Triggered

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

Chapter banner by mrs_shawty. Get your banners from her here.


 

“Who is the Fourth Prince?”

Jae-Yeong stood by the nurse’s clinic, rubbing his still sore arm. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, was at a loss for words, still holding her hand phone, and hearing the presenter’s voice calling out to her.

Jae-Yeong stared at the phone, then at her shocked face.

“Ha-Jinah, are you okay?”

“Ha-Jinah? Ha-Jinah, are you still there?”

Jae-Yeong peeked at the phone.

“Who are you talking to?”

Immediately, she shut the phone and composed herself.

“Ah, I was just…asking Ji-Hyun-nim, no, talking to him,” she lied, “He said he found something about the Goryeo era that might interest me.” Ha-Jin immediately stuffed her phone and cold hands inside her coat pockets, hoping Ji-Hyun wouldn’t resent her for hanging up and Jae-Yeong wouldn’t sense her lie

“Is that so?” he asked, “Why did you hang up on him?”

“I…I wanted to know how you’re doing,” she said, approaching him, “How’s your arm? Is it a strain?”

He immediately forgot about the phone call as his face shifted expressions. Jae-Yeong seemed confused as he touched his arm.

“This is weird, but the nurse couldn’t explain it either,” he told her, “She just said it might be fatigue or something. Man, I might be too stressed out, I’m having random muscle sprains. That’s not good.”

He was still clutching that sore spot.

“Does it still hurt?”

“Yeah. I know the nurse said it’s muscle sprain, but to be honest, the pain is so much more,” he said, wincing as he did, “I feel like I was shot.”

He cringed violently again, causing him to stumble. Ha-Jin caught him right on time, her hand automatically hugging his back. Jae-Yeong held unto her shoulder for support as he took a deep breath.

“We should get going,” she told him, “You need rest.”

“I think so too,” he said, “God, what is it with this day?”

As Ha-Jin supported a wobbly Jae-Yeong out of the Estate, her mind could not get over the fact that his physical manifestations begun. She wanted to bring him home immediately and get to studying. She hadn’t done it for a long time, but she needed the answers again.

This was no joke anymore.

--

“Ah noona, are you secretly a student by night or something?”

Ji-Woo looked at her with astonishment, his eyes taking in the stack of books she brought to the table. Apart from the books, she also had a journal and some notes.

“Just doing a hobby, Ji-Woo,” she said, writing furiously on her notebook. The dongsaeng was rubbing a glass with a towel, but he still couldn’t take his eyes off her.

“You know, Ki-Joo took the day off because he wanted to take some dancing lessons,” he informed her, “Park Hanna’s going to this special birthday celebration and he’s invited too. So, he’s taking dancing to heart right now to impress her.”

“Why? Is it a dancing party?”

“There might be ballroom dancing so, he wanted to make a good impression.”

“Good for him.”

Ji-Woo sensed that his noona was too busy, so he took the time to check out the books she was reading. He read the words past life, reincarnation, Goryeo, and history of… one too many times. The dongsaeng looked at his noona again.

“Wow, you’re doing research on past lives,” he remarked, “I’ve always wanted to know what I was before all of this.”

“What do you think you were?”

Ji-Woo pouted as he thought about it.

“A general, that would’ve been so cool,” he said as he placed the glass back on the rack and attended to a customer, leaving Ha-Jin wistful. She gazed at the dongsaeng’s back, picturing him in the armor the 14th Prince wore so well.

But her studies called her attention back.

A day after her trip to the Estate with Jae-Yeong, Ha-Jin visited Ji-Hyun to relay the day’s events. The presenter was gracious in lending her some books she could study, as well as some information regarding reincarnation—ones that she’d find helpful. As much as he wanted to help, his duty to the company and his daughter called for his attention, leaving Ha-Jin to do the dirty work. But he did offer useful pieces of data.

So far, Ha-Jin did a recap of reincarnation—the signs an individual has lived before. So far, she and Jae-Yeong hit the mark, the latter was just unaware. One of Ji-Hyun’s books offered an explanation:

“Two identities, who are dwelling within two different physical bodies in the present, or in the past, will be two very distinct personalities. When a reincarnated soul fails to accept the past, rejection is the most imminent reason, especially if the self has lived a turbulent first life. It no longer finds a reason to re-live memories.”

