3- The Truth

I Cheated on Byun Baekhyun

The fresh and young looking Baekhyun was walking fast as he held a bouquet of flowers in his hand. He was on his way to meet someone despite the sun going down and couldn't hide his excitement. After walking for a couple more minutes, he finally arrived in front of a cafe and stopped to stare at the name of the cafe with a bright smile. He felt his heart pounding with excitement yet nervousness as he took the time to take a deep breath in order to calm himself down. 

Just as he was going to enter the cafe, he suddenly stopped once again while staring at someone or something through the large windows of the cafe. The smile and joy on his face slowly disappeared as the grip on the flowers in his hand began to loosen. There, inside the cafe, was a man standing in front of Mina with one hand on her face and the other on the side of her head, slowly leaning in towards her. 

Baekhyun immediately opened his eyes and heard his alarm going off. Instead of getting up right away to turn off the alarm, he continued to lay down on his bed while staring up at the ceiling. Why did he have this dream? Why? 

Instead of waking up in the morning feeling stress free and ready to start his day, he felt the total opposite. Ever since the controversy that occured a few days ago, everything began to go downhill from there. And to make it worst, he just had to have that dream. 

 

Baekhyun was sitting in the back seat of his van while solemly staring out the window. Meanwhile, his manager was sitting in the passenger's seat and staring at him through the driver's mirror. It's been a while since he's seen Baekhyun this quiet and gloomy. The last time he remembers seeing Baekhyun this way, was well, it will be told later. 

"You remember what to say right? You know you cannot mess this up," the manager finally said after a long silence.

Despite hearing what his manager said, Baekhyun continued to remain quiet as he stared out the window. His mind was focused on something else rather than the concern of what he was expected to do in a moment. He couldn't stop thinking about the dream that he had this morning. Again, why? Why did he dream of that?

After a half hour drive, they finally arrived at their destination. But despite arriving, Baekhyun and his manager remained in the car.

"This is very crucial for the company, and especially for you. It wasn't easy to get you on this show and I'm sure you're aware of that. Most likely they will bring up the controversy, so just remember what to say. Got it?" the manager asked as he looked at Baekhyun through the driver's mirror.

But just like before, Baekhyun continued to stay silent as he stared out the window with a poker face. There was no exact telling what was running through his mind and how he was dealing with his feelings. 

"Please Baekhyun, stick with the lines. We cannot risk for you to say anything else! The company is already suffering enough," the manager pleaded.

Baekhyun continued to stare out the window before finally letting out a sigh. "Got it." He then slid the door open and stepped out without saying anything further, as if there was anything else to say anyways. 

But despite his words, his manager was still anxious and even afraid. Was Baekhyun really going to stick with his words?

 

"You worked really hard while filming this movie correct? It was said that you even got a fever but refused to stop filming," Jun Hyunmoo asked, who was the host for the talkshow. 

"That's right. I didn't want to slow down the production and become a burden for everyone who was working so hard," Baekhyun said with a smile, who was surprisingly acting different in front of the camera. As expected of a top celebrity who was probably trained and taught for these kind of things. 

"I see, it's understable," Hyunmoo stated. "Now Baekhyun, there's an issue that I want to address, and I hope you are willing to talk about it."

Baekhyun swallowed nervously as he glanced down at the ground. He didn't expect the question to come up so soon. 

"Lately, you have been involved in a controversy that caused a lot of your fans to be upset. You stated in another talkshow that you've never had a first love or fallen in love before, to be exact. However, there was a photo that was going viral of you and your alleged ex-girlfriend. Why did you lie?" Hyunmoo asked. 

Baekhyun remained silent as he thought about the question he was asked. He had already expected it to come up, but why did he still seem so taken aback and hesitant about what to say? Along with Baekhyun, the audience and whole set where the show was being filmed joined in on the silence as they awaited for his explanation. It wasn't going to be easy to recover from this controversy, so they were half-heartedly looking forward to what excuse Baekhyun may come up with. Meanwhile, Baekhyun's manager was nervously and anxiously watching everything from behind the set, praying that Baekhyun would stick with the lines like they practiced earlier before.

