The Morning After

Scarlet Heart Ryeo 2: The Aftermath

The sun blinded Ha-Jin’s eyes, forcing her to wake up.

Her back felt sore as she stretched and yawned, realizing she had fallen asleep beside the couch. Her weird sitting position was to blame for her uncooperative back. She winced at that stubborn soreness developing near her spine and on her hips. To top it off, her head throbbed.

What time is it?

She looked around for the clock and saw it was already seven in the morning. The sun continued to blind her as she stood up, wobbling from last night’s events.

Last night…

“Oh my god,” she exclaimed, looking wildly around the living room. He wasn’t on the sofa anymore.

Ha-Jin got her socks and started searching for her patient. Did he leave already? She ran around the kitchen and the living room.

“Hwang Jae-Yeong?” she called out, “Where are you? Are you still here?”

Did that stupid guy just leave without notice again? I swear to God if he went out without bothering to attend to his injuries, I will open those wounds.

She ran past the bathroom and Chae-rin’s room. He wasn’t there. Ha-Jin suddenly felt nervous; did she just imagine everything last night? Did Jae-Yeong really save her from those s down the street last night? Because the idea of her mean team leader actually saving her seemed ridiculous now that she thought about it.

The sound of ruffling from her room scared her. She quietly walked towards her bedroom and took a peek.

Jae-Yeong’s was facing her. He was too busy going over through her stuff to notice her presence. She was about to call him out when she noticed that he was reading her books—those books. The very same that talked about either reincarnation or Goryeo. Ha-Jin watched quietly as he went through her books.

“I know you’re watching,” he said all of a sudden, catching her off guard.

Ha-Jin straightened up in surprise as Jae-Yeong placed the book down and faced her. It didn’t help that he stood by the window, allowing the sun to bask him in all its glory. She blushed at the sight of him and tried to hide it.

“Are…you okay?” she asked him, averting her eyes, “How are you feeling?”

He touched his forehead and then his lip. “I’ve had worse,” he answered shortly. He returned his gaze to Ha-Jin’s collection of books and notes.

“Shouldn’t you be going to the doctor now?” she asked.

“I feel fine,” he said, skimming pages, “Just a little woozy, but I’m okay.”

His tall and toned frame hypnotized Ha-Jin for a moment or two before she returned to her senses. She watched him read her books and got an idea: could he possibly remember something if he read his own history?

“No wonder they took you in the line,” he remarked, “You’re a big fan of Goryeo.” He closed the book and shoved his hands in his pockets.

That’s it?

“I guess I better find my shirt and get going,” said Jae-Yeong, “Nice room, by the way.” He was about to pass Ha-Jin when she spoke.

“Thank you ,” she said, “For last night. I don’t know what would’ve happened if you didn’t come.”

He stopped by the door frame, right in front of her. Ha-Jin looked up at his tall frame and saw the remnants of last night’s troubles on his face. She also spotted a bruise developing on his arm, as well as a scratch on his shoulder. Jae-Yeong looked at her, one corner of his lips rising into a smirk.

“So, I don’t owe you an apology anymore?” he asked.

Oh my god. He’s hurt, but he’s still arrogant.

She looked at him defiantly, “That’s not fair,” she complained. Jae-Yeong was obviously patronizing her, but it was a fresh change for Ha-Jin. He didn’t talk to her much since that night he left her.

“I already got hurt for you,” he reasoned, “Aren’t the bruises enough?”

“You didn’t have to help me out!”

Jae-Yeong bent closer, his face was just two inches away from hers. His eyes stared into hers with that cocky look he was infamous for.

“But I did,” he said, “Next time, try not to get into trouble.” He bumped his fist lightly on her forehead before straightening up and exiting the room. Ha-Jin watched him grab his shirt from the kitchen countertop before sitting on one of the chairs.

“How far is the office away from your apartment?” he asked, texting on his phone.