But another book reassured her:

“Although our identities and senses of self are ever-changing, there is something that remains the same.  There is something within us that is constant and continuous and that is pure awareness.”

The Fourth Prince was clearly trying to manifest himself through Jae-Yeong’s awareness; unlike Ha-Jin’s case, however, Jae-Yeong was unconsciously rejecting Wang So’s advances by the way he brushes it off and his disbelief in the spiritual realm. She wanted to learn more about the Soul who wants nothing to do with their previous life—but was she ready?

One of the most pressing questions, however, was the frequency of his past life’s manifestations.

When she first met him, she knew he had dreams about Goryeo; the paintings from the exhibition said so. He said he painted the images his brain told him to, meaning his past life has been chiding him ever since. But afterwards, it wasn’t just dreams.

There were memories and now, physical manifestations.

She scoured the books for an answer. Her fingers eagerly paced the pages of a book entitled Past Lives and Beyond: The Soul’s Second Search. Her eyes scanned the chapter entitled Triggers, hoping for some answers.

“…often raises awareness through memories that feel real or déjà vu. In most cases, these instances of past lives attempting to resurface occur due to triggers. A situation that bears uncanny resemblances to their past will immediately re-wire the Soul to remember fragments or the entire memory. Apart from circumstances, people or objects in the constant presence of the reincarnated soul may also play a part.”

Ha-Jin re-read the last line.

Come to think of it, it seems as if Jae-Yeong’s instances increased in frequency right after they first met—based on her observations. As they spent more time together, so did his Wang So tendencies.

“…people or objects…constant presence…”

She gasped.

It could be me.

It’s been almost a year since she remembered her life as Hae Soo. The ride hasn’t been easy and she too had been a victim of her past life’s manifestations. The difference was she slowly accepted the truth while he was clueless to it. His constant presence made the acceptance easy and difficult at the same time; but in Jae-Yeong’s case, she didn’t know if her presence made things even more complicated for him.

She no longer doubted he was Wang So—he was. The question was what was her purpose in his life now?

Ha-Jin knew that they had a choice to just leave Jae-Yeong alone, to let him be who is presently is. But if Wang So wishes to correct his mistakes through his reincarnated self, is it possible if Jae-Yeong refuses?

She did read somewhere that those extreme cases of rejection results in the individual experiencing “mental breakdowns,” especially when the triggers are too strong for them to handle. Symptoms include sleepless nights, moments of confusion and fear, and…breakdowns. This will continue until the soul comes into some sort of conclusion or rejects the other life all together—but with a cost.

The confused reincarnated soul won’t die—but breakdowns aren’t exactly pleasant. And she didn’t want to know what the cost was.

She needed a break.

“Ji-Woosshi, mind watching over my stuff?”

“Sure, noona. Do you want a refill too?”

“Yes, please!”

Ha-Jin smiled at her dongsaeng before leaving the café for some fresh air. The wind was chilly and made her shiver, but the Lord knew she needed it. She took a deep breath and exhaled, trying to calm down her senses.

Anyone would tell her she should just get over it. If Jae-Yeong doesn’t want to remember, then so be it.

But she knew that when fate wants things to happen, there’s no stopping it.

As she took another deep breath, she was interrupted by the presence of a stranger—one who walked straight up to her.

“Excuse me, you’re Go Ha-Jin right?”

“Who’s asking?”

The man, who looked like he was in his late forties, raised an identification card, which read Kim Sang-Hyuk of a local news station. Another journalist, in short.

“I was hoping for an interview,” he said.

“I’m not for ambush interviews.”

“A question then?”

“No.”

Another man approached her, this one came with a camera, a notebook, and an ID too.

“Ah Kim Sang Hyuk, I see you got the first scoop!”

“Gong Eun Tak, get away from here. This is my news.”

