Re-Discovery

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“What the hell is wrong with that guy? Has ever heard of manners?”

 

Ha-Jin found Ji-Woo’s anger at her boss adorable. The dongsaeng's eyebrows knit in the middle, his eyes flaring as he added chocolate shavings on her drink.

“My god, and to think he’s a business tycoon. I mean, I know he’s rich but that doesn’t give him a right to leave his date in the middle of nowhere with a broken heel,” he continued, “That’s just plain rude.” He added a straw and gave Ha-Jin her Chocolate Sundae Surprise.

“Keep your cool, Ji-Woo. I’m the one who’s supposed to be super infuriated, remember?” she asked, taking a sip of his latest creation.

The café’s Saturday evening was a quiet one—just the way she liked it. It gave her time to work in peace, as well as chat with her favorite barista. She smacked her lips and smiled at him.

“This is delicious,” she said.

“…waah, what I’d give to smack that guy in the face,” complained Ji-Woo, wiping the countertop furiously, “He doesn’t know how to treat women! Why I’d kick him in the—“ then she smacked the towel on the sink. Ha-Jin suppressed a laugh as she watched this Wang Jung incarnate express his frustration.

“Calm down there,” said Ha-Jin, “I’m okay anyway, I got home safely! No need to freak out.” She reached out to pinch Ji-Woo’s cheeks.

He just shook his head.  “I hate it when that sort of thing happens. You don’t deserve it, noona,” he said, “You’re one of the nicest customers I’ve met.”

She smiled as she took another sip. She really enjoyed Ji-Woo’s company; it brought her back to fond memories of the Fourteenth Prince, except this time, he wasn’t wielding a sword—he was a master of blenders and whipped cream.

“But how’d you get home?” he asked, “Did you walk?”

--

(Last night)

Ha-Jin limped her way out of the hotel’s grand hall, frustrated. She was angry at everything—at Jae-Yeong for being a jerk, at her broken heel, and—when it started dripping—the rain. She didn’t have enough money to hail a cab and walking home wasn’t an option.

She felt so pathetic in her pretty dress and broken heels. Ha-Jin looked at her phone and sent Chae-rin a desperate message. She hadn’t replied yet.

Aisht, how am I going to get home? she wondered, That inconsiderate jerk! Leaving me out here in the cold.

She considered booking a room at the hotel, but given the 5-star recommendation, room prices weren’t exactly cheap.

Maybe I can just sleep in one of the waiting areas? I’ll explain to the staff that I’m not in the best condition to go home? Pretend I’m drunk—?

“Ah, Miss Ha-Jin!”

She turned around to see the pleasant face of Tae-Won. He had taken his coat off and was just wearing the white long-sleeved shirt that looked well on him.

“Hello there,” she greeted.

Tae-Won looked around, “Have you seen Jae-Yeong? My parents were wondering where he went,” he said.

“Well…he left,” she answered.

“What? You mean he’s gone?”

She nodded. “He left thirty minutes ago,” she said, “He didn’t say where though.”

Tae-Won looked at her. “How are you going home then?”

Ha-Jin looked down at her broken heel and felt so embarrassed. “I…actually don’t know,” she replied, “He sort of left me here.”

Tae-Won gazed at her broken heel then at the rain. His face flashed a disappointed look, which was immediately followed by a smile. You’d think a light bulb appeared in his head or something.

“You wait there,” he said. Before she could say anything, he was gone. And a minute later, she was in his car.

“You don’t really have to drive me home,” she told him once they were inside, “I mean…I could just stay in the hotel and walk tomorrow.”

He shook his head as he revved the engine. “That’s not going to happen. Your heel is broken and it’s raining,” he said, “I’m not going to leave you there.”

“But won’t your parents look for you?”

Tae-Won chuckled. “It’s not my engagement party anyway,” he said, “The guests will flock over Il-Sung hyung and Narin.”

