Happy Holidays, stellar

Who's My IGOT7 Secret Santa? 2016 [News update from the 2017.07.01]

Gift for stellar

Gift from ???

Title of the gift: Cancelled

Pairing(s): Jae Bum (JB) x OC (Crescent/Cress)

How many words: 7947

Rating: PG

Warnings: ---


Note to my giftee: I apologize in advance if the story isn’t what you’d like but hopefully you do enjoy. I’m not sure if you’d had liked me to use the name provided so I just decided to give the OC a different name instead. Hopefully this gift is well written and Merry Christmas!


Cancelled

 

“Just tell him that I’m busy,” she said casual stuffing her traveling bag with clothes fit for the summer. It was winter.

“Why?” I whined plopping onto her bed watching her continue to pack. “Why can’t you just text him or something? Why do I have to be the messenger, again? You know, no one ever listens when the messenger tells them not to kill them. I mean seriously, we’re only giving you what the other person said. We didn’t say it. I don’t want to die Hannah, please. The messenger always gets shot!” I flailed my arms in the air and my legs that hung partially off the bed. She just laughed at me and rolled her eyes, entering her closet once again looking for more summer fit clothing. I sighed and rolled onto my belly so I could muffle my scream in the bed.

I hated being her messenger. Every time Hannah had an admirer and she said yes to them, I was always her messenger to tell them she “couldn’t make it”. “Tell them I’m busy,” she’d say or “Tell them I forgot I had plans,” or “Tell them I died”. Yeah, that one I never used because that was the stupidest excuse. Well to be more precise, I always told her admirers the truth. Hey, she doesn’t know what I tell them and I’d rather be blunt with these men so they’d stay away and I hate how she strings them along. I mean, she’s my sister and I love her but I hate how she’s such a player. I mean for instance, she said yes to this dude only knowing that she was going to go on another trip with this rich guy to the summeryist place on the planet. Yes, summeryist, don’t judge me.

“You won’t die Cress, I mean, you’ve done this plenty of times so one more time won’t kill you right?” she spoke playfully, chuckling after. Rolling my eyes, I press my face back into her mattress and scream again. Through muffled words I tell her about how many of her admirers had spat harmful words at me, no not her, her name was never mentioned. No, they always fought me with their words. I was slapped once but of course all these words were muffled so she couldn’t understand. “What? What are you saying crazy?” she giggled as she struggled to close her bag.

“I didn’t say anything. I was just fighting with myself,” I lied as I got up from my position and sat on her bag to make it easier to close. “Please Hannah, I don’t want to do it,” my voice sincere. She looked me in the eyes and sighed. Then she brushed my short hair back and smiled a sort of sad smile at me. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion at her action.

“Please Cress, I actually really like this guy and I don’t want him finding out about me saying yes to another man,” she spoke softly making me sigh. I hated it when she looked at me with those puppy eyes and her sort of sad smile. I closed my eyes and sighed again.

“Fine, I’ll do it. But this is going to be the last time,” I said and her eyes brightened and she smiled widely.

“Thank you!” she pounced on me with a hug. I just rolled my eyes and sighed as she tightened her embrace on me. “And you always say that but there’s never a last time,” she added winking as she pulled away from her hug and pulled her bag from underneath me making me fall back onto her bed. “I love you, thank you and bye! I’ll see you in about a week!” she said happily leaving me sprawled on her bed, speechless. Why do I always fall for her acts?

The winter always made me giddy for some odd reason. Maybe it was because of the snow or because the stupid bugs were all dead for the time being, but I loved the winter season. I loved being able to wear my big oversized sweaters and my sweats. I loved being able to breath and see it show in the cold air. I feel like a little kid every time the winter season comes around. I liked everything about the season despite the cold chilling feeling. Winter is beautiful, and to me it represents starting over.

Now, why am I describing the season when I’m on a mission to cancel an admirer’s date? Well because I’m standing outside in my usual attire, an oversized sweater with sweats and tennis shoes, waiting for this admirer in front of a Starbucks. Hannah always made her admirer’s “pick her up” in front of Starbucks. Standing here, I totally forgot about my job. It was only when my phone began to ring that I remembered why I was here. It was the admirer. I knew it was him because Hannah always gave them my number, which was one thing I always hated as well with her being a player. I picked up and didn’t say a word.

