26: Connection ~ More Confusion ~ Probability

WHOLE

A/N: If you think Claud is too young to be given such lines by me, please blame my mind to that. Because what I have as an inspiration to his character is Conan Edogawa. He’s originally a 17 years old high school detective who shrunk as a seven years old. So please be guided, I want Claud to be the smartest seven years old you ever met. ^_^

 

--

 

Sungyeol looked for Claud as soon as he and Woohyun arrived in the cathedral where all their friends and the other guests joining the entourage demanded by Sunggyu, was already there. Claud was playing with someone on the other side of the cathedral. He thinks it was Sebin. No, it was really Sebin.

 

"Sungyeol." Myungsoo went closer to him and for a moment there, everything seems to froze around him. EVERYTHING. Because looking at Myungsoo now, wearing an all-white tux and a brushed up hairstyle, with that smile on his face... Sungyeol lost it right there. "Look at what Jongie has for us groom's men! Ain't it-- Sungyeol?" Myungsoo waved a hand right on his face to have his attention but Sungyeol remain standing. "Sungyeol? Are you okay?"

 

"Do you want us to marry now?"

 

Everyone near to them chuckle and Myungsoo pull his hands back and covered his face. He's beet red, alright. "What was that just now?"

 

Sungyeol snapped back to reality and shook his head as he gave Myungsoo a from head to toe look. "You look handsome and hot on that, Love... you made me see the future . You made me want to marry you, right here. Right now."

 

"Yah! Stop that!"

 

The taller smiled and pat Myungsoo's head. "I'm just informing you the feeling. So next time you let me see you, and I only stare at you, you know what's running on my mind."

 

Myungsoo stepped back when Sungyeol was about to pat his head again, causing some small notebook fell from his pocket. Sungyeol was the one to pick it up, but another fell from it. Sungyeol picked it up again and it was a photo. And when he turn it around for him to see, he never felt surprised all his life.

 

"Sungyeol? What?" Myungsoo noticed the sudden change on Sungyeol's reaction once he saw the photo, so he went closer. "What is it?" the taller turn to him, giving him the wide eyes.

 

"T-the woman..."

 

"You mean Mrs. Starling?"

 

"Mrs. Starling?!"

 

"Y-yes. Sungjong and I are meeting with her for our special classes back in England. But then, she had to leave after having her resignation approved and settle back in Korea; where her husband is. I told you about that last night right?" Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol flabbergasted. "What is this about? Is she someone you know?"

 

Woohyun saw how Sungyeol looked at Myungsoo so he went closer, and gasped himself upon seeing the photo on the taller's hand. "OMG! IS THAT... IS THAT--"

 

The younger almost rolled his eyes, snatching the photo back. "What is it about Mrs. Starling that made you react like this?"

 

"No Love! It was you in the picture with her that's making me, we react like this."

 

"Huh? What do you mean---"

 

"Did you know that they're gone?"

 

Myungsoo lost his words. And later on, nods. "Three years ago. Yes. I know. I heard she was with her husband, car accident."

 

"And did you know they had children?"

 

Myungsoo nods again. "I was meaning to talk to you about that. I was planning on adopting the twins... but then we had Claud now. So I think---"

 

"You were looking for him?" Sungyeol sat down on one of the long benches inside the cathedral. He feels like he’s feeling numb on his feet and can’t stand straight anymore.

 

"For what I heard, the twins are turn over to a certain orphanage. I visited the house of the Starling's before, but... I was not allowed to go inside."

 

"It's Claud..."

 

"What?" Myungsoo failed to hear what Sungyeol just said and was furrowing his eyebrows.

 

"Claud... is one of the twins."

 

"WHAT?!"

 

Claud chose that moment to approach them. The kid heard what the two are talking about. Myungsoo turn to him with so much disbelief in his eyes. But as soon as Claud smiled, he as if travels back through time.

