Christmas (Part 1)

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

The December snow was fascinating from where she stood inside the store. Ha-Jin leaned on one of the countertops, watching each flake make its way to the ground. Christmas was coming soon and she couldn’t wait anymore.

“Ahhh isn’t the snow just wonderful?” she sighed.

“Hey Ha-Jinah, you’ve been making ogling eyes with the snow,” complained Si Eun, “Let’s pack up so we can go home early.”

“Wah but it’s so beautiful,” she gushed, finally straightening up, “I love watching it. When I was young, Mother would accompany me whenever I wait for the first flake to drop. It was so magical.”

“I’m so excited for the holidays,” exclaimed Luna, “My family’s going to Jeju and I get to bring my boyfriend along!”

“Luck you,” sighed Ha-Jin, “I barely have plans for the holidays.”

“Aren’t you going out of town with your mom and brother?” asked Si Eun, “Not going to visit your father’s grave?”

“No. Kyung-Soo's going out of town for business while Mom’s asthma makes everything tricky; she needs rest,” answered Ha-Jin, “She’s encouraging me to go out but I don’t know where to go. So, I guess it’s just a staycation for me.”

“I wish I could bring you along my family trip,” said Si Eun, “But the car is already packed.”

“Ah Si Eunah, don’t let me in your family’s holiday weekend,” said Ha-Jin, “I’ll be fine, really. Maybe Mom and I can just watch re-runs of Descendants of the Sun or something.” She went back to the window and stared at the beautiful snow.

“It’ll be great,” she said.

--

“It won’t be great,” whined Ha-Jin as she buried her head under her arms, leaving Ki-Joo and Ji-Woo confused.

“What’s wrong noona?” asked Ji-Woo, “I thought you already had your holiday plans.”

Ha-Jin shook her head as she speared her waffle and took a frustrated bite. “My mom cancelled out on me. She’s going to visit one of her friends in Busan instead,” she said, “My mother is ditching me on a holiday weekend, can you believe that?”

“Why is she choosing her friends over you?”

“Because it’s that friend’s first time in Korea so Mom has to play tour guide. God, you’d think she doesn’t have asthma and a daughter,” complained Ha-Jin, “Maybe I need to be comatosed again for her to notice.”

“Don’t say stuff like that noona,” reprimanded Ji-Woo who was busy cleaning the countertop while Ki-Joo served their customers, “I’m sure it can’t be that bad.”

“I can’t believe I’m spending the holidays alone,” she said, “Mom should bring something good from Busan or else.”

“Hey noona, if you’re not planning anything, can I interest you in an offer?” asked Ki-Joo, finishing up his sale. He gave his customer their change with a pleasant smile then approached the disgruntled Ha-Jin. Ji-Woo looked curiously at him, then exclaimed out of nowhere.

“Ahhhh! Why don’t you ask her?” he said, shaking Ki-Joo’s arm wildly, “She might say yes!”

“I was about to, you idiot!” said Ki-Joo, pinching Ji-Woo’s arm.

“What’s that?” asked Ha-Jin, “This better not be drug trade or something. I don’t want to spend my Christmas in jail with a bunch of college students.”

“No, it’s not! What kind of person do you think I am?” ask an affronted Tenth Prince (Ki-Joo! God, you’ve been mixing them up). Ha-Jin laughed at his expression and chided him to continue with his offer.

“Okay, what is it?”

He leaned towards her. “My parents are out for the holidays as well, but it’s for business. Since they can’t bring me to Germany with them, they gave me the keys to their penthouse at the Grove Residences at Incheon,” said Ki-Joo, “It’s got everything: pools, billiards, buffets, nature trails—everything! And the best part is they allowed me to invite friends.”

“He invited me to come with him,” added Ji-Woo, “I asked my mom if I could come and they said yes. It’s okay since she’ll be busy entertaining my cousin's fiancée.”

 She looked at the two boys, their giddy faces telling her the next plan.

“So…are you asking me if I want to come?”

“Well…if you want to,” said Ki-Joo, “After all, it’s free everything. And the Residences also has functions and celebrations we can attend.”