“Hey,” he said, his voice deep and mesmerizing. It took me awhile to recover from just his greeting. “I’m inside Starbucks but I don’t see you.” I shook my head waking myself up from such an idiotic frozen state and headed inside looking for the admirer. I looked around, trying to find a person on their phone which was hard because almost everyone was on their phone. I took a deep breath and planned to let the admirer continue talking so when I passed any guys on their phone I’d know if it was him. “Hello?” he asked as I began making my round. “Did I upset you in anyway?” he asked concerned laced in his enticing voice. I didn’t say a word, but I did somehow trip on a guy’s foot as I made my rounds.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized quickly.

“Are you okay?” he asked and as he spoke, his voice echoed and I froze. “Miss, are you okay?” he asked again and his voice echoed again. As he spoke, his voice echoed through the phone. It was him. The guy that my sister wanted me to kick to the curb for her. He was really good looking which made me wonder why Hannah would ever want me to kick him to the curb for her. My right eye began to twitch and my breathing began to pick up. “Are you okay?” he asked even more concerned and stood up from his seat as he tried to help me stop from hyperventilating. He was much taller than me. He looked into my eyes and I could see his sincere concern. His eyes seemed to glitter in the dim coffee shop and then he placed a hand on my shoulder and for some reason at that moment my body finally decided to move and I ran into the girls bathroom.

Still hyperventilating, I stood in front of the mirror trying to catch my breath. Why was I acting this way? It’s just a guy, a guy that likes my sister. He’s just another one of her stupid admirers yet I’m acting like if I’ve just met Jin Young of Got7. Why was I acting this way? I mean, yes he’s really handsome, and his voice is so mesmerizing. He even seems like a nice person and his eyes, they hold so much in them. His eyes glittered in the light and were those two beauty marks above his left eye? They looked so cute. And his, hold up. I need to stop thinking about this guy. He’s just another of her admirers.

I shook my head and turned the faucet on, splashing my face with water hoping to wake myself up from my stupid thoughts. I sighed turning the faucet off and leaned into my hands that held onto the ledge of the sink. I closed my eyes and regained my composure then realized that I dropped my phone when I ran into the bathroom and I froze again. It didn’t matter, it shouldn’t. I needed to confront him anyways. I needed to tell him that Hannah wasn’t coming and she never planned to come. I took a deep breath and mustered up whatever courage I had left and left the bathroom after quickly drying my face with my sweater sleeve.

Puffing my chest up and holding my head high I approached the guy at his table. He had an amused look on his face which almost made my confidence deflate. Before I could say anything, he held my phone up and smirked? He wagged the phone in the air and then placed it on the table and slid it across to me. Then he motioned for me to take a seat catching me off guard. I almost took his offer but shook myself out of my star struck mind and continued to stand. “It seems you understand the situation now, right?” I asked and his left brow rose in curiosity, the two beauty marks following. He leaned into his crossed arm that laid on the table waiting for me to continue. “My older sister Hannah, she’s the one you’re looking for but I’m sorry to say that she won’t be coming. She wanted me to lie to you but here’s the truth, she doesn’t like you, okay. She went on a trip with her rich boyfriend to the summeryist place on the planet. She won’t be coming back until next week so don’t wait for her. Just, leave her alone otherwise you’re going to be heartbroken. Thank you for my phone but um yeah. She doesn’t like you,” I finished off weakly. Why did he have to look so amazing?

I closed my eyes, holding my feelings back and bracing myself from any impact knowing that something was going to happen. I waited but then suddenly, “Summeryist?” he asked with a smile in his voice. Slowly I opened my eyes, making sure that if he was going to hit me, this wasn’t a way to make me see him doing it. When my eyes were finally wide open, I looked at him waiting for him to say anything else but it seemed he sincerely was curious about the word.

I looked at him confused, “Yes, summeryist. The most summer like place,” I explained and he chuckled as his head dropped down from amusement. “Are you okay?” I asked and his head rose and his eyes questioned me. “You’re not going to shoot bad words at me or slap me? You know, I pretty much threw you to the curb for my sister,” I explained and he laughed loudly, his laugh and smile shooting an arrow into my heart. I hiccupped shocked by his reaction and he laughed harder which made me hiccup more. His laughter was like music to my ears.

“Why would I do that?” he asked. “You’re just the messenger,” he said catching me more off guard. My eyes fluttered open and closed trying to understand this guy.

“I need to sit,” I said feeling as though all my energy was drained from me. This reaction was way off from what I was expecting. I sighed and sat, placing my face into my arms that laid on the table. “I’m missing something, here right?” I asked mainly to myself but he answered me.