“A train ride away,”

He considered it first then nodded. “I think I can walk that far,”

“Are you crazy?” exclaimed Ha-Jin, “You just got beat up last night. Walking to the office isn’t going to help you get better. I’m not going to let you do that! You need to see the doctor.”

Jae-Yeong was surprised with her tone; it was clear on his face. Then, he cocked his head to the side.

“You’re not going to let me?” he asked, “You? Not going to allow me? I’m your boss.”

“No, you’re not,” she countered, “This isn’t the office and you can’t boss me around. You’re at my apartment, under my rules. If you go out of that door to work, I swear to God you’ll have to drag me first.”

Ha-Jin spoke so rapidly she had to catch her breath. What the hell was wrong with him? And what in the world did she just say?

Jae-Yeong seemed lost for words. His elbow slipped from the countertop when she was shouting at him. Ha-Jin suddenly had that bubble of fear, realizing she had just yelled at a future CEO and business tycoon. He could make life miserable for her if he wanted.

“Wow,” was all he said.

Ha-Jin heaved an exasperated sigh. “Have a driver pick you up. You’re not walking,” she said. She wasn’t going to allow him to be stupid for the nth time. As she made her way to the kitchen, she hoped he took her words seriously. Getting dragged didn’t sound so good.

He said nothing more once she started cooking the eggs. Her head was swimming in fury, impatience, and among others. She couldn’t deal with his immaturity right now. Sure, he saved her but if he was going to be a brat—

“That smells nice,”

Jae-Yeong had appeared beside her, observing her cooking.

That was shocking; that was the first nice thing he ever said to her in months.

“You’ve always been feisty, haven’t you?” he asked, “No one taught you manners.”

“Wow, says the guy who left the person he asked a favor from alone in the rain,” she said sarcastically, “That’s funny.”

Jae-Yeong was stumped for the nth time; seeing him that way gave Ha-Jin the satisfaction of payback. She flipped the egg, gave the pan a nice shake, and took it out. She rummaged the cabinet for any kimchi, thinking fried rice sounded like a good idea. Her toes tipped, attempting to reach the jar of kimchi at the top shelf.

His long arm extended past her and brought the jar down.

“Thanks,” she said and continued cooking. The sound of fizzing was the only ice breaker between them.

“I’m sorry,”

Wait, what?

She took a break from cooking to face him. Jae-Yeong’s eyes were on the ground, hands behind his back. He looked sincere and embarrassed at the same time, like a little boy trapped in a grown man’s body. Running a hand through his hair, he looked at her.

“There, I said it,” he said, pouting as he did.

“Aisht, is it so hard to be humble for once in your life?” she complained to him, bopping him with a spatula. Again, she easily forgot the differences in their levels. This was Hwang Jae-Yeong, the son of a business tycoon and her somewhat boss during the evening. And here she was, Go Ha-Jin, a simple cosmetic specialist, bopping him with kitchen tools.

That sense of familiarity was too strong, she couldn’t suppress it.

“Hey, just because this is your apartment, doesn’t mean you can disrespect me like that,” shot Jae-Yeong, “Actually, you’ve been like that from the start. Why? Am I your junior or something? Don’t you know what I can do?”

“I have NOT been like this from the start. I only defend myself when I have to,” she retorted, stirring the rice, “You’re the one who always acts like a jerk. Just because you’re powerful, that doesn’t give you the right to belittle people around. Are you a king? To think you’ll be inheriting a fortune of a company and controlling others.”

She stir fried the rice, added the kimchi, and some salt. After a few minutes, she poured them all in a bowl and topped it with egg. She placed a spoon and shoved it at him.

“There, eat,” she told him, “Text someone to pick you up.”

Without another word, she left him and headed to her bedroom to clean. Ha-Jin was surprised at herself and the confidence she showed. Wang So or Hwang Jae-Yeong, no one had the right to boss people around or pretend they didn’t do anything wrong. She wouldn’t let anyone get away with it.

