Coming Home

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“I can’t believe you actually ride public busses.”

“Why? Is it a crime?”

“I just…never pictured you riding a bus.”

“I find that insulting, Go Ha-Jin. I may be rich but I’m still allowed to public transportation.”

“What a joke.”

Jae-Yeong’s frown indicated that he was a bit offended with what she just said. Rather than shoot back, he chose to look outside the window, clutching the basket of fruits. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, scoffed but gazed at his profile, which was illuminated by the sun.

An hour prior to their trip, they had an argument on how they should reach Busan. Jae-Yeong insisted to drive there, but the idea of arriving in his very noticeable sports car was the last thing Ha-Jin wanted. She told him it was best to take a train, but for some reason, he refused—mumbling something about zombies.

There was no other way but to reach a middle-ground and that was to take a bus to Busan. It was a manageable option for both; Ha-Jin figured her late father won’t resent her for being a bit late for his death anniversary.

She was initially surprised when Jae-Yeong asked her about it. She couldn’t remember any instance of telling him about her father. So, she was unbelievably stunned when he suggested that they leave early on a Saturday to visit her father. Since her mother and brother were already in Busan, it would just be the two of them.

When she asked him why he was so invested in this trip, Jae-Yeong’s answer caught her off guard.

“What kind of a boyfriend would I be if I don’t visit my girlfriend’s father?”

 

It’s been two months since the launch and since then, Jae-Yeong has considered their status as officially dating. She had no say in it, but Ha-Jin found no reason to refuse his offer either.

It just happened.

After that kiss, he told her that he would never let her go. If it were anyone, Ha-Jin would’ve been angry or shocked. What kind of person immediately claims someone without their consent? He even kissed her without asking her permission—breaking his promise. She could’ve said “No.”

But she didn’t.

And now, here they were.

As the bus made a right to the last exit, she stared at his side profile, admiring his features. He was too busy taking in the scenery to notice her stare.

It’s been a whirlwind of two months. Because of his high status, Ha-Jin insisted that she didn’t want everyone to know. Fortunately, he shared the same sentiments, knowing the nature of his job. He hasn’t even made a formal announcement to everyone—but some do know.

It hasn’t been easy going out with him; they had close calls with the media. Avoiding them was as hard as avoiding mines in warzones. According to Jae-Yeong, if they got word about Ha-Jin, she might never hear the end of it. For this trip, Jae-Yeong wrapped himself in thick jackets and wore a hat to keep others from recognizing him.

Going out was difficult, but she tried her best to pay it no mind. Ha-Jin knew that fate must have a purpose to bring them together like this.

Could there finally be an answer for Wang So and Hae Soo?

“Why are you staring at me?” he asked. Jae-Yeong was still looking outside, pretending to be too interested with the trees.

“What?”

“Come on. I know you’re staring,” he said, “You always do that.”

He tipped his hat to let her see his beautiful brown eyes. There was an amused expression on his face; he was definitely daring her.

“I…I was trying to look outside,” she reasoned.

“Pft, that’s what you always say,” he shot back, “Why can’t you just admit that you think I’m handsome?”

His claims left her flustered; she could feel that blush creeping on her cheeks. She tried looking at him with an indignant expression, but his cocky look won out. Ha-Jin ended up turning her back on him, hoping to subdue the fiery cheeks.

“Are you offended?”

“Shut up.”

She heard him laugh.

“My god, Go Ha-Jin…you’re cute when you do that,” he said.

Rather than answer him, Ha-Jin looked at her clock and saw they had an hour to spare. She thought of dropping by the cemetery first before visiting the old family home. After all, he hasn’t seen her father’s grave yet.

She felt some movement beside her. Jae-Yeong’s hands were on her shoulder, trying to maneuver her back to face him. Since he was stronger, he succeeded. Still in her curled position, her face was mere three inches away from his.

“Are you still angry?” he asked.

“Why would I be?”

“Your tone says a lot.”

She pouted at him and removed his hands from her shoulders. He laughed and pulled her again, smiling charmingly at her. Hard as she tried, there was something in the way he looked at her that instantly melted any form of resent.

But he can’t know that.

