8: The Situation ~ Sungyeol's Condition

WHOLE

Author's note: I thought I told you guys that you're helping me do this story? HAHAHAHAHA I'm reading the comments very well and I almost forgot the thing about Yeol's weak heart condition. So I kinda have to pull that thing out again and serve it as a twist. After all, this is angst :)

And I almost let this one the other night. Because I got fired up with the Dance Practice Video and Dispatch's update about Sungyeol endorsing a Water Ski Park. He looks so hot, as ever. HAHA Now you know I'm a Sungyeol biased. :)

Lets begin with my treats, okay? Haha stay with me as I let it out today.

--

Myungsoo's POV

 

Together with everyone, as Sungyeol was transported to the ICU, is inside the said room and waiting for Soohyun to come. He asked us to stay still until he did cause he have something to tell us and it's important.

 

Everyone is worried as Soohyun''s serious face entered the room.

 

He checked his files for Sungyeol and look around the room. Dongwoo-hyung just came and is now with Howon.

 

"I'll start before Sungyeol wakes up. Because if he did, he'll stop me again, and I know you all deserve to know this..."

 

"Soohyun, why is he having this attacks again? I thought he's taking medications?"

 

Sungyeol's mom asked from the other side of the bed.

 

"He is, Auntie. But that only settle the pain. That doesn't change his condition."

 

"What?" Everyone turn their gazes on Soohyun.

 

He sigh and removed his glasses. "His condition is still the same, Auntie... his heart is still weak. He could... he could..."

 

"He could what, Soohyun-hyung? For 's sake, let it out!" Woohyun yells towards the doctor and the other just sigh.

 

"He could die. Okay? He could die! His heart is weak he could die! He's no longer healthy. Back in Spain, the distance, the anxiety he's having wasn't helping him! That's why I tried to persuade the older Lee's to sent him back... but Sungyeol doesn't like that. He's having a pride battle with his grandparents. Sungyeol's everyday medicines to take is stress for him and I don't think it's helping him either. But as soon as that lessen the pain, that's enough for him..."

 

Soohyun look around us and look down again. "His heart have always been weak. Since childhood. You all know that. Why can't you just give everything to him to make him happy? Is that too much to ask? Sungyeol never complains of anything even in that means letting go of Myungsoo five years ago. His health falters more, the longer the distance. You all know that! Small stress and even too much happiness could pained him easily. That's how bad his condition is--"

 

"What can we do from here?"

 

All eyes turns to me. Soohyun didn't seem to heard him, so he repeats the question.

 

"I'm asking you what we can do from here?! There's no way there's nothing to control this situation right?!"

 

Soohyun became terrified again and stood up abruptly. "He can undergo a open heart operation. But in his condition, even that could kill--"

 

"THEN WHAT COULDN'T KILL HIM?!"

 

I suddenly felt Sungyeol's grip tightens that I throw my glance back at him.

 

He's awake.

 

He's trying to talk but the oxygen mask is restraining him.

 

I slumped back on my seat and Soohyun is surprised again, for Sungyeol was given a shot of sleeping pills before he was taken here.

 

Again, his body is rejecting the medicines.

 

"What is it, Yeollie? What do you want? Are you pained somewhere?"

 

Sungyeol shook his head. He lift his other hand to wipe my tears away but I put it down and wipe it myself.

 

"I'm okay.. now please... be honest. What's the meaning of this? I never thought that this is something serious..."

 

Soohyun helped Sungyeol to removed his oxygen mask. He lift his hand to reach my cheek and caress my cheek gently.

 

"Love... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... only mom and I knows how critical this is. I don't want to worry anyone... no one else knows... I'm sorry..."

 

I bit my lip to control my sob as I held his hand closer to my chest. And I pull away to run my hands to my face.

 

"When... when can you not lie to me, Sungyeol?! When?!"

 

I punch the bedside and that made him cry. His mom stopped me and hug me on my back. "Please Myungsoo... Soohyun just told us not to let him experience pain in any way.... please..."

