6: Sungyeol's Past ~ His Usual Self

WHOLE

Myungsoo's POV

 

That night, all I can look at is Sungyeol. Even if he's talking to Woohyun-hyung and the others. And he always smiles when he caught me staring and I always end up averting my eyes from looking. I can't keep my eyes off him in this starry night. I just can't stand not seeing him second by second. He's the only thing that could keep me in place without worry.

 

I got traumatize of him leaving me and I can never handle those feeling again. I just can't.

 

We're here in the seashore and everyone is playing around. Me, Sowon, Sungjong, Dongwoo-hyung and Gyu-hyung are seated around the bonfire. The others are playing with water. Though they're all wearing t-shirts since it's already evening and it's cold.

 

Dongwoo-hyung broke the silence as he handed me a barbeque.

 

"You're staring at him... are you guys okay now?" I can hear there's a hint of teasing tone on his question.

 

"I'm trying to trust him again..."

 

"Maybe because that's all he needs for now."

 

Sunggyu-hyung says as he take a bite on his hot dog.

 

"When Woohyun and I broke up, it took me forever to make him trust me again. Its painful during the process, but I managed. I don't know what Sungyeol have under his sleeves, but if he's ready and willing to go against everyone in his family just for you, then he's worth keeping."

 

"Like what Woohyun did for you?"

 

"No. Like what I did for Woo. I know how hard it is, to convince someone who's not used to this. Its hard to open someone's mind with this issue. Me and Sungyeol are on the same boat since our parents aren't that supportive. Sungyeol have it tough. If he got disowned, he only have GSSC to keep him going. And he's been playing his card well since the beginning. That's where my respect for him came from. He's so smart that he knows who to follow. He doesn't get himself easily swayed with the people around him. Growing up with his kind of family is hell, and I'm glad I'm not born with that kind."

 

"Wait hyung... did you know anything about what's happening with him?"

 

Gyu-hyung take a bite from his hot dog and didn't mind my question. Something tells me he knows something.

 

"They didn't just raised Sungyeol to rise above it all... they also raised him to go against them. He'll be breaking a lot of expectations from here, but I know he's happy and contended."

 

Sunggyu-hyung and Dongwoo-hyung says those words while looking at Sungyeol. And I can't stop myself from asking them something.

 

"How is he in his first time here in Korea attending a normal school?"

 

Dongwoo-hyung smiles fondly at me and put his stick down to the plate. "Oh, he's unreachable. He's annoying. He's cocky. And he's bossy. When he first came here and attend WJHS, he came with his bodyguards. And he's always alone... until Woohyun took the first step to be closer to him."

 

"Yeah, I remember that one. Woohyun was the first one to break that cold hearted Sungyeol back then. He managed to make him smile and everyone in school witnessed that one."

 

"What did Woohyun-hyung do?"

 

"Oh, he slipped. first. On the ground."

 

A smile escaped my lips with the imagination building up inside me.

 

"Their first year being friends are never easy. They always fight. Woohyun is annoyed with Sungyeol doing nothing but always managed to hit the top. Flawlessly. He even thinks Sungyeol is cheating on exams. But he really isn't. Everyone find him annoying for being so capable of passing and acing every exams without studying. That's where we came to help Woohyun defend him. We all stood up for Sungyeol. Though he doesn't really care about those people who bullies him. He doesn't even care that they're bullying him already." Dongwoo-hyung says with a giggle.

 

"He never cares before. Until Howon got hurt for him. Someone tried to hit him with a piece of hard wood on the head back in 8th grade and Howon have it for him. Howon bleeds so much, and Sungyeol sees red that he almost... kill that someone who hit Howon... with his fist."

 

Sowon, Sungjong and I gasped loudly to that. Then we all turn to Sungyeol. He's so innocent looking. But he almost killed... someone?

 

"But... he's so different..." Sowon whispers.

 

"That's because he changes. He learned how to value people now. He's more approachable now. He's been isolated all his life until middle school, of course he'll be a difficult child to handle, but he's an honest child. And up until now, he's still the same." Dongwoo-hyung says with a smile on plastered on his lips.