“But I don’t think Go Ha-Jin wants to talk to you,” said the reporter named Gong Eun Tak, “She must think you’re crappy news.” He then extended his hand towards her, “Hello Miss Ha-Jin, Go Eun Tak from Seoul Story. I’ll be the better reporter here.”

“You get out, Eun-Taksshi. I was here first,” insisted Kim Sang-Hyuk, “I assure you, Miss Ha-Jinah, my questions are just concerned with Hwang Jae-Yeong.”

“Well mine concerns the impact of Hwang Jae-Yeong and her reaction to the brother’s fight, how about that?”

“Ah, who do we have here?”

A third man, complete with a crew, approached the steps of the café. Ha-Jin recognized him from the local afternoon news.

“Boys, boys, let the professionals do the news!” he said, “Go Ha-Jin, I’m Lee Sun-Ji of Local News 7. We’re here to ask you about Hwang Jae-Yeong and Hwang Il-Sung’s disagreement on investing with Matsumoto Akihiro. Has the young adopted heir said anything about his brother’s decision?”

The reporter then shoved a microphone at her.

“I don’t think I have to answer,” she told them, “I don’t do interviews.”

“But we are here for answers.”

“And am I required to answer them?”

“Go Ha-Jin, what do you think about your relationship with Hwang Jae-Yeong?” asked the other reporter.

“Hey, no butting in. She hasn’t answered mine yet!”

“Who cares? Miss Ha-Jin, do you think your relationship with Hwang Jae-Yeong will somehow impact the effectiveness of his business?”

“Miss Ha-Jin, are you ready to be part of the family?”

“What do you think of Hwang Il-Sung’s decision? Are you for or against it?”

They kept asking her questions, most of those questions she didn’t even have an answer for. She kept rejecting them, insisting that she’s not for ambush interviews, but they wouldn’t let her go. Ha-Jin felt her heart rate pace up as the questions kept coming and they blocked her way. She knew this would happen.

“Go Ha-Jin, what do you think of—?”

“Will there be wedding bells soon?”

“Has his family met you?”

Oh my god, make it stop.

 

“HEY!”

 

The questions stopped at the sound of Ji-Woo’s deep voice. Ha-Jin looked up and saw the dongsaeng looking so furious, pointing his mop at the reporters.

“Stay away from her,” he told them, “This establishment is not for nosy reporters!”

“Calm down kid, we’re just here for answers.”

“Then go see a shrink for answers, not a café!”

“Step aside, kid. This is a talk for the grownups.”

“You step aside,” he told them, pulling Ha-Jin behind him and pointing his mop at them, “My boss is not a big fan of nosy reporters. If you don’t leave now, I’m calling the cops.”

“But—“

“NOW!”

His voice was booming for an 18-year old; it startled the reporters. Ji-Woo glared at them, pointing his mop as if it were a sword. The reporters tried their best to reason with him and get past him, but he waved his mop, scaring them again. Without another word, he pulled Ha-Jin inside the shop and locked the door, startling the very few customers, who were curious to the commotion outside.

“Uhm…please wait for a few minutes for them to leave before you leave,” Ji-Woo told the customers, “We’re sorry for the inconvenience!” he then bowed to them and led Ha-Jin back to the counter.

He ushered her back to her chair. Ha-Jin nearly fell as she tried to sit, clearly shaken from the ambush. She tucked her stray locks as Ji-Woo pushed a cup of hot cocoa.

“Are you okay, noona?” he asked, “Have some hot chocolate. You look shaken.”

She gratefully accepted the cup; the warmth immediately comforting her cold fingers. This wasn’t the first time she was hounded by reporters; this was, however, the most intense. Over the past weeks, she’s gotten tons of email and phone calls but she’s always ignored them. She never said a word to Jae-Yeong, out of fear that she’ll only burden him.

“Those stupid reporters; I don’t know how you deal with that, noona,” remarked the dongsaeng, “Do you meet those people every day?”

“Every other day. And I don’t always meet them. They just appear out of nowhere.”

“Really? Insane!” said Ji-Woo, “Why isn’t Jae-Yeong hyung doing anything about it? Shouldn’t he stop them? Why don’t you text him?”