“We’ll drive up there!” exclaimed an excited Ji-Woo, “What say you, noona? Wanna go on a road trip with your favorite baristas?”

“In case you’re worrying about rooms, don’t worry,” added Ki-Joo, “You’ll have your own room! But when we have to celebrate, you’ll have to meet me and Ji-Woo at the conjoined living room and kitchen!”

Ha-Jin thought about it. The weekend was going to be bleak since her mother was going to Busan. Chae-rin was going home to her family, so that makes that apartment not an option. It was Christmas anyway and she knew she deserved a good break—even if it was in the presence of two lovable weirdos.

Plus, free everything.

“I guess you two would need adult supervision,” she finally said, “All right. Count me in.”

“Hooray!” exclaimed Ji-Woo, “Oh my god, this is going to be fun. We’re going to have one hell of a Christmas party!”

She giggled as the dongsaengs danced around, rejoicing over the fact that their favorite noona is coming to their holiday weekend. Ha-Jin’s bleak Christmas regained some light and spark; her excitement came back. She could finally watch the snow with her favorite Princes.

--

 

“Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said this place was really fancy,” said Ji-Woo. Ha-Jin couldn’t blame the dongsaeng for looking at the place with his jaws dropped. She could barely contain her amazement as well.

Incheon’s The Grove Residences was the perfect haven for the rich who wished to get away from the city vibes. Everything about it screamed fancy; from the courtyard to the concierge and even the steps were more polished than she was. Anyone who owns even the smallest room should at least have a tiny mountain of fortune.

“I told you so,” said Ki-Joo, “This is too fancy for my standards but the parents wanted it and we get to have it for the holidays so, no complains here!”

Bell boys walked behind them, towing the trio’s bags and other carry-ons. Ha-Jin felt like a princess when they opened the door for her and offered to carry their bags. Ki-Joo talked them with a regal air that made her think he wasn’t just rich—he was filthy rich.

And yet he worked as a barista whenever he could.

“The spa is over there,” he pointed, “And if you want to work out, the gym is on the seventh floor. But who wants that right? We could just pig out at the buffet.”

“That’s true,” agreed Ji-Woo, “Hey noona, are you having fun yet?”

“Barely but everything is so fancy,” she said, gazing at the polished beams, “Are we almost to the penthouse?”

“We’ll have to take the elevator again but the woman at the lobby has to get my key first,” answered Ki-Joo, “Let’s wait over there by the lounge. I’ll just call her to meet us there.”

The trio settled in a mini-lounge where only a handful of people stayed. Jazzy music from the nearby pianist completed the comfortable atmosphere. Ha-Jin sat on one of the posh chairs, trying to be prim and proper. She felt like she had to sit straight and maintain good posture to be worthy of the chairs.

“I want to try the nature trails,” she told Ki-Joo, “Can I?”

“Hmmm I dunno noona,” he answered, “The snow is fairly thick outside. I don’t think they’ll allow walking through it. Let’s see though.”

“I just want to sleep, eat, and eat some more!” yawned Ji-Woo, stretching his arms, “Then we can light a cake and eat and eat.”

Ha-Jin laughed, bopping the dongsaeng’s head. “Yah Ji-Woosshi, I don’t know how you maintain that good figure despite eating so much,” she said. He winked at her adorably.

“I’m cool like that,”

“Wow, look at this big head over here,” complained Ki-Joo, “Maybe I shouldn’t have brought you here.”

“Hey, I’m the one you should thank. I got you that job so you could see that girl who will never be your girlfriend,”

“Why you--?!”

She watched the dongsaengs fondly, remembering the 14th and the Tenth Prince. It was nice to see them reunited in this life, minus the stresses of the palace.

“Ha-Jinah!” cried a familiar voice.

Ha-Jin turned around and saw an excited Tae-Won running towards her.

“Tae-Won?”

His hair was all over his face, cheeks flustered from the cold. But his eyes were wide with excitement as he hugged her all off a sudden. They hadn’t seen each other for two weeks since Ha-Jin didn’t have any business at the Hwang Cooperation.