“Why would you be missing something? You finished your job, right?” he asked and I nodded my head my face still buried in my arm. “Are you busy?” he asked and I shook my head. “Can you possibly join me then?” I froze. Did he just ask me out? Did my sister’s admirer just ask me out?

I lifted my head and looked up at him, confused by his words and action. “Are you okay?” I asked again, this time reaching over the table and pinching and stretching out his cheek. “Are you real?” I asked as I continued pinching then poking his cheek. It was only after he cleared his throat that I realized what I was doing. My eyes widened and I released his face from my hands and covered my face with them. “Oh gosh, what am I doing?” I said as I slapped myself, which seemed to have amused him. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” I said as I bowed hitting my head on the table in the process. It wasn’t necessarily intentional of me to do that but I really needed it so I did nothing to lessen the pain.

“Are you okay?” he asked and I nodded my head. He chuckled and sighed. It was silent for a couple of minutes as I continued to stay in my position, my head on the table. Then he finally spoke. “You never answered my question.” My eyes fluttered in confusion and I rose my head to look at him. I tilted my head slightly to the right, examining his being. Was this person really a person? “So, is that a yes or a no?” he asked but I didn’t answer. Instead I continued to look at him trying to figure him out. Who was this guy? “Since you won’t say anything and I’m on a scheduled time, I’m just going to take your silence as a yes,” he suddenly said and stood from his seat, dragging me behind him.

“Woah, hold up,” I said pulling him back to stop him. “Where are we going?” I asked.

“So it was a yes,” he said completely ignoring my question, smiling sweetly with his brilliantly bright white teeth showing. I had to stop myself from melting to the ground. “It’s okay, don’t worry, I won’t do anything bad to you,” he chuckled and it made me recover from my melting point and instead filled me with concern. What stranger says that after being kicked to the curb by another stranger?

~~

“Just close your eyes,” he begged and I shook my head. “Please, I prepared all of this for your sister, the least you can do is finish this date with me. Do it in her place,” he said sadly and I sighed, agreeing to closing my eyes.

“What are you doing?” I asked as he seemed to have slipped something over my head.

“It’s just a blindfold, just in case you don’t listen and keep your eyes closed,” he reassured me and I took a deep breath, allowing him to continue to place the blindfold on. “Hold my hand,” he whispered into my ear and my body shivered from his deep voice. “Sorry,” he apologized and I shook my head telling him it was okay. He slipped his hand into mine and we began walking. His hand was bigger than mine but they fit perfectly together. His grip was strong and with my eyesight being blocked, my sense of smell grew and he smelt like a new book underneath his manly cologne. I love the smell of a new book. I could hear his steps too. A smile displayed itself upon my lips and I squeezed his hand tighter. “What are you smiling at?” he asked.

“You smell like a new book underneath that manly cologne, I like that,” the words formed and suddenly I was regretting them. He chuckled and I tried not to cringe at my own words.

“Thank you,” he said his smile present in his voice. I gave a weak smile and a fake chuckle, embarrassed at my own words. “We’re close,” he suddenly said and I tightened my grip on his hold feeling a little scared but excited

“Where are you taking me?” I asked, my breath picking up. Suddenly the blindfold was pulled off and it took a while for my eyes to adjust but we were in an amusement park. An empty amusement park, but the rides were still on. I must’ve missed the sounds of the rides because I was focusing on the sound of his walking. I looked at him confused.

“Do you like it?” he asked and I just continued to look at him confused. “Your sister likes amusement parks so I reserved this park just for the two of us for the night but, yeah, you know what happened,” he said answering my questioned look.

“I’m not a big fan of amusement parks. I’m afraid of heights, and I’ve never really ridden a ride before.” For just a moment I forgot that this date, in my place, was for my sister and not for me. No one cared to take me on a date. “Sorry,” I apologized.

“No, I’m sorry. If I knew, I wouldn’t have asked you to come with me,” he said and for some reason it felt like he was breaking up with me. I held back my tears. Why was I getting all emotional? This date wasn’t even supposed to be with me.

“No, it’s okay. I shouldn’t have agreed to it. I’ll go. Thank you anyways.” It took some effort to make my voice work without cracking. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat and gave a weak smile before turning to walk away.