 

--

 

The wind kissed their cheeks as they stood on the mountain top cemetery. Ha-Jin clutched the basket of fruits tightly as she watched Jae-Yeong stare at her father’s grave. Initially, she thought a rich boy like him probably didn’t know how to pay their respects. So when he got down on his knees and performed a traditional bow, she was shocked.

He paid no attention to the dusty ground as he paid his respects. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, fondly remembered her late father—how he would carry her whenever she fell, how he kissed her forehead at night, and how he taught Kyung-Soo and her to ride a bike.

It’s been ten years.

Jae-Yeong got up from the grass; hands folded in front of him, he spoke.

“It’s nice to meet you sir,” he said, “I am Hwang Jae-Yeong and I thank you for having a daughter like Go Ha-Jin. She has been such a treasure. I will take care of her, you can trust me on that.”

He bowed again before getting the bouquet of flowers as well as the basket of fruits from Ha-Jin’s hand. Jae-Yeong looked at her face then stopped—a worried expression painted in his brown eyes.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

“What? Uh…of course,” she said. She then noticed that a tear had rolled down from her eye. The memories of her father were enough to break that tough exterior she boasted of—well, her father and this man standing in front of her.

He smiled and extended his free hand towards her. “Your mother might be waiting for you,” he said, “I don’t know if you live near or far from here, but I do know it’s time to get going.”

“I live three blocks away from here,” she answered, “We can walk.”

She walked past him, ignoring the free hand.

“Hey, does your mother even know I’m coming?”

Ha-Jin froze.

“I…well…”

He followed her then gave her a stern look.

“Your mother doesn’t know I exist, does she?”

“I…it’s been complicated—“

“Ugh.”

Jae-Yeong took her hand and started to pull her down the hill.

“Come on,” he said, “Let me introduce myself to your mother.”

“But what would she say? What if she says…I don’t know…what if she freaks out?”

“That wouldn’t be a problem,” he remarked, “It’s me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

He turned back and winked at her.

“You’ll see.”

 

--

 

Ha-Jin was right about one thing: her mother did freak out. Jae-Yeong, however, was also right: it wasn’t a problem because it was him.

When they first arrived, it took her mother and brother a minute or two to understand who Jae-Yeong really was. It wasn’t as if Jae-Yeong insisted who he was; in fact, he seemed all right with them not knowing he was a CEO-to-be. But when her brother Kyung-Soo suddenly exclaimed he had seen Jae-Yeong on the paper, that’s when mini hell broke loose.

Fortunately, her family had the sense to keep things at a minimum while they did their little service for her late father. They all commemorated his passing with offerings, silent prayers, and little stories of their lives.

After that, however, that’s when her mother gushed over Jae-Yeong. Even her brother couldn’t keep his mouth shut at the sight of THE Hwang Jae-Yeong, as he fondly called him.

Dinner was even more amusing. Since her mother didn’t expect a fourth guest, she scrambled in the kitchen to whip something up, despite Jae-Yeong’s protests. Fortunately, Ha-Jin’s mother was a good cook and managed to come up with a semi-fancy dinner. During the meal, both her mother and Kyung-Soo bombarded Jae-Yeong with questions about his business and how he gets by and how everything works.

They even asked him about his foot size.

She expected him to get annoyed with the string of questions; surprisingly, he answered them graciously.

Now, Kyung-Soo was busy talking with Jae-Yeong about stocks. Ha-Jin watched them from the kitchen, drying out plates as she did. Judging from her younger brother’s reactions, you’d think he was close with Jae-Yeong since birth.

“Wow, Ha-Jinah. That young man, just wow,” remarked her mother.

“God Mom, get a grip,” remarked Ha-Jin, “You’d think you just saw a celebrity.”

“I can’t believe you got a  man like that,” gushed her mother, “Not that I never thought you’d never find a good man. But the heavens have been extra good to you, blessing you with someone like him.”

“Geez, Mother. I can’t believe you’re gushing over him when I, your real daughter, am here after months of being alone in Seoul,” complained Ha-Jin, “When you figured out who he was, you haven’t even asked me about my job or my life.”

Her mother chuckled as she planted a kiss on her frowning daughter’s face. “I’m sorry, Ha-Jinah,” she apologized, “Your mother was just overwhelmed with the treat you bought. You know how I’ve always wanted for you to get a man since that…well…that ex-boyfriend of yours cheated on you.”

