Random Mix: Reprise

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Hi everyone! It's been more than 2 months now. I feel quite guilty so here is a literal dump of 7 stories that should make up for my absence (I hope T.T)

These stories feature BobDong, JunDong, BinDong, ChanDong (no particular order) in different genres, styles, and lengths. Some are skeletal drafts/prompts for a fic that didn't push through, while some are written as is. Regardless, I hope you'll enjoy each one, if not, some of them ^^

I also included some notes before each ficlet just to give a bit of context but it's perfectly skippable.^^

Long time no see. Let me know your thoughts, as always.

(Will most likely edit this out for errors later on)

 


 

 

1.

(A/N: This is really old so my writing style might seem different. This was a prompt for a BobDong College!AU long shot…)

 

 

Donghyuk wears a tired expression as he makes his way up the stairs towards his apartment. Really, why does he have to be the only one to handle all the presentations for their team? Their excuses weren’t convincing too, given all the talks of parties and dates down the school halls. If only Junhwe isn’t in a different timeslot. He’ll take him over his groupmates despite their constant clashes.

 

Cracking his neck to relieve tensed muscles, he stops on the top of the stairs and digs a hand into his pockets. Before he could take out his keys though, he notices a person hunched up beside his new neighbor's door.

 

He stiffens almost instantly because it's his new neighbor himself, looking as gorgeous as he was the day Donghyuk first saw him.

 

Said gorgeous neighbor (who he fleetingly saw three times and hadn't spoken with) looks up to him, surprise evident on his face before showing a toothy, sheepish smile.

 

"Hey. You're Donghyuk right?"

 

"Umm," Neighbor-nim know his name? The shock blanks his mind out for a second. "Yes."

 

"Finally got to meet you. I'm Kim Jiwon. You can call me Bobby."

 

Bobby hops off to stand, dusting off his pants. Donghyuk gulps and discreetly returns his keys back to his pocket.

 

"Bobby." He nods with a shy smile. "How did you know my name?"

 

"The landlady told me the day my roommate and I moved in. Saw you leaving the building so I asked her who the cute guy was."

 

He blushes instantly at the nonchalant compliment. Being called “cute” is nothing for Donghyuk now since he always hears it from everyone he knows, but somehow hearing it from his neighbor feels different. It’s as if he’s given the compliment for the very first time.

 

Bobby seems pleased for making him flustered, if Donghyuk’s going to judge the easy smirk on his face. He opens his mouth to say something when there’s a particularly loud thud from inside Bobby’s apartment. Bobby cringes when more weird noises softly seep through the window gap.

 

"So, yeah...” he raises a hand to sheepishly rub his nape. “Hanbin, my best bud and roommate, brought his bf back and now I'm stuck here as they…"

 

The intentional trail-off is enough explanation. Donghyuk blushes again and thinks, eyes swaying between the ground and his neighbor. Forget diving into his sheets and getting sleep as soon as he can, this is a chance. He should take the initiative.


"Wanna hang out in the meantime? There's a coffee shop down the road, near the supermarket."

 

The way Bobby’s face lights up almost made Donghyuk giggle. It’s so cute.

 

"Oh, yeah! Passed by that place a couple of times."

 

“They have great 3 cheese burger sliders, if you’re into that.”

 

“Are you kidding me? Cheese-loaded burgers are totally my thing.”

 

There’s a pause in the conversation but it isn’t awkward. Bobby grins widely and Donghyuk grins back, both of them silently acknowledging an instant connection, or that’s what Donghyuk hopes. It’s not always that he can come across someone he can truly click with. Don’t get him wrong, though. His friends are all awesome: Yunhyeong is the nicest hyung in the world, Junhwe is someone trustworthy even with the constant lack of common sense, and Chanwoo is a dependable dongsaeng despite his mischievous tendencies. But Donghyuk never had someone he can connect with to a really deep level, someone who he can share a piece of both his heart and soul with. It’s risky to expect and hope, but he strongly feels this person, Kim Jiwon, might be the one.

 

Of course, Donghyuk doesn’t know that in the near future, he’ll end up being closer to Bobby than anticipated. That Bobby will eventually move out of his shared apartment with best friend Kim Hanbin, reason being that Hanbin will continuously fail to be “courteous” about the boyfriend (aka 4th year sunbae Jinhwan who Donghyuk will meet after the cafe hang-out) - and will end up moving into Donghyuk’s place next door instead. He will never guess that someday, they’ll end up sharing more than just a piece of themselves to each other.

 

But for now, Donghyuk satisfies himself with letting new friend Bobby lead him out of the building. An arm is slung around his shoulders - a quick show of familiarity for someone he just met minutes ago, but that’s fine. He’s looking forward to where this will go. He has a feeling he’ll like it very much.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

 

2.

(A/N: Not much to say here only that it’s BobDong again, non-AU!, and written in a style I was trying to get into. Not that it’s very different from my usual. Also, it’s not fluff. :))))) )

 

 

“Wanna try kissing?”

 

He asked it as a joke, taking advantage of the merry atmosphere and the cozy air brought out by their boisterous laughter and the linking of their arms. Donghyuk adds a smirk for emphasis, as if the question itself isn’t enough to make the joke obvious.

 

But Bobby stares at him a little more than enough, mutters “Okay” with the same kind of smirk he showed, then presses his lips on his slightly chapped ones. It lasted for a few seconds. Three, four, Donghyuk isn’t sure. But it lasted enough for him to believe it really happened.

 

“I was only joking.” He whispers breathlessly.

 

Bobby shrugs, leans in again for another. “The atmosphere said you aren’t.”

 

That means Donghyuk didn’t hide his feelings as well as he hoped.

 

What does Kim Jiwon mean with “Okay”, then?