“You’re here for the holidays too?” he asked, then he looked behind her, “The boys are here too!”

“Hyung, you’re on vacation too?” asked Ji-Woo. Tae-Won nodded and released Ha-Jin from his hug and high-fived with the dongsaengs.

“That’s so cool,” said Ki-Joo, “We’ll get to see you around!”

“I know, right?” said an excited Tae-Won, smiling at Ha-Jin, “It’s very fortunate that my family chose to spend Christmas here at The Grove.”

She felt her smile freezing. “Your…family?”

As if on cue, a group of people appeared behind Tae-Won. She peeked behind his broad shoulders and suppressed a tiny squeak.

Hwang Kwang-Soo was accompanied by his wife and they were in deep conversation about something. Right behind them, Il-Sung kept a firm grasp around Nari’s shoulder (Ha-Jin gulped at the sight of her), mimicking the older couple by also being in close talks. And trailing behind them was no other than Jae-Yeong himself.

She hadn’t seen him in two weeks too. After that encounter in her apartment, she didn’t hear from him at all. The news reports, however, were enough to fill her in with his comings and goings. He had just sealed a deal with an American investor, which meant he had to fly again to see them.

His white coat perfectly complemented his dark skin as he texted busily.

“Yes, we rarely get to spend the holidays together,” answered Tae-Won, reminding Ha-Jin of his presence, “Father decided that we should have a proper Christmas this year. Jae-Yeong hyung almost bailed out but Father convinced him to come.”

The Hwang family stopped by the elevator. Ha-Jin felt the butterflies in her stomach make an unwanted appearance. She saw Hwang Kwang-Soo cast a glance at his youngest son, which notified him of the trio’s presence, especially Ha-Jin.

“Father, look at who I ran into!”

“Ah, well if it isn’t Miss Go Ha-Jin of iSOi cosmetics,” he said happily. At the sound of his voice, the entire family looked at Ha-Jin and her friends—their reactions mixed.

Nari, of course, was caught between shock and annoyance, which she concealed immediately with a blank look on her face. Unlike her fiancée, Il-Sung acknowledged her presence but looked bored. Mrs. Hwang pleasantly smiled at her (which was new for her since her past incarnate was always either angry or crazy).

Jae-Yeong looked up from his phone; Ha-Jin saw the surprise register in his eyes. He didn’t smile or anything, but as usual, he just stared at her.

“Hello,” she greeted, bowing at the family, “It’s a pleasure to see you all.”

“They’re spending Christmas here too,” said Tae-Won.

“Ah, that’s wonderful,” said Hwang Kwang Soo, “And who are your friends behind you?”

The dongsaengs huddled behind her; she noticed Ji-Woo shyly hovering behind Ki-Joo, who seemed to know the family but was also shy to acknowledge them.

“These are my friends, Lee Ji-Woo,” she introduced, “And Choi Ki-Joo.”

Both boys paid their respectful hellos and bowed. Hwang Kwang Soo was looking at Ki-Joo then he glanced at his wife.

“Choi Ki-Joo,” he repeated.

Mrs. Shin-Hye looked at Ki-Joo thoughtfully, “Aren’t you the son of Choi Bo-Soon?” she asked, “The proprieter of freights?”

“Ah yes I am,” answered Ki-Joo, “My parents speak highly of your family.”

“Where are they?”

“At a business trip in Germany,” he replied, “They’ll be back next year. “

It was odd to see the bubbly and boyish Ki-Joo transform into a respectable young man with manners. Ha-Jin suppressed a laugh, trying to maintain her composure despite the sight of him.

“You’ve grown in to a fine young man, then,” complimented Kwang-Soo, “Tell your parents I would love to meet with them soon. Park Ji-Hyun is getting impatient with your father, you tell him that.”

“Yes sir,” answered Ki-Joo, “Would relay the message.”