“Wait,” he said as he grabbed my hand to stop me. “I don’t regret asking you to come with me though and since you’re here already, why don’t I be the first person to introduce you to your first ride. I’ll be by your side if you’re afraid.” I closed my eyes and regained my composure. Faking a smile, I agreed and let him lead me to a ride.

“Are you sure this ride is stable?” I asked my voice quivering. “Should I close my eyes or keep them open? I heard that if you close your eyes it’s worse but I don’t know what’s worse, being able to see or not being able to see? I don’t know?! Oh my gosh, I’m sorry I’m rambling. I ramble when I get nervous.” I took a deep breath trying hard not to hyperventilate and unknowingly I had wrapped my arm around his and was squeezing it tightly.

“You sure got a grip there,” he said chuckling at my actions.

“Sorry,” I apologize loosening my grip but he grabbed my hand and squeezed them.

“It’s okay. It’s your first time, and plus, I have a friend who’s worse than you with this. He won’t even go on the ride anymore after his first time,” he chuckled and I gave a fake chuckle back.

“That sounds reassuring,” I joked and he just laughed at me.

“Do you trust me?” he asked and I shook my head. We just met today, how could I trust him? “Okay, just trust me. Like you did with the blindfold, okay?” he asked and I gulped.

“Oh, okay,” I said unsure about the whole situation. He just smiled, his eyes almost disappearing as he did so. His smile made me smile, even though it was a weak one. “Thank you,” I said and he smiled bigger, making my heart flutter more than it could handle. I took in a deep breath and suddenly the ride was moving. It started out slow and as it began going up, my breath began to pick up and my grip on his arm tightened. I was hyperventilating.

“Hey, you’re okay, I’m right here,” he tried reassuring but when the ride rushed down the steep slope I began shouting and I held him tightly as though I would break his arm. Not knowing it, I chose to close my eyes and I could no longer scream. Instead I was holding tightly onto his arm with my eyes closed, my stomach turning every time the ride would change course. It was thrilling.

“We’re here,” he said through his smile. I opened my eyes and I hadn’t realized that I was holding my breath. I let it go and took deep breaths. “Are you okay?” he asked trying not to laugh. I looked up at him with judging eyes.

“Don’t make fun of me,” I scolded and he lifted his hands up in defeat.

“I wasn’t planning too,” he smiled softly and playfully. It was hard to stay mad at him. I sighed and we got out of the ride. “So how did you like it?” he asked and I pondered on the thought.

“I don’t really remember anything that happened,” I answered honestly and he bursted out laughing. “Ha-ha, okay laugh, I don’t care. Yes, I don’t remember anything but hey, I at least rode my first ride, right?” I try and he just nodded his head as he tried holding his laughter back. I rolled my eyes at him as I hit his arm. “Your kind of mean, you know that?” I say and he just smiles as he nods his head.

“Here,” he says as he reaches for my hair. “Let me fix it.” He starts to smooth out my short hair and my heart flutters for the hundredths time with him. The feeling of his hands brushing my hair felt so right, until he looked down at me and ruffled my hair. Way to break a moment.

“Hey!” I shout and he just laughs as he begins running away. “Come back here you!” I shout after him as I begin to chase him. He runs towards the bumper cars and gets into one.

“Come on,” he says, “Let’s see who wins,” he challenged me. I scoff.

“You’re on!” I shout and pull my sweater off. Despite the cold winter, my body was feeling warm from being scared, from the things he did, and chasing him. As soon as I sat in one of the carts, the game was on. We started bumping into each other and chasing each other around, having so much fun. It was like I was a kid again.

~~

“Aren’t you cold?” he asked and I looked down. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt with a thermo underneath so I was kind of set. The sweater was just an addition to the warmth.

“It’s okay. I’m not that cold, actually I like it,” I answer my ice cream.

“You’re really different from your sister you know that?” he said unknowingly making me a little sad. He just smiled as he walked in front of me. That’s right, this date was supposed to be with her. I swallow the ice cream and take a deep breath. You shouldn’t think of much anyway Cress. This is only to make him feel okay about being dumped by your sister. I sighed and caught up with him.

“The last ride, the last planned ride,” he said as he suddenly stopped making me bump into him. My eyebrows furrowed at his sudden stop and I looked up at him then followed his eyes. It was the Ferris wheel. “Have you ever ridden one?” he asked and I gulped.