 

The first time he met this kid, he know that there's something about Sungyeol and the kid's smile that's achingly the same; almost the same. Now that he thinks back now, the smile that enticed him... was the mother of this kid; of Cleo and Claud. Mrs. Starling all along?

 

"Daddy... are you okay?" tears flows freely from Myungsoo's eyes as he took Claud on his arms.

 

"I'm... I'm so sorry... Claud..."

 

"Daddy, why are you crying?" Claud begun crying too as he tries to soothes Myungsoo by rubbing gentle circles through his back.

 

"I'm so sorry that I found you so late... If only I managed to find you and Cleo early, we could've saved her... we could've..."

 

"Daddy. What happened to Cleo, isn't your nor Daddy Yeol's fault... it wasn't your fault."

 

"But if only I found you sooner... we could've at least.."

 

"Dad... why do you think Cleo decided to let go?"

 

Sungyeol's heart aches by hearing Cleo's name. Claud held Myungsoo's face and made the older look at him in the eye. "Because I'm with you guys and she knows you won't leave me behind like those people who left us. Because she knows you and Daddy Sungyeol too... though the picture we've seen from our mother's and father's photo albums is where you two are yet to meet each other---"

 

"It's meant to be. Everything is meant to happen... as if it's already written." Sungyeol cut Claud's words. "Myungsoo. The Resident Doctor during our days in our Middle School here was Mrs. Starling's husband." the younger covered his mouth. "On our last year of middle school and before we graduated from it, Mrs. Starling gave birth to the twins, after a year of settling here. She came from England... where she met you as a student. When Mrs. Starling was discharged, we took pictures with her and I was able to... I was able to held Claud and Woohyun held Cleo... I can't show the picture to you now I think I took it with me when I left for Spain."

 

Sungyeol made Myungsoo stand up and he carry out Claud. "And you know what happens next..."

 

"We met each other in England a few months after and before you start attending your Senior High and before I start my last year of middle school... and..."

 

"The accident that took my memories away from me, making me forget about you and everything that happened before that accident.. Meaning my memories of knowing Cleo and Claud was..."

 

"Was forgotten." Claud finished it up for them.

 

The couple didn’t know what to say after this big revelation between them. Their friends are also holding themselves and decided to ask away, especially Sunggyu who cannot understand things.

 

"Claud, when exactly have you seen that pictures we are all into?" the oldest asked.

 

"When our parents died we are just four years old... we are transported to an orphanage by Doctor Nam... Uncle Woohyun's dad knew about my sister's condition, took us with him and decided to cure my sister without demanding payment from us..."

 

"When was that?"

 

"Cleo was diagnosed at age 5... They took us in a week after our birthday." he takes a look of Woohyun. "That is the first time I met Uncle Woohyun... helping to take care of my sister."

 

"Oh my God..."

 

"I think it was around that time also... that Uncle Woohyun knew that we are the twins of your Resident Doctor back in middle school as soon as they asked me about my name and my sister's... I was more than thankful that time... that our names managed to keep Uncle Woohyun tending on Cleo..."

 

Everyone's heart broke as Claud's eyes pooled with tears, collapsed. Making the kid sobs. But Claud is different among the other kid's. He's smart and strong. And that was proven when he continues. "As a kid who have nothing to turn to... with our parents dying at the same time, I know keeping my mindset immaturely to go on with life won't work... so Cleo and I both decided to be strong for us both... just for us both to keep going... the family of our parents abandoned us and we almost lost our trust for other people, until the Nam's took us in. We thought; why not trust the people who are worthy? But a year following that year, Uncle Woohyun gave me some of the photo album from our house... and the key."

 

Everyone turn to Woohyun. Can't believe that he keep it all to them. But the accused just stay silent as the kid continues. "I even took it. And he says that... that will be his birthday gift for us..."

 

"And that is when you saw the pictures?"

 

"Yes." the kid lowered down his gaze. "I have no ways of knowing that we will meet each other a year after that year... with Daddy Sungyeol being brought to the hospital. Him meeting us there, clueless... I thought he'll find out real soon because of the adoption... but he didn't." the kid smiled to Sungyeol.