 

Sunggyu-hyung stretch his legs and arms and breath in. "He grew up being capable of handling his own problem maturely. He used to be so impulsive, you know? But now, he's thinking well before doing something."

 

Sungyeol approached our group and I have to hand him his towel to wipe the water over his body. He sat down beside me and grab my stick with a half eaten hot dog.

 

"Do you mind?"

 

I shook my head and he smile. How come this man affect me this much? How could he do that? Maybe because I've missed him so much?

 

I turn to Sungjong on my left, fully aware of Sungyeol's hand over my thigh and asked him for another one.

 

"Myungsoo, do you really prefer being with them in a room?"

 

I suddenly stop munching the piece of hot dog inside my mouth as I look at him again. He's looking at me with pleading eyes so I have to avoid that one and focus on the hot dog.

 

"Yeah."

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I'm so much better with them."

 

He furrow his eyebrows and turn to the other side which is Woohyun's side. I know they're just best friends and Woohyun have Sunggyu-hyung, but... sometimes I feel like I'm being left out when they're so close with each other.

 

"Woo, give me some barbeque please."

 

Woohyun take one barbeque from the plate and gave it to him. "Here. Oh by the way Yeol, when we get back to Seoul tomorrow, can you accompany me somewhere?"

 

"Sure. Where?" Sungyeol chomped on his barbeque and waited for Woohyun-hyung to answer but instead he gave Sungyeol that kind of look and Sungyeol's mouth formed an "o" then he lift his hand to form an okay sign with his fingers. He then turn to me.

 

"You'll be at the office all day tomorrow right?"

 

"Yeah, so?"

 

"Nothing. I just thought you'd like to stay for more days here. I don't mind at all..."

 

"You just made plans with Woohyun-hyung and now you're telling me that?" I stuffed my mouth with hot dog and didn't look at his side again.

 

"I can always cancel that one--"

 

"No. I don't want you to cancel. I'll be at my office all day tomorrow and you'll be with Woohyun-hyung off to somewhere I don't know."

 

Sungyeol stayed silent beside me for a moment so I have to look at his side again. Only to be greeted by an disbelieving face of his. Woohyun is also looking at our side while eating a squid and I swear I blushed knowing he's listening with our bickering. I tried to retort, but Sungyeol shook his head and wave his hand.

 

"I'll be back before sunset, and I don't think Woo needs me till midnight. Right Woo?"

 

"Yeah. I only need you to see something... for your opinion."

 

He turn to me again. "See? I'll be back in our unit in no time. There's nothing to worry about."

 

I didn't say anything and just grab another hotdog.

 

--

 

That same night, I can't sleep. I keep on turning myself back and forth on my bed. I'm hugging my comforter tight and the dim lights inside our room didn't help me to relax.

 

I grab my phone beside me and texted Sungyeol. He's still awake, according to what I'm hearing from their room. They're still awake.

 

I take time looking for his number, and then I remembered, I don't have his new number. But... did he even  changed?

 

With that thought in mind, I texted his old number.

 

To My Yeollie:  I can't sleep. Come here.

 

I giggle to myself. I know he won't received that message so I just cover myself with the blankets and smiled.

 

But when my phone beeps and as I finished reading the content, the door flew open revealing Sungyeol.

 

Oh my God.

 

I look up to him while I'm seated at the center of my bed.

 

His reply was...

 

From My Yeollie: Wait for me.

 

I literally cusses. And he grab my phone from me to close the light from it. He then closed the lamp shade beside me, making the room pitch black.

 

I instantly grab him and then his voice suddenly gave me shivers as he whisper on my ear. I reach for his waist since he's still standing and leaning over me.

 

"I'm here..."

 

"Y-yeol... I can't see."

 

"You're probably wondering how I managed to reply to you using my usual number... and you're obviously asking yourself why you didn't think of calling me with all those five years."

 

His soft chuckles lingers around the room and he seated beside me. And I know that it was his face right in front of me. His lips almost touching mine but instead, my lips got by his tongue.

 

Oh God...

