Special

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

Hi!

So, as I’ve mentioned before, this is the Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath Special where I answer your questions. I received a lot of queries; I’ll try to answer as much as I can. Don’t worry, there’s a big treat after all these. Trust me.

 

Whatever happened to Nari?

I know you guys hate her (*smirks*) but for some reason, she’s always on your mind. I wondered if I made her so detestable, you just can’t even.

Okay, so what happened to her after the wedding?

Getting ditched at the altar crushed the poor Kang heiress. She had to deal with the countless headlines reporting of the poor bride who was left by her groom. If Ha-Jin and Jae-Yeong received unpleasant treatment from the press, the same thing happened to Nari, but this shook her core. As a model, despite her beauty, she lost part of her self-esteem.

The reason why I let her get ditched was because I felt it was only right for someone who left two men for selfish reasons (and because I really hate Yeon Hwa).

Of course, she got mad at Jae-Yeong and the entire Hwang family. But in the months to come, she learned that she had no right to speak up because apparently, her father was also caught in between people and dirty money. Their group gained wealth the bad way – let’s just leave it to that.

Does she find love?

No, she doesn’t.

 

Why did Jae-Yeong wait until the wedding?

It was a push and pull for him – the decision to tie the knot with Nari again. But in the end, when he decided that he was fed up with her schemes (in this life and in the last one), he wanted to end her in style.

And what better way to disgrace a witch by doing it on the supposed best day of her life?

 

How did Tae-Won and Myung-Hee meet?

Chae Myung-Hee had one wish in life: for her college friend Tae-Won to notice her.

When they were classmates at the University, however, she barely shed any emotion, any sign that suggested she was in love with him. She was his best friend. But when they graduated and he became too busy, all hope was lost and she decided to move on.

She lived in New York for a while and came back four years ago to attend a friend’s wedding, which Tae-Won also attended.

That’s how they re-connected.

There were nights when Myung-Hee wondered if she still had the same feelings for him. True enough, she met some guys in New York, but he was always on her mind. Whenever he called her, however, he would talk about this girl named Go Ha-Jin and how he liked her, but never had the chance with her.

Myung-Hee talked some sense in Tae-Won, especially during that time he was going crazy. The latter admitted that he wouldn’t know what he’d be now if it weren’t for her.

It was only a year later that he realized what an idiot he had been to her.

 

Where is Ninth Prince Wang Won?

To be honest, I really didn’t want Wang Won to be part of this story. In my opinion, he was more evil than Yo. I don’t like people who grab on to the winning side, even if their intentions are not pure. Won seemed like the person who would willingly betray Yo if the other side offered something better.

I didn’t want him to receive a second chance and yes, I’m selfish like that.

Maybe if he lived in the Goblin universe, he could reincarnate as a Grim Reaper instead.

 

Why did you choose Wook instead of Jung to be part of the Hwang Trio?

My main intention was to resolve the brother’s disputes in their previous lives. I’ve always felt that Wook loved So, but his jealousy over Hae Soo covered his concern for his estranged brother. I wanted Wook to redeem himself by putting him in closer parameters with So in their present lives.

I know that Jung also has issues with So, but Wook had bigger problems. I figured that by placing him as the youngest, it would pave the way to forgiveness – the one So nor Wook failed to give each other.

 

What happened to Ki Joo (10th Prince Eun) and Park Ha Na (Soon Deok)?

Things were so heated up between the Hwangs, I didn’t give you guys the dish on Eun and his reincarnated wife.

What is there to say?

They’re dating now.

That first date with Park Hanna, however, did not seal the deal. It was sort of awkward because Ki Joo kept messing up his words, fidgeted, and almost pushed Hanna in the lake out of nervousness. Fortunately, the girl was patient with him.

Because secretly, she also liked him.

It took them five months before they revealed each other’s feelings and it was in the most unlikely place. Unfortunately, the couple wishes to keep that information shared just between the two of them and me – the one who knows everything about them.