She watched his good-natured face as he kept his eyes on the road. He was a dead ringer for Hae Soo’s first love and Ha-Jin didn’t know what to feel. She recalled vague moments with him—sitting in a hidden cave, a marriage proposal, and that walk in the snow. But she also remembered how he left when Hae Soo needed him.

But this wasn’t Wang Wook.

“I’m sorry about my brother, by the way,” he said, “Among the three of us, he’s usually the unpredictable one. But that’s not an excuse. I’m sorry.”

“That’s okay,” she replied, “I mean, I’m used to him being like that. Just didn’t think he’d leave me out in the cold but I’ll be fine.”

“I’ll talk to him about this—“

“No, it’s fine, really,” said Ha-Jin. She didn’t want Jae-Yeong complaining about her complaining to his younger brother.

“He hasn’t been himself lately,” added Tae-Won, “He’s had a hard couple of years, especially with the company resting on his shoulders and the bad press. I hope you understand.”

The kindness in his voice was too familiar for Ha-Jin. It was that affectionate and caring tone Hae Soo had always admired of Wang Wook—the sense of security and the assurance that he’s there for you. She couldn’t help but feel the same.

“Yeah, I do,” she said, “I’m not going to kill him, don’t worry. I don’t want to lose my job. I love it.”

“So, you’ve always been fascinated with make-up and the Goryeo period?”

“Make-up, since I was a kid,” she answered, “Goryeo, just recently.”

“That’s interesting. I used to sleep through my History classes in college,” he said, “Never found period histories reliable to my life. I mean…they’re dead. How’s it going to affect my future?”

Ha-Jin looked at him thoughtfully. “Sometimes, a look back at yesterday gives you a clearer image of tomorrow,” she said. Tae-Won chuckled as he made a right.

“Whoa, aren’t you the wise one?” he said, “I think you should be president of the company.”

She shook her head, “Nah, I’m better off where I am,” she said, “What are you supposed to be?”

Tae-Won took another right. “Future assistant to the future CEO,” he said non-chalantly, “Whoever gets that position.”

“Wow, and here I am talking to you like you’re my level,”

He smiled and looked at her. “I honestly like it,” he said, “To think this is our first serious conversation in two months.”

She smiled back. “It’s not better than a coffee shop, but it works, right?”

--

Ha-Jin smiled at the memory of her conversation with Tae-Won. They spent the entire night talking about the company and make-up (Tae-Won was particularly stressed with ridiculous make-up shade names). When he dropped her off, she couldn’t be more than thankful but he brushed her gratitude, saying he couldn’t wait for her to get stranded again so he could “…drive you off and swap more make-up stories.”

“Hey noona, are you finished with that cup?” came Ji-Woo’s voice.

“Ah, yeah,” she said, handing it to him, “Do you feel better now?”

“As long as I don’t meet that guy, I think I’m fine,” he replied, “But that other guy who took you home, I like him.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, in fact, I think…well, I dunno…”

“What?”

Ji-Woo stared knowingly at her. “I think he might have a little crush on you,” he said, “I mean…it’s obvious.”

“What? No way. Hwang Tae-Won’s just really nice. He’s known for it,”

The young barista leaned over with a confused expression on his face, “I don’t know but I’m a guy. Based on your stories, I can tell he likes you,” he said, “Not all the way but a little crush.”

“Hey, stop that,” said Ha-Jin, “Why don’t you get me another waffle?”

“Ah, I’m your slave again, aren’t I?” asked Ji-Woo, “Coming right up, my master Noona!” The dongsaeng rushed to the pastry corner to get what she ordered, leaving Ha-Jin to her thoughts.

She hated that she was too caught up with the past. Admittedly, she always hoped that Jae-Yeong was the incarnate of Hae Soo’s unrequited love. She truly believed there was something in the revelations of these characters from her past life, particularly the Wang So incarnate. But given the pace of events, it seems like there might be nothing it all.

Could Jae-Yeong just look like Wang So and nothing anymore?

