A Dad's Last Smile

I Cheated on Byun Baekhyun

Chapter 22- A Dad's Last Smile

            It was still early in the morning, and darkness still dominated the sky. But despite this, Mina was already up and ready to go somewhere. She was dressed in a black dress with her hair well done, which was something that was rare to see. When she was done getting ready, she walked out of her apartment complex and was headed to her destination. But before she could even take a step, she saw someone leaning against the wall that she was passing by. It was none other than Chanyeol.

Chanyeol stood up straight when he saw Mina, and he had his hands in his pocket with a serious look on his face. He was also dressed formally by wearing a black suit and black tie along with black shoes. 

"I told you not to come," Mina said. 

"I want to come too," Chanyeol responded. 

"You don't have to keep worrying about me!" Mina said as she raised her voice. "I'm not a kid anymore,"

She didn't like the fact that Chanyeol was constantly worry about her. She appreciated it, but then she wanted him to worry about himself for now. She didn't need him by her side all the time. She wasn't a kid. She could care for herself. 

"Go back home, please. I want to be alone for today," Mina said with a calm voice this time. 

"I'm not coming with you to simply take care of you," Chanyeol suddenly said with a serious tone. "I was there to see your dad take his last breath. That's why I want to come along and pay respect to him," 

Mina was unable to say anything as she stared at Chanyeol in shock. She did not expect to hear that from him because she was being selfish the whole time. She thought that he only wanted to tag along in order to take care of her, but there was more to that this time. He wanted to actually visit her dad in order to show his respect since he was there when he took his last breath. 



Mina sat in the passenger's seat of Chanyeol's car, and they were on their way to visit her dad at the cemetary. While Chanyeol was keeping his eyes and focus on the road, Mina couldn't stop thinking about what Chanyeol said earlier. She felt bad and regretful for always pushing Chanyeol away when afterall, he was the one who was there for her when things were not going right. She then slowly turned her head to look at Chanyeol who was still driving, and it was the first time in a long time where she truly felt thankful to have him. She never appreciated him enough. 



[Flashback- 4 years ago]

       Mina was walking around campus since she was done with class for the day. While walking around, she was reading a text on her phone. 

"Sorry that I've been so busy lately. I have an audition today that I've been practicing a lot for. I promise that I'll make it up to you after. Be safe and stay warm. Talk to you later honey," the text from Baekhyun said. 

"This jerk," Mina playfully said to herself as she couldn't help but smile at his text. 

Although she was mad at first because Baekhyun has been so busy lately with auditions, this text made it all go away. She should have been understanding of Baekhyun who was determined to find a role in a movie in order to start his acting career. Just as Mina was thinking this to herself, someone stopped in front of her.

"Yo!" Chanyeol said as he held up his hand for a high five. 

"What class did you come from?" Mina asked as she high fived him. 

"History. Yuck," Chanyeol said. 

"What are you saying? History isn't even that bad," 

"I know, but the teacher is!"

"Aigoo," Mina said as she shook her head. "Anyways, I'll see you later,"

"What class are you heading to?" Chanyeol asked. 

"My favorite class. Home," Mina playfully said before she waved goodbye to him and left. 

Chanyeol didn't expect such a joke from Mina who was always bad at making jokes. He then took out his phone from his pocket to keep himself entertain for the time being as he walked across the campus. 

"Yo! I have an audition today so wish me luck bro. Kind of nervous, but I think I got this. Just a little tired since I barely got any sleep," Baekhyun's text said. 

"Good luck Baek! Don't mess up or else Mina is going to be disappointed," Chanyeol replied back as a joke. 

He then put his phone back in his pocket, but as he was doing so, he felt something in the same pocket. He took out whatever it was from his pocket, and saw that it was the picture of Mina and Baekhyun that Mina dropped a couple days ago. He meant to return it back to her, but forgot. Since he just got out of class and was free for now, he decided to return it back to Mina by dropping it off at her house. 



"Dad! I'm home!" Mina yelled as she took off her shoes at the front steps. 

"Oh my daughter! You're finally home!" her dad said with a warm smile as he hugged her tightly.

"Did you eat yet?" Mina asked. 

"No, I was just about to make food right now,"

"Let me help you! But first let me put my things away," Mina said with joy as she walked to her room. 

"Alright," her dad said with a bright smile as he watched her walk to her room. 

He then turned around to walk to the kitchen. But suddenly, something weird and unusual happened. Mina's dad began to slow down his steps and slightly bent down as he kept his hand on his chest. He was having a sharp pain in his chest that was hard to ignore or endure and making it difficult for him to breathe. 

"Alright dad! So what are we making?!" Mina said as she was walking out from her room. 

Mina's dad quickly stood up despite the pain, and acted as if nothing happened or the pain was never there. He then put on a smile to fool his daughter that nothing was wrong. 

"Whatever you like my dear," he replied with a warm and bright smile. 

Mina smiled happily at her father because she felt spoiled by him. She always felt happy whenever she saw the smile on her dad's face because afterall, that's who she got her beautiful smile from. However, if only she knew that was the last time that she would get to see his beautiful smile... 



Chanyeol approached Mina's front door and was wondering if he should do this. Was it necessary to come all the way to her house just to return a photo? Couldn't he have waited for the next day? But before Chanyeol could debate in his mind any longer, he heard a yell coming from the inside of the house. 

Chanyeol quickly opened the door and entered the house, and saw Mina holding on to her unconcious dad in her arms. 

"Dad! Dad! Wake up! Are you okay?!" Mina cried out loud. 

But despite her cry, her dad continued to remain unconscious. 

Meanwhile, Chanyeol was in shock and unable to process what he was seeing. He has never experienced anything like this before. 

 

~End of Chapter 23~