The Exhibit

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

 

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

 

Ha-Jin gave Si Eun a reassuring smile as she fixed the bottles of perfume for their Goryeo exhibit.

“You looked like you were going to pass out yesterday,” said Si Eun, “Are you sure you don’t need medicine?”

“Nah, I’m fine. Chae-rin gave me some last night,” said Ha-Jin, “I should be better today.” She took a sniff of the Bulgarian rose oils and smiled. Si Eun, on the other hand, remained uncertain, staring at Ha-Jin. The latter, realizing her officemate won’t let down, changed the topic.

“What happened while I was gone yesterday?” she asked.

“Well, the exhibit went well and a lot of people bought the rose oil perfume,” answered Si Eun, “That presenter did a great job of advertising Goryeo period make-up. Everyone went crazy for it.”

Ha-Jin heard the jolly presenter doing his spiel once again. She watched as he repeated his stories to a different crowd, pointing at the old-age cosmetics and how it influenced the Goryeo period.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” asked Si Eun for the nth time, “Cause I can cover for you, I promise.”

Ha-Jin smiled at Si Eun. “I’m fine,” she said, “I really am.”

 

---

 

She said she wouldn’t drop by but Ha-Jin broke her sweeping declaration.

Earlier, Ha-Jin conditioned herself not to go anywhere near the Goryeo painting exhibit. She wouldn’t set foot at the entrance. She’d leave and go home.

But of course, she ended up staying.

She stared at the massive portrait of the Fourth Prince Wang So, popularly known as Emperor Gwangjong of the Goryeo period. Her eyes went through the words about him over and over again, taking in every detail.

 

…a good and wise king who ruled over the people

…emancipated the slaves, restoring their status as rightful citizens

…believed in equality between the noblemen and the lower class people

 

She remembered that day she was sure he’d be a tyrant. There was also that fleeting fear, thinking her move of covering up his scar altered history altogether. Had she known better, maybe things would’ve changed.

He did well, she thought, He really did well.

She glanced around the exhibit, momentarily taking her eyes off So’s face.

The paintings were her memories brought to life. Even that walk with Myung-Hee and the 8th Prince made it. She felt sentimental, looking at them and remembering everything continuously—from the first time she met the brothers to the her last breath.

It was a lot to take in.

Her eyes returned to Gwangjong’s portrait. How long has it been since she last heard him speak? She tried to remember his last words, but only came up with blurbs. They sounded unpleasant. She must’ve pissed him off or something.

 

“I see you’re fascinated with the Emperor.”

 

Ha-Jin squealed in surprise at the deep voice. She turned around to see the pleasant face of the presenter from yesterday.

“Ahh…I’m sorry, did I surprise you?” he asked.

He had the face of a pleasant uncle—that was Ha-Jin’s second impression of the man she met yesterday. But there was something familiar about him.

“I’m…I’m all right,” she said, “I’m sorry.”

The presenter smiled at her. “How are you feeling?” he asked as if he knew her for long.

“Uhm…I’m feeling better,” answered Ha-Jin, “Thank you for your concern.”

The old man’s eyes twinkled as he flashed a smile. She wondered if she had seen him somewhere else apart from the exhibit; she racked her brains. Was he a customer before? Did he buy cosmetics for his wife or daughter?

He then looked at the portrait of Emperor Gwangjong, a thoughtful expression on his face.

“They say Gwangjong was one of the period’s greatest emperors,” he said, “Did you know he was one of the first to acknowledge the equal standings of every citizen in the country? A lot of the ministers and rich families attacked him for it but he stood by his decision.”

The presenter told his story proud and continued, “He emancipated slaves and returned them to their statuses,” he added, “Unlike his predecessors, the Fourth Emperor was all about equality. Granted, it earned him plenty of enemies, including his own Queen, but he had a vision that went beyond his time.”

A small bit of blurred memory hit Ha-Jin. She remembered standing in front of the palace, watching a newly hailed emperor take his stance.

Now, you will no longer be remembered in history as a bloody monarch. I will help you.

“Did he kill his brothers?” she asked all of a sudden.

The presenter wasn’t taken aback with her question. In fact, it looked like he expected it.

“History notes that the Fourth Emperor killed two of his eight brothers. He bestowed the final blow on 10th Prince Eun, as ordered by the former King,” he said, “During his reign, Emperor Gwangjong also ordered the execution of 9th Prince Wang Won for treason. His brother drank poison and died right on the spot.”