Ha-Jin stacked her books on the Emperor Gwangjong and his reign on top of the reincarnation books furiously. She had to keep her cool; otherwise, she’d explode on the guy who just saved her life.

“No one made me kimchi fried rice like this,”

He said it so casually as he leaned on the door frame. He was eating one spoonful after the other.

“My parents were always out and the maids weren’t exactly good with cooking,” he continued, “This is the first time I tasted home cooked kimchi fried rice.”

“Why didn’t you ask your mother?”

There was silence. Ha-Jin saw his face fall a bit.

“My step mother…she wasn’t a big fan of cooking,” he explained, “Or me.”

“Oh.”

He took another bite and chewed thoughtfully. Ha-Jin wondered if he really enjoyed what she cooked or was just playing around. But he devoured the bowl like a hungry dog and his spoon for good measure.

“I texted a secretary to pick me up,” he told her, “He should be here in a minute.”

“Good,” she said, “I have bandages if you need more.”

“No, you did a good job already,”

She walked past him and towards the living room, cleaning up the tissues and bandages from last night. Chae-rin was bound to come home soon as well; having Jae-Yeong out of her hair as soon as possible would be better.

The sound of the running faucet suggested he cleaned his own dishes.

At least he’s good at cleaning dishes, she thought, picking up the garbage. She plumped up the pillows and cleared the sofa from other dirt or evidences. From the corner of her eye, she watched him place his bowl on the countertop and flash her a look.

“Hey,” he said, “I’d appreciate it if you don’t mention what happened last night. The story will be I fell from my bike.”

“Sure,” she answered, “I’ll pretend nothing happened.”

“That’s cold,”

She couldn’t understand him at all. Wang So wasn’t like this—he had mood swings too but Hae Soo could tell what he did or did not want. This guy, on the other hand…

He’s not Wang So.

She didn’t answer and walked towards the bathroom instead. She got out painkillers and placed it on the table.

“Take those once until the pain subsides,” she said, “It should help.” Ha-Jin busied herself with folding the washcloths. Jae-Yeong, on the other hand, leaned on the countertop and stared at her.

“Are you mad?” he asked.

“Do I look like I’m mad?” she snapped at him.

“That sounds mad,”

“Aisht!”

He chuckled.

“Has anyone ever told you you’re interesting when you’re mad?”

The sound of keys and plastics ruffling by the door halted Ha-Jin from retorting. She looked at the door and heard her roommate shouting something from behind the door.

“…someone’s looking for someone?” asked Chae-rin.

Chae-rin froze at the sight of Ha-Jin and Jae-Yeong, her hands busy with the keys and groceries. An awkward silence followed.

“What?” asked Ha-Jin.

“Uhm…I said there’s someone looking for someone,” answered Chae-rin, staring at Jae-Yeong, amazed and surprised at the same time.

“That’s probably my ride,” he answered, “He’s here.”

“He? It’s not a guy—“

“Jae-Yeongah,”

Ha-Jin’s mouth dropped at the sight of Nari by Chae-rin’s side. What was she doing here? Didn’t Jae-Yeong said he asked his secretary to pick him up? This was definitely not his secretary.

Nari looked as if she rushed over to their apartment, but still managed to look flawless. She had car keys in one hand, suggesting she was the one who drove here to pick him up.

“What’re you doing here?” asked Jae-Yeong, “Soo-Kyung was supposed to pick me up.”

“I know but I’m here now,” answered Nari, “I’ve already told them. You’re coming with me.”

There was that tensed air surrounding the apartment as both parties stared at each other. Ha-Jin didn’t know if she had to introduce herself, if Jae-Yeong would do it, or if the awkwardness would just continue.

Jae-Yeong straightened his shirt and faced Ha-Jin.

“Thanks for last night,” he said, “I’ll see you in the office.” Then he walked towards the door and acknowledged Chae-rin.