Hwang Kwang-Soo nodded and looked at Ha-Jin, “It’s nice running into everyone,” he said, “Hopefully, we’ll run into each other often this holiday weekend. We’d love to chat but we must go ahead. Come along,” he told his family. Mrs. Shin-Hye nodded graciously at them. “We’ll see you around.”

The elevator opened and one by one, the Hwang family followed their Father. Tae-Won giddily smiled at Ha-Jin again.

“I’ll see you, right?” he asked.

“Of course,”

He then ran to the front of the group to support his father. Hwang Il-Sung merely nodded at her presence while his fiancée tried to hide her look of contempt.

Ha-Jin thought Jae-Yeong was back to his usual snobby self as he walked past them, not even bothering to say anything. But once he stepped into the elevator, she saw the corner of his lips twitch into a subtle smile.

Hello, he mouthed, then the elevator closed.

Her cheeks warmed up; she was sure they were red and not because of the cold.

A woman finally approached Ki-Joo and handed him the key card. They all stood up and proceeded to the elevator, the two boys busy discussing the people they ran in to. As Ki-Joo explained who was who to Ji-Woo, Ha-Jin felt the butterflies once again.

This wouldn’t be a regular Christmas weekend after all.

--

The penthouse was too spacious for Ha-Jin’s liking. When they got in three hours ago, she couldn’t help but feel dizzy at the big area. An excited Ji-Woo ran around the living room and kitchen while Ki-Joo checked the pantry to see if the maid stocked enough food. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, was too astounded she just sat on the couch.

She expected the boys to run around more but three hours later, they were still asleep and dead to the world.

She was staring at the snow from the balcony. It looked like a good time to enjoy the scenery alone. Besides, Ki-Joo said they were free to do anything as long as they have a fancy dinner tonight at the restaurant. Since both boys were sound asleep, Ha-Jin figured she might as well escape.

She tucked her scarf and adjusted her coat as she opened the Residence’s right wing door. The wind kissed her cheeks, instantly turning them pink.

The beautiful backyard must be colorful on any spring month, but that day it was covered with a fluffy blanket of snow. There were only a few people walking around the spacious gardens; Ha-Jin figured they would rather rest and enjoy the cold weather. She, on the other hand, would not miss walking out alone.

Her boots dug into the deep snow. It gave her a pleasant feeling, remembering those times with her father. She walked towards the bushes, touching the thistles whenever she can.

“Aha, I knew I’d find you here!”

The voice behind her startled Ha-Jin, causing her to almost fall face first; but a warm gloved hand reached for her arm just in time and spun her around. She bumped into the voice’s chest. When she looked up, she saw the concerned face of Hwang Tae-Won.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry,” he apologized, “Are you alright?”

She was still in shock, staring at him with her wide eyes. Ha-Jin then realized that he held her arms tightly and their faces were too close for comfort.

“I…I’m fine!” she exclaimed, suddenly pulling away from him, “You surprised me.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were easily surprised,” he said, adjusting his blue winter coat, “Will never do that again.”

He looked really adorable in his blue coat with fake fur trims. His chiseled cheeks were lighter compared to the rest of his tanned face as the wind blew.

“Are you following me?” joked Ha-Jin, brushing off the snow form her arms.

“What makes you think I’m following you?” he asked, an eyebrow arched mockingly.

She crossed her arms and gazed up at him. “You often show up from nowhere,” she accused, “Just right now, you’re here!”

Tae-Won’s mockingly affronted expression transformed into a teasing smile. Ha-Jin was dazed for a moment. He had the same beautiful smile Wang Wook had, which was enough to make her feel all right with the world.

“Well, what if I am following you? What’s that to you?” he asked.

She knew he was just teasing but sometimes, Ha-Jin could sense there was something more behind his words. Tempting as it was, she didn’t want to address it. Instead of answering, she just stuck her tongue at him and laughed.

“C’mon,” he said, “Let’s take a walk.”

The greenery was covered with fluffy blankets of snow but Ha-Jin still enjoyed the scenery. Despite the deep snow, Ha-Jin and Tae-Won managed to walk around (albeit in a wobbly manner). She listened to him as he recounted the funny car ride before his family arrived at the Residences. He was walking ahead of her, but she still heard every detail.