Now, Ki Joo is over the moon with his girlfriend. On their first anniversary, he gave her the oddest gift – a slingshot.

“Because each stare is a direct hit to my heart,” he said.

 

What is that one time that Jae-Yeong almost killed Il-Sung?

I don’t know if you guys remember that part in the badminton court where Il-Sung mentioned that Jae-Yeong almost killed him.

It was one of those fancy gatherings – the one where Nari danced with Il-Sung and looked at Jae-Yeong in the eye.

During that time, it was obvious that Jae-Yeong had strong feelings for Nari. She said she also felt the same, but she was unsure. Both of them, however, knew that Il-Sung also had feelings for Nari. So, the sight of Il-Sung winning, dancing with Nari hit plenty of nerves in Jae-Yeong, which motivated him to get drunk at the bar.

Three hours later, Il-Sung sees his hyung at the open bar and gloats. Finally, the mighty Hwang Jae-Yeong’s exterior broke. He had to say something about his dance with Nari and how she might like him better.

That led Jae-Yeong to drag his brother out towards the balcony – and almost push him off.

Fortunately, Tae-Won was there to stop it.

 

Whenever the brothers remember that event, they couldn’t help but laugh it off now. Their youthful foolishness was too much, Jae-Yeong would say. If there was a balcony nearby, Il-Sung would always ask his hyung if it was high enough for him to fall from.

And they would just laugh.

 

Does Il-Sung find love in this time?

He does – in his passion for achieving justice.

Unlike his past incarnate, Il-Sung developed a love for helping out the undermined individuals right after exposing the Kang’s dirty money laundering case. He realized that there was more to life than fame and fortune. All his life, he was too focused on getting what “rightly belongs” to him. Years in law school, however, taught him that he could help others get what rightly belongs to them.

Eventually, he will find love.

But right now, he is learning to love his family first.

 

What about Nurse Lee Yoon Ah (Lady Oh) and Hwang Kwang-Soo (King Taejo)

Unfortunately, they do not get together in this life. There are some things that are best left tragic and broken. That sounds mean, but we can’t have everything.

I made Jae-Yeong their biological son so they could at least have a spot of sunshine. Remember that Lady Oh’s son was killed when she was pregnant. At least in this life, her son lives and she spends time with him.

But if you apply Goblin’s 4-life cycle theory, there’s still hope for the King and his lady.

 

What about Hwang Shin-Hye (aka Queen Yoo)?

I’m sorry but as much as I hate it, she stays married to Hwang Kwang-Soo. Ever since the discovery that Jae-Yeong is an actual son, she’s been persistent in finding out who the mother is – although she has a clear idea already. She remembers that woman her husband was so in love with before he was forced to marry her.

In this case, however, she doesn’t say anything or object whatsoever. She knows she cannot receive her husband’s full love because, let’s be honest, he didn’t want to be there in the first place.

 

Why is it only Jae-Yeong and Ha-Jin who retain their memories?

In my SHR world, the concept of reincarnation is simple: those who have to correct stuff will do so in their second lives. So, why is it that only JY and HJ remember and the rest don’t?

I feel that Wang So and Hae Soo were the biggest victims of their lives during their time period. That’s why I wanted them to remember. By remembering, they have the chance to re-trace their steps and see which part of their lives needs the correction. They have the benefit of knowing what the others don’t.

And to be completely honest, writing about everyone remembering is a hassle.

 

MLSHR question: Why did Soo ask So to write the poem so many times? Why did Jung change her handwriting when he was about to send her letters?

I think Soo asked So to write the poem numerous times out of nostalgia or for plain girlfriend reasons. Maybe she was that sentimental, she wanted to have copies of her favourite poem in his handwriting.

As for Jung replacing her handwriting, I read somewhere that letters written with the same handwriting as the Emperor results in punishment or something. Others might think Jung did it for selfish reasons (and he could’ve) but I also think he was also trying to spare Soo. The problem is, he didn’t put her name on it.