“I’m so sorry for inconveniencing your roommate,” he said, “But it’s nice to meet you.” And without another word, he walked past Chae-Rin and Nari and went his way. Nari seemed annoyed with this little gesture. Her eyes then landed on Ha-Jin.

The latter didn’t know if it was annoyance or suspicion in the other’s eyes she saw. But Nari nodded at them and followed Jae-Yeong, leaving a surprised Chae-Rin by the door.

“So…is there anything I should know?” she asked.

 

--

Days after their run-in with the thugs, Ha-Jin stuck to her promise of pretending nothing happened. Whenever someone asked Jae-Yeong about his scratch or cut lip and she was within the room, he’d say he fell off his bike and she’d say nothing.

It’s as if the whole night never existed—for Ha-Jin, at least.

They went back to their usual business style of communication, but Jae-Yeong’s cocky attitude towards her made a comeback. Every now and then, he’d make a remark on her suggestions or randomly. Ha-Jin, however, had become passive.

There were times when she was sure Jae-Yeong and Wang So are different people, that the former would never live up to the latter’s personality. The Fourth Prince, despite his dark history knew his place and exhibited maturity; the latter, however…

But Ha-Jin would always remember that talk about past lives with Ji-Hyun. That and her recent studies on reincarnation made sense. She felt that burden of fulfilling something; the problem was she didn’t know what it was. Was Jae-Yeong a big part of it? If all were nonsense, why do these people from the past return?

Her dreams about the Fourth Prince do not help her situation either. There are days when they do not come, but when they do, sometimes she thinks they’re not just dreams—they were actual recollections.

And then she’d wake up crying.

She visited the Hwang Cooperation Main Building again to submit copies of the final proposals for the collaboration. Before she did, Manager Park joked that Ha-Jin might consider leaving to work full-time for the big bosses. She just smiled at the remark, thinking that nothing could make her leave.

Well…no one.

She placed the final papers on Ji-Hyun’s table with a note saying she’ll come back tomorrow for the final check up.

“Ah, Ha-Jinah!”

Tae-Won stood by Ji-Hyun’s door, a wide smile on his face.

“Hello there,” she greeted, “Are you going home?”

“Was about to,” he said, “Are you headed out? I could walk with you.”

“Where’s the rest of your family?” asked Ha-Jin as she closed the door behind.

“Ahh I’m about to see them for dinner. They're all at some big meeting so I might see them after an hour or two,” he explained, “And Jae-Yeong hyung might go with me…if I chance upon him.”

They walked through the empty hallway, along with the others who are about to go home.

“You know, I was reading about rose oils the other day,” said Tae-Won, “They were really popular ingredients in Goryeo’s line.”

“So, you’re reading about make up now huh?”

“You got me interested in them,” he said, “Also, I thought of a better name for that shade ‘Oh My God, Red!’”

“What?”

“REDy or Not, Here I Come!” he said with a matching funny face. Ha-Jin laughed at Tae-Won’s corny joke and lame attempts at being funny.

“Ahh Tae-Wonah, stop being funny,” she told him, “You’re too corny for your own good.”

“That’s not fair. I try my best!”

“But end up miserably failing,”

“Wah, you think you’re all that?”

Ha-Jin rolled her eyes at him while Tae-Won surrendered to her whim. She liked that second-hand embarrassment, puppy attitude he had. It was cute, a great stress-reliever, especially when his older brother acted up.

“Maybe if you practiced your jokes more often, you’d perfect the art,” she told him, “Otherwise, you’re just being pathetic.”

“And you think you’re better with jokes huh, Miss Ha-Jin?”

“I’d like to think so, Mr. Tae-Won,”

There was a mischievous gleam in his eye that Ha-Jin couldn’t help but blush too. It was hard to see the serious demeanor of the Eight Prince in his incarnated version. Unlike Wang Wook, Tae-Won was the best combination of light humor and seriousness. She appreciated it.

“Ah, hyung!” called out Tae-Won. Ha-Jin looked and saw Jae-Yeong walking towards them. Ha-Jin’s body automatically stiffened, the smile turning into a serious frown. He looked at her inquisitively before smiling at his brother.