“No, I don’t want to.”

“Why not?”

She bit her lip.

“I don’t want to burden him.”

“But he should know about this!”

“Ji-Woo,” she began, holding the dongsaeng’s arm, “He’s already got a lot of crap to deal with. I don’t want to add myself to that burden. He might just explode. Please, trust your noona. As long as I’ve got you and your mop, I know it’s going to be okay.”

She smiled at him, hoping to reassure the worrying dongsaeng. They both looked outside and saw that the reporters had finally dispersed, but she knew she wouldn’t hear the end from them. This is life, right now.

Her thoughts were disrupted when her phone rang.

“Hello?” she answered, “Ah, Ji-Hyun-nim. What is it?”

Her face then fell.

“He what?”

--

 

“…and he insisted that he wanted to come here at this time of the night,” Ji-Hyun was explaining, “When the management said they were close, he raised his voice at the manager, demanding that they keep it open for at least an hour. From what I know, he’s been here for more than two hours already.”

“You haven’t seen him?”

“I just received word an hour ago from the museum’s management. I’ve already told them to ensure no one hears about this,” he told her, rushing up the steps, “This press could make a spectacle out of it.”

It’s been months since Ha-Jin visited the museum to satisfy her longing for Goryeo; also months since she bought Jae-Yeong with the hopes that it can juggle something. She remembered feeling hopeless when he brushed them off.

But what was he doing here now?

“Where was he before this?” she asked.

“He was at a business meeting with investors. They were fascinated with iSOi’s Goryeo line and wanted to know how they can benefit by investing,” explained Ji-Hyun, “After an hour though, he just excused himself and ran off. The secretary told me it was the oddest thing.”

A security guard approached them, asking why they were entering the museum.

“I’m here to pick up my ward,” said Ji-Hyun, “Now, if you want to close the museum, I suggest you let me and this young woman in.”

The guard was rendered speechless as Ji-Hyun led Ha-Jin inside towards the Goryeo exhibit of the museum. It was quiet since almost everyone was gone—

Except for Jae-Yeong who sat in the middle.

Ha-Jin stopped at the sight of him.

Still donning his suit and tie getup, Jae-Yeong rigidly sat on one of the benches. He was staring blankly above him, not saying a word or anything. When they approached him, Ha-Jin saw that he was gazing intently at the portrait of Emperor Gwangjong. His phone was ringing hopelessly beside him, but he paid no mind.

He was just staring.

“Jae-Yeongah?” asked Ji-Hyun tentatively, reaching out for the junior’s shoulder, “We’re here.”

Jae-Yeong didn’t respond; his eyes were still glassy, as if he were in a trance.

“Jae-Yeongah?

Still no response.

Ha-Jin stepped in.

“Hwang Jae-Yeong,” she said.

It was then he snapped out.

Jae-Yeong seemed startled as his eye blinked rapidly. He took in some air before looking around, clearly confused with his surroundings. He looked at the portraits, then at the relics. Eventually, he saw Ha-Jin and Ji-Hyun standing over him.

“What…what are you doing here?” he asked them.

“We wanted to ask you the same question,” said presenter Ji-Hyun.

Jae-Yeong was surprised with their query; his eyes manically looked at his surroundings again.

“What am I doing here?” he asked.

Ha-Jin and Ji-Hyun were stunned with his response.

“What do you mean?”

“How did…how did I end up here?” he asked again.

“You left the meeting at the office and drove here, apparently,” explained Ji-Hyun, “Secretary Kim said you abruptly ended the meeting without reason. The next thing they knew, you left. The museum’s manager managed to get a hold of my number, telling me that you insisted they open the museum and let you in.”

“I did?”

Jae-Yeong looked very much confused as he tried to rack his brains for the memory. It was obvious that he couldn’t remember, but couldn’t deny where he was right now.

“I remember the meeting,” he told them, “But…after that, I…I don’t know anymore.”

He stood up slowly, taking in his surroundings again. Ha-Jin watched him, trying to make sense of his actions. She was sure his past life was trying to make itself known again; why else would he end up in front of his own portrait?