 

"Because I didn't personally managed the papers."

 

"Yes."

 

Everyone went silent as Myungsoo tried to keep himself back together. That is when Myungsoo was asked by Woohyun. "Why didn't you tell any of us that you were looking for the Starling twins all along? You could've met them as early as I met them.."

 

He leaned on the seat and gave Woohyun a glare. "When did the Starling died?" Woohyun didn't answer, so Myungsoo did it. "A year after Sungyeol left. Do you think that I could still think straight when I almost shut every one of you out of my world that time? My favorite teacher with her husband died a year after the love of my life left me... and I didn't know she gave birth to the twins a few months after that... that is when I decided to look for the kids to maybe, take them in. But I failed. Because everything ed up between me and my Dad... I myself almost committed suic--"

 

"Love... I don't want to hear any of that... please."

 

Myungsoo bit his tongue. "Everything following that year up to now... we are all aware of that part. What is important now is, Claud is with us now... and maybe we could visit the Starling's grave once we came back to Korea..."

 

"And maybe let Cleo's ashes be with them too..." Claud said. "Keeping her with us won't suffice the empty space she left... but if she were to be beside Mom and Dad, I think I'll be able to finally move on with my life... and I know that is what exactly the three of them want from me..." Claud took Sungyeol's and Myungsoo's hands and take it to his chest. "...I can never forget about them, Dads... I will never forget them... but please keep me beside you two... I don't know if I could managed another people leaving me--"

 

"We will never leave you, Claud. Never. Okay?" Myungsoo hugged the kid who's now hugging him tightly as he could return Myungsoo's hug back.

 

Sungyeol can only hug the two. He's given more reasons to protect the two person that matters to him.

 

The more reason to fight against his family. The more reason to say no to what Woohyun thinks is the possibility that could happen once they find out about Claud being Myungsoo's adopted son.

 

"But Claud, where are your parents buried?"

 

"Dad was buried in our family's mausoleum... Mom was... I don't know."

 

"What do you mean you don't know?" Myungsoo asked the kid confusedly.

 

"They were buried separately. We are not even allowed to join Mom's burial."

 

"WHAT? Why?!" Woohyun is now furious. So the kids are abandoned and now they were not even given a chance to see their mother's burial?

 

"I don't know that much, Uncle Woo. All I know is we are abandoned by my father's family and we are shut down by my mother's family."

 

Sungyeol turn to his grandfather who just came with his parents and Myungsoo's. He suddenly had an idea inside him but... what if?

 

"Don't mind me asking Claud but... what's your Mom's maiden name?" Howon held on to Dongwoo tightly. As if his life is depending on it. Sungyeol looked at Howon. Because the older just asked the same question he wanted to ask.

 

"Maiden name?"

 

"The surname she was using before she got married." Sungyeol answered.

 

The kid shook his head. "Cleo and I was only four when they died. We never taught about Mom's name as we grew up... all we know is our names are Cleo and Claud Starling."

 

"It's okay, dear..." Myungsoo assured despite Sungyeol's nervous and confused face. "...we'll know once we see your adoption papers personally. Gosh, Yeol. I feel so dumb that we didn't even have the basics down about Claud." Sungyeol only smiled to that.

 

--

 

The following hour was fully dedicated to the WooGyu Couple. Myungsoo was even guilty because it got delayed because the clarification that had happened involving his family. The whole afternoon was decided by everyone that they'll be spending it roaming around France. Because by tomorrow, they'll be finalizing everything, and as soon as the night falls tomorrow, the WooGyu couples are no longer allowed to see each other.

 

Before Sungyeol joined in with his friends somewhere, to a place where he decided to meet them, he managed to talk things out with his Dad, Myungsoo's Dad, his Mom, Myungsoo's Mom and his Grandparents. The meeting involving the said names are exclusive for him with them. And this will be the first time Sungyeol decided to share some piece of his mind regarding the issue.