“Yes, but like I said, I’m afraid of heights. I mean I don’t mind it much but I’m still scared of it,” I answer. “I’ve ridden it plenty of times but still it’s scary.” I remember the many times of riding them and Hannah, being the mean older sister, kept moving the cart back and forth. “Just, if we go on there, please don’t move the cart back and forth. I hated how Hannah always did that when we rode together.” He looked down at me and rose his eyebrows curious at what tales was to come of that story. I just shook my head. “They’re kind of long stories. I’d rather not tell you. Let’s just hurry it up,” I say and walk ahead of him.

Sighing loudly, I took a deep breath and stepped into the cart, trying to find all the courage in the world to not do something stupid in front of him. “Do you trust me?” he suddenly asked.

“What?” I asked.

“Do you trust me?” he asked again.

“I guess, since you’ve pretty much asked me that a lot today,” I answer and he chuckles making the butterflies in my stomach go berserk. He slides beside me making the cart move and I begin to panic.

“Keep your eyes on me okay?” he says as I try not to panic about the moving cart that started moving higher up the wheel. I nod crazily and stared into his dark eyes. “Okay, enough, I know you understand now,” he said placing both hands on my face to stop my head from nodding. I blinked furiously as I looked into his eyes. “Just focus on me okay and this ride will be over soon.” I nodded. “You know, we know your sister’s name but we don’t even know each other’s name. What’s your name?” he asked as he held my face to continue staring at him. He never took his eyes off mine but my eyes wondered around his face.

“Crescent, but you can call me Cress,” I answer.

“Hi Crescent, or Cress. I’m Jae Bum, but you can call me JB. Guess we both have nicknames huh?” he chuckled and I watched as his head tilts down slightly and his lips curl up. I smile back and I focus on the two beauty marks above his left eye.

“Do you like these?” I asked as I brush my fingers over them. Lost in the moment I didn’t even realize what I was doing. He just chuckled and removing one hand from my face he grabbed my hand and slid it back down. “Sorry,” I apologize shyly.

“Their okay I guess. Really unique,” he answers. I place my hand on his arm that has his hand still on my face. He looks down at me confused.

“Um, I’m okay now. You don’t have to do that anymore,” I say hating myself for saying it but it just seems as though we’re moving too fast. We just barely found out each other’s names.

“Okay. So why did your parents call you Crescent?” he asked.

“They like the moon? I don’t know. My mom says it’s because of a book she read and that the name is beautiful just like I am. But of course, who believes that,” I say not realizing that he’d give an answer.

“I do. You’re beautiful Cress,” he says and my cheeks turn bright red and I feel my body overheat. I clear my throat and look away from him. Suddenly the door opens and we realize we’re back at the beginning. I quickly stumble out of the cart and wait for him as he casually with suave exited the cart. How could someone look so graceful doing anything, doing everything?

~~

“So, this is the end of the date I believe. The reservation for dinner I made with your sister was taken for someone else so I’m sorry I didn’t take you to eat,” he apologized. I shook my head.

“It’s okay. Tonight was different, but it was fun. Thank you,” I reassured him. He smiled at me as we stood in front of the Starbucks in which we first met.

“I would take you home but I don’t know where you live.”

“It’s okay, I can walk home from here alone. Thank you again and I’m sorry about my sister,” I say trying not to get myself too carried away with the fantasy. He looked down at me with his arms crossed. “What?” I asked.

“I may be mean but I never let a lady walk home alone,” he answered making me chuckle. “Please, it’s the least I can do. You made the night better for me. If you hadn’t agreed to come on this date with me then I would’ve been at home feeling defeated.” I looked up at him and sighed. Why was he so handsome and such a gentleman?

“No, really I’m fine,” I try but he gives me a defeated puppy face. I sigh and close my eyes. How was I to deny such a cute pleading face? “F-fine,” I mumble and his face lights up. “Home is this way,” I say and start walking ahead of him.

“So, what else did you think about the date?” he asked and I shrugged. If my sister wasn’t on my mind most of the time I probably would’ve enjoyed it but this wasn’t for me. I was just a substitute.

“It was fun, like I said before,” I say hiding half the truth. He gave me a curious look but decided to leave it at that. After I answered, we walked side by side in comfortable silence. It just feels so right when I’m with him but I don’t even know anything about him besides his name. I stuffed my hand into my sweater pocket, suddenly feeling self-conscious of my attire. I wore an oversized sweater, sweat pants and tennis shoes to my kind of first date. Why didn’t I see this before?

“I like your outfit,” JB suddenly said as though he had read my mind.