 

"I'm here to stay until you sleep, Love. You can sleep now."

 

Huh? What the ?

 

"Y-you just my---"

 

"Love, we are inside your room. And you're sharing it with two other people... there's no way I'll continue."

 

I pout but then he grabs my jaw and lift it up as he placed his head between my neck. "Don't pout..."

 

A gasped escaped my lips but it wasn't heard because he's covering my mouth with his other hand. I can feel his lips beneath my skin... doing something that's leaving me breathless.

 

He nips my neck and I know he's leaving a love bites there.


And I'm literally drowning.

 

And when I think I completely lost it, Sungyeol pulled away and kiss my forehead and my mouth.

 

"W-what?"

 

I know he's smiling. it Myungsoo, you're losing it again.

 

Sungyeol run his hand over my face and give my cheek a pinch before he pushed me to lay down on my bed. He then put the blanket over my chest and he sits beside me.

 

"Sleep. Now."

 

I know I nod to that before drowning to sleepiness.

 

--

 

I woke up hearing noises from the outside of my room. When I open my eyes, Sungjong and Sowon are already packing. Oh that's right... we're going home today.

 

I let a smug look out of my face. We didn't even had moments.

 

I stood up and Sungjong gasped when the blanket leaves my body.

 

"Oh my gosh!"

 

I didn't bother looking at him but then Sowon gasped too, and the cosmetic products on her hand slipped from it that I ended up looking to them.

 

"What?" I asked them fully annoyed.

 

"T-t-thats... a love bite! And it's new! OMG! It almost bruised your neck!" Sungjong says as he lift my head up to take a look on my neck. I freed my head from his grip and I just turn to look in the mirror.

 

Sungyeol really did left one big purplish almost bruising love bite on my neck. I scratch my head and turn to Sowon.

 

"Do you have some band aid or something?"

 

"There's no way a band aid could cover that one..."

 

"The square one."

 

"I do have one, wait." Sungjong says.

 

I went inside the bathroom to take a bath. And when I'm done, Sungjong lend me a band aid. I dressed up before putting the band aid there.

 

"Where did this came from?"

 

"Don't be stupid. I know you know where the moment you saw it."

 

Sungjong smiled sheepishly. We then went out of our room with all our baggage. Sungyeol was with Woohyun wearing a sunglasses and his hair is dancing with the wind. Its soft and silky. He's wearing a black plaid shirt and a pants. He looks so simple but absolutely gorgeous. He then turn to our side and he flash me his million dollar gummy smile. I walk towards him and hand him my bags.

 

"Didn't know I'm your personal assistant now..."

 

"You'll ask for it later anyway."

 

I walk passed by him and get inside Woohyun's backseat car. Sungjong will be riding on Sowon's car with Junhyung-hyung. Howon and Dongwoo-hyung will be in their own cars, since they arrived separately due to their separated working places, and the WooGyu couple will be the one hosting for us since we didn't brought one car for us both. This is the moment where I curse myself for not bringing a car.

 

Me and Gyu-hyung both got on the backseat while Woohyun-hyung and Sungyeol took the driver seat and passenger seat. Once they fasten their seatbelt, we took off.

 

Gyu-hyung gave me a dried mango with chocolate on the tip. "This is so good. Woo and I brought it from the store there."

 

"Oh... thanks hyung."

 

"Sure. How about you two?"

 

"Yes please."

 

Yeol didn't said anything back because he's busy with his phone. So I lean forward to him and pushed the mango with chocolate on the tip in his mouth. He pull away but take it in anyway and murmur a thanks.

 

"You're busy. Why?" I asked. I don't want to get worried, but he seems distracted, so it kinda irked me.

 

"I got a call from D... I mean nothing. There's nothing serious going on. Just need to reply with someone."

 

I raise one eyebrow up and gave him a knowing glare. "You won't tell me anything again?"

 

"Myung, stay out of it, okay? I don't want you hurt..."

 

"What and who exactly among those people texting you could hurt me?"

 

He was about to say something back but he noticed Woohyun-hyung's glare so he stopped. Okay, what the ? He knows while I don't?