“Did you meet up with Mr. Jung and Park already?” he asked Tae-Won.

“Yes, just last night. They’ll be visiting us tomorrow for a second meeting but I’ve already told them to sort the bonds first,” said Tae-Won, “They seemed interested with our suggestions. I’ll get them to sign, don’t worry.”

“That’s good. I’ll leave it to you. Better than you flirting around,” remarked the oldest, causing his brother to blush, “Just text me when you’ve done it. If they don’t agree, I’ll send some back-up.”

“Noted. Will see you tonight for the family dinner,” said Tae-Won, “C’mon Ha-Jinah.”

“Actually, I was hoping to talk with Miss Go,” said Jae-Yeong, “If you don’t mind.”

Tae-Won looked unsurely at Ha-Jin, who did not want the former to leave her behind. What could Jae-Yeong possibly want from her?

“Oh uh…all right,” said the younger one. He turned to Ha-Jin with that gleeful smile. “I’ll go ahead and practice my jokes. When I return, you’ll be dead.”

She smirked. “Wanna bet?”

Tae-Won laughed as he bowed at his brother and made his way, leaving the two in a bubble of awkward silence. Ha-Jin felt so uncomfortable in his presence; sure, he looked like the love of her past life, but it wasn’t him.

“Are you still mad?” he asked.

She couldn’t even look at him directly in the eye. Ha-Jin focused her gaze on his pristine shirt, admiring how the shirt was so white despite its owner.

“Why would I be mad?” she asked.

“You know what I’m talking about,”

“No, I don’t,”

“Yes, you do,”

He said I should pretend nothing happened. Why is he asking now? What does he want?

Jae-Yeong didn’t look sarcastic or mad. If anything, he seemed annoyed.

“You don’t have to be mad,” he told her, “I said I was sorry.”

“Sir, I really don’t know what you’re talking about,” she shot back, “If you’ll excuse me, I have to go home.” Ha-Jin bowed politely at him and walked past him, resisting the urge to shout or do something unpredictable. Fortunately, he didn’t follow.

There was something about that day that got into Ha-Jin’s nerves. Was it because of the pride? The cockiness? The belittling? The sudden appearance of that Nari girl and her suspicious eyes? She didn’t even know it herself.

All she knew was she didn’t like being with him…right now.

--

“Aisht, why did I leave my phone?” complained Ha-Jin as she stuffed her culprit of a phone back in her bag. She shook her head and quickened her pace. Rather than go home, she ended up going back to the office for her phone.

Ha-Jin hoped it wouldn’t rain, she didn’t have an umbrella at hand.

“…on why you still insist an adopted son should take your place!”

She stopped at the high-pitched voice complaining in a nearby office. The door was ajar, which explained why the meeting was less than private.

“Jae-Yeong is more than capable of handling everything when the time comes. Why must his status be a consistent factor?”

“He is not your real son!”

“He’s as good as,”

Ha-Jin found herself walking towards the conference room, standing just behind the door. She peeked and saw CEO Hwang Kwang Soo glaring at the people surrounding him—two of them were his own wife and Il-Sung.

“Sir, Jae-Yeong is not a stable form of support for your business,” said one of the advisers, “He is reckless; not everyone likes him. It’s bad for the company, especially if he will take over everything.”

“That’s right. Il-Sung here, on the other hand, has been busy creating good relations with relevant partners,” said Hwang Shin-Hye, “He has gathered more partners than Jae-Yeong. Isn’t that what matters?”

“You’ve always been hesitant to take Jae-Yeong as your own; is underestimating him your coping mechanism?” spat the CEO. Ha-Jin saw the CEO’s wife looking stumped over her husband’s accusations.

“But Mrs. Hwang has a point, Sir,” said another adviser, “Hwang Il-Sung has the better chance of improving the business compared to his brother. Last I heard, Il-Sung established good relations with big tycoons in China.”