“…I think that’s the last time Mother’s going to pee in a public gas station,” he capped off, “She’s fancy like that.”

“Obviously, your mother is of high society,” commented Ha-Jin, “She should never use public restrooms. I think no one should, actually.”

They entered a secluded spot with an arch for an entrance. Ha-Jin imagined the beautiful colors it would usually have on a sunny day; but for that moment, it was a Winter Wonderland.

“It’s always beautiful here this time of the year,” began Tae-Won, “When we were little, our family used to go here every Christmas. Mother and Father would prepare a great feast for us in our room while us brothers fought over who got to blow the candle. Jae-Yeong hyung would always let either Il-Sung hyung or me win. But sometimes, he got his turn.”

“So, you’ve always been here?”

“Up until we got into high school,” he answered, “We never failed to spend Christmas here. It was the best time of the year because Father and Mother got to spend more time with us. My  hyungs and I would go around and throw snowballs. Sometimes, we’d explore the woods and see if we could find that hideaway cabin.”

She could hear that wistful smile on his face.

“They were good times,” he said, “Good times.

“Where’s the rest of your family?” she asked.

Tae-Won shrugged. “It’s funny that we’re out here for a family trip but everyone’s doing their own thing,” he answered, “As usual, Father’s on his phone and Mother’s out at the spa with Nari—in-law dates, I suppose. Il-Sung hyung is trying to seal a deal with a businessman he just met at the café. And Jae-Yeong hyung…I don’t know where he is.”

There was a hint of sadness in his voice. Ha-Jin’s heart went out to him; she always saw him as the only unifying member of the Hwang family. Based on the other stories he told her, she knew that he wanted his old family back—just as much as Ji-Hyun.

She wanted to touch his shoulder and comfort him. But her foot slipped on the deep snow.

“Ah!”

Tae-Won managed to catch her arm just in time before she fell.

The act was enough to bring front another memory—of Hae Soo falling and being saved by the Eighth Prince. She found herself staring at him with the same intensity as he did to her. She had been too focused on hoping her Fourth Prince remember, it never occurred to her that maybe he wasn’t the only who was supposed to recall.

“My, Ha-Jinah,” remarked Tae-Won, “You keep stumbling over the place.”

“I’m sorry,” she apologized, pulling her arm away again, “I guess I’m clumsy like that.”

He shook his head and laughed. “C’mon, let’s keep walking. We have a lot to talk about,” he said and began walking ahead of her. She watched him as he threaded the path, thinking about her recent realization.

Maybe, the Fourth Prince wasn’t the only one who needed to remember.

They spent the next hour walking around and enjoying the view while swapping stories. Ha-Jin hadn’t realized an hour had passed until she checked her phone. They had just finished laughing at her story of getting stuck in the girl’s bathroom during high school.

“God that must’ve been embarrassing,” commented Tae-Won.

“Stop laughing! Of course it was,”

They had finally returned to their original start.

“Wow, we should have more of these,” said Tae-Won, “Apart from burning fat by walking, we get to make fun of each other. I like it.”

“You like it cause you think I’m a loser,”

“Doesn’t help that your stories do make you sound like one,”

“Hey!”

She bumped her fist on her chest. Tae-Won tried to avoid it but ended up holding her hand and teasing her. She tried to wriggle free but he stuck his tongue at her.

“Tae-wonah,” said another voice, startling Tae-Won and Ha-Jin, “There you are.”

Jae-Yeong stood by the entrance, hands behind him. He didn’t seem surprised at the sight of the two teasing each other, but he was wearing of his infamous unreadable and serious expressions.

“Ah, hyung,” said the junior, “I was just walking around.”

“Obviously,” said the senior. There was an awkward pause between the three of them that made Ha-Jin sweat despite the cold weather. Jae-Yeong was just looking at them but she felt like she was caught in trouble.

“Father wants to see you,” said Jae-Yeong, “Come on.”

