The Search

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“Hello again.”

 

Ha-Jin felt her eyes widening at the sight of him. Her insides went cold; the beat of heart pacing quicker than usual.

The stranger’s eyes turned into that worried gaze she was so familiar yet estranged with. He looked at Ji-Hyun.

“Is she okay?” he whispered, “She was like this yesterday.”

Presenter Ji-Hyun touched Ha-Jin’s shoulder. “Miss Ha-Jin, are you feeling unwell again? Maybe you should see a doctor—?”

“I’m fine,” she exclaimed, quickly straightening up, “I’m all right, really. Just a little...dazed.”

Ha-Jin took a deep breath and faced him—this Wang So reincarnate. The sight of this newer version of the Emperor caught her off guard. She didn’t know what to feel; the emotions were mixed, she wanted to explode. But now wasn’t the time to fall apart.

“I’m sorry,” she said, “I’m Go Ha-Jin. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” As an automatic response, she bowed formally and a little too politely. She had to bite her tongue to keep herself from addressing him as your majesty.

“Aren’t you too polite, Miss Ha-Jin?” remarked Ji-Hyun, smiling crookedly at her, “Well, this is Hwang Jae-Yeong, a family friend,” he said, introducing his friend.

The new Wang So, Hwang Jae-Yeong, nodded at her. “Pleasure,” he said.

There was an awkward silence. Ha-Jin didn’t know what to say to him. It felt like she knew him but she didn’t; he was a familiar face but also a stranger. There was so much she wanted to uncover...to ask.

“He’s the artist who painted the ones you saw,” said Ji-Hyun, breaking the silence, “Miss Ha-Jin here was fascinated with your art.”

Hwang Jae-Yeong gave a sarcastic chuckle. “That’s funny, considering I’m not a real artist,” he said, “But thanks for the appreciation.”

He seemed like the strong and silent type, one admired for his seriousness. His quiet aura strongly reminded Ha-Jin of the first time she met the Fourth Prince—or maybe her encounters after his violence died down. But there was something different with Hwang Jae-Yeong.

The sound of someone tapping on the microphone broke the second awkward silence.

“Ahh it seems like the talk is about to start,” said Ji-Hyun, “The Honorable CEO is here.”

Ha-Jin watched Jae-Yeong’s look at the stage with a bored yet thoughtful expression on his face. “I guess that’s my signal to leave,” he said.

“You’re not going to stay for the dinner?” asked Ji-Hyun.

Jae-Yeong smirked. “I don’t think so,” he said, “They’re not going to like it. You know that.”

“Ahh, you do have a point,” said the presenter.

Ha-Jin saw Jae-Yeong flash the stage another look as an old man went up. He patted Ji-Hyun on the back and looked at her.

“I’m sorry but I can’t stay,” he said, “It was nice to meet you, Miss Ha-Jin. Feel better.” He nodded at Ji-Hyun before quickly disappearing before Ha-Jin could even say a word. Her eyes followed as he weaved through the sea of people.

Oh my god.

How long has it been since she saw him face to face?

The tears threatened to fall again but she kept her composure. Her breathing, which was uneven for a while, returned to normal. She clutched her chest and rubbed, hoping to subdue her mini panic attacks.

Ji-Hyun didn’t notice her little episode. He was looking wistfully at the direction Jae-Yeong disappeared to.

“That boy,” he said, then he turned to her, “Well, that was Jae-Yeong. Don’t worry if he came across as stern or sarcastic. That’s just who he is.”

“Who is he?” she asked, “What does he do? Does he work here?”

“What a stream of questions,” remarked Ji-Hyun with a pleasant smile on his face, “Would you also like to know his choice of drinks and favorite band?”

Ha-Jin blushed. “I didn’t mean it that way,” she explained, “I’m just...he seems like...I’m...” then she ran out of words. Presenter Ji-Hyun laughed heartily at her fumbling stint. She felt so embarrassed.

“Jae-Yeong garners attention wherever he goes,” said Ji-Hyun, “It’s always been like that since he was a little boy. Growing up, he built walls when he has to but I can assure you, he is an interesting young man. You’re not the first to notice that.”