 

"We're sticking with my plan, Dad... Grandpa... Mr. Kim."

 

"The papers you're asking from me are more than ready for release, Sungyeol. We can do this anytime, as soon as they went back to Korea to meet you... but first things first. I suggest you keep Claud away from any of the Woollim Academic Buildings. I don't want to scare you, but they know that Claud is a second grader in WES. And you know what that--"

 

"You think I didn't know that?" Sungyeol smirked. "They're so slow I could die waiting for their attack. I'm not even threatened about it. The people roaming around Topaz... I gave them a warning about those guys... because for my security, as long as they find them threatening, it's a shoot to kill operation for them... We are talking about MY Topaz here. It's where I am staying. It is where Myungsoo and Claud are staying. There's no way I'd let them get away with this..."

 

Sungyeol throw the folder from his hands and roam his eyes around the room. "It'd be a wrong move for them if they drag Claud in this issue... they don't know what's hitting them."

 

"Grandson I don't mind you doing this. Declaring war? Exchanging fire? I know you'll win this fight between the families. But I'm worried about KGC and Claud--"

 

"KGC is officially GSSC's subsidiary as soon as I pull out my GSSC from LGC... We made it very clear with each other, right Mr. Kim?"

 

The older nodded. "Your father gave us to you. And we already signed a contract about that one. We are one with the GSSC."

 

"And about Claud, I want to know more about of Mrs. Starling, Claud and Cleo's Mother's maiden name. There's something about her that's seems so mysterious to me. There's probably something there."

 

"What do you mean son?"

 

Sungyeol only shook his head. The what if's are so powerful, he can't even find himself asking straight the questions in his head.

 

"I can't believe you two are boycotting your own flesh. If things didn't go your way, the two biggest supports LGC has will leave at the same time."

 

Sungyeol and his Dad only let out a smirk at the same time. "Let us not be blinded, Grandpa. You know exactly who's firing bullets first here... I'm only giving them what they want."

 

"I am not fully into this plan. You are trying to bring down what I started---"

 

"I am trying to save it Grandpa." he met his Grandpa's eyes and the older stared back. "But if they wanted me to save it... they would have to follow my own rules. Because as soon as I take over? Not only will I fulfill my promise to you as your grandson... I am also staying to where you could see me, Grandpa. And that will keep me as your grandson too."

 

He once again looked around the room. "I can still be the LEE SUNGYEOL everyone wanted me to be. It's a win-win situation."

 

--

 

When everyone gets back to the hotel, they all decided to eat dinner on diners near it. Sungyeol Myungsoo and Claud are seated beside each other when Myungsoo received a text from his Dad so he excused himself.

 

He went to see his dad who was waiting for him in their own room. There's also Moonsoo inside as he sat down on the receiving area. He's now facing his Dad.

 

"We don't know when the canons of the other side will be firing their ace... but we are very much in the process of reloading our own." Myungsoo just take a look at his Dad confusedly. The older Kim just sighs. "Sungyeol is aware that you're here?"

 

"No. I didn't--"

 

"He knows. Because we planned to tell you this, with me telling you." he pushes a brown envelope in front of Myungsoo and the other took it. "If things didn't go to Sungyeol's way the day when the Annual Board Meeting will be held, everything inside is already made for plan B."

 

"Plan B?"

 

"As soon as GSSC pulled out, KGC will be pulling out as well and will be taken over by GSSC." Mr. Kim seriously gave him the look. "Automatically."

 

"W-What?"

 

"This Plan... is his way to keep you, Claud and the whole KGC protected."

 

His mom gave him the most tender smile and hug him from the back. "Everything is set. Sungyeol, me and his Dad are waiting now... for the said Annual Board Meeting."

 

"Sungyeol has been asking the best out of us... and we're leaving the rest to him." his mother said as she tried to calm him down.

 

--

 

Myungsoo run as soon as the elevator hit the ground. He looked around and saw his friend to the same spot where he left them. Sungyeol immediately turn to him and smiled as he approached their table.