She rubbed her daughter’s back. “You’ve had a rough year, my sweet,” she continued, “I’m just really happy that the heavens have been good to you by giving you Hwang Jae-Yeong. God knows you deserve it. I bet your father is happy in heaven about it, as well.”

As her mother tucked the dishes away, Ha-Jin watched Jae-Yeong coach her younger brother, who was starting a small business at such an early age. They looked so engrossed in each other, she figured Kyung-Soo might be too drawn with the young business tycoon.

“Ah Jae-Yeongsshi,” came her mother, “Do you need anything else? Are you still hungry?”

“No, I’m fine, Mrs. Go,” he replied, “That dinner stuffed me to the bones. I think I’m done for now.”

“That’s good to hear. I’ve prepared the guest room for you tonight.”

Guest room? What?

“Mom, we’re not staying—“

“What do you mean you’re not staying? The night is coming and I’m sure you guys are tired,” scolded her mother, “You guys are staying for the night.”

“Mom, is that necessary?” asked Ha-Jin, “We don’t want to be a burden—“

“Nonsense! I’m sure Jae-Yeong is tired from the travel. I can’t believe you made him ride the bus. Kyung-Soo has spare clothes he can borrow,” scolded her mother, bopping her head, “Besides, the local community is holding a lantern festival. I bet Jae-Yeong would love to see that.”

“He would not—“

“Yes, I think that’s lovely,” said Jae-Yeong, “Lanterns sound lovely.”

“Good! Ha-Jinah will take you!”

“Mom!”

“And after that, you can teach me about trade, right hyung?” asked Kyung-Soo.

Jae-Yeong nodded. “Sure. Let’s hope I’m not too stressed tonight,” he said.

“Awesome!”

“There’s a lantern festival? How do I not know about this?” asked Ha-Jin.

“Well, now you do,” said her mother, “Now, go before the good stuff ends.”

“What about you guys?”

“No, you and Jae-Yeong should go alone,” insisted her mother, “Kyung-Soo and I already dropped by this morning. It’s your time to go and see the pretty lights. I don’t want Jae-Yeong missing it.”

Before Ha-Jin could even refuse, her mother was already pushing them out of the door, wrapping them with scarves and coats. Her brother followed, whispering in his noona’s ear, “Wow noona, you did really good!” before sending them out. Ha-Jin could see that mischievous gleam in her mother’s eyes as she escorted them to the gate, reminding Ha-Jin to buy some rice cakes, and telling Jae-Yeong to enjoy the night.

“…and make sure he doesn’t get lost, all right?”

“Mom, what about—?”

The gate had already closed behind them. She could hear her mother and Kyung-Soo eagerly discussing.

“Ah, really!” she exclaimed, “Those two!”

She wrapped her scarf properly around her neck, complaining about her family being too eager. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, watched her in silent amusement.

“What?” she shot at him.

He laughed and shook his head. “See, I told you it’d be no problem,” he said, “Your mother is in love with me already.”

“But she’s too rash! What if you were a serial killer? A psychopath?”

“Ah, look at this girl…doubting her mother’s sense of choices,” remarked Jae-Yeong, “Why can’t you just accept the fact that your mother knows best?”

“But you’d think you’re her child and not me!”

He looked at her reproachfully. “At least I get to feel what it’s like to be doted on by a mother,” he said, “Can’t you spare me just this once?”

That stopped her.

Realizing what he just said, Jae-Yeong laughed and took her hand.

 “Come on, I want to see the pretty lights,” he told her, “I don’t want to miss them.”

Without another word, he pulled her towards the streets.

--

 

The square was incredibly beautiful that night. All the pretty lanterns adorned every street corner, the pretty lights bringing the marketplace to life.  

It was also a busy night. Buyers from the market were loudly bargaining over fish prices and chicken sizes; a vendor accidentally spilled broth on the floor, causing one of his fellow vendors to cruse in three dialects; one man tried peddling fake jewelry to a suspicious woman; and children ran around holding sparklers, screaming loudly as they did.

But Jae-Yeong paid them no mind. He wasn’t annoyed or disgusted with the sight. In fact, he seemed to be enjoying it.

His hat concealed his face from the crowd, so he had the freedom to enjoy the festivities without getting noticed. As long as no one approached him or stepped too close to his face, they should be fine.

