Chapter 26

Changed

 

Awkwardness (Part 1)

Chapter 26: Awkwardness (Part 1)

[Recap of Chapter 25]

Not long later, Aaron came down and ate breakfast with Guigui. After they finished their breakfast, they went to the hospital to visit baby Lucas.

“Are you baby Lucas’s parents?” The nurse asked them.

“Yes, did anything happen to my baby?” Guigui asked in a frantically.

“No, the baby can be discharged today.” The nurse announced the good news to them.

“Really?” Guigui asked happily.

“Yes, can one of you please come with me to finish the discharge form?” The nurse said to the both of them.

“I’ll follow,” Aaron said to the nurse, “Gui, you go and pick up the baby, meet me at the lobby.” Aaron informed Guigui.

Guigui carried Lucas and wait at the lobby for Aaron, after one week, Lucas was finally with his parents. Aaron went to the lobby to find Guigui and the three of them then go back home to celebrate.

[End of Recap]

It was their first night taking care of Lucas. During the night, Lucas will cry and Guigui will have to wake up every two hours to feed him.

“Aaron, your turn, I’ve finished feeding him. It’s your turn to put him to sleep.” Guigui said to a sleeping Aaron.

Aaron was sound asleep. Guigui have no choice but to put him to sleep. Guigui was tapping Lucas to sleep on the sofa in their bedroom when she too also falls asleep while holding on to Lucas. Aaron woke up and found that Guigui was not beside him. He sits up and turns to find that Guigui is sleeping on the sofa with Lucas.

“Silly girl.” Aaron murmured.

He walked towards Guigui and carry Lucas while letting Guigui sleep comfortably. He looked at the distinct features of Lucas. Lucas’s eyes looks like him, his mouth looks like him, his face and nose looks like Guigui. Aaron decided to propose to Guigui again on Lucas’s birthday one year later. Aaron put Lucas back to his cot and answers his phone which is ringing.

“Hello. Aaron here.” Aaron said.

“Aaron, mum here. We are coming to visit you tomorrow.” Mrs Yan said to Aaron.

“Oh, alright then. I’ll inform Guigui later.” Aaron answered before hanging the phone.

Guigui finally woke up; she stretched her hand and realized that Lucas is not in her arms. She stood up frantically and found that Lucas is sleeping soundly in his cot while Aaron was looking at him. She walked toward the cot and hugged Aaron from the back.

“You liar, I’ve to put him to sleep yesterday.” Guigui complained.

“Gui, my family is coming over tomorrow.” Aaron said.

Guigui was shocked at first; she released the hug and walked towards the sofa before replying, “Oh is it?”

“Come on baby, don’t be like this. Mum won’t blame you.” Aaron tried to pacify Guigui.

“Anyway, I’m going to visit my parents tomorrow. I’ll take Lucas along with me.” Guigui said to Aaron.

“Baby, you can’t avoid my parents forever right?” Aaron tried to reason with Guigui

“I’m not avoiding them.” Guigui argued back.

“Come on, can you please change your visit to another day?” Aaron tried to persuade Guigui.

Guigui looked at Aaron and replied, “Fine. Other day then.”

(The next day)

Guigui changed and dressed Lucas up before taking him down to wait for his grandparents. The doorbell rang, Aaron went to open the door.

“Guigui.” Mr and Mrs Yan called out in unison.

“Gui.” Wangzi called out.

“Uncle, Auntie, Wangzi.” Guigui greeted them.

“Aaron, I’ll go and buy some grocery.” Guigui informed Aaron.

“I’ll follow you.” Wangzi suggested as he can sense that Guigui is unhappy.

“Alright.” Guigui replied.

Mr and Mrs Yan were busy admiring Lucas when Mrs Yan asked Aaron about their wedding.

“Aaron, when are you holding your wedding?” Mrs Yan asked Aaron.

“Guigui doesn’t want to get married yet.” Aaron answered.

“What! She is already a mother and she doesn’t want to get married?” Mr Yan replied sounding furious.

“Mum, dad, give me some time.” Aaron pleaded with his parents.

Meanwhile, Wangzi is trying to cheer Guigui up.

“You aren’t happy that we are here?” Wangzi asked Guigui.

“No. I was more than happy to see you after so long.” Guigui replied with a smile.

“What about my parents?” Wangzi asked again.

Guigui pondered before changing the topic again, “Wangzi, what would you like to eat for dinner?”

“Gui, don’t avoid my question.” Wangzi said to Guigui.

“Western or Chinese food?” Guigui asked again pretending that she did not hear what Wangzi is saying.

“Gui, why did you become like this?” Wangzi asked Guigui again.

“I think Western food is better.” Guigui said.

Wangzi hold on to Guigui’s arm and make her face him, he asked again, “You are still angry with my parents.”

Guigui’s gazes moved from the left to the right but not straight into his eyes.

“Am I right?” Wangzi asked in a serious tone.

“Wangzi, it’s hurting me. Release your hand now.” Guigui said to Wangzi.

After shopping for the grocery, they head back home, but there awkwardness fills the air throughout the whole journey. Once they reached home, Guigui pretends to be friendly and act as though nothing had happen.