 

I cried hysterically as I held Sungyeols hand again once I realized that and kissed his forehead. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry love. I'm not mad.... I'm not mad okay? Just.... surprised. Why didn't you tell me anything? Love... you know how this could hurt me... your lies..." I punch my chest lightly. "...it hurts here Love."

 

I kissed his forehead. "Love... I love you... and now that I found this out, I will never let you go... I won't ever again... so you have to promise me... promise me you'll be fine. Okay? Promise me you'll take medications regularly. We'll eat healthy foods from now on... we will exercise together... okay?"

 

Sungyeol nods and drift of to sleep again. Soohyun tap my shoulder and I look behind me to face everyone.

 

"Soohyun, can you please be more specific about his condition?" I asked with a low voice while holding Sungyeol's hand.

 

"Systolic Heart Failure... his heart is weak and enlarged. Making it function abnormally. His breath shortens and he gets tired easily. He gets nauseous most of the time. We already talked about the most prescribed surgery for him, but the only thing available for him is... Heart Transplantation. But Sungyeol rejected that idea so... we are doing it step by step. On normal basis. He's drinking medicines regularly, and I strictly told him not to skip even one medicine. He's getting better and better. And the last time he was brought here was when he remembers your past with him. But that didn't actually affect him negatively because the following days with you, he became extremely fine. But his condition worsen when he was transported back to Spain. Because staying there means depression... knowing you're here Myungsoo. That worsen his condition and almost killed him."

 

I jolt to that. So whenever Sungyeol says it almost killed him.... he mean it literally?

 

"He's taking medication regularly when he's in Spain, but the anxiety and insecurities worsen everything even if he's following instructions. The pressure. The tension. That stops him to be actually okay. Though he's doing fine handling it. I taught him how breathing exercises are done to lessen the pain in case of emergency. And I think he done exactly that but didn't work out... so that means... he was cornered again by a situation."

 

Soohyun look around us and roll his eyes. "He was? Right? He fought with someone? He was nervous for some reason? He's doing work at the same time? That's what happened right?"

 

Everyone averts their eyes but I didn't. I nod.

 

"I came in the meeting because his grandmother asked me to come with her. She introduced me as Sungyeol's fiancee. But before we came, he's having an argument with his grandfather. He's nervous about our situation because that was unplanned. We are supposed to meet his grandparents when we're really ready. And yes, he's working when everything happens."

 

We heard Soohyun cusses and wrote the thing I said down.

 

"You guys stressed him rotten... you want him dead?"

 

He let out a giggle but that's actually a warning to all of us.

 

"No surprises. No pain. Too much work is prohibited. He can work, but not too much. No fighting with him. Don't make him cry. Myungsoo... eat healthy foods with him. Caffeine is to be lessen too. Check his medicines ALWAYS. Exercise with him."

 

Soohyun pauses and walks towards me and Sungyeol's mother.

 

"Please... please convince him for a heart transplantation operation... that could save him. If his condition worsen, we'll lose him..."

 

Everyone in the room fell silent again and I can hear sobs from somewhere across the room but didn't bother to look who it was. I'm shivering. I'm ing shivering and it's making me weak every second. I don't know where to focus.

 

Our ed up situation. Or Sungyeol's condition.

 

I was brought back to reality when Minhyuk speaks again.

 

"Please Myungsoo... we could lose him if we don't hurry. Yes, he's having the same severe heart failure every now and then and it's only natural since he's been in a situation where he was ed up. And yes, he's still okay. And he'll be okay for as long as he stick to the medications. But I'm just saying the truth... the time will come when the medicine won't help him ease the pain anymore... he'll die, Myungsoo, if that happens. Sungyeol's body and instinct might be keeping up with this because he's been having this since he was little, but trust me... we can save him."