“What?” I asked scared and confused how he had read my mind. I was just feeling self-conscious of myself.

“I said, I like your outfit. It really suits the weather and you look like a cute squash in it,” he said chuckling at his comment. How was I supposed to feel about this comment? Was it a good one or a bad one? Was he teasing me? “It’s a compliment,” he answered my thoughts again. I stopped and looked at his back. When he realized I stopped, he stopped and turned to face me. “Did something happen?” he asked

“Are you sure you’re human? I mean, sometimes when you speak you just, I don’t know. Are you human?” I asked and he just smiled at my ridiculous question. “I’m being serious here,” I said sternly only to make him laugh.

“Yes, I’m human. It’s getting late so it would be nice to get you home before it gets too dark am I correct?” he said making me sigh. I’ll get my answer soon because for sure he was not human. No human could ever be this good looking and a gentleman or make me feel this comfortable with them. I looked sternly at him and he rolled his eyes as he approached me, taking my hand in his, surprising me, and continued walking. My face lit up like a red light. This was weird and different but I liked it.

“Thank you for walking me to my door but you didn’t have to really. No person would ever want to kidnap me,” I said in my natural non-confident self. Jae bum sighed.

“You really are different from your sister,” he said throwing me off. My brows rose at his sudden comment. “You really need to stop beating yourself up.” I looked at him confused.

“I’m sorry that I don’t have confidence in myself like my sister does in herself. I’m not as pretty as she or as outspoken as she but I do like who I am despite all my flows, I’m just not confident with expressing it,” I spoke a little angry at his comment. I sighed and cleared my throat. “Thank you again for walking me but I think this is the part where I go inside and we never talk to each other again.” I don’t know why I was feeling angry, especially after taking such a long time processing him comparing me to my sister.

“Wait, Cress. I didn’t mean it in a bad way,” he tried but I didn’t let him. “Cress,” this time he took my wrist in his hand. “What I’m trying to say is that you’re a beautiful individual and you shouldn’t hide it. If I was being honest you are much better than your sister, personality wise anyways.” I stood in the doorway listening and letting the words sink in. My cheeks had decided to warm themselves with his words and my heart had decided to run with them. With my back still facing him I closed my eyes to regain my composure. Why was I so mad at him? Why is my emotions stirring for a stranger who I just met today? I hate not knowing.

“I’m sorry,” I apologize. “I don’t know why I’m angry but about us parting, I was being series.” I turned to face him and smiled. “Thank you, really. Today was different from the others and I actually had fun but I know my reality and this was just me substituting for my sister and this was my way of apologizing in her place. JB, if you still have feelings for my sister, you should let them go and as for me, it’s best if we don’t step over that stranger line and become friends. It’ll just be weird for my sister and me. We should just stay as strangers.” I don’t know if that last part was meant for him or for me but I said them and it made me feel like I understood where I needed to stand.

“No,” he said bluntly.

“What?” I asked at his sudden ‘no’.

“I want to get to know you better, let’s be friends,” he said with a soft smile making my heart flutter. Seriously, I probably should be dead with all the work my heart is given with this man. “I’ll text you later and we can talk some more to get to know each other more, okay? Have a good night and be safe.” With that he began walking backwards as he left me in my doorway stunned at his words. The things this man was doing to me. He waved and gave another deadly smile then left. How was I supposed to comprehend this?

