Pick Up Baekhyun

I Cheated on Byun Baekhyun

Chapter 24- Pick up Baekhyun

       The emergency workers and Mina got into the back of the ambulance while her dad was laying unconsciously on the stretcher. 

"I'll meet you there at the hospital," Chanyeol told Mina as he stood outside the ambulance. 

"Alright," Mina said with a panic look in her eyes. 

The doors then closed and the emergency sirens came on as the ambulance speeded away. Chanyeol never expected for this to happen when all he wanted to do was return a photo to Mina. He's never experienced anything like this before, however, he was able to act quickly by calling for help and caring for Mina's dad for the time being. 



Chanyeol quickly got into his car and drove away after buckling his seatbelt. He then began to call someone on his phone while driving because there was no time to waste. This person had to be aware about Mina's dad right now. 

"Come on Baek. Pick up," Chanyeol said anxiously as he continued to wait for Baekhyun to pick up. 

However, Chanyeol was lead to the voicemail meaning Baekhyun did not pick up. Why was he not picking up?!



Mina and the emergency workers finally arrived at the hospital with her dad who was on the stretcher. Nurses and doctors began to drag him away quickly in the stretcher because it was serious than it seemed. 

"Dad. Dad," Mina cried as she stood next to the stretcher while the nurses was dragging him. 

"Sorry, but we are going to need you to stay out here," one nurse said as she stopped Mina from going any further because they were heading to the emergency room to perform on him. 

Mina was left alone as she looked at her dad enter the emergency room with no idea of what the future holds. Everything happened so fast, and she still couldn't understand what happened. 

"Dad. Please be okay," Mina cried to herself. 

Afterall, her dad was the only family member she had left. Mina then took out her phone to make a phone call because she had to relay the unfortunate news to someone. 

"Baekhyun. Please, pick up," Mina cried as she closed her eyes. 

She needed Baekhyun more than anyone else at the moment. She wanted him to be by her side since she had nobody. She needed him to comfort her and tell her that everything will be alright. However, he was not picking up. 

"Why aren't you picking up?!" Mina cried in frustration, forgetting the fact that Baekhyun was in an audition. 

At the same moment, Chanyeol arrived at the hospital and saw Mina crying alone as all she could do is wait for now. Why was she alone? There should be someone by her side in a moment like this. 

Chanyeol slowly approached Mina as he continued to watch her cry. She was scared to death and worry for her dad, but there was nothing she could do, and Chanyeol saw this. Sadness filled his heart as all he could do is watch Mina cry. 

Chanyeol continued to slowly walk towards Mina as he debated about what to do in his mind. What should he do? Should he try to comfort Mina? But wait, was he in a position to do something like that? As much as he wanted to put his arms around Mina to console her, he didn't think he had the right to. Even in a situation like this, he thought about who he is to Mina. He is her friend. He is her boyfriend's bestfriend. Nothing more. This wasn't his job as a friend. That was his bestfriend's job. 

Chanyeol then decided to make another phone call to Baekhyun who didn't pick up the last time. He was pacing back and forth anxiously as he waited for Baekhyun to pick up. 

"Aish. Come on Baekhyun," Chanyeol said, also forgetting about what Baekhyun was doing. "Pick up," 

But just like before, Baekhyun failed to pick up at a time like this. Chanyeol was frustrated that Baekhyun wasn't picking up. His girlfriend's dad was in the hospital, and she needs him now! 

Chanyeol then looked back at Mina who was still waiting alone as all she could do was wait. He thought about what to do. Maybe he had to step up and comfort MinaIt shouldn't matter if they were friends. Because they are friends, Chanyeol should comfort her and tell her that everything will be alright. That's what friends are for right?

After debating in his mind for a minute or so, Chanyeol decided to do it. He slowly walked towards Mina with the mindset that he will console her.

"Mina," Chanyeol called. 

Mina turned around to see who it was, and saw that it was Chanyeol. 

"Chanyeol," Mina said as she stared at him with her red and bloated eyes. 

Chanyeol took a brief moment about what to do. He felt awkward and unsure about what to do next because he has never done anything like this before. 

"Any news yet about your dad?" Chanyeol awkwardly asked. Can we blame him for being this awkward?

"No," Mina said as she shook her head. 

"He'll be alright. I'm sure he will," Chanyeol stated. 

"I hope so too, but he didn't look too well and you saw it too," Mina started off as she closed her eyes. "How could this happen so suddenly?" 

Chanyeol saw that Mina was starting to become emotional and even feel guilty. It wasn't her fault that this happened. How could she have prevented it? Suddenly, tears began to roll down Mina's face because she was afraid and felt foolish. 