 

Soohyun pats my shoulder and hug Mrs. Lee who was crying. "I've been very careful, Mrs. Lee. Mr. Lee. Myungsoo.... we have been ready for him anytime. He just needed to say yes. Think about it and talk to him about it... we'll make it if we hurry now."

 

Soohyun is long gone and everything he said was stuck in my head. Sungyeol doesn't want to undergo in that operation... but it could save him. No. It will save him. And if that happens... he'll be okay. He'll be healthy. We won't worry anymore. But...

 

I take it all down internally as he speak and I only nod. After all of that, I didn't let go of Sungyeol's hand and sat down beside him.

 

"We're moving in after he got discharged."

 

They all fell silent and I turn around to look at them. "Is it okay, Mrs. Lee?"

 

The lady smiled tenderly at me and approach me to give me a hug. "Of course, Myungsoo. We won't mind that."

 

She look at Sungyeol's Dad asking for permission and I don't know why he turn to Dad giving the same facial expression Mrs. Lee has. But I didn't mind them and turn my back at them.

 

His grandparents approach Sungyeol's bed and I can't stop myself but glare at them coldly.

 

They held Sungyeol's hand and grip it tightly. And I can that Sungyeol's grandmother is teary eyed. The she suddenly hit the grandfather.

 

"I told you not to be hard on him!"

 

I raise my brow to amusement. I thought they're one heck of a strict grandparents. But all I can see is love, worry and admiration towards Sungyeol.

 

They slowly raise their heads to meet my gaze and I only smile. I don't know why though.

 

"Myungsoo, for how long will you be staying in the mansion with Sungyeol?"

 

I shrug. "Depending on him. If he feels okay, then we'll go right away. The important thing is him being comfortable."

 

"Kim Myungsoo... can I... can I t-talk you for awhile?"

 

I fell silent. My friends are alert to whatever is happening. Sungyeol is still gripping my hand tightly, but I managed to free myself and asked Mrs. Lee to change with me for awhile.

 

I then nod to the Oldest Lee and followed him outside after giving my friends a look of not to worry and stay behind for Sungyeol.

 

I followed him till we reach that floor's waiting area near the bending machine and the staircase. We seated on the bench. I was nervous. But not because of his grandfather. But because Sungyeol might wake up anytime since Minhyuk told me his body isn't immune to sleeping pills and doesn't react to it much.

 

Silence filled in that side of that floor and I don't have the guts to break it. And thank God, he talked first.

 

"My grandson... he's my everything. He always makes me proud with his achievements. Planning on GSSC at the age of 10, owning it as soon as it was established, and now it's still running... when he first came to me to ask for permission to marry a m-man... I was terrified. Not because I don't approve of it... but because of what society could say. You too... you're also the best in your field. Your father's pride and possession... don't ever think I never investigated you.."

 

I heard him sigh beside me but I continue sitting there quietly. "When you guys met in London before he had an accident... I knew then that if he really is a g-gay. I've given him his freedom before he started attending middle school, but he's still under our care and therefore needed to be look out to... I'll accept whoever it is he'll have. Just as long as he could see a future with him and worth it, why not... and since that one is a sensitive issue, I tried to be strict on him... I wanted to test everything. If he really is ready to keep this relationship. When he came to me in Spain, I was so surprised that he wanted a life with you. The same guy he met in London, the reason for his accident that causes him to lost some of his memory.. and probably the only man he'll ever love. Even if he had forgotten about you in awhile, even if he had to go away without telling you anything. You stayed. Your feelings remained. And still overflowing inside you... and now I can see how he won't manage without you... I wanted to say sorry for keeping him for too long... but you have to believe me that it's for your own good. I wanted to test you guys if you're really meant for each other. That you can face this together..."

 

He paused for awhile and held my hand that I face him. Our eyes met for the first time that day and I can see where Sungyeol's, Daeyeol's and Mr. Lee's eyes came from. Full of pride and arrogance. But very truthful and loving eyes that only someone dear to them could see.