After that day, Jae Bum texted and called a lot, bothering me mostly but I allowed him, however we never met up after that day. We connected mostly through texting, him more than me and me trying my best to be okay with this new friend. It was just so different and as we continued to talk, my feelings began to grow and deep down I liked it a lot but I also felt like I betrayed my sister in a way. Although sometimes when we were talking, I’d forget about my sister and how Jae Bum and I had met. Instead I’d laugh at his stupid jokes and we’d indulge ourselves in talks about our favorite shows or movies or we’d indulge ourselves in small brain games. Even though the days we talked were little, I felt like I knew everything about him already. I could feel myself falling deeper in love with him and I knew it was dangerous but I couldn’t help it.

~~~~~~

“What happened? You came home early,” I asked. It had only been 4 days.

“That freaking jerk, ugh! He brought his friends with him too so I bailed on him and stayed at a hotel for a while before catching a cab back home,” she answered disgusted. “I’m such an idiot,” she scolded herself. “I need to go somewhere. I’ll be back,” she suddenly said grabbing her keys and hurriedly rushed to the door.

“Where are you going? Hannah!” I shouted but she didn’t answer. “Let me go with you! I’ll drive since you probably won’t be able to drive in your state of mind.” Hannah didn’t reply with words, instead she threw her keys to me. The whole ride to wherever she wanted to go, she kept mumbling to herself and scolding herself.

Sitting in the car waiting for Hannah I felt bored so I turned the stereo on and blasted the music. I began shouting the lyrics and going with the flow of the sad song. Yes, a sad song. I was so into it until I saw someone familiar come out of the house with Hannah, the place Hannah had made me drive to. Trying to see who the familiar person was I squinted my eyes and when I could clearly see who it was my hands on the wheels dropped down. I was in disbelief. Why was I feeling this disbelief? I should’ve known. I scoffed at myself and turned the engine off. I watched as the two of them talked and I began laughing. Not at them but at myself. I had let my fantasies draw themselves in my mind and now I was heartbroken. I laughed and hit my head against the wheel, making the horn honk. Scaring myself I looked up and out the front window and found the two of them staring at me. JB, his eyes, looked surprised. Realizing that he had noticed me I quickly did the stupidest thing, I jumped out of the car and quickly walked away. I probably should’ve used the car but nope, I fast walked away instead. Why did I follow her? It would’ve been better if I had just stayed home and was oblivious to the situation.

“Cress!” It was JB. I scoffed, pretending as though he was a fool. I didn’t turn around, instead I continued walking. “Cress!” he shouted but again I didn’t care to give him what he wanted. I should’ve known. I should’ve known better. Why did I ever feel like something could ever happen? “Cress,” he said out of breath as he had caught up to me and had grabbed my hand turning me around. “Wait, let me explain,” he said and I just rolled my eyes.

“There’s nothing to explain. You’ve been chasing my sister for a long time now, I get it. You’ve always wanted her and now you have her. Just forget it okay. Whatever happened, let’s just pretend it didn’t happen. Hold on, wait, what did happen? I don’t know you. Who are you sir?” I try pretending. I sighed and pulled my hand out of his grip. “JB, I know my place now, I know it now so please, just, just when you’re with her, pretend you don’t know me okay? It’s best for you and I that way.”

“Cress, it’s not like that. I mean yes, I did like your sister and I did want to take her on that date but..” he started but I didn’t allow him too.

“That day, that date, no it wasn’t a date. Whatever it was, I never should’ve agreed. I mean, I should’ve known my sister. I should’ve known that she would never intentionally turn a hot guy like you down. I never should’ve said yes. If I hadn’t said yes, then I wouldn’t have been in this type of situation. I shouldn’t have agreed to allow us to become friends and for me to grow close to you. I’m nothing but a fool to allow myself to let you convince me to get to know you. I know that we were just trying to be friends but I allowed my fantasy to play out and I, I fell for you. I should’ve known, no I already knew I was putting myself up for heartbreak. I even told you that when I first met you, ha, ironic isn’t it. I told you to stay away from her and yet I should’ve said that to myself about any admirer of hers,” I scoffed and tears were fighting to break out. “I should’ve known she wouldn’t intentionally turn you down unless she had a reason to like that stupid trip,” my voiced cracked and the battle between my tear ducts and my tears had found its victor. The tears glided down my face and my voice was no longer strong to stand by itself. “Just, just leave me alone JB, I can’t do this. I’m a romanticist and I should’ve known myself better. I knew I was falling for you but I couldn’t stop, but now I know. I know the difference between my stupid hope and reality. You, you belong with her. I love her too much to hurt her, I’m sorry.” Swallowing the last of my pride I took a deep shaking breath and turned away from him. The dark night along with my tear-filled eyes made everything hard to see, especially a racing car that for some idiotic reason didn’t have their headlights on.