 

Which of the readers’ speculations came to life in your story?

I can’t remember which reader suggested it, but the one about Nari getting ditched with Jae-Yeong not making any promises is one of them. During that time, I was set on writing Jae-Yeong to ditch her, but I didn’t know how to do it spectacularly. When I stumbled upon that comment, I thought, “Wow, that’s a great idea!”

So, I did.

I have really amazing readers. Like I told you, I’ve got the major plots planned out since I first started this and I’m surprised whenever you guys always guess right. I know you read with a smug smile whenever you see your predictions are actually true.

 

Author-nim, do you plan on making another SHR story?

No and I’m sorry. I love SHR, believe me, but I think it’s best that I leave my characters alone after. I’m not a big fan of spin-offs because I feel that it doesn’t do enough justice. But you’re always welcome to read my other fics. If you like Goblin or EXO, I’m your girl. I’m also starting to like BTS, so, we’ll see.

 

Will they have a proper ending?

See for yourself then.

 


 

It was him.

It was really him.

 

Ha-Jin almost didn’t recognize him due to the small changes, but now that she was looking at him clearly, there was no doubt that it was him.

Jae-Yeong took small cautious steps towards her, his eyes gazing intently. His hands were shoved inside his thick coat.

How long has it been since they last saw each other?

The very sight of him was almost too much for her heart to bear. Part of her wanted to run; surely, this was another dream that she was bound to wake up from. He was a constant visitor in her head. If she woke up, she’d be broken hearted again.

But as he walked towards her, she was starting to realize this was no longer a dream. When he was only a few inches away from her, she could see the fog from his breath.

It was him.

It was really him.

It took her a second to realize that tears had just rolled down from her eyes. She wanted to wipe them away, but he’d know that she was crying.

Three years had come and go; surely, things were not the same, were they? She wondered why he was here, why he chose to stand in front of her. Just minutes ago, she was asking the deities to help her forget him.

How is this helping?

“Ha-Jinah.”

His voice was just as she remembered it.

She looked up and saw that stare she had come to love.

“Jae-Yeongah,” she said, “What...what are you doing here?”

He took a deep breath and smiled at her. “I was doing business actually,” he told her, “I didn’t think I’d run in to you.”

His voice sounded so casual; Ha-Jin thought there was something missing. When she remembered what it was, she had to tell herself off. How could she expect the same loving tone from a man who’s about to get married to someone else?

“Well...ditto,” she said, smiling at him, “It was good seeing you, then. I...I’ll go back to my shop now.”

“Really?” he asked, “You’re just going to leave me here in the cold?”

He looked at her incredulously, his eyes widening behind his glasses. She didn’t miss that cocky tone in his voice – his signature. For a moment, she wondered if he was playing her. What were his intentions?

“I...”

He took her hand.

“Look, Go Ha-Jin,” he began, “It’s been three years. Shouldn’t we at least talk for old time’s sake?”

 

--

 

The mini garden outside her apartment was deserted that night and she was grateful. But part of her wished that someone else was nearby. Her feelings were in such a mess, she might faint and need someone to catch her.

Cause Jae-Yeong might not do it.

Whenever he wasn’t looking, she gazed at his handsome profile, which was lit by the large full moon.

He was still the same Jae-Yeong, except for the little differences. She wondered why he wore glasses – did his eyes finally give up on him? His hair was shorter yet stuck up and he had gotten thinner. Why wasn’t he eating? Was he sick? Did he take his meds?

Why was she worrying?

Without warning, he looked at her. She was startled at his sudden action, her eyes suddenly wandered towards the nearby plant. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, chuckled.

“I see you’re still staring at me after all these years,” he said fondly.

“No I’m not,” she denied, “The moon...it’s just really...beautiful tonight.”

He smirked. “Whatever you say, Go Ha-Jin.”

He was calling her by her full name again – the same way he always did when they were still in formal terms. She figured it must be his way of communicating with her now; after all, things weren’t the same.

