didn’t even make it past the second floor when she broke down. The tears came all of a sudden and she couldn’t stop them once they started.

When she realized everything she dreamt about was real, she sorely wanted to see the protagonist of her dreams. She remembered the intense feelings of longing she experienced during her last days — of how she wanted to stay in his arms and die there. She wanted to see that child-like smile on his face, hear his deep laugh, and feel the warmth of his embrace.

So, when he finally appeared in the flesh, Ha-Jin had a lot of hope. They weren’t exactly going to pick up where they left but there must be something there.

Unfortunately, this Wang So incarnate...it wasn’t Wang So.

It would never be him.

She buried her face in her hands as she sobbed.

 

I miss him.

---

 

“Would the usual order cheer you up?”

 

Ha-Jin smiled at the young barista, who also had a cheeky smile on his face.

“I’d be happier if it were for free,” she teased, pouting.

The barista mocked a torn expression on his face. “I’m not that old to pay for pretty ladies yet,” he replied, “As much as I want to.”

Ha-Jin laughed, “Nah, it’s alright, Ji-Woo. I’ll have the usual,” she said, “That would be great.”

As the barista got to work, he commented on the story she just told. “Wow, that boss of yours sure is a big jerk, huh?” he asked, “I mean, what’s he got against you or anyone? It’s like he’s angry at the world.”

“He’s just got a lot of issues, I guess,” remarked Ha-Jin.

“But he sounds like a guy on his period.”

“Hey, don’t use women-related terms to mock immature people like him,”

Ji-Woo shook his head as he blended the milk and chocolate. “Is that why you’re here almost every day?” he asked, “Stressed or something?”

“Yeah, it’s a good thing your cafe opened near the apartment,” said Ha-Jin, “And it’s also fortunate that a barista like you has the time to listen to your customer’s stupid problems.”

Ji-Woo smiled as he poured the drink on a cup and topped it whipped cream. “You’re lucky you’re a pretty noona,” he said, “Otherwise, I wouldn’t talk to you.”

They both laughed. Ha-Jin took a sip of her beverage, allowing the smooth, chocolatey goodness soothe and temper. Cold drinks were her go-to whenever she had a bad encounter with Jae-Yeon. She was really thankful for this new cafe, as well as for the cute dongsaeng barista.

“Remember, I was stressed when we first talked,” she said, “I didn’t talk to you because I thought you were cute.”

Ji-Woo mocked a pout and smiled as he cleaned the countertop.

“If your boss is such a pain in the , why do stay there?” he asked.

“He’s not my boss,” explained Ha-Jin, “He’s just a team lead.”

“Well, if he’s not your boss, more reasons to just ditch his sorry , right?” asked the barista.

Ha-Jin stirred her drink with the straw. Ji-Woo was right; she could just leave the project since she wasn’t such a big part. She’ll just tell Manager Park that her migraines were worse than ever and the extra hours did not help. Her life will be easier.

Unfortunately, something kept her there—or someone.

She heaved a sigh. Why wasn’t it easy?

Ha-Jin looked at her watch. “Wow, it’s ten already,” she said, “I better go. I’ll just return the cup tomorrow. Your manager won’t mind, right?”

Ji-Woo shook his head, “We’ve only known each other for a month and you’re taking advantage of me like this, noona,” he complained. Ha-Jin flicked his nose with her finger and laughed.

“I’ll return it as soon as I wake up,” she said, getting up from her chair, “Besides, it seems like I’ll be back tomorrow for more rants.”

She took her bag and the cup and bid Ji-Woo goodbye.

“I’ll expect the cup and those stories tomorrow, noona!” exclaimed the barista. Ha-Jin nodded and went to the door, but before she did, she glanced back at the waving dongsaeng.

 

His smile warmed her heart. It was good to see the Fourteenth Prince again. It really was.

 

---

 

“Is he really that mean?”

Ha-Jin rolled her eyes as she leaned on the countertop display. “Si Eun, if a man had menstrual period, he’s the living testimony,” she said.

“But we saw him that one time Manager Park brought us,” said Luna, who was arranging the display, “He smiled at us. It was just for a second but man, that smile was incredible.

“God yes!” exclaimed Si Eun, “He even offered us coffee...well he ordered his assistant to get us coffee.”

“He’s only nice if he knows you’re not a direct subordinate,” explained Ha-Jin, “But underneath all that, he’s a mean guy who bosses people around. Come to think about it, I haven’t seen him smile genuinely.”

It was closing time and the girls were cleaning up—except Ha-Jin. She watched as Luna and Si Eun tidied their little store before Manager Park could say anything.

“Maybe he’s just like that—the cold guy everyone falls in love with,” commented Si Eun, “I’m all for the mean guy exterior.”

Ha-Jin rolled her eyes as she heaved a sigh. Whether she liked it or not, she was also a er for mean men. But the Fourth Prince wasn’t that mean...

“Hey Ha-Jinah, help us out with this box,” said Luna, “Don’t just stand there.”

“All right,” said Ha-Jin, raising her hands and stretching, “But my migraine—“

“You have no migraine!”

“Stop using it to get away from responsibilities!”

Ha-Jin laughed as she heaved a box and placed it on the shelf, getting one bottle after another. She arranged them neatly, admiring the pink bottle of their rose oil fragrance. The store’s door bell rang, making Ha-Jin wonder who’d buy cosmetics at this time of the night.

“Hello—“

She stopped at the sight of Hwang Jae-Yeong.

“Ah, hello sir!” greeted Si Eun and Luna.

Out of his office attire, Jae-Yeong looked like a young mafia boss in his dark shirt topped with a black leather jacket. His hair was windswept; the sight of a motorcycle outside confirmed Ha-Jin’s suspicions he rode his way alone. One hand wrapped around his helmet, the other shoved in his pockets, he looked like he meant business but he didn’t.

He nodded to Si Eun and Luna but kept his eyes firm on Ha-Jink. He cocked his head to the left, a cocky smile on his face.

“Do you still want that apology?” he asked.

“What?” asked Ha-Jin.

He straightened up. “You said I owe you an apology, remember?” he said, “Do you still want it?”

“I...I...” stammered Ha-Jin.

He smiled crookedly. “I’ll give it to you. Come with me.”

 

---

 

A/N: I watched everything again; of course, I broke my heart again. Writing this, however, patched the broken pieces together. If you know someone who needs this, don't hesitate to share.We all need to fill that gap.

Jung the barista tho.