“Cress!” JB suddenly shouted. He grabbed me and pulled me back with him onto the sidewalk before the zooming car could hit us. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I answered as I tried calming myself from the adrenaline and the sobs. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I rested my head on his chest. Next time I’m not having an argument with someone near the road. We laid there for a few more seconds as I tried regaining my composure and it was only when I felt his fast beating heart that I realized that I had landed on top of him. My eyes widened in shock and I quickly fought to stand up but my hand slipped and I fell back down onto his chest. “I’m sorry,” I say and try again to get up from his chest but he pulls me back down, this time my face was close to his. He had us looking into each other’s eyes. “We should get up,” my words were slow and my breathing a little unsteady but he just stared up at me. “The ground is dirty and I’m feeling better now” I try reasoning but he doesn’t let me go or listen. “JB.”

“You have pretty eyes,” he interrupted catching me off guard as he stared into my eyes as if they would disappear if he looked away. “I should’ve told you that on the ferris wheel,” he said as he brushed my short hair back.

“JB, we need to..” I began as I could feel myself falling for his words. He couldn’t be a human being. How could he hypnotise me even when I already knew nothing could ever happen between us.

“Can we just stay like this for a while?” he asked suddenly and my cheeks began to burn red.

“This is an awkward position, plus the ground is not comfortable,” I tried but he just gave a half smile and my heart fluttered. I looked into his eyes and he seemed truly sincere about his words, but then I remembered why we were in this position. I closed my eyes and sighed. No matter how I felt, or what we did that day or our small conversations on the phone, he was still my sisters admirer and I never should’ve went on that date with him or agreed to become friends with him. The tears began to rush back and they began falling onto his face. My body shook from withholding my sobs and I gave up from holding myself up. I fell into his chest and just cried. As he fixed himself to sit up, he helped me up too, allowing me to continue to cry into his chest. I shouldn’t have but this was the last time I was going to see him. I took in his new book scent and allowed to drain myself in it for the last time.

When my tears had dried and I felt like I couldn’t cry anymore, I pulled away from his hold and stood up. No more playing fantasy, it’s time to face the fact that the man that I had found myself falling in love with is someone else's. “Thank you, for saving me,” my voice cracks. I hate crying. I cleared my throat. “We should go back,” I say wiping the dried tears as best as possible with the sleeve of my sweater. I offered my hand to help him get off the cold ground but he didn’t take it. He just sat there staring at me. “JB, my sister is probably waiting for us and she’ll think something's happened, I don’t want to worry her.” He didn’t listen, instead he continued to stay in his position. “JB,” I tried again. “Hey!” I yelled.

“If I take your hand it and decided to go back with you to your sister, you’ll only still think that I like her and it’s not fair to me,” he said catching me off guard. “I let you throw your tantrum about me not liking you the least you can do is allow me to explain that you’re so stupid.” My eyes widen at his remark.

“Wow, thanks for calling me stupid. That appeal was very convincing, yeah. Now I totally want to listen to you,” I said sarcastically.

“Yes, you’re stupid. You’re the most ridiculously idiotic person I have ever met,” he added and it stung. Is this how he saw me? Stupid. A selfish crybaby. I just stood there feeling hurt, waiting for him to continue because then maybe it’ll help me disconnect my feelings from him. “I don’t like your sister, at least not anymore. After meeting you, after getting to know you, I found that I had liked the wrong sister from the start, granted I hadn’t met you until after I met your sister but that isn’t the point. The point is, is that I like you Cress. I like the way you smile and the way your eyes look and the way you feel so comfortable around me. I like your witty mind and your sense of smell. It wasn’t because I felt like I needed a substitute that day to fill in your sister’s spot. To be honest, if it had been someone else’s sister I probably would’ve been okay with the rejection and just left but you were different. You were interesting and that was why I asked you. I could’ve just easily cancelled that reservation but I wanted to get to know you so I asked you on a date. Cress, from the moment I saw you, I felt this connection. I know that’s so ridiculous and fairytale like but it’s true. When I looked into your eyes, I say myself in you. I felt like I could relate to you and after getting to know you this past couple of days, I totally understand why I felt that way. I like you Cress, I really do and that’s what I told your sister.”

I stood there quietly, trying to soak in all the words he said. The emptiness inside me suddenly began to stir and the words finally computed in my mind, making the emptiness fill up with embarrassment and my cheeks began to display this feeling. A small smile painted itself across his face and he stood up, taking my face into his hand. “I like you, don’t ever forget that,” he said before placing a chaste kiss on my lip and then walking back towards the direction of his house as though nothing had happened. I froze in my spot. What was I supposed to do? I couldn’t say anything? I was too surprised by his actions and words to even comprehend the situation. “Cress!” he shouted for me from a good distance away from me. I snapped out of my frozen state. He motioned for me to move but my legs had planted itself into the ground and decided movement wasn’t an option. Jae Bum sighed and chuckled to himself before jogging back to me and taking my hand in his. I looked into his eyes and the two beauty marks on his left eye caught my attention. He gave a soft smile then asked “Do you trust me?”