That Night

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“Is it me or is your pile of books getting taller by the day?”

“Probably just your imagination.”

“Or you’re getting more boring by the minute.”

Ha-Jin rolled her eyes as she stacked one book on top of the other and placed the pile on the edge of her desk. She closed her laptop and checked the table for any mess.

“Tell me, are you planning on studying again or something?” asked Chae-rin, “Cause you’ve been reading and those are definitely not magazines or books on cosmetics.”

“It’s for the line; it’s a Goryeo-inspired line, remember?”

“But didn’t you just finish development like a month ago or something?” asked her roommate, looking through her books, “And since when did reincarnation became part of the make-up line? I mean look at this!” She took a book entitled Buddhism and Second Chances: What Reincarnation Means.

Ha-Jin snatched the book from Chae-rin and placed it on top of her pile. “Can’t I live?” she complained, “Please appreciate my changing interests instead.”

“I dunno what that accident did to you but you sure have changed, “ Chae-rin said, “First, you cried a lot and now, you read a lot. Man, I am never going to drown myself for a little boy. Not even if you shove me.”

“No one’s pushing you soon unless you don’t stop bugging me,” said Ha-Jin, “Now let me clean in peace so we can go out for samgyupsal ASAP.” The younger girl stuck her tongue at her unnie before leaving with a giggle. She glanced at her desk.

She did look like someone who was taking their degree in history, with all the books and papers littered on her desk. But Ha-Jin was determined to study—not for educational purposes, but for answers. She needs them.

But first, samgyupsal.  

---

 

Jae-Yeong pretended he did not take Ha-Jin out that fateful Friday night. In fact, when they saw each other a week later, he didn’t even bother to apologize for standing her up. Ha-Jin expected this already — Jae-Yeong being himself. He was, however, less severe compared to her first weeks with him.

She noticed how he always looked tired; was he getting enough sleep? The dark circles under his eyes told much of sleepless nights. With the press hounding him recently, she wasn’t surprised.

“This is the nth time those fools brought up his adopted status,” complained Ji-Hyun the other day. Tae-Won and Ha-Jin were busy planning the concept design of the bottles when he flung the newspaper across the room.

“Isn’t there anything else they can talk about?” he asked, “So what if he’s adopted? Kwang-Soo considers him a son. It’s none of their business.”

“Ah Ji-Hyun, this isn’t new anymore,” remarked Tae-Won, “Father’s enemies will always try to find loopholes when they can. If hailing an adopted son as the next successor is what it takes to bring them down, they’ll do it.”

“It’s pointless; a child’s fight. Jae-Yeong has already a lot to deal with.”

“I know. It doesn’t help that Il-Sung hyung revels at it.”

Tae-Won heaved an exasperated sigh as he drew the plan, but the sight of Ha-Jin staring at him caused him to smile.

“I’m sorry for the boring business talk,” he said, “It’s a thing you’ll have to get used to.”

She just nodded at him and made the ‘Hwaiting!’ sign. He chuckled, flashing that be-dimpled smile that caused her to blush.

If there was any good thing that came out from that Friday night, it seemed like Jae-Yeong decided to leave Ha-Jin alone. He would talk to her about business but that was about it. Him not speaking much meant she dealt with less condescending remarks and unpleasant snides. But it caused her to worry about him.

After all, there was a possibility that her Wang So was there. Just a tiny possibility.

One morning she caught him standing alone at the end of the 10th floor’s hallway. He was just staring out at the window, breathing heavily. His head leaned on the wall and just motionless. She was sorely tempted to reach out and say something, but she knew her place.

There was that one time he did acknowledge her presence. The day before, they came across each other after a business meeting. She was fixing the files from the presentation and barely noticed she was alone in the room with him. He didn’t notice either as he was busy texting in his phone.

It took a minute before both parties noticed each other’s presence. Ha-Jin immediately withdrew her gaze but noticed that he stared at her, before clearing his throat, nodding, and leaving.

 

---

 

“Isn’t that great, though? He’s finally leaving you alone.”

“Yeah but it’s weird.”

“Ah noona, what the hell? Do you want him to bother you?”

Ha-Jin sipped from her bottle of beer and smacked her lips.

“I didn’t say I wanted him to bother me,” she defended herself, “It’s just weird.”

“Trust Ha-Jin to be weirded out with her boss not being a jerk,” remarked Chae-rin, who took another bite of the kimari.

It was a Friday night and Ha-Jin wanted a drink or two. She invited her roommate and funnily, the young barista from downstairs. Fortunately, Ji-Woo’s manager was kind enough to let the young boy out. After all, he was doing a great job at the café.