“So has, Jae-Yeong,” came Presenter Ji-Hyun’s voice, “He just doesn’t publicize his efforts as much as his younger brother. He does what he should and goes beyond, minus the press. He hates it. Still, I think it’s not right that we talk about this matter without Jae-Yeong. This is a conspiracy.”

“See here, Ji-Hyun. Don’t go around accusing us of conspiracy,” said an adviser, “Or we might think you just favor Jae-Yeong.”

“Enough,” said Hwang Kwang-Soo, “That is enough. I will not have my eldest son be tossed around just because he is adopted. He is still the eldest, still my son, and will have the same rights as his brothers.”

Ha-Jin saw him look at Il-Sung, who seemed disappointed with his father’s decision.

“This does not mean I belittle what you can do, son,” he explained, “This is just my decision. Frankly, I’m disappointed you’re joining this cause. I would’ve thought you’d know better and be the bigger man.”

“I’ve always tried to be the bigger man, Father,” said Il-Sung, “But it’s difficult when favorites come in to play, especially when he’s not even your son. Why do I have to constantly prove myself over someone who doesn’t even make any effort?”

“That’s not true. You don’t know what your brother does,” defended Ji-Hyun, “He works his best.”

“So says the man who’s always favored him,”

There was a rigid silence between the members and the CEO. Ha-Jin felt she shouldn’t be watching the meeting, but her feet were frozen on the ground. She couldn’t believe the exact same scenario was happening again…sort of.

“Honey,” came Mrs. Shin-Hye, “I’m not saying this because I’m belittling Jae-Yeong. I know how much you’ve always loved him. But we are talking business here. Most of us are concerned for the company’s welfare if it falls in his hands. We don’t want your hard work to go to waste.”

“So, if Jae-Yeong takes it, everything will be ruined, you say?”

There was another silence. The CEO clicked his tongue and looked at his subordinates, his wife, and his son.

Ha-Jin couldn’t watch anymore. She felt bad, not just for eavesdropping, but for Jae-Yeong. He was a jerk, but he didn’t deserve this kind of backlash. She fervently hoped word of this conspiracy meeting wouldn’t reach him.

She took a step back and squealed upon stepping on someone’s feet.

“Oh my god,” she exclaimed in whispers, “I am so sorry—“

Jae-Yeong seemed to have not heard her. He was just looking at the open door, a blank expression on his face. His lips twitched, suggesting that he didn’t like what he just heard either. His fists were clenched.

He then noticed her. It was painful for Ha-Jin to watch a fake smile spread on his face. Without another word, he walked towards the fire escape. She would’ve asked why he went, but she otherwise.

Then, the rain began.

Ha-Jin could hear the furious bullets of rain falling outside the building. As the thunder rumbled with the pouring rain, heavy feelings settled within her. Her eyes were nailed on the fire exit and realized that he was there…alone…in the rain.

Without thinking, she proceeded towards the fire exit. She pushed the heavy door and felt the droplets touch her feet.

Jae-Yeong stood by the edge, gazing at nowhere. For a second, she feared he might attempt to jump off. But he just stood there under the rain, hands in his pockets, and possibly, looking emotionless.

Her feet brought her closer until she was behind him. She watched as he bowed his head and heave a frustrated sigh.

Despite everything he had done, seeing him down still bothered her.

The rain poured heavily on both of them; she could barely see anything else but his back. She could be going home instead of standing behind this soon-to-be and very torn CEO. She could’ve just gone inside and ignored him.

Instead, she reached out and held his shoulder.

--

A/N: The weekend held a number of activities, which I couldn’t get away easily. But I’m back now and so are they.

Quick tip: reading this with the soundtrack playing is such a perfect combination. I swear. I wrote this listening to EXO-CBX’s For You. Almost cried but didn’t cause I’ve done worse. Still couldn’t understand why For You or any of the other soundtracks didn’t get a nomination.

Oh well.