 

"Keeping his feelings for you. And you keeping your feelings for him despite not having the communication line to connect you two with that distance between you... I can say that you two are really meant to be together."

 

Everything sinks in now. Sungyeol is a hard man. A very proud one. He can put the world over his palms and play with it. He can be someone that could crush you in one go. He's changing depending on the situation. He stayed in Spain for five years and even if he wanted to comeback, he restrained himself and continue staying there to prove my Dad his worth, and to gain his grandparents' approval, even if he's having a hard time. He's there for us. For me.

 

How could I be someone deserving for his love?

 

I shook my head and bit my lips. Trying my best to shake the tears away. "I... I d-don't know w-what to say... I do not deserve Sungyeol... he's... he's just too m-much..."

 

"The only one who could say that exactly is Sungyeol... can't you see it in his eyes? He needs you."

 

"I k-know.... but seriously... I don't know what to say, Sir..."

 

"How about, "I'll stay with him forever?"

 

I froze and look at him. He's sincere. He really is.

--

Dongwoo's POV

 

"Sungyeol-hyung is gonna be okay, right Hyungs?"

 

We all turn to Sungjong who was now seated beside Sungyeol holding the others hand, while I'm holding Sungyeol's left hand from the other side of the bed. We are now surrounding him as the parents went out for awhile. They said they'll be back with our coffees and maybe some dinner from a nearby restaurant.

 

Myungsoo has been out for awhile now with Sungyeol's grandfather.

 

I then felt Howon's hands over my free hand. He kisses the back of it and lay his head on my lap for I am beside Sungyeol and was sitting in his bed, while Howon is seated on a seat near me. I know he's sleepy and that suit isn't helping him to relax either.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

He nods lightly and pouts. I know what he want. But I can't honestly tell them now... about us.

 

"If you want to sleep, go there in the sofa." I said and caress his cheeks lightly.

 

"Shut up. I want to be near you..."

 

"Hoya---"

 

I was interrupted by Myungsoo's sudden opening of the door. He says sorry and closed it again and sit on the sofa with the Woogyu couple who was listing down their guests names.

 

Imagination filled my head that moment. If me and Howon were to...

 

"Sungyeol and I are getting married..."

 

My eyes widen to that almost whisper from Myungsoo.

 

"What did you just say?" asked in unison by Howon and Woohyun.

 

"I said. Me and Sungyeol are getting married. I don't know when, but it's soon."

 

"What do you mean getting married? Why? Are they that guilty for what happened?"

 

Myungsoo shook his head and run his hands through his face. "No. That's not the case, Hyung. I... I don't know yet. But as soon as Sungyeol woke up tomorrow, we'll talk."

 

I stood up from my seat and walk towards Myungsoo who's looking so stressed. "Who suggested that? Sungyeol proposed already?"

 

"No. Oh my God, no. Not yet. I just... his grandfather wanted us to marry as soon as possible... I don't know why but--"

 

"His grandfather said that?! Is he nuts?"

 

Sunggyu was stopped by Woohyun beside him. I furrow my eyebrows and Howon gets his hands around my waist with his head over my shoulder. I know for that moment that he really is tired. And I know we have to excuse ourselves that night.

 

"Guys, I don't know what's happening, but, I think we better go now... Sungjo--- oh. He's asleep."

 

We all turn to Sungjong who was still beside Sungyeol. And yes, he's asleep.

 

"Me and Woohyun will stay until everyone gets back. I guess Myungsoo will stay. Right, Myung?"

 

Myungsoo nods.

 

I pat Myungsoo's shoulder and give him a tight comforting hug. They're facing it really tough. I don't know what to feel if Howon were the one lying on that bed. I won't be strong for that.

 

"He'll be okay, Myung... just stay with him okay?"

 

Myungsoo nods under my hug and murmur a thanks before me and Howon went out of that room.

 

When we're already in the parking lot, I found myself trapped between the car and Howon's arms.

 

"We can't tell them now, right?"