“Are you allowed to drink?” Chae-rin asked him.

“Well, just don't tell on me,” said Ji-Woo, “I look 20 anyway.”

The trio laughed as they feasted on samgyupsal, kimari, and rounds of beer. Ha-Jin figured she’s had a hard run; it was time for some fun with the people she liked.

“Ah noona, by the way,” said Ji-Woo, “I have a friend who’s coming to work at the café with me. He’s got the most pathetic reason for applying, to be honest, but I want you to meet Ki- Joo. He’s nice. You’ll like him.”

“What type of pathetic reason would drive your friend to apply as a barista?”

“Ahh you’ll see when you meet him.”

Ha-Jin nodded her head and took another bite of the chapchae. Comfort food was always the best, especially when she was stressed with work. She hungrily bit into the sizzling meat and sighed.

“Maybe your boss went into remission or something,” offered Chae-rin, “Or maybe he realized he’s a jerk and this is his way of apologizing.”

“By saying nothing? There’s a great idea.”

“What a coward. What I’d give to punch him in the face,” fussed Ji-Woo, "I'd one-two him!"

“You wouldn’t want that. You’d probably end up homeless or something.”

Ha-Jin laughed and took another swig. The night was still young and she was thankful for the company of two special people. Hopefully, she would forget about her past lives, reincarnation, the make-up line and Jae-Yeong.

---

 

It was 12 A.M. when Ha-Jin decided to head home. Ji-Woo went ahead of his noonas on the account that he was already drunk and his mother would disown him if he went home late. Chae-rin wasn’t going with Ha-Jin because she had to see her sister. In the end, Ha-Jin found herself walking alone the long path of establishments on the way home.

She took a deep breath and appreciated the fresh air. She only had a bottle or two so she wasn’t drunk enough to stumble around. Her stomach was full and she was going home with good stories and laughs.

It was a good night.

Ha-Jin made a turn to the empty street nearby the local bars. It astounded her that the usual empty street wasn’t at all — there were two men waiting in the end. Judging from their appearance, they must’ve been drunk.

Okay, nope. Not going there, she thought to herself.

“Hey darling, want a drink?” asked one of them.

“The night is young!”

Ha-Jin immediately turned her back and started to walk the opposite direction. But a strong arm wrapped around her shoulders, halting her movement.

“C’mon baby doll, don’t run away,” slurred one of them, “We can have some fun.”

“Yeah don’t ditch us. We’ll show you a good time.”

“A really good time.”

They laughed menacingly as they tried to pull her towards their car. Ha-Jin attempted to scream at the top of her lungs, but one of the men covered . She fought them, struggling and kicking when she can. She took advantage of the man’s hand on ; she bit him furiously.

“Agh! Hey!”

She tried to run, leaving her bag behind. But one of the men grabbed her knee, causing her to stumble. He had a firm grasp of her knee while she struggled; the other approached her, wiping the blood away from his hands.

“We’ve got a biter here!” he exclaimed, “This will be fun.”

Dear God, not me. Please let me get out of here, she thought fearfully as the men pulled her.

“Hey!”

Another drunken slur broke the commotion. Ha-Jin and the two men stared at the end of the street and saw a dark figure approaching. She shivered. Was it another member of the gang?

But to her surprise, she was wrong on one count. The man was drunk but he wasn’t a member.

Jae-Yeong, bottle in one hand and the other wiping his lips, approached them. He gazed steadily at the men before drinking.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he asked them.

“What do you think you’re doing?” they asked him.

His eyes then fell on Ha-Jin’s crumpled figure on the ground. The corners of his mouth twitched as he took another swig.

“Don’t you know it’s rude to drag women like that?” he asked.

“Who the hell are you?”

Jae-Yeong laughed sarcastically, “I should be asking you that question,” he said.

“You little punk—!” exclaimed one of the men, about to hit Jae-Yeong when the latter’s sturdy reflexes deflected the punch. He smiled menacingly before he threw the man on his back. The other let go of Ha-Jin and engaged in the fight against Jae-Yeong.

Jae-Yeong’s drunkenness didn’t stop him from fighting. He deflected, hit and attacked the two s. Ha-Jin watched in horror as he tried to fight them off on his own. He saw her watching him.

“What the hell are you doing?” he asked her, “Get out of here!”

She was frozen on her place. Running was the best idea, but she couldn’t do it. She couldn’t leave him like that.

“Help! We need help over here!” she yelled at the top of her lungs, “Help!”

Jae-Yeong beat his opponents mercilessly. He smacked the other thug in the face and smiling at the same time.