The crowds began to approach the stage where an old man gave his speech. Ji-Hyun looked at his watch.

“Well, I must go,” he said, “It was nice meeting you, Miss Ha-Jin. If you wish to know more about history, pray that the gods will allow us to meet again.” He touched her hand affectionately and gave her a knowing look.

“I have a good feeling that we will,” replied Ha-Jin.

“So do I,” said Ji-Hyun, “If you have any questions about the Goryeo period or about my wife’s fragrance preferences, here’s my card.” He handed her his business card and with a wink, he left to join the audience.

Ha-Jin took the card and looked around. There were plenty of faces around, but only one stood out in her head—and he wasn’t even around anymore.

 

Hwang Jae-Yeong — that was his name.

 

Her body longed to run after him, but her mind halted any drastic decision. She couldn’t break her knees for him again. After all, he wasn’t Wang So; he was this random stranger who liked to paint and perform, apparently. He wasn’t the Fourth Prince.

But a part of her believed he also was.

 

“It was nice to meet you Miss Ha-Jin.”

“I’m not asking your name. What is your position that you’d act that way to a prince?”

 

Even their voices were on point.

 

Hwang Jae-Young.

 

“Ha-Jinah! Come help us with the customers,” said Si Eun, “Can you get an extra box of BB Cream?”

“Ahhh, oh, yes,” said Ha-Jin, “Will do!”

As she rummaged into the stock closet for a second batch of BB Cream, Ha-Jin knew what she wanted to do next.

 

---

 

She sipped from her cup and scrolled down the search results. Ha-Jin needed the tea to calm her down. The words she read were just—wow.

It’s been an hour since she turned to her laptop for answers. The search engine didn’t fail to deliver, but the results she got so far were astounding.

There were many articles written about Hwang Jae-Yeong, but not about his paintings or his performances. Ha-Jin initially thought it was his primary profession; the Internet, however, proved her wrong with news about Jae-Yeong being the adopted son of one of South Korea’s powerful business tycoons, Hwang Kwang-Soo. Jae-Yeong was the “firstborn,” despite being just adopted. He had two other brothers with whom, according to one article, he works within their father’s network of businesses.

He’s still a Prince, then, she thought, scrolling down and clicking another article.

 

Ji-Hyun was right about Jae-Yeong getting attention wherever he went; unfortunately, it wasn’t always the good type.

 

His being adopted was a big issue in the business world, especially with his father’s decision of making Jae-Yeong top dog in case he died. For Ha-Jin, it didn’t make sense either; after all, Hwang Kwang-Soo had two biological sons. Why give the company to the adopted one?

The other news about Jae-Yeong questioned his ability to lead. There were rumors of him strolling through college because of money, reckless decisions, and basically no sense of responsibility.

That seemed far off from the Jae-Yeong she met. She thought he was just a quiet guy who liked to paint.

If there was any good news about him, it focused on his passion for the martial arts. That was it.

This is just...sad, Ha-Jin thought. She closed her laptop and heaved a sigh.

She felt mixed with this research/stalking thing she was doing. Just last night, she swore she wouldn’t get involved with her past life and move on. No more dwelling in Goryeo. The dreams can come and make her cry but she wouldn’t pursue it. She’d just leave it alone.

 

Seeing the Fourth Prince in person, however, changed the game.

 

There was no proof that Hwang Jae-Yeong was the reincarnated version of Wang So; in fact, Ha-Jin wasn’t even sure past lives were real. But she knew what she felt were. The dreams were no longer figments of imagination—that she was sure of.

She needed answers.

“Ha-Jinah, can I come in?” asked Chae-rin, “I bought some noodles.”

“Sure!”

Chae-rin entered with a tray containing two bowls of steaming ramen. Ha-Jin smiled giddily as she made space for her roommate.

“Are you feeling all right?” she asked.

“Yeah, a little dizzy, but getting better,” answered Ha-Jin, “Wah, those noodles smell great!”

“I know! C’mon, have some.”

The girls went to Ha-Jin’s table to share a bowl of ramen. The warm soup comforted Ha-Jin as she exchanged a story with her roommate. She hasn’t told Chae-rin about the dreams or her reality and past life. She figured she’d do that once she settled things. Right now, they were busy with a specific boy who might like Chae-rin.