“He also ordered the deaths of his nephews,” added the presenter, “He did so to secure the Crown Prince Wang Ju’s ascension to the throne.”

Ha-Jin’s face faltered at the news. The presenter noticed this change of moods.

“There were rumors that he did so to fulfill his promise to Queen Daemok,” he said, “But that remains to be proven. Still, the King never killed until he felt the need for it."

She touched the portrait as the memories ree by one. It felt like a massive head rush—one that was pleasant and also unpleasant at the same time. Faces returned, voices stuck in her head, events came back and —

“Ji Mong!” she exclaimed, startling the exhibit presenter.

Ha-Jin stared at his face, finally remembering where she saw him. He wasn’t just the homeless man she encountered that day she fell into the lake.

 

“Mister! You know me, don’t you? We’ve even had a drink together!”

“What is this outrageous story?”

“Soo, you’ve met the astronomer Choi Ji Mong before?”

 

It was him, no mistake. In Ha-Jin’s mind, this man was the astronomer he trusted; the one who told them the Fourth Prince was born with the Star of a King—the very same one who said she could not marry the Emperor.

“Ji Mong?” asked the presenter.

It dawned on Ha-Jin that she never asked him his name. Luckily, his name tag revealed him to be Park Ji-Hyun.

“Ahhh, I’m sorry, I was babbling,” Ha-Jin apologized, “I’m a little dazed.”

Ji-Hyun gave her a sympathetic look. He rubbed his hands together and said, “Well, Ms. Go Ha Jin,” he said, “The exhibit will be closing in an hour. If you’d like to have another look, feel free to do so. If you have more questions, you’ll have to wait tomorrow. I’m a little worn out from answering teenagers asking about contraceptives during the Goryeo period.”

Park Ji-Hyun nodded farewell and was about to make his way out. It was then Ha-Jin realized she had questions.

“Sir, wait,” she said, following him, “I do have a question.”

“What’s that?”

“These paintings,” said Ha-Jin, “Did you get them from the palace? Are these authentic relics?”

Presenter Park Ji-Hyun shook his head. “All of these, except the paintings, are authentic Goryeo relics,” he answered, “A passionate painter volunteered to create the works of art you see. He made those picturesque sceneries, except for the King’s portrait, of course. I can introduce you some time, but right now,” he said, looking at his watch, “I’ll have to get back to you.”

“Right, I’m sorry for keeping you,” said Ha-Jin, “Tomorrow would be a good day for my questions.”

The exhibit presenter smiled warmly and left, leaving Ha-Jin and the paintings.

Seeing the astronomer in the form of Park Ji-Hyun shook her up a bit. As she walked away from the exhibit, she began to recall fond memories of the royal family’s favored adviser. He saved everyone he could—and she was grateful for that.

But then another idea struck her. If the astronomer was here…is it possible that—?

The rain started to fall outside the building. Hurriedly, Ha-Jin rummaged her bag for the umbrella but it was nowhere to be found.

Aisht! I must’ve forgotten my umbrella in the exhibit.

Ha-Jin ran back to the first floor, hoping to see her pink umbrella. Chae-rin would go berserk if she went home soaking wet. She might be sentenced to something worse than house arrest if she got sick.

She reached the Goryeo exhibit just in time as the staff started turning off the lights and cleaning up. Her pink umbrella sat atop an ancient vase situated near King Gwangjong’s portrait. With a relieved sigh, she quickly grabbed it.

“Sir? We’re closing up,” said a voice, “Please exit the area now.”

 Ha-Jin saw one of the organizers talking to a man who was staring intently at one of the paintings.

“Oh, really?” he said in a deep voice.

“You can still see the paintings on our last day tomorrow,” said the organizer, “We just have to clean up early for the big event.”

He said nothing else. With a quick nod, the man left his spot and made his way to the exit. But before leaving, he noticed Ha-Jin’s presence. He glanced at her.

Ha-Jin's heart dropped.

Those deep-set eyes were the same—exactly, the same. Except for the hair and the clothes, the face, the voice, the stature...

 

Everything was the same. 

 

--

 

A/N: I just rewatched everything. It doesn't help that Lee Joon Gi posted an IG update with the caption "SOON" on his Scarlet Heart clip. What does it mean? Will we get a season 2? Anyway, I wrote this to satisfy my curiosity. I hope it does the same for you.