The Stranger

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“It’s like every time we see each other, you’re either sick or injured. Were you born with a misplaced birthmark or something?”

Unfortunately for Si Eun, Ha Jin wasn’t paying attention to her remarks. The latter was too busy trying to see over the gathering crowds. Her heels hurt but she tiptoed, looking over the heads and busy chatters.

“Hey, Go Ha-Jin! Are you listening to me?” complained Si Eun, “What are you looking for anyway?”

“No…nothing,” answered Ha-Jin, still peeking at the people while fixing the displays.

Si Eun shook her head and dusted off the rose oils. She took the flyer lying on the table and read. “Wow, there’s a lot happening today,” she said, “Traditional Goryeo dances, a re-enactment of some sort of ritual, and food tasting. God, we’ll be cleaning up big-time later.”

Ha-Jin nodded despite not listening. She kept her eyes nailed at the people while she fixed the displays.

Her brain was too preoccupied to digest everything Si Eun was saying. She did hear about her co-worker commenting on her knees, which hurt like crazy. Why wouldn’t they? After all, she did run extra miles the night before.

 


 

(Last Night)

 

She froze on the spot. If jaws could literally fall, hers might have dropped all the way to the sewer system. Fortunately, only her umbrella fell to the floor.

All it took was one man’s gaze. But looking at him, he wasn’t just anyone.

His hair was still jet black, but styled differently and definitely shorter. The old-fashioned Prince’s tunic was replaced with a dark coat and a long-sleeved shirt perfectly complementing his dark skin. But the eyes, the cheeks, and even the nose—they were all the same.

The scar, however, was nowhere to be found.

The man noticed she was staring at him. His eyes (those dark colored eyes) transformed, showing a hint of concern.

“Can I help you?” he asked.

She lost her voice. Ha Jin was too dumbfounded as she took in every detail of his face.

It’s him. It’s really him. Oh my god.

The Fourth Prince was staring at her, waiting for an answer.

Seeing that she wasn’t probably going to say anything, the stranger bent and got her fallen umbrella. He handed it to her, giving her a closer look of his uniquely-shaped eyes.

“Your umbrella,” he said.

Ha-Jin couldn’t function properly. She could just feel the tears threatening to fall as she stared at his extended hand and her pink umbrella. opened, but no words came out, despite the thousands of things she wanted to say.

All she did was reach out for her umbrella with shaky hands.

The sight of him triggered a reaction within Ha-Jin, one that proved all her dreams did make sense. She wanted the tears to stop, but one fell smoothly on her cheek as she stared at the stranger.

He seemed clueless with her inner struggle.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

 

“If you told me to run away, I’d do it.”

 

It was his voice.

Ha-Jin kept her breathing steady as she tried to muster words. Her brain had dozens of responses, but they didn’t come out.

Figuring she wouldn’t say anything, the man simply nodded at her and left. Her frozen body failed to follow, but her eyes did. She stared at his back and wondered if the scars were still there. Eventually, he disappeared.

It took a minute or two for Ha-Jin to realize what had just happened. As the clean-up crew turned off the lights, her senses finally kicked in.

She started running.

Ha-Jin raced towards the exits, hoping to glimpse even his crop of hair. She pushed aside a group of teenagers wandering and dodged a janitor and his mop. Her eyes never left the man with the large coat.

“So!” she exclaimed.

He didn’t turn around. He kept walking and Ha-Jin kept running.

The man swerved through the sea of people gathering at the local market. Ha-Jin kept her eyes peeled on him as he excused himself and made his way. She wished she could run faster; she didn’t want to lose him.

He stopped by the pedestrian lane and crossed. Ha-Jin prayed she could reach him, forcing her legs to run. He was on the other street already when she reached the lane and was stopped by a red light. She watched as he disappeared behind another crowd.

“So-ya!” she called out. He never came back.

 


 

Her knees were still sore but Ha-Jin paid them no mind. She still couldn’t believe what happened last night.

There was no mistake; it was his face she saw; a different version but definitely him. Ha-Jin couldn’t forget how he stared at her when he offered her umbrella. It was the very same stare he had—minus the tenderness he specially reserved for her.

She sighed and tried to hold the tears back again. Ha-Jin was not the crybaby type, but ever since the accident, it was all she could do. Now that she finally saw the man in her dreams (or past life, as she starts to accept this fact), it was on a different level.

There were still gaps in her memories but he was the only sure thing.

Ha-Jin, get yourself together, she told herself, You said you wouldn’t dwell so much. Why are you chasing a stranger just because he looks like him? It’s not him. You know it’s not him.

She fixed her eyes at the people coming and going. A group of women were already scurrying around their products, asking Si Eun about the price.