“Wow, all these lanterns…are they handmade?” he asked.

“Yeah, most of them are made by the local vendors. They usually spend months to perfect them just in time for the festival.”

“How come you never mentioned about it?”

“To be honest, I forgot about it,” confessed Ha-Jin, “It’s been a pretty busy couple of months. I didn’t know that the festival would also fall on my father’s death anniversary. Had I known, I would’ve told you about it.”

“That’s alright. At least we didn’t miss it,” said Jae-Yeong, “Everything looks so beautiful.”

Ha-Jin never pictured rich and mighty Hwang Jae-Yeong to be amused with the humble offerings of Busan’s lantern festival. After all, he was born into a world of sophisticated parties, elegant refinery, and the likes. But here he was, laughing at two peddlers fighting over coins.

“Haven’t you seen more beautiful scenes than this?” she asked.

“If you’re talking about the parties, I have,” he said, “But most of them felt fake to me. This, however, is the real deal.”

They walked towards the nearby food stalls to have a taste of local street foods. Jae-Yeong followed her recommendations, taking one stick at a time. She also fed him some rice cakes and kimari, which he accepted gratefully despite the full stomach.

“Are you trying to make me fat?” he asked, his cheeks puffed up from the food she continuously fed him. Ha-Jin suppressed a giggle as she watched him struggle to swallow. She still found it odd that a rich kid like him was enjoying simple pleasures.

Odd, but humbling.

“You know what we should do?” he asked.

“What?”

“Walk around some more,” he said, “I’ve had a hard week.”

He generously paid for their food before taking her hand again and leading her towards the nearby lake.

The lake was prettier than when Ha-Jin last saw it. Similar to the other parts of the market, beautiful lanterns adorned the surroundings. Combine those with fairy lights, Ha-Jin felt she was in the middle of a period story. The water reflected the beautiful lights.

Since the launch, Ha-Jin hasn’t been dropping by much at his building. Her work was done, so she had no reason to visit often. Due to their want for secrecy, Jae-Yeong was the one who exerted the effort to take her out—to Ji-Hyun’s place, to visit Yoo-Hee and Min-Suk, or just a cup of coffee with the young baristas.

As a result, Ha-Jin wasn’t as knowledgeable with the comings and goings. But Jae-Yeong kept her constantly updated.

So when he said he had a rough week, she knew why.

“Il-Sung’s becoming too bratty for his own sake again,” he complained, “Just the other day, he made me look like a complete fool in front of our Indonesian investors just because of a tiny oversight. Fortunately, they weren’t narrow-minded so, they let it pass.”

“That’s great,” said Ha-Jin.

“Yeah but that brother of mine…he won’t stop at nothing,” said Jae-Yeong, “I don’t know but I have a bad feeling he’ll do everything that it takes to bring me down. And to be honest, that’s sad.”

The past months have also introduced Ha-Jin to the reality of the Hwang household. She learned much of Hwang Shin-Hye’s refusal to accept Jae-Yeong as her own, Il-Sung’s changing behavior, and Tae-Won’s sudden distance.

The last one made Ha-Jin feel guilty. She knew she had a part in that, but Jae-Yeong didn’t.

She hasn’t said anything and apparently, Tae-Won hasn’t either.

“I wonder what kind of self-restraint you have, still not choosing to fight Il-Sung back,” said Ha-Jin, “Other people would’ve easily put their siblings back in place. Some might even go to the extent of killing them.”

Well, hello there Third Prince Yo.

Jae-Yeong smiled and shook his head, “I admit, there are times when I want to exile Il-Sung somewhere so he’ll stop. But, he’s still my brother,” he said, “I don’t know. To be honest, we’re not even related but since we grew up as brothers, I’ve come to see him as one and brothers don’t kill brothers.”

He gazed wistfully at the larger than real life fish lantern, which glowed with such an ethereal light.

“Do you think he’ll go overboard?” she asked.

“Knowing Il-Sung, he’s pretty driven. When he wants something, he’ll do his best to get it,” answered Jae-Yeong, “That’s how he got Nari.”

Hearing that girl’s name sent unpleasant shivers down Ha-Jin’s spine. Jae-Yeong, noticing her sudden reaction, immediately pulled back.