“Ah…is that so?” asked Tae-Won. He then turned to Ha-Jin and flashed an apologetic smile, “Ha-Jinah, we had a nice walk today. I’ll try not to follow you as much…but you know.” He patted her on the head and went ahead of his hyung.

Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, stayed for a second. She couldn’t read that expression on his face. Was it contempt? Frustration? Sadness? Or was he being a snob all over again?

He just looked at her then walked away, leaving her confused as always.

In her past life, they might have had relations but that wasn’t the news today. Ha-Jin knew well that they didn’t have anything.

So, why did she feel guilty?

--

 

“Here’s a toast to a wonderful Christmas with my good and rich friend Ki-Joo and the super pretty noona, Ha-Jin!” announced Ji-Woo, “Cheers!”

The trio clinked their wine glasses, laughing as they did.

“But seriously noona, you look extra pretty tonight,” complimented Ji-Woo, “The dress looks amazing.”

“Really? I thought it was too simple,” asked Ha-Jin, looking down at her white turtle-neck and sleeveless dress. When Ki-Joo told her they should dress fancy for Christmas Eve, she scrounged her closet for anything remotely glamorous. The dress she wore was sponsored by Chae-rin while her sparkling dangling earrings were from Si Eun. She topped of the attire by pulling her hair back in a sleek ponytail.

“Not really,” said Ki-Joo after sipping his champagne, “You look very beautiful. Maybe that’s just your personal trait.”

“Yah, normally pretty noona has the power to make anything pretty because she’s pretty like that,”

“Ahh Ji-Woo’s trying to amaze you again, noona,” teased Ki-Joo, “Don’t fall for his bait.”

“I wasn’t!”

“Hey, hey, no fighting,” reprimanded Ha-Jin, “It’s Christmas Eve and we should all celebrate!”

“Noona’s right, we can fight tomorrow anyway,”

The Grove’s restaurant was buzzed with people that night. The gentle know became a mild blizzard outside but everyone was warm inside the Residences.

 Most of the guests flocked to the tables, spending their eve with family, friends, and loved ones. Waiters flitted from one table to another, serving champagne and other drinks. People also lined up at the buffet table, sampling the finest delicacies Incheon has to offer.

Ha-Jin was already enjoying her Greek salad and hoped to get more of that roast beef. But she didn’t want the boys to think she was that hungry.

“I called my parents an hour ago. They said they’re bringing home German beer for us to drink when they get back,” said Ki-Joo.

“Why don’t you look too impressed?”

“Because Father has too much beer stocked in the fridge. It’s not a pretty sight,” explained Ki-Joo, “If people went to our house and saw our refrigerator, they’d think I’m the drunkard since he’s supposed to watch his alcohol. I dunno how Mother lets him get away with it.”

“I can’t complain though. Your parents gave us their place to stay for the holidays,” said Ji-Woo, “Tell them I am forever grateful.”

“So am I,” added Ha-Jin, “This is one of the best Christmases I have ever had. I love spending time with my favorite dongsaengs.”

“Aw noona,”

“You’re just saying that cause you’re eating expensive steak,”

The trio laughed over the noise of simultaneous chatting and the piano playing. Ha-Jin took another bite of her salad and sighed contentedly.

“So, noona. I have a question,” said Ki-Joo.

“What’s that?”

She noticed a mischievous gleam in his eye. He hesitated at first but then edged closer to her.

“Are you and Hwang Tae-Won dating?”

Ha-Jin almost choked on her wine as she shook her head. “No, no,” she said, “I mean…no we’re not dating. We’re just friends.”

“I told her before! I told her that Tae-Won had a crush on her!” accused Ji-Woo, “But she wouldn’t believe me. Now, it’s too obvious.”

“He doesn’t like me,”

“Yes he does. God, the way he hugged you, he was too giddy for someone who doesn’t like you,”

The two dongsaengs ganged up on her, interrogating with such flare. They were really curious about Tae-Won and she couldn’t blame them. Because if she was going to be honest, she was unsure of him as well.