This is your life now. Almost breaking your knees for a man who doesn’t know you is pointless, she continued, Don’t do this to yourself. Move on. Move forward.

“Thank you and come again!”

Si Eun smiled as she handed the bag to her happy customers. Ha-Jin added another bottle to the display to cover the gap.

“Ahhh, I can’t wait for the sword dance performance later,” said Si Eun, “I asked the boss if I could watch it.”

“Sword dance?”

“Yeah, the one they did to drive out evil spirits during that period,” answered Si Eun, “I heard they’re all incredibly handsome.”

“But wouldn’t their faces be covered with masks?” asked Ha-Jin, “I know exorcism rites work that way.”

Si Eun pouted at her. “You’re such a party pooper,” she complained, “Do you want to watch it with me, though? You never know.”

Ha-Jin smiled, “All right,” she said, “I’ll come with you to stalk on pretty boys.”

Si Eun giggled as she entertained the new batch of customers. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, busied herself with the inventory. She wanted to keep her mind off the ordeal—off that random stranger she met last night.

This is your life now, Ha-Jin, she said, You’re Go Ha Jin—a girl who sells make-up. You’re not a court lady named Hae Soo. Just forget about it.

 

--

 

The sword dance was as smooth and entertaining as everyone anticipated. Dancers represented the princes who led the ceremony. Everyone oohed and ahhed at the impressive choreography, beautiful costumes, and stunning martial arts.

Ha-Jin, on the other hand, tried to imagine which prince was which.

The leader driving out the demons was most likely Crown Prince Mu. As for the others, donning similar red costumes, Ha-Jin could only label according to her senses; the one who fumbled was probably the 10th Prince while the other with a steady sword grip was the 14th.

She remembered not watching this performance live as Hae Soo. She was out in the market with Chae-Ryung, her constant companion. She did, however, end up in the forest with dangerous men and the Wang So saving the day.

The thought of her Fourth Prince immediately erased the smile on her face.

“Waah, aren’t they amazing?” asked Si Eun, “So coordinated!”

The dance ended with the leader chasing away the demons. Everyone applauded as he concluded the performance with a sweeping motion.

“God, that was so cool!” exclaimed Si Eun as the performers bowed and quickly exited, leaving the stage for the gisaeng performance, “Wasn’t it Ha-Jin?”

Ha-Jin flashed a small smile, “Yeah, it was,” she said.

“Those were so synchronized! They could’ve chased away any demon,” said Si Eun, “In fact, they could chase me if they want.”

Ha-Jin laughed as they made their way back through the sea of people. They only asked to watch the sword dance so that means it’s back to work. People were busy flocking around the sword dance performers so navigating was easier for the girls.

Once they got back to their booth, Ha-Jin dusted off the display again.

“Well, hello there Miss Ha-Jin.”

She turned around to see the friendly presenter from yesterday.

“Ah Mr. Park,” said Ha-Jin, bowing politely, “Would you like some perfume?”

Ji-Hyun laughed heartily. “Is that the question you wanted to ask?” he said, “I thought it was related to Goryeo history.”

Do I really want to know more?

Ha-Jin smiled at him, “Ahh I don’t know if I’ll have time for that. It looks like a lot,” she said, “But maybe I could interest you in a talk about rose oils and why you should buy your wife one today?”

“You sly girl,” remarked Ji-Hyun, “Pretending to be interested in history only to sell!”

They both laughed.

“Oh and by the way, the artist is here,” he added, “The one behind those paintings you saw.”

“Really?”

Ha-Jin was uncertain with meeting someone Goryeo-related again. If she wanted to move on, she had to stop talking about anything or with anyone interested in that period.

“Uhm…are you sure—?”

“He’s here,” said Ji-Hyun, “Jae-Yeongah! Come over here!” he exclaimed, waving to one of the performers; the leader, in particular, who was still wearing his mask. He made his way through the crowd, still holding his sword.

“He’s one of the performers?” asked Ha-Jin out of interest.

“Recreational purposes,” explained Ji-Hyun, “Isn’t that right, Jae-Yeongah?”

The performer took his mask off and held it by his waist. His large hand ran through his mop of hair, shaking it with the hopes of a little fix.

“What?” asked the deep voice.

Ha-Jin felt her body freezing once again.

The man looked at her and flashed a small and polite smile; his deep-set eyes crinkling a bit.

“Hello again,” greeted the Fourth Prince. 

 

---

 

A/N: One thing I learned from Scarlet Heart Ryeo: don't expect too much. Despite watching the Chinese version before (and knowing how things would end), I hoped the Korean remake would at least end on a happier note. But it didn't. Admittedly, I have no problem with the Hae Soo/Wang So montage in the end, but at least give us present Wang So, right? 

That's what I did. 

Word of caution: He might not be the same guy you think he should be.