 

But I didn't bother asking any further. Instead, I slumped back on my seat while eating what Gyu-hyung is giving me.

 

Mostly, the conversation inside the car is between Woohyun-hyung and Sungyeol. Though Gyu-hyung often joins in. I decided to shut up the whole ride until we reached Topaz just to thanked them for the ride.

 

Yeol grabbed the main remote inside our unit and played with the buttons to open the lights, to open the blinds and to open the air condition. I put my things down while Yeol put his phone down beside the telephone who happens to be near me.

 

"Myung, what time will you go to work? Its already 9am. Would you like to have early lunch? Or---"

 

"I don't want anything, thank you. I prefer sleep. I'll go to office after lunch."

 

"And?"

 

"And what?"

 

"Is that okay with your dad?"

 

I sigh tiredly and tried to get up but decided to completely let my body down on the sofa. "Why do you care so much about how my Dad will react whenever I skipped? I'm irregularly reporting since I graduated college. I'm still on probation."

 

Sungyeol put a glass of water down in front of me. "You mean, Mr. Kim haven't let you.."

 

"Handle everything? Yes. Not yet."

 

Sungyeol stood in front of me quietly and later on, he went inside his room and maybe change his clothes while I turn on the television.

 

Then I noticed the color green blinking light from our telephone indicating that someone called but was forwarded to our voicemail. So I just tap the button to listen to what the caller said during the said call.

 

"Lee Sungyeol, grand son. We need to talk. Let me help you. You and Myungsoo... let me help you on this. I don't want to los--"

 

The line was cut off and I look up to Sungyeol who was the one responsible for pushing the button to stop the said voice message. He's fixing his sleeves and I immediately shift to my baddest mood because of him.

 

"What the are you doing? I was listening!"

 

"That call was meant for me. Not you. So why listen to it?"

 

"That was your grandmother calling and I heard my name involved. What was that?"

 

Sungyeol turn his back on me to return his room but I followed him there.

 

"Answer me, damn you!"

 

"Shut up Myungsoo. My grandmother has nothing to do with i--"

 

"I remember something she wanted to talk to me about back in LGC. What is she saying?"

 

"Nothing."

 

"Why can't you just--"

 

"I SAID IT WAS NOTHING!"

 

I stared at him. Surprised. He yelled at me just now and I suddenly felt dumb. He sigh and scratch his nape then move closer to me.

 

He cupped my face and place a light kiss on my lips.

 

"Myung, please... stay out of this. I need you protected... let me do all the work this time."

 

He's hiding something from me. I remembered what Gyu-hyung said to me back in the beach. And according to what I heard from his grandmother, she wanted to help me and Sungyeol... help us on what?

 

I continue staring at Sungyeol with that thoughts in my mind. I know that he's hiding something from me. But...

 

"Why can't you just tell me?" I tried again. This time, I put both hands on his waist to keep him close as I let our foreheads touch. "Let me help you on this..."

 

"No... I can do it myself. I want you to be on the sidelines... they could be dangerous, Myung... they'll do anything to keep me away from you and that's the last thing I wanted right now..."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

Sungyeol sigh and pull back. "Need not to know... I have to go meet up with Woohyun... you're going to KGC any moment now right?"

 

He avoided the topic...

 

"Y-yes." I answered a bit unsure for that right now.

 

Sungyeol pull me for a kiss again and hug me so tight.

 

"I love you. Okay? I love you so much... I only want you. Beside me, Myung. Nothing more. Nothing less."

 

I nod.

 

Sungyeol went out and I see him off. And now, I'm staring back on our telephone.

 

He deleted the history received and dialled numbers from it. The voice messages was deleted too.

 

I grab my phone and call someone whom I think that could help me.

 

--

 

Daeyeol and Moonsoo arrived fifteen minutes later after their classes in WJHS. Yes, I called up Daeyeol. I know that I may not be able to have some information from him since he stayed most of his times here in Korea while Sungyeol is away, but I have something to ask him that's making me feel scared. And I won't calm down not unless I heard the answer I wanted.