She’d be lying if she said she still had her hopes, but the flame was slowly diminishing. It was painful, but if it’s fate, then fate is cruel.

--

Sundays at the museum called for families and friends out on an artistic adventure. Some of them visited for the sake of going somewhere on a weekend, others hoped to capture selca-worthy shots.

It was different for Ha-Jin.

Amidst the busy people and children running around, she stood in front of the gigantic portrait of Emperor Gwangjong from the Goryeo period, staring wistfully. She spent the first half of her visit looking at the relics, remembering how she used them before. Thirty minutes later, she ended up in front of his image again.

Soaking in relics of her life before encouraged a rush of memories—some of them the same, others were new. But all of them pointed back at him—the Emperor.

Ha-Jin remembered feeling troubled for leaving the Palace. She wanted to stay, but the bloodshed was just too much.

I wanted to stay. You know I did. I wanted to be there for you, she told the portrait, I’m sorry for leaving you.

Looking at his familiar face gave her a sense of security, as well as lack. It was a reminder that he existed, that she wasn’t dreaming, and that he was long gone. She wanted to cry but she was tired. So, she just settled on his face.

“Why is it that I always find you staring at the King’s face?” asked a familiar voice.

Ha-Jin was startled at the sight of Presenter Ji-Hyun’s friendly face.

“Ahh, Ji-Hyun-nim,” she greeted, “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Well, I didn’t expect to see you in these places, either, Miss Ha-Jin,” he replied, “It’s like whenever I do, however, you’re always staring at the Emperor.”

“You’ve only seen me twice,”

Ji-Hyun laughed. “That’s fair enough,” he said, “Admittedly, spending Sundays admiring art and history  is better than partying.” He then gazed knowingly at her. Ha-Jin wondered if the senior could read minds. “Isn’t that why you’re here?”

“Uh…yes,” she said, “I guess I’ve always been fascinated by this period.”

“Truly, the battle for the throne by the princes is worth the attention. It’s a story of deceit, bloodshed, and broken family ties,” remarked Ji-Hyun, “Everything was political—even marriages. Love wasn’t always part of the equation.”

Ha-Jin watched as Ji-Hyun looked at the portrait thoughtfully. She was reminded of Astronomer Ji Mong.

“Emperor Gwangjong was the Iron Fist of his era. People didn’t know if they liked him or not because he was ruthless yet just at the same time,” he continued, “They said he had no sense of affection—an emotionless ruler who ran on power, smarts, and military tactics. Even his firstborn claimed his father did not know how to love—not even his son.”

“I don’t believe it,” she said all of a sudden.

Ji-Hyun gazed at her and smiled. “What makes you think that?”

“I…I just think it’s unfair to label someone emotionless just because of what they saw,” reasoned Ha-Jin, “No one can live without love.”

The senior nodded, “There are stories of the Emperor loving a court lady,” he said, “When he was just the Fourth Prince, Gwangjong, said the rumors, dedicated his life to this special woman. If that story is true, then she is a lucky lady for even Queen Daemok did not enjoy her husband’s affectionless state.”

“You are my person.”

“She is mine, I said. She is mine.”

 “When you touched my face, I decided I will never let you go.”

“I’ve always wondered who that court lady was,” continued Ji-Hyun, “Would’ve been nice to prove that Wang So wasn’t as emotionless as people claim—“

“Do you believe in past lives?” Ha-Jin blurted out all of a sudden.

Ji-Hyun was taken aback with her question. She knew he might think she was crazy, but she should take this chance. He seemed learned with history; maybe he knew a thing or two about reincarnation.

“Well,” began Ji-Hyun, “I have touched on reincarnation during my post-graduate studies; it was a hobby. I enjoyed sitting in classes that discussed past lives and other religious concepts. I wasn’t a big believer but I’m not closing any doors. Why do you ask?”

Are you going to tell him?

“I…well, my friend is writing a story about it and I wanted to know what you think about reincarnation,” she said, “Why do they happen?”