That was unfortunate.

Jae-Yeong looked at her from top to bottom. “Wow, now that I’m looking at you, I see that you haven’t changed much,” he said, “Still pretty.”

Why was he doing this to her?

“So this is where you ran off,” he began, looking at the surroundings, “Namwon. I never really thought about that. Busan seemed like the obvious choice. Is your mother and brother well?”

“Y...yes,” she stammered.

He simply nodded and stared at the full moon.

“Have you been doing well?” he asked.

She hated to admit it, but everything seemed so surreal. The mere fact that he’s standing opposite her and was asking how she has been seemed like one of her dreams.

“I have,” she answered, “Thank you for asking.”

Jae-Yeong turned to look at him, hands still shoved in his pockets – an amused smile on his face.

“Go Ha-Jin, you sound too formal,” he remarked, “Is that the effect of not seeing me for three years? You become a robot? Or have I become a stranger to you?”

He walked towards her, clueless to the effect his presence was having.

Ha-Jin was torn between joy and sadness. There was nothing better than finally seeing him after all those years. She spent countless nights trying to remember what it was like to hold his hand or to hear his voice. Now that he was here, she could finally hear and see everything live.

The uncertainty, however, kept her from being joyful. He was right when he said he has become a stranger to her.

She didn’t know where she stood with him anymore.

“It’s been three years,” she said, “We haven’t seen each other in three years, that’s all.”

“And whose fault is that?”

He was looking at her like a child. For a second, she thought he was going to throw one of those mini-tantrums he had when they were alone. But in an instant, the frown dissolved and was replaced by a smile.

“It’s alright; no more hard feelings,” he told her, “I don’t want to make our first meeting after three years awkward. Don’t you think so, Go Ha-Jin?”

Hwang Jae-Yeong’s playful spark was back and it made her uncomfortable. Was he too satisfied with his life already that he’s pretending as if they were just...friends? There was something unsettling in his light demeanour; you’d think she didn’t ditch him before.

“Right.”

He smiled at her again and heaved a sigh, supposedly taking in Namwon’s fresh air. Ha-Jin was still flabbergasted with him.

“Why are you here again?” she asked.

“For business,” he answered, “I actually found out about you from Jung Sang-Hyuk – the cafe owner? He was raving about you when I came.”

“Jung Sang-Hyuk?” repeated Ha-Jin, “Oh! You mean—“

“The Crown Prince? Yeah.”

They stopped. Ha-Jin and Jae-Yeong’s eyes met again; acknowledging their shared memory of their distant past. It hurt her a bit; remembering Goryeo meant touching on the love they had and lost.

She cleared .

“That’s nice,” she said.

“I know.”

Another awkward pause.

“So...is that why you’re here?” she asked, “For business only?”

Jae-Yeong looked at his watch “Actually...I’m here to meet up with my significant other.”

 

It felt like someone dropped a bomb.

 

For three years, Ha-Jin trained her mind to accept Jae-Yeong’s new fate. She knew that whether they both liked it or not, he was about to tie the knot with Kang Nari. It wasn’t pleasant, but it was the hard truth. As the years went by, she found herself more accepting, if not happy, with the possibility.

Hearing it live from Jae-Yeong, however, proved that she was not okay with it.

He was so casual in saying it.

“Oh,” was all she said.

He looked at her curiously. Jae-Yeong seemed as if he was waiting for her to continue her words.

“She’s here then?” she asked.

“Yes, she’s doing business too,” he replied, “I heard she’s pretty busy.”

“That’s...interesting.”

Her heart felt like crumbling into a thousand pieces. Questions bothered her mind: where was Nari in Namwon and what business did she do? Did Jae-Yeong finally learn to love her? And if he did, how could he talk so casually about it in front of Ha-Jin? Was he that insensitive of her feelings?

Or did he think she didn’t care anymore?