"I should have taken better care of him," Mina cried. "If only I took better care of him, then this could have been prevented,"

Chanyeol was unable to speak as all he could do was watch her cry. What should he do? Slowly, Chanyeol lifted his arm and put it around Mina's shoulders. He was stiff, and began to awkwardly pat Mina's shoulder to "comfort" her. Although it wasn't much and he probably wasn't helping, this was better than not doing anything at all. He thought that for now, he'll take his bestfriend's place and comfort Mina. And when Baekhyun learns about the news, he'll take his rightful position back..... Right?



For the next few hours, Chanyeol and Mina was sitting down in front of the emergency room while anxiously waiting for news from the doctors about Mina's dad's condition. Was he going to be okay? What happened to him? 

Mina had fallen asleep after feeling exhausted while Chanyeol was still up. He too was exhausted since it was getting late, but he forced himself to stay up just because the doctors could be coming out any minute now. He wanted Mina to rest in order to relax her mind since she was going through so much already, and there was a chance that there could be more coming.

Just as Chanyeol was thinking to himself, something unexpected happened. Due to Mina's exhaustion, her head tilted a couple times before landing on Chanyeol's shoulder and resting there. Chanyeol's eyes widened and his breathing stopped. He was taken aback by this because it was so sudden. What should he do? Mina's head was resting on his shoulder. Just then, he heard Mina breathing hard while she was still sleeping. Chanyeol couldn't help but lean his head forward a little and turn to look at Mina's face. She truly was exhausted.  

"I apologize for my bestfriend," Chanyeol suddenly said as he picked at his nails. 

She was exhausted, scared, broken, lost, etc., but the person she wanted the most wasn't there by her side. He wanted to say words to her that he wouldn't be able to when she was awake, so now was the time. 

"He can be stupid and blind sometimes," Chanyeol continued. "When he has his mind on something, he forgets about everything else around him. Just like when he was starting to like you, he forgot about me too," Chanyeol joked. "He's not a bad guy. He's foolish for not picking up his phone in a situation like this, but don't worry. I'll give him a good beating for you later,"

While Chanyeol was saying these words, Mina was still sleeping and resting her head on his shoulder. Even though Baekhyun was not here at the moment, Chanyeol believed that there was a good reason why he wasn't. He was still forgetting where Baekhyun was. 

Suddenly, a Doctor exited the emergency room, and it was the same doctor who was operating on Mina's dad. Chanyeol gently woke Mina up in which she slowly opened her eyes and took a moment to adjust her mind and eyes. 

"The doctor is here," Chanyeol calmly told her. 

Mina quickly looked at the doctor, and saw that indeed he was. She quickly ran to the doctor to hear the news of her dad's condition. 

"My dad! Is he okay?" Mina asked in a panic. 

For some reason, the doctor seemed hesitant. Chanyeol noticed this as he walked towards them. This wasn't looking good. 

"Your dad," the Doctor started off as he looked at Mina in the eyes. "Suffered from a heart attack,"

Mina felt her heart drop and was unable to say anything as the words ran through her ears and mind. 

"Is he... Okay?" Chanyeol asked worriedly. 

The doctor had an unsettling look on his face as he looked at Chanyeol and Mina. 

"He doesn't have much time left. Therefore, it is best to prepare your last words," the Doctor said as he put his hand on Mina's shoulder as a way of comfort. 

The doctor then walked away because there was not much he could say or do after trying for hours. The outcome was clear. 

Mina stayed still and silent as she was still trying the process the doctor's words in her mind. Did she hear correctly? Was this real? Suddenly, her eyes began to turn red as tears began to form in her eyes. This was real. Tears began to roll down her cheeks as she thought about the reality. 

Chanyeol stared at Mina and he too felt his heart was broken. He couldn't believe that this was happening. Mina began to cry uncontrollably as she thought about having to part ways with her dad. 

Realizing that this was serious, Chanyeol knew he couldn't stand by and do nothing anymore. He took a step towards Mina and wrapped his arms around her in order to properly comfort her this time. He put one arm around her and one hand behind her head as she cried in his chest. 

"Where are you Baekhyun," Chanyeol asked in his head.

 

~End of Chapter 24~

 

Author's Note: Hello! I just want to point out that this chapter connects to Chapter 19- The Day Baekhyun Got Cheated On. I didn't want to point it straight out in the story, but recall back to Chapter 19 when Baekhyun was receiving all those phone calls during his audition and so forth. Well, you know why Mina and Chanyeol was calling him so much!  Just wanted to point that out just in case some missed it. :)