“Ah, you two, speaking nonsense,” she said, “Now I’ve got a little stain of wine on my dress! I’ll have to go to the washroom.”

“Noona, you can’t escape us forever!” taunted Ki-Joo as Ha-Jin got up and proceeded to the nearest washroom. She walked through the balcony, which reflected the wonderful view outside despite the small blizzard.

As she washed her hands, Ha-Jin couldn’t help but think about the boys’ suggestion about Tae-Won.

He had been really nice to her and she was one of his first friends in the company. His warm and friendly personality was something anyone couldn’t resist—especially since it’s a stark contrast to Jae-Yeong’s aloof and sarcastic persona. And he also said things that made her think twice.

“You are definitely worth my time.”

“I want to get to know your better.”

“Well, what if I am following you? What’s that to you?”

She didn’t know if he was serious or if his words had double meanings. Ha-Jin was hoping they didn’t, but she couldn’t deny the want to know as well. The butterflies in her stomach made a comeback as she worried.

Was it possible she was hoping for the wrong person to remember?

Jae-Yeong’s face, however, returned to the front of her mind as well.

Ha-Jin, don’t think of these things right now. It’s Christmas, she told herself, You deserve a break and an extra glass of wine. Don’t think about anyone right now…just you and the boys.

She took a deep breath and looked at the mirror.

“Hwaiting!” she cheered.

She exited the bathroom with a new spirit. Ha-Jin decided she wasn’t going to allow any matter distract her from the festivities. It’s been a year of turmoil, accidents, and past lives—it’s time for some rest.

“…don’t think I don’t know what you’re trying to do,”

Nari’s familiar voice stopped Ha-Jin in her tracks.

She almost ran in to an elegantly dressed Nari (whose back was facing her) who was busy confronting a dapper-looking Jae-Yeong. They were the only people (apart from Ha-Jin) in the deserted balcony. Based on their expressions, things weren’t going well.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” dismissed Jae-Yeong.

“That girl…that makeup specialist,” she said, “You’re using her to get to me. I know you are.”

Jae-Yeong didn’t speak. He was just glaring unpleasantly at Nari.

“You would never waste your time on a girl like that,” she continued, “But here you are, prancing with her every now and then. Didn’t you think I’d notice?”

“Why are you being like this?”

“Why are you being like this?!”

Their argument was in low-voices but Ha-Jin could feel the intensity; anyone could hear them. But she had too many thoughts distracting her.

“You don’t have a right to do this to me,” replied Jae-Yeong.

“Don’t you think I don’t regret?” she asked, “Il-Sung will never be as better as you.”

“But you’re with him already, what more could you want?”

“I don’t want any girl surrounding you at all, that’s what I want!” exploded Nari, “Not that makeup specialist, not anyone because you’re the one that I want.”

Her hands then reached out for his face and pulled him in for a kiss.

Time stopped for Ha-Jin. Everything inside of her went cold, as if there was a Pause button whacked severely by her immune system. She couldn’t move; she couldn’t think. All she could do was just stare at them.

Her hand dropped the bag, resulting in a loud noise that echoed in the balcony and alerting Jae-Yeong and Nari of her presence.

They were both surprised at the sight of her, but Nari’s face transformed into contempt once again. Jae-Yeong, however…

“Ha-Jinah,” he said, his voice in shock.

Ha-Jin’s breathing started to draw short. There were too many feelings but one stood out above the rest and it wasn’t pleasant. She could feel her chest tightening.

“I…I’m sorry,” she said.

She had to get out of there.

She ran as soon as Jae-Yeong called out for her, her tears trailing behind.

 

--

 

A/N: I feel as if Scarlet Heart Ryeo doesn’t gain much recognition as it should. People often brush it off, saying that it’s not much of a good drama. I personally campaign SHR, recommending it to anyone who says they’re doing a drama marathon. I know tragedies aren’t the best, but this one re-awakened my love for Korean dramas. I wish SHR gets the love it deserves. That’s why we exist.

Part 2 is coming soon. Just give me some time to think. And tell me that you trust me.

See you tomorrow. :) Hopefully