Finally, Baekhyun raised his head to look at Hyunmoo who was waiting for an answer, along with the rest of the staff and audience. 

"Because she cheated on me," Baekhyun replied.

Everybody along with Hyunmoo was silent as they heard this unexpected answer from Baekhyun. She cheated on him? Baekhyun's manager, however, closed his eyes in distress because Baekhyun was already saying something different than he was expected to. 

"Can you... Explain a little more?" Hyunmoo asked as he sat up straight in his seat. 

"It's correct that the girl in the photo was my ex-girlfriend. But the reason why I denied that I have fallen in love before was because I didn't want to be reminded of her."

"Because she cheated on you, correct?" Filling in the space. 

"That's correct,"

"I hope you don't mind, but can you explain a little more because from what I understand, your image was tarnished eversince the controversy. In order to clean up this misunderstanding, perhaps you could tell us a little more about your first love?" Hyunmoo asked who was sitting at the edge of his seat, realizing that he was catching something big. 

For a moment, Baekhyun was hesitant about what to say and wondered if it was the right path for him to take in order to recover from the hole he was currently in. However, he decided to proceed since it seemed like there was nothing else to lose by this point. "She... Was someone who truly meant a lot to me, and we were very happy. And despite my acting career, I did whatever I could to find time for her. However, I guess that wasn't enough for her that she eventually cheated on me behind my back."

Everybody continued to remain silent as they were still processing what Baekhyun explained. Baekhyun's manager was anxiously biting his knuckles while trying to read the expressions on people's face to see if it worked or not. 

"Wow, now I can see why he lied. I would do the same too. Poor Baekhyun," one of the staff members said who was behind the set with the manager.

Baekhyun's manager slowly turned to look at this staff member and then at the others who were around him. The anxious and nervous expression soon went away when he realized that the disappointed and angry face expression of people around him were changing into a more pitiful and understanding. 

"It's... Working?" he asked himself in his head.

 

Mina was working in the cafe like usual and cleaning up a table of a customer that had just left. And like before, the group of girls who were huge fans of Baekhyun were talking among themselves about Baekhyun's explanations. 

"Poor thing! How could we ever doubt him!" one girl said.

"He didn't want to be reminded of his first love! Whoever this girl is that broke his heart is a total jerk."

"She probably regrets it now for cheating on him now that she sees him doing well. I would hate to be her,"

Mina was unable to clean the table anymore as she couldn't help but listen to what these group of girls were talking about. She didn't want to be bother by this, but there was no way to avoid it. The group of girls then stood up and were making their way out the cafe while still talking about Baekhyun. 

"Thank you for coming," Mina said as she forced herself to go back to work and not think about anything else. 

Just then...

"Doesn't that girl look familiar?" one of the girls asked as she just so happen to take a look at Mina before stepping out. 

"Who? The waitress?"

"Yeah. I feel like I've seen her somewhere before," the same girl continued. 

"Now that you mention it... She does," the friend said before she took out her phone to look at something. "Hey... Look at this,"

Her two other friends leaned in to look at whatever she was looking at on her phone. 

"Doesn't this girl in the picture with Baekhyun look like her?" she asked as she took another look at Mina.

One of the friends then took out their phone and pointed it towards Mina and was preparing to take a picture of her without her noticing. 

Meanwhile, Mina was unaware of what was happening because she was still cleaning up tables and thinking about other things. Suddenly, she noticed a crowd around the entrance of the door and looked up to see who it was. 

The girl who was pointing the phone at Mina, quickly snatched an unexpected photo because she didn't expect Mina to look at them. 

"Oh my gosh! They do look alike!" one of the girls said as she stared at Mina in disbelief. 

"It can't be. Why would our Baekhyunnie date someone like her?' one of the girls said before she left the cafe followed by the rest of her friends.

Mina was confused about what those girls were doing near the entrance of the door. She didn't realize what they doing the whole time but decided to not think too much about it. She had other things on her mind that was driving her crazy. 

~End of Chapter 3~