 

"Myungsoo-hyung, why did you call us? And of all places, in a mall? You know that WJHS is strict to us when it comes to us wandering in uniform."

 

"Yes. Sorry. Anyway, have a seat. And, I didn't know you're arriving with Moonsoo. How come you're together?"

 

They looked at each other before looking in the menu again. "Moonsoo wanted to buy something from a nearby bookstore."

 

"And Daeyeol just came out from their practice."

 

I just nod. We take time ordering food, and when the food came, I start questioning Daeyeol.

 

"Daeyeol... I would like you to answer me honestly with the questions I'm about to ask..."

 

"Is this about Hyung?"

 

I look down to my plate before nodding. "You're both aware to our... relationship. Right? And, before anything else... I wanted to ask your reaction about us..."

 

"I don't mind, hyung."

 

I look up to Moonsoo. He gave me one tender smile and shove food in his mouth. "Really?"

 

"Of course. Do you think I'll stay in their house if I do? I was left behind by father five years ago just to keep you away from Sungyeol-hyung... and he may not be always in the mansion during those days, but I know how miserable he is that time."

 

I then turn to Daeyeol. He's important. His reaction is important.  He stare back at me before swallowing his food and drink some water.

 

"I was wondering what could this be about. I never thought you'd ask me about my reaction."

 

Is He mad? Oh no. Is he one of the people against us?

 

My heart feels like that moment and then he smile. Daeyeol smiled.

 

"The first time I met Sungyeol-hyung was... when I turned 5. He's second year in middle school. He was... fourteen that time. That is the very first time they let me see my older brother. You see hyung, the only thing I know before that day was, my older brother is getting ready to take over our family legacy and he should be behind our grandparent's care. He was isolated. The next leader of our family was isolated, and unfortunately, it's my older brother. And the only way to see him, was to fly back in Spain where the main family branch of Lee's stay. He's the heir. The so called next in line. I always looked up on him with his awards. Mom only showed me his pictures with all his awards. Whether it's in sport, music, academics... name it. He'll surely ace it all. I was so proud. Always proud. But the system of my family... I can never swallow it.

 

I can never get used to it. Hyung became someone who takes it all easily. In other word, his life is a bore. A world where everything is no longer challenging. He's too perfect. He's unreachable. He's a genius. Everything in his life is way too easy that it's making him someone colder than ice. His first year here in Korea, I was not allowed to see him personally yet. I was only four and they only allowed me to see him when I turn five. He was still isolated. Though he's attending the normal school that time.

 

And when we finally get to meet each other, I don't know why, but he was somewhat... scary. I was disappointed because he's too intimidating. But he changed. A lot. Thanks to the other hyungs..."

 

Daeyeol stop and looked at me with an obvious plead in this eyes. "He's the best brother to me, Myungsoo-hyung. He's the best. I almost got mad at you when he decided to go back in Spain. Just to keep you. But before I was sent back here in Korea, without him, he made me realize a lot of things hyung... he made me realize that it's you... you're everything he needs. And that he never desire anything or anyone this way. You're the first one to make him breakthrough his shells. Those hard cold shells my grandparents built into him. Though the other hyungs came before you, but you... it's like you smash it all down in one go when you guys met in London..."

 

Daeyeol held my hands. My eyes are filled with controlled tears.

 

"I know that you guys will be facing all the negatives. The judgement of the society. The struggles... but if he got you, hyung... I don't mind giving out my full support if that will make him happy. I will definitely support you all the way there."

 

I don't know what to say to Daeyeol. All I know is that Daeyeol is one big factor in our relationship, and he effortlessly gets me to understand the things I wanted to ask him.

 

But I wipe my tears away and smiled at him.

 

"Then... let me decide whether to keep being beside him or not... help me decide on this Daeyeol. Because right now, Sungyeol wanted to do it alone, he wanted me protected. He wanted me as far away as possible from your grandparents... why is that?"

 

Daeyeol straighten his back and let go of my hand. He glare at me and I don't know why, but he's uneasiness makes me nervous. Its as if he wanted to tell me, but was being stopped. 