 

I pout and nods. "Sorry, Hoya--"

 

"No. Its okay. I'm not heartless to even say something right now. Sungyeol is having a hard time, and seeing him in a hospital bed, kills me..."

 

Howon's eyes got teary and moments later, his head is already over my shoulder. Hands around my waist as I listened to his small controlled sobs. He didn't cry back in the room, he's keeping it all inside him, and now it overflows, he couldn't handle it any longer.

 

"My best friend... my S-Sungyeol... I can't believe he's facing this so ed up situation... what if... what if the operation fails? And... will Sungyeol agree to it?"

 

"Sssh... Hoya, stop being so negative... Myungsoo is there. And we both noticed it right? They're okay now. Myungsoo got his back. He'll be fine. And regarding the operation... he can make it. Lets help Myungsoo convince him, okay?"

 

"But---"

 

I cut him off with a kiss and hug him tight and he sobs harder. "He'll be fine. Sungyeol will make it out of that operating room safe and stronger... we just have to be there for him. For Myungsoo and for his family."

 

"But will Sungyeol be ready for the operation? Minhyuk says he decline that suggestion."

 

"Not if Myungsoo asked him to do so."

 

I smiled at Howon and kissed him again. "Now, let's go home and get you out of that suit. I swear it's making you lost your touch, Lee Howon. You're becoming a worried freak."

 

He finally smile and nods. "Our engagement party could wait... right?"

 

"Of course, it could. I won't even try to talk to you about it not unless Sungyeol is fine, you know?"

 

He chuckle and went inside the passengers seat while I go around and open the door on the driver's seat.

--

Sunggyu's POV

 

Me and Woohyun went out for a breather since he's having a mental breakdown right now and he'll probably go insane if we don't get out of the room. We ended up in the staircase and he's leaning over me.

 

We're sitting in silence. I thought I managed to keep him away of negative thoughts inside Sungyeol's room. But as minutes passes by, Woohyun beside me started crying. Not saying anything. I just hugged him with my arms around his waist and I kissed his forehead.

 

"You're scaring me with that silent cries, Woo... what is it?"

 

Woohyun remained silent and I waited for him to talk which he did after a few more minutes of only sobbing.

 

"Sungyeol... he'll make it right?"

 

"Of course he will... that best friend of yours is strong enough for something like heart failure diseases. He'll make it Woo..."

 

"And he's still my best man in our wedding right?"

 

"Of course, Dear. He's still the best man."

 

His controlled sob became hysterical as he whispers... "I don't want him gone, Gyu..."

 

I can only hug him for that. Sungyeol keep this from us and now we're all taking it nervously. Scared that we might lose him anytime. Soohyun's words back in the room hit us all. Hard. That we can't recover from shock. This situation is serious because Minhyuk suggested the only thing to keep Sungyeol living. And that is Heart Transplantation. I'm not in the medical field, but I somehow know something about those kinds. And Woohyun is in the medical field, and that somehow helped him to understand the situation and seeing him like this means, he knows what could happen during that operation to Sungyeol. If he say yes, that is.

 

After a while, I turn to Woo's crying face and asked him something that terrified him again. "Is he ready for the said operation?"

 

"I... I don't know Gyu... all I know is... not everyone make it outside breathing after that operation..."

 

I shush him again by a Peck. "Nam Woohyun, we're talking about Lee Sungyeol here. Do you honestly think he won't make it? Don't be ridiculous. We know him too well and he won't be killed by this condition of his."

 

That kinda calmed him down and he broke a tiny smile. "You're right... he's my best friend.... I trust him."

 

I smiled. "All we have to do now is... help Myungsoo convince Sungyeol to take the operation. I don't want him gone either. And I know the readers don't want this story to end with Sungyeol dying."

--

Author's note: I hate myself for giving my Yeollie a hard time. Darn it. HAHAHAHA are you guys still there? Leave a comment. :)

I'm back, and happy because I know i ace the exam. HAHA <3