“You…” punch “Don’t…” another punch “…mess with the wrong people.”

One of the thugs kicked Jae-Yeong in the stomach, causing him to crumple. When Ha-Jin saw the other man about to deliver a bad blow to his head, she ran and took her shoe off. Immediately, she hit him in the head.

“Help!” she yelled again, hitting the man over and over again. She sensed his partner attempting to grab her but Jae-Yeong overpowered him. With a swift move, he removed carried the man and slammed him to the ground. Ha-Jin also saw the opportunity to kick the other in the groin, causing him to fall over.

With both men struggling on the ground, Jae-Yeong saw the opportunity to run.

“C’mon,” he said, holding her hand firmly and leading her away. Together, they fled the scene and headed towards the opposite direction. Ha-Jin hoped the two s wouldn’t be able to follow them but running with Jae-Yeong made her a fast runner as well. He kept a tight hold on her hand.

It made her feel secure.

After a few rights and lefts, they ended up on the street near Ha-Jin’s apartment. Jae-Yeong’s breathing was heavy and she could feel him wobbling as they stopped by the street sign. He leaned on the street sign, spitting out blood. It was then Ha-Jin noticed how badly injured he was.

“Oh my god. We have to bring you to a hospital,” she said, getting her phone out, “I’ll call an ambulance—“

Jae-Yeong snatched her phone and shook his head.

“No, not now,” he said, “Bring me to your house.”

“But you’re injured—“

“People will talk,” he said in between breaths, “I can’t…they can’t see me like this.”

He took a few deep breaths before looking at her again. "Are you... did they hurt you?"

"No/"

He just nodded and flinched, holding his sore side.

"Let's bring you to a doctor--"

"No! Don't," he yelled, "I'll figure it out...tomorrow..."

Ha-Jin figured there was no point in arguing with him. He couldn’t walk properly since he was both drunk and injured; she wrapped a steady arm around him and looked behind, fervently hoping the thugs didn’t follow them. She took his other arm and wrapped it around her shoulder.

“Come on, I live nearby,” she said, supporting him. His whole weight depended on hers; Ha-Jin struggled as she half dragged, half pulled Jae-Yeong towards the apartment. She thanked the heavens that she lived on the first floor; otherwise, it would’ve been harder.

Opening the door, she pulled him in and laid him on the sofa. Jae-Yeong fell on the soft surface, groaning as he did. His injuries weren’t too severe, but they didn’t look good either. Immediately, Ha-Jin grabbed the first aid kit they had and started working on him with the little she had.

She attended to his face first, applying antiseptic on the wounds. He had a cut lip, which twitched when she added medicine. She didn’t know if he was struggling against the antiseptic or was just in pain—or probably drunker than she thought.

She took his shirt off to see if there were any gashes. Apparently, the blood on his shirt was from his cut lip. So far, there weren’t any alarming wounds. She applied pressure to each part. When she touched his side, he flinched and held her wrist.

“I’m sorry!” she exclaimed.

His eyes opened halfway, looking at her. He looked like he wanted to say something, but contented himself to a deep breath. Eventually, they closed all the way and he fell asleep.

The sight of him was all too familiar. She recalled attending to him in the same manner, but with herbs and old-fashioned gauze. His injuries weren’t much but his arm was grazed by an arrow.

Ha-Jin watched as Jae-Yeong succumbed to his slumber and drunkenness. His breathing was labored, which caused her to worry. But she figured they could attend to it tomorrow, since he didn’t want to visit a doctor.

She was about to leave when another urge to look at him stopped her.

He looked peaceful as he slept. There was no trace of that tiger-like aggressiveness others hated him for. In fact, he looked like a child with a cut lip. She gazed at his entire profile, taking him in and making comparisons. Apart from the hair and the scar, not much has changed.

Her hand tentatively reached out for his face, hoping he wouldn’t flinch. When he didn’t, her fingers traced the little details: his eyes, the bridge of his nose, his mouth. Her longing for Wang So fueled this desire to look at Jae-Yeong’s face—forever, if it were possible.

“You came just in time,” she whispered, “Like always."

He didn’t reply. Jae-Yeong was limp and deep in his slumber while Ha-Jin battled with a number of emotions. Rather than act on them, however, she satisfied herself by touching his face. 

“Thank you,” she said.

---

 

A/N: I was supposed to write the next part, but I figured it’s best to cut it here. Yes, I’m evil like that. But I also believe it makes the story more beautiful. You’ll appreciate it, believe me. But for now, let’s just leave them there. Tomorrow morning will come sooner than you think.