 

"Hyung... I can't. I can't tell you anything. And its not as if he told me anything. I don't know anything about his plans. But if he's keeping you away... then maybe it's for the best. Maybe it's for you. And if you really want to know...."

 

"Wait hyung."

 

We turn to Moonsoo and he looks pale. I suddenly got worried.

 

"What? What is it Moonsoo?"

 

"You do know you're engage to Sungyeol-hyung... right?"

I froze to my seat. And shook my head. "I don't... I mean, he's been all about that when he came back, but... wait. Is that true?"

 

The two teen nods and I was so shocked to utter something back. Then Moonsoo continued.

 

"You didn't know? The moment your engagement with Sowon-noona was dissolved, your engagement with Sungyeol-hyung was sealed. So technically, you're engaged since he left."

 

"Oh my gosh..."

 

The two looked at me horrified.

 

Moonsoo continued, "And that made the partnership between Lee and Kim official again. We are supported by the Lee's again after that day."

 

Then I turn to Daeyeol... "And that explains why he was slapped by our grandfather back in Spain when we first stepped our feet inside that mansion... and the fact that hyung was supposed to stay only in a few days there was cut off. And the only thing he mentioned to me before I came back here was to keep an eye on you, keep you safe and always check on you. Our communication with him was cut off after two weeks since I came back here. Grandfather hated us for that. He called my parents stupid for tolerating his acts."

 

I gasped. Oh no. Oh no. Oh no. This isn't the information I wanted and it's making me shiver... and I don't know what to do now.

 

Moonsoo, noticing my reactions, held my cold hands to support me.

 

"That means... even you guys was..."

 

"Yes. We are also forbidden to contact him. Though they are giving us news about how he is, they didn't gave us the actual chance to talk to him directly."

 

That means... Sungyeol was all alone in those five years there... without the freedom to call us. To talk to any of us.

 

Once everything sinks in my mind, someone is making my phone ring from my back pocket and I know I have to answer that.

 

"Hello, Myungsoo... I missed your call. What do you want?"

 

"Sungjong... I need help."

 

"What? Why? What happen?"

 

"Your grandparents... your Sungyeol's cousin so you probably know them."

 

"Of course I do. They are my grandparents. Whats with them?"

 

"I wanted to ask you how are they? As a grandparents? Strict?"

 

"Very. They may be all eyes on Sungyeol-hyung, but they keep tracks on everyone's performance."

 

"Are they only strict to Sungyeol then?"

 

"Myung, they're strict to everyone. Especially to the men of the family. How do you expect them acting towards the next heir?"

 

That's one sarcastic question and it only gives me more to worry about. Its making me sick hearing this.

 

"Myung... are you still there?"

 

"Sungjong... do you-- do you think I could help Sungyeol convince his grandparents on this?"

 

Sungjong stayed silent for awhile and  heard him talking to someone in the background. And I know who it was with him...

 

"Sungjong... you're... you're not with Yeol right?"

 

"I am... I'm with him and Woohyun-hyung.. they called me out. They're in the counter ordering some foods. Anyway, as I was about to say, Myung, you can't. Okay? You can't. Just give your best and leave the rest to Sungyeol-hyung... okay? You can only be there for him if everything gone worst as it already is.... you have to be strong. And you have to believe in him. Only him. Okay?"

 

The call was cut off before I even say something back to Sungjong. I then turn to the two before me. They're as worried. But I just smiled.

 

"Thank you both for your time... but, will you be okay?"

 

The two nods and Daeyeol answers. "We are accompanied by my personal bodyguards. They're waiting for us in the parking. So we better go, Myungsoo-hyung."

 

"Yes. Okay. Take care, okay Moonsoo?"

 

Monsoo nods and hugged me. "Just be strong, hyung okay? Hang in there. We're all here to support you two. Trust Sungyeol-hyung..."

 

I rested my head on my brother's shoulder and almost cried, but pat his back for assistance instead.

 

I think I know why Sungyeol is being possessive and protective of me.

 

But...

 

I really need to know everything.

--

Author's note: Angst ahead. You have been warned. :)