“Do you seriously not remember going here?” asked Ji-Hyun.

Jae-Yeong flashed him a look. “I…don’t,” he answered, “But…I do remember just wanting go here.”

He looked at the portrait again; then, he suddenly cried out in pain.

“Jae-Yeongah!”

Ha-Jin immediately grabbed him by the shoulders as he wrenched in her arms. Ji-Hyun supported the lower half of his body, hoping to subdue the kicking and screaming. Jae-Yeong’s hands gripped his head, trying to stop some sort of pain.

“Ji-Hyun-nim, call an ambulance, hurry!”

“No, no, no!” yelled Jae-Yeong, “I…don’t want to draw attention.”

“But you’re hurting!”

“No!” he exclaimed, “Just…bring…me…home.”

He winced in pain again as Ji-Hyun called for his driver to pick them up at the museum’s front entrance. A security guard entered the scene, helping Ji-Hyun pick up a tormented Jae-Yeong from the floor, leaving Ha-Jin all flustered and worried. Together, they all rushed to the front steps, where the presenter’s car waited.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” he yelled at his driver, “OPEN THE DOOR!”

His driver jumped out from the front seat and quickly opened the door at the back as the guard placed Jae-Yeong inside. Ha-Jin used the other door to support Jae-Yeong’s head as Ji-Hyun and the guard assisted him. He kept wincing in pain, holding his head, groaning about the excruciating sensation. His breathing was becoming labored by the second. Ha-Jin pulled his head on her lap, caressing his head, hoping to offer some comfort.  

“Are you sure you don’t want to go to the doctor?” she asked him.

“No…no,” he said; his hand touched her wrists, “I just…want to go home.”

He looked at her.

“Ha-Jinah…take me home.”

His voice was begging her to take heed of his request. Ji-Hyun had already gotten on the front seat, telling his driver to head on. She looked at them, then gazed back at Jae-Yeong, who had stopped screaming, but was clearly exhausted.

It’s been a strange turn of events.

What was happening?

 

--

 

Ha-Jin fidgeted as she sat on the couch of Jae-Yeong’s apartment; she was playing with her fingers, hoping to calm down. She had just put him to bed thirty minutes ago, feeding him twice the dosage of his meds to hopefully, help him sleep. She even took the time to tidy up his messy desk, as well as stack up the boxes of gifts from today’s investors.

Now, she was in his living room, waiting for Ji-Hyun who was just finishing a call.

“…Father might be a little late, sweetie,” he was saying, “Don’t forget to lock up, okay? I love you.”

He then hung up and stared worriedly at Ha-Jin.

“How is he?” he asked.

“He’s asleep. I tucked him in,” she answered, “I gave him his medicine, twice the dosage, plus milk so it can help him sleep better. He stopped having the headache, so he should feel fine.”

Ji-Hyun nodded and helped himself to the wine sitting on Jae-Yeong’s countertop. He poured himself a glass, all the while staring at Ha-Jin. She sensed he could probably tell what was running in her mind.

“What do you think?” he asked her.

She could only tell him the first thing on her mind.

“It’s getting stronger—the memories, I mean,” she said, “His previous incarnation is struggling with the present one; he’s still rejecting it, but he can’t fight it anymore. It’s getting too strong for him.”

“I can see that,” admitted the presenter, taking a sip, “He’s demonstrating the symptoms of a torn soul.”

“It’s the same thing with the archery range. And all the odd moments prior to that,” said Ha-Jin, “He’s remembering.”

Ji-Hyun nodded then set his glass aside.

“Why the frequency and severity, though?” he asked.

Ha-Jin hugged the pillow on the couch, remembering what she learned from the presenter’s haul of books.

“Triggers,” she answered, “His exposure to circumstances reminiscent of his past life causes the outburst of memories. I used to have them, still have them. It happens whenever I see something that reminds me of Goryeo.”

“In his case, it’s me.”

“But he wasn’t like this before when he first met you.”

“It’s probably because we are together,” she suggested, “What I don’t understand is why it’s affecting him more severely than it did with me. I mean, it hurts, but I don’t get into trances nor do I experience severe pain.”