“...I hope he doesn’t mess up this time,” said Chae-rin, “He’d be a big miss if he was.”

“That’s true. You wouldn’t want a cheating scumbag for a boyfriend,” said Ha-Jin, “Trust me. What does he look like again?”

“I’ll show you a picture,” said Chae-rin, scurrying to the bed and opening Ha-Jin’s laptop, “Whoa! You’ve been...stalking.”

Ha-Jin choked on her noodles as her roommate gazed at her guilty research.

“Who is this?” she asked, “What is it with you and this...Hwang Jae-Yeong? Hot damn, though, he looks pretty fine. Is that why you loaded a lot of articles about him?”

Ha-Jin jumped up and immediately seized her laptop from her roommate.

“Uhm...it’s nothing,” she said, locking the laptop, “Basic research.”

“For what?” asked Chae-rin, “Why is your face red all of a sudden? Do you like this guy? Are you planning to kidnap him or something?”

Chae-rin still knew nothing about Ha-Jin and the reality of her dreams. She didn’t know how to bring it up to her roommate. Telling the truth about Jae-Yeong also came with stories about Goryeo, how she was Hae Soo, and how Jae-Yeong could possibly be Wang So. But she feared it would be too much.

“No, he was at the exhibit. He painted good works there and I wanted to search him,” lied Ha-Jin.

“Since when have you been interested in paintings?”

“Since yesterday.”

Chae-rin rolled her eyes, “You mean since you laid your eyes on the hot painter?”

“Stop judging me please.”

Chae-rin giggled as she sat on the chair again, finishing the last of her noodles. “He seems like a nice guy,” she said, “Did you talk to him?”

“A little bit. He left immediately,” said Ha-Jin, “He did seem...nice. He just said a word or two.”

“Well, isn’t that a nice first meeting,” remarked Chae-rin with a sly smile on her face, “Your crush says a word or two to you. How romantic; definitely one for the books.”

Suddenly, Ha-Jin remembered a blurred image, not of the exhibit, but of a marketplace. There were no cars, just low-ranking citizens scurrying away from the black horse and its fierce rider; of how she almost fell and he got her; and of how he threw her away.

 

“How can you throw someone around as if they’re a bag or something?”

“How can you go so fast on such a narrow road? People come before cars—before horses. Is your horse more important?”

 

There was also the sound of a braying horse and sarcastic laughter.

A throbbing pain in her head caused Ha-Jin to cringe. She put her bowl down to rub the sore area while trying to make sense of the memory.

“Ha-jinah, are you okay? Is your head hurting again?” asked Chae-rin, “I’ll get you some ice. You go lay down for a while.”

Ha-Jin followed her roommate’s advice and fell on her bed, clutching her head.

As the days go by, her memories of the past became more vivid. They’d come unexpectedly, like sudden visions. Some still didn’t make sense, like a girl asking her to be someone’s second wife or washing laundry and feeling depressed. But others fell into place, especially those concerning the Fourth Prince.

When the pain subdued a little, she took a deep breath.

“Here you go, Ha-Jin,” said Chae-rin, handing a cold pack, “I’ll go get you some more meds. I’ll be back. My, you’ve gotten sick frequently. We’ll need to see a doctor soon.”

Ha-Jin rolled on her side and hugged a pillow. She closed her eyes and allowed the newly recovered memories to settle in her head.

She remembered the sound of rocks flung to the ground and angry cry. His face was stained with blood; his eyes crazed with fury and tears. She should’ve been fearful, but she recalled feeling compassionate.

 

“I told you that I kill people.”

“Then, tell me why you killed them.”

 

Her memories brought her back to that cleaner version of him—the adopted son of a business tycoon. He didn’t have that infamous cold deameanor, or maybe she just didn’t know him that well yet.

 

Is it possible—?

 

“I don’t need a doctor,” she said to herself, “I need answers.”

---

 

A/N: Don’t we all need answers?

We want things to stay the same, but life’s ridiculous like that. Still, if we accept change now, we’ll learn to adjust with it sooner. Maybe that’s what Go Ha-Jin needs; maybe, that’s what everyone needs.

Don’t you think?