“I mean…not that I care,” he said, “It’s just…that’s how driven he is. I don’t know the exact details. But Il-Sung operates under your nose. One day, he’ll say he wants this and the next thing you know, he will.”

“Aren’t you scared of what he might do to you? You’re still the successor.”

He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. “I trust Il-Sung not to go to that length, but who are we to judge, right?” he asked, “But whatever he does, Father has already decided. It’s practically on his will. The best thing I can do is hope all things end peacefully—hopefully.

Jae-Yeong stared at the children playing by the lily pads, touching the lanterns shaped like fishes. Ha-Jin, on the other hand, processed what he just said.

He was just like the Fourth Prince—unloved by his mother, fighting with his brothers, and forced to survive in the world he didn’t want to be born in. She gazed at him as he smiled at the kids; it was then she realized what kind of a man he was.

A far-cry from the man she met almost a year ago.

“I think it will,” she told him, “All you have to do is trust and believe. Besides, other people have your back. You’re not alone.”

He scoffed. “That’s what you think,” he said.

“What do you mean? You’ve got plenty of people around you!”

“Yeah, but not everyone stays,” he insisted, “Some are there because they want the money. Other members of my family aren’t even as supportive as I’d hope they’d be. A number of people don’t like me. Tell me…how am I not alone?”

He didn’t say these words with bitterness, as Ha-Jin would’ve expected. It’s as if he has finally come to terms with his situation.

But Ha-Jin refused to let his argument win.

“You’ve got Ji-Hyun-nim, Min-Suk,” she said, “And me.”

Jae-Yeong’s gaze moved from the children to her. She secretly loved that deep stare he always gave whenever he looked at her. It conveyed a number of unsaid emotions she wished she could hear.

He smiled at her before his arms enveloped her in a hug—her back resting against his chest. Jae-Yeong placed his chin on her shoulders, which made her smile.

“Thank you,” he whispered.

Despite the fact that they’ve kissed once, Ha-Jin wasn’t that comfortable with being too touchy-feely with him. Jae-Yeong, who sensed this preference, was always torn between catching her off-guard and respecting her wishes. Sometimes, he’d try to find ways to sneak a kiss, but Ha-Jin was always on guard and he’d end up pouting like a puppy.

Right now, however, as he hugged her from behind, she chose to let it go.

She smiled as her hands touched the arms that enveloped her, hoping it would offer some comfort. He’s had a stressful week and she knew he deserved this much.

“You know what?” he asked.

“What?”

“This looks familiar.”

“Huh?”

Jae-Yeong gently released her from the hug and looked around the place.

“Have we gone here before?” he asked.

“What? No, this is the first time.”

“Are you sure? We’ve never been to other lantern festivals?”

“I don’t know about you,” answered Ha-Jin, “But I haven’t been to any lantern festivals with you. Unless…you were with Nari.”

She couldn’t help but frown.

“No, I’ve never taken Nari to any lantern festival,” he said. He rubbed his forehead, trying hard to remember, “Are you sure?”

“Positive. Why?”

He shoved his hands back in his pockets again. “Nothing,” he answered, “I just remembered this one time we were in front of a fish lantern and I hugged you too. But, it’s probably nothing or maybe just a dream.”

He turned his back to look at the market again.

“It’s a shame though. If it were real, you would’ve looked pretty good in those clothes those Goryeo women used to wear.”

Jae-Yeong started to walk back to the village, clueless to the shocked expression on Ha-Jin’s face.

 

“Have you forgotten? It’s the night of the exorcism rite.”

“No one would recognize us. If you just wear something else, no one will know that you are king.”

 

“You…are my only Queen.”

 

---

 

 

A/N: I swore to myself that I wouldn’t let this fan fic exceed by 40 chapters. Let’s hope I reach that mark. I don’t want to make you guys wait or read too much, you might get tired :D

Anyways, there are two major stories in this fic—that’s all I’m saying. I guess I just want to keep you on the edge of your seat. I’ve been reading your comments and I’m amused with the speculations, reactions, among other things. It’s funny cause some of your suggestions have already been included in the entire plot…I laugh when I see that some of us match.

That means, some of you already know where this is going.

Christmas is coming. I hope you guys have a wonderful celebration with your friends and loved ones. Let’s all have a festive holiday, shall we?

Hoping to hear from you.