“Well the concept of reincarnation is the soul correcting itself, basically. By manifesting in another body after it dies, it aims to improve. If you’ll look at it from a Buddhist point-of-view, the soul regenerates until it has achieved nirvana,” began Ji-hyun, “Life goes through a maturing process through different velocities. When the soul feels the need to correct itself, it does so one cycle after the other.”

“Do reincarnated people remember their past lives? I mean, is that normal?”

“Most people don’t but there’s that nagging feeling of instinct or change,” he said, “It is better for the self to forget and hopefully start fresh. I guess the universe thought that instilling too many memories in one person could make their heads explode.”

“But then there are special cases where the reincarnated individual remembers bits and pieces. It manifests through memories that don’t make sense or even dreams.”

Ha-Jin recalled those sleepless night a week after waking up from her coma. That man in the mask haunted her dreams. Who would’ve thought she’d wanted him to haunt her in reality as well?

“What if the reincarnated individual remembers everything?” she asked, “And sees people from their previous life too?”

Ji-Hyun flashed a curious look. “What kind of book is your friend writing?”

“A weird one,”

Fortunately, this made the senior laugh.

“Well, in that case, the soul has a deeper purpose,” he continued, “From what I can remember, it doesn’t happen often but when it does, it is significant. It means life is giving a second chance to people involved, particularly the one who remembers it all. Understanding and fulfilling that purpose, however, rests on their shoulders as well.”

“I remember my professor telling me that life will correct itself when it has to. The reason varies, but usually it’s because of the impact. Such scenarios occur because it will affect a number,” he said, “But a collective union of reincarnated souls in one period is complicated because not everyone will accept. Those who reject are the ones who tamper with nature’s supposed plans.”

“Why would they reject?” asked Ha-Jin, “It’s still your life. Why not accept it?”

“Because the soul is fragile, Ha-Jinah. That’s what they say,” he explained, “Not everyone is accepting of what they know because of doubts and logic. That is bad news for the regenerated soul, however, because it cannot complete its purpose.”

There was a still silence as Ha-Jin digested this new information.

Her recalling everything and seeing these people from her previous life was no longer just a coincidence. Everything Ji-Hyun said made sense—it made her situation more real. Unfortunately, she realized that things weren’t simple anymore.

“What happens if it fails?”

Ji-Hyun looked at her.

“That…I do not know.”

There was heaviness in the tone he spoke; it scared Ha-Jin. But his serious face was immediately altered to a bright smile.

“Well, this conversation has been very insightful,” he remarked, “You tested my memory and I have proven that I did listen well during those classes. I hope this helps your friend’s story.”

“Ah…oh yes,” said Ha-Jin, “But…she might need to know more. Do you know how I can help her?”

“I think I still have notes from that class, I can lend them to you if you want,” said Ji-Hyun, “Also, the Internet is helpful.” He then looked at his watch, “Ahh, I should get going. The wife is preparing a delicious meal and I promised my daughter I’d go watch the game with her. I’ll leave you here, Miss. Ha-Jin.”

“Alright, thank you for accompanying me,” she said, “And thanks for the information. It was helpful!”

The presenter bid her goodbye and made his way out, leaving Ha-Jin to her thoughts.

There were still many unanswered questions about her situation but there was also some light. She finally understood why she remembered but was scared of her next step. She’d be lying if she said Ji-Hyun’s words about the soul not remembering did not scare her. If she was part of nature correcting itself, what about the others? Would this just fall on her shoulders.

Still, it gave her hope. If she remembers, then surely, her Wang So was in this life.

He just doesn’t remember.

 

--

A/N: I’m not much of a learned scholar so please forgive my take on past lives and reincarnation. This is fiction so everything I wrote is a mix of real and not real. But for the sake of this fan fiction, think of it as real.

Hope you liked it. Also, if you want to comment, please write a new one. It’s hard to keep track on replies and I really enjoy talking to all of you.