 

"Dad! You're back!" Claud cheerfully said. "Can we eat now?"

 

"You guys go ahead. Sungyeol, follow me. We need to talk."

 

"Why? Where have you been anyway?"

 

He paused and watched Sungyeol as he bit his straw knowingly. "Dad called me. Now, follow me."

 

Sungyeol turn to Claud. "Me and Daddy Myung will talk for a while, Dear. Behave while we're gone okay?"

 

"Okay Dad. Make sure to come back okay?"

 

Myungsoo closed the door of their room behind him. "Lee Sungyeol, tell me more about this plan of yours that I---"

 

"Love. This is probably one of those things you'll get to know about me..."

 

"What?"

 

"One... Lee Sungyeol only has Plan A and Plan B for everything... Plan A is where I get to talk nicely. Plan B is where I don't talk at all."

 

"Are you really doing this? Separating GSSC? Taking over KGC?"

 

"Who says I'm taking over KGC?" he flicked his tongue. "Your Dad? Oh no, Love... we're merging."

 

"M-merging?"

 

"As long as things didn't go the way I wanted it, I am pulling GSSC out of LGC... taking KGC with me. Because that will only make the KGC officially a subsidiary of GSSC."

 

"S-Sungyeol... am I..." he shook his head. "Are we worth it?"

 

The taller paused as he was about to reach out on Myungsoo's cheek. "Why are you asking me that?"

 

"Because you're doing all of these---"

 

"Are you pressured? Is that it?"

 

"No! Hell no. You know I'll be more happy if this could make me and Claud have you... but it's so overwhelming.. I can't... I can't.."

 

"Sssh... it's okay Love... calm down." he took Myungsoo on his arms and the younger hugged him as tight. "This is my way of protecting you and Claud and my family... I know what I'm doing. You don't have to worry about anything else... All I wanted is for you to be safe and keep Claud safe..."

 

"But... but..."

 

He gave the younger's lips a peck as soon as he pulled away. "There's no buts. I love you. You're all that matters to me. You and Claud." he smiled and kissed the younger's forehead this time.

 

--

 

Sungyeol watched Myungsoo and Claud as they slept on their bed while he is having an internalization when his phone rang.

 

"This is me, young heir."

 

"Yes. What do you want?"

 

"Young heir, I have something to tell you about Kim Claud's background."

 

"Spill it." he went out of their room and sat down on the sofa. He can hear someone typing when his man talk again.

 

"It's true that Kim Claud's real name is Starling, Claud Luis. His sister's name is Starling, Cleo Leigh."

 

"And the wife's name?" he asked, confusedly shaking.

 

"Their mom was the Korean... and I don't quite follow from here, young heir."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Starling Conrad was the husband's name... and the wife's name is. Starling Hyori."

 

"And the maiden name of Mrs. Starling was?" his heart is beating like crazy. He feels like he'll faint from it...

 

"The maiden name was... Lee. Lee Hyori."

 

Sungyeol turn off his phone and he put his hands together to think intently. Claud's smile... Claud's intelligence... Is this what he thinks it is?

 

What the hell is happening here?

 

He went out of the room and run towards his parent's room and thankfully, they're all there drinking some hot tea. Including his grandfather who was surprised to see him wearing pajama's. But he doesn't care about that anymore.

 

"What are you doing here? You should be sleeping by now. We're early tomorrow for the WooGyu couple's wedding, dear." his mom said as he runs her hand through his back but he didn't even look at him and continue looking at his grandfather and father.

 

"Grandpa... Dad... can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure son, what is it?"

 

"It must be very important that it can't wait till tomorrow." his grandfather said as he sips on his tea cup.

 

"Does a name Lee Hyori rings a bell?"

 

Seeing his father's eyes widened and his grandfather almost spit the tea from his mouth, he knew he hit home.

 

--

 

A/N: Are you guys still there? Hey, hello~ *wave wave*