Full Circle

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

Chapter image by the lovely Imbyul <3 Go PM her for a request!

 

She could vaguely remember everything from that night. Everything was too soft for her own comfort; if it were possible, she wished she could stay where she was forever.

The sound of rain brought back images of a black umbrella and a tall figure hovering above her.

He had come back despite leaving her hopeless.

As she laid in peace, she remembered that look of compassion in his eyes. He said nothing but when he carried her with his sturdy arms, his expression said it all. She had never seen anyone look at her like that—it was only him.

The rest of the night was a blurred mirage of scenarios: his arms wrapping thick blankets around her shivering body, his hand tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear, his feet shuffling around the apartment, and his breathing.  

Everything happened so fast, she couldn’t get a grasp of the comings and goings. All she knew was that he was there. He was with her.

Before she succumbed to her slumber, she faintly recalled the sound of his voice. But she couldn’t remember what he said.

And now, she was awake.

Once she regained her senses, Ha-Jin looked around her surroundings. Everything was pristine, colored in neutral and earthly tones. Her hands felt the soft and comfortable texture of the blankets he had wrapped her in, combined with the dozens of pillows. She felt a little lightheaded but better than last night.

Last night…

Immediately, she sat up. Rubbing her eyes, she tried to process the view, wondering where she was at the moment. She looked down and saw her clothes from yesterday were replaced with an oversized white shirt. Someone had changed her clothes.

And there was no one else but—

This is his apartment.

Ha-Jin recognized the familiar design; she’s been here countless times, anyway. His dresser was messy as usual, scattered with watches and unnecessary items. But unlike before, it was eerily quiet.

She rubbed her forehead, hoping to get a clear memory of what happened last night. So far, all she could remember was that Jae-Yeong saw her in the middle of the road, carried her to his car, and watched her fall asleep.

That was it.

To get some answers, she hoped to talk to him. Slowly, she got out of the mess of blankets and pillows to find him. Ha-Jin went out of the room and looked around, hoping to see that tall figure who protected her from the rain.

“Jae-Yeong?” she called out.

There was no answer.

That’s strange.

She listened for sounds in the bathroom for any signs of showering or sizzling in the kitchen. So far, there were none. It was too quiet for her liking.

“Jae-Yeong?” she called out again.

There was still no answer.

Ha-Jin looked around his empty apartment for any signs of his presence. She wondered if he went to work, but it was a Saturday; he wasn’t a big fan of weekend work. She wandered around his pristine space, spotting family photos and toys for the big boys.

Last night was an emotional roller coaster ride. She didn’t expect the turn of events; she thought she had lost him forever. But when he came back and shielded her from the rain, it was a different story—a familiar one, yet entirely unique on its own.

Which explained why she was desperate to see him.

Her wanderings led her to his kitchen countertop where a vase, which held a solitary white rose, rested. Beside that vase was a small white envelope.

It had her name on it.

The penmanship was familiar. She took the envelope and slowly opened it, revealing a letter written in his messy scrawl.

“Ha-Jinah…” she read.

 

Ha-Jin,

By the time you read this, I’ll probably be gone. My plane leaves approximately two hours from now, so it’s best for me to leave early. I didn’t want to wake you up.

It’s been a hell of a roller coaster ride, these past months with you. I never knew any woman would be capable of breaking the tough exterior I built. But then again, you were never just any woman—you are you. And for some reason, life pushed you towards me.

I’m sorry if I cannot be the Wang So you loved. These images in my head, the things I do—they might be him, but I cannot be him. Believe me when I say I tried my best to remember, but it just doesn’t stick. And I figured I can’t put you through so much anymore—with this and all those people harassing you.

I don’t want to make things difficult. You don’t deserve it.

I just need the time to re-sort things on my own. Don’t look for me anymore. Don’t make it too hard on yourself; it’s not your fault. Maybe things aren’t meant to be. I’ll distance myself to give you the space you deserve.

Remember this: I have never loved anyone this much in my entire life. Despite the hurts, you’ve changed me in ways I’ll never understand. I’ll never forget you, Go Ha-Jin. Never.

 

He didn’t even bother to sign it with his name.

The tears threatened to blur Ha-Jin’s vision as she re-read everything he wrote. What he said, however, was clear as day: he didn’t want to make things difficult for her anymore, which was why he chose to leave.

Again.

But Ha-Jin knew it wasn’t the time to cry over him again. She looked at the watch and recalled that he lived near the airport. There were plenty of uncertainties, but she chose not to be distracted. She was going to run after him again.

Without hesitation, Ha-Jin ran out of his apartment and down to the lobby, hoping he’d be there. But life was cruel and she there was no sign of his shadow anywhere. She did see his car, meaning he didn’t take it to the airport. He must’ve walked.

Meaning, he couldn’t have gotten far yet.

I need to find him. I need to catch him.

Her heart pounded wildly against her chest as she ran from one street to another. By the third street, it was then she realized the pain in her soles. Running with flimsy slippers did no wonders for her speed, but there was no stopping her now.

Why are you leaving me again?

She looked around, hoping to see his familiar figure.

Finally, she saw him at the end of the opposite road, pulling a luggage bag with one hand, holding a hand-carry in the other.

“Hwang Jae-Yeong!”

He stopped in his tracks. Slowly, she watched as he turned around to face her.

He seemed surprised to see her there, but then again, anyone would be surprised to see a woman in an oversized white shirt and flimsy slippers. But she didn’t care. Right now, her sole focus was the man who stood at the opposite end.

“Jae-Yeongah,” she called out again, enchanted by his appearance. Her feet slowly led her towards where he was.

He was so close. She wanted to touch him, to hold on to his arms and never let him go. It didn’t matter if he was Wang So or not—it was him. She couldn’t imagine the next day without him. She had to be with him.

It was destiny.

His expression of surprise, however, transformed. His eyes, once fixed solely on her, moved for a split second and echoed some form of panic. She didn’t understand what was happening—all she knew was his presence and that bright light.

Before she knew it, a strong force pushed her away.

Then a loud noise.

Her body landed none too gently on the gravel pavement, sending a stinging pain through various parts of her body. The salty and rusty taste in her tongue indicated the presence of blood somewhere.

She slowly got up, trying to subdue the pain.

What just happened?

Her eyes then landed again on the middle of the road. This time, however, Jae-Yeong was nowhere to be found. In his place were two men, a big yet damaged coaster van, and a small gathering crowd. Her eyes wildly searched for him.

Where was he?

It landed on the solitary hand lying in front of the car, drenched in blood.

“NO!” she yelled.

Ha-Jin forgot about the pain as she scrambled towards the scene, pushing people away. She threw herself on his crumpled figured on the ground—unconscious and covered in his own blood. His face was paler than usual but splattered with blood, his eyes were closed and his hands were cold.

“Jae-Yeongah, no,” she begged, “No!”

Her eye wildly looked at the people; she screamed at them for help.

 

Bystanders immediately dialed on their hand phones, reporting of a vehicular accident in the middle of the fifth street. Victim is a young man, probably in his late twenties, they said. One of the bystanders checked to see if the man had a pulse—it was weak, he said. They speculated that he could be dead. But others hesitated.

The commotion was too much for everyone involved, but a young boy tugged his mother’s sleeve, loudly wondering why the sun disappeared during the day. The mother looked up and then looked at her son to explain.

“Mister Moon had come, but he blocked Miss Sun. He’ll be out soon.”

 

--

 

A/N: So, yeah. Interlude.

*smiles*