Ji-Hyun sat at one of the chairs on the counter, trying to piece the evidences. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, attempted to make sense of the series of events. When she regained her memories, there were instances when the flashbacks would knock her out of her feet, but not as severe as Jae-Yeong’s. What was happening?

“His rejection,” answered the presenter, “He’s fighting it.”

Both of them stared at each other, feeling the sense of urgency. Ha-Jin knew that it wasn’t good news.

“If he keeps fighting it, so will the other part of him,” continued Ji-Hyun, “If your theory is right, your presence is triggering his past self to remember but the soul’s want to forget is equally strong; hence, the reactions.”

“So, it will keep getting worse?”

“Until one side wins…I don’t think Jae-Yeong will be enjoying a peaceful moment.”

The silence was too deafening, they could hear a pin drop. As the realization dawned on Ha-Jin, she felt her chest tightening.

“What should we do?” she asked.

“For now, I think the best we can do is to let him sleep,” said the presenter, “There is much to discuss, yet both you and I are tired, Ha-Jinah. Tomorrow, we’ll talk about it. But I should get going.”

He approached Ha-Jin and held her shoulder.

“Ha-Jinah, stay here with him,” he told her, “He’s going to need someone when he wakes up. Let’s hope he forgets.”

“I…I will,” she said, “I’ll stay.”

“Try to get some rest too. I assure you, I’ll peruse my studies tonight so I can shed some light on your next step,” he said. With another assuring squeeze on her shoulder, he took his keys and left the apartment, leaving Ha-Jin behind with her thoughts.

She gazed at the front door then at Jae-Yeong’s bedroom door.

The past days have been turbulent for Jae-Yeong; his work load was increasingly becoming more difficult. On top of that, he had family issues too. The press and his father’s competitors weren’t being good to him either.

Now, this.

She felt guilty for adding to his burden. In this life or in the last, Jae-Yeong doesn’t deserve the hardship and turbulent times. Despite his tough exterior, he had a kind heart…a pure soul who just needs peace. Why was her presence such a burden to him?

She stood up, hoping to check up on him.

I’m sorry Jae-Yeongah. You know I don’t want to hurt you.

Quietly, she tiptoed back to his room, gently opening the door not to wake him up.

But she saw him sitting up, his back faced to hers, and his head bowed, as if he was looking at something.

“Jae-Yeongah, you’re awake,” she said.

He didn’t say anything. He just kept sitting there with his head bowed down.

“Jae-Yeongah?” she asked again tentatively, slowly approaching him. As she walked closer to him, she noticed he was slightly shaking.

Once she got to him, she touched his shoulder.

“Jae-Yeongah?”

Slowly, his head turned to face her. She got a clear view of his face.

A solitary tear rolled from his eye.

She was confused with his reaction. Immediately, she noticed that he was holding a box—one of the boxes she had cleared up from his desk. It was gift from the investors. She took a peek at what was inside.

Ha-Jin gasped. She looked at the box then at him; a second tear made its way from his eye to the smooth surface of his cheek.

It’s been years since that hairpin made an appearance.

She trembled, feeling every inch of her being becoming detached. As Jae-Yeong sat there, clueless with his tears, she tried to hold unto what was left of her.

“Ha-Jinah,” he said, “What…is this?”

She looked at the beautiful hair ornament, which sat on a nest of colored paper. Her eyes then rested on him.

“Wang So…” was all that she said.

 

--

 

A/N: I hope everyone had eventful Christmas. I spent the holidays feasting, watching, and resting. I thank you so much for all the well-wishes; you guys keep me strong. Thank you so much for the support, and with that, I present you this chapter.

Again, I hope you found it well-written. I’m getting near to the first major story arc, which makes me more excited, as well as concerned. I want to pull things off nicely for my dear readers. Don’t hesitate to tell me if I haven’t been doing a good job.

Goblin seems to be taking notes from SHR; it’s another tragic tale. I don’t know why I’m a er for these, but Lee Dong Wook’s storyline serves as an inspiration for this fic. If you haven’t watched, go do it now!

Wait for me again!