She wanted to cry, but she refused. It wouldn’t them both good if she shed any tears. She would probably look stupid in front of him.

Jae-Yeong approached her.

“How about you?” he asked, “Do you have a significant other?”

He’s asking me if I have a boyfriend...

The old Jae-Yeong would freak out at the idea of another guy in her life. She remembered how he reacted when he saw Tae-Won touch her hand at the hospital. He often made comments about how he was the only man in her life – in both of her lives.

Now, he was just asking if she was seeing someone.

“I...”

Do I lie? Do I tell the truth? What do I say?

“I don’t,” she said.

“Really? Not one?”

She wanted to break down.

“No.”

“Why not?”

Could he not see it?

Because of you.

“Because I never had the time, I guess.”

“That’s...interesting.”

As much as she longed to see him, she knew this meeting was doing her no good. He was in such a good condition and happier as well. Jae-Yeong seemed to have moved on and was blatantly telling her that he loved another.

This wasn’t the reunion she had mind.

But then again, what did she expect? She did leave him.

Still, it hurt.

“I think you should get going,” she told him.

“Why?” he asked, “Are you sending me away, Go Ha-Jin? We just met.”

“But you said you have to meet your significant other,” she reasoned, “She must be waiting for you.”

He heaved a sigh, a thoughtful look on his face. “You’re right; she must be waiting for me,” he told her, “I’ve been waiting for her too.”

I do not want to hear this.

The tears threatened to fall, but Ha-Jin hid her pain behind her smile. She only had to endure a few more minutes; afterwards, she could go back to her room and cry buckets. She just didn’t want him to see her cry.

“It’s been long you know,” he continued, “I missed her.”

She couldn’t speak anymore. If this was the punishment she got for leaving him so sudden, she had no choice but to endure it.

“...I waited longer than I expected,” he was saying, “But you know what’s funny?”

If I don’t need to know, I don’t need to know.

“What?” she asked.

“I just got here and for some reason...she’s making me leave again.”

His eyes stared directly at hers.

“Right after I just found her after three years.”

 

Ha-Jin faltered.

What was he trying to say?

 

Slowly, Jae-Yeong took his hands out of his coat pocket. He held a gleaming object in his left hand and raised it for her to see.

It was her hairpin – the inspiration behind the ring she still wore.

 

“Go Ha-Jin, do not send me away,” he told her, “I think you’ve left me one too many times already.”

“I...I don’t understand,” she stammered, “Aren’t you –? What about Nari?”

He just shook his head. She understood.

“You didn’t—?”

He smiled at her.

“I don’t think I’d be here if I did,” he said, “Besides, it was never her.”

Jae-Yeong walked around her and stopped behind her.

“For three years, not a day went by that I didn’t think of you.”

Her skin tingled at the feeling of his hands twisting her hair clumsily and inserting the hairpin to keep everything in place. As he did so, tears started streaming down her face.

He came back to her sight.

“It’s always been you.”

Automatically, Ha-Jin’s hands reached for the pin he placed in her hair, touching it for the first time in three years. She couldn’t stop the tears anymore; right in front of him, she started to cry. Ha-Jin wanted to say something, but she couldn’t.

Finally, he spoke again.

“You might leave me a thousand times, Go Ha-Jin,” he began, “But no matter where you go, I’ll always follow. I will always go looking for you.”

He took another step towards her and took her free hand, placing it on his chest, which made her sob even more. Through her tears, she could finally see that loving gaze she had missed so much. His held her hand tightly.

 

“Without my permission, you cannot leave me again...okay?”

 

-

 

In the middle of the night, two souls stood opposite each other – two souls that had been torn apart multiple times in multiple lifetimes. They were close to blaming the heavens for their ordeal. As they stood there, revelling at each other’s presence, the reality of coincidence was shattered. They realized that everything happened for a reason – all the joy and the pain.

Everything finally made sense.

 

The stars twinkled brighter than ever as things finally returned to their original place.

 

--

 

A/N: One chapter left.