 

 

--

 

 

They’re together. He and Kim Jiwon are boyfriends. Lovers. Soulmates.

 

That’s what Donghyuk likes to believe Kim Jiwon’s answer is.

 

One kiss at a time. Then it evolved into two and more. They make out without any shyness now. Bobby pulls him close when they get bored of writing lyrics and melodies, leaning in without a word and Donghyuk would be smiling as soon as their lips touched. When the night is particularly cold, hands would be snaking underneath shirts, and tongues would be dancing as both a taunt and an invitation.

 

They never go past a certain line, though.

 

Maybe that is why Donghyuk harbors a small doubt in this… thing they have.

 

Because past the fiery intimacy and the gentle smiles, there is a wall that refuses to crumble. A wall that stops Donghyuk from crossing to the place in Jiwon’s heart that he wants to claim. Cracks are evident here and there, enough for Donghyuk to peek to see what’s on the other side. But Donghyuk won’t look; he doesn’t want to. It’s easier to pretend he doesn’t know what’s in there. Who’s in there.

 

Easier to believe he can take down that wall, even though it’s Kim Jiwon himself who patches all the cracks.

 

 

--

 

 

They have a visitor in the studio this time. He came in at an opportune time, right before any work on music can be started. A sheepish expression is shown to them as if he knew going there isn’t a constant thing. Not at this time.

 

Guilt quickly knocks at Donghyuk for referring to the person as a visitor. No matter the frequency of their leader’s visits to their main rapper’s studio, Kim Hanbin will and should never be someone classified as a “visitor”, as if Hanbin didn’t make and share strong memories in it. As if it wasn’t him and Jiwon who were originally spending hours to make songs. Donghyuk is fully aware of it, thus against the dark parts of his mind telling him he’s more worthy to be there now, he willingly makes way for Hanbin. He willingly gives up his seat beside Jiwon, silently watching the leader claim the spot so naturally and reflexively, it’s as if Donghyuk was merely borrowing Hanbin’s space from the start.

 

And Jiwon welcomed it. Encouraged it.

 

As if a long-awaited person has returned, Jiwon eagerly accommodates his fellow rapper. Hanbin admits to missing the two of them working together on songs, and Jiwon doesn’t waste a second to agree. An arm is slung around smaller shoulders. A smile is split from ear to ear. For a moment, Jiwon meets Donghyuk’s gaze and Donghyuk can see doubt and dread flash in Jiwon’s eyes. He quickly assures the other by grinning and saying he’s excited to hear a new song made by them.

 

The dread and doubt disappear then. Jiwon gives him a grateful smile, reaching up to cup his nape, his fingertips burying into his hair, before patting him affectionately. Donghyuk’s heart soars and breaks at the same time.

 

They insist he stay there so he does. They asked him to sing for the song they’re making, so he does. They joke around, cling to him, and laugh like they’re having the most fun in months, so he laughs too. Throughout all of it, Donghyuk sees the difference. And the disparity is too obvious to him that he has no choice but to acknowledge.

 

No kisses are shared but their gazes show the sentiment all the same, if not more effectively. No heated touches are exchanged but passion is present in tender brushing of fingers and the subtle pressing of limbs. No flowery words are said but somehow he can hear them echoing in all four corners of the studio.

 

And like a fool, Donghyuk can only watch. Take it all in because he always knew.

 

 

--

 

 

“Hyung, what are we?”

 

It’s one of those nights. His neck still feels warm from all the kisses pressed onto his skin, and Bobby’s hair is still dishielved from being carded by his fingers.

 

This happens more often now. Ever since the day Hanbin showed up at the studio. His… hyung became more affectionate too. Both in his words and actions, as if he’s compensating for something.

 

“What?” The big grin on Jiwon’s face falters. “What kind of question is that?”

 

Donghyuk knows the question thrown back is a tactic to stall, to avoid, to give him a chance to take it back. And he can see his hyung begging in his eyes. Don’t do this - those eyes say. Don’t ask.

 

“What are we?”

 

But Donghyuk pushes because as easy as it is to pretend and live in this bliss, it isn’t right. “Please answer me. We both need to know.”

 

“We’re each other’s.” Jiwon says after a few seconds of silence that seem to stretch for hours. His gaze softens so much as he takes Donghyuk’s hand in his to lace their fingers, pleading for him to take it as truth.

 

It is the truth. They’re indeed each other’s. Always have, always will be.

 

But...

 

“We’re each other’s… what?”

 

There’s an ambiguity. A severe absence of specifics. That’s the problem, the very thing that makes it a lie. Makes it more difficult for him to actually hold on.

 

If Bobby tells him the one thing he wants confirmed, just one word, anything to make it clear to him that he’s the one Jiwon chooses, Donghyuk will gladly asked to be punished for doubting him and overthinking their relationship. But as expected, Bobby remains silent, unable to answer, and Donghyuk promptly accepts. Despite the shattering of his cracked heart, he still feels relieved.

 

He leans tentatively, pressing a soft kiss on his hyung’s lips. It’s too gentle for the kind of talk they’re having. Too gracious with the assuring gaze he has after doing it. A raised white flag; a curtain call, and Kim Jiwon gets it. He’s tensed and looked torn, contemplating for a long moment before leaning in to kiss Donghyuk back. The kiss is almost the same as what Donghyuk gave, but there’s a heavy sense of guilt and shame.

 

“I love you, hyung.”

 

He has a lot more things he wants to say. Don’t be guilty. He could have said no, but he didn’t. He could have stopped this early on, but he didn’t. Yeah, he’s been used, but he also used in return. They took advantage of each other’s weaknesses. Of each other’s love - even though they’re different.

 

“I’m sorry Donghyuk-ah…” Bobby grits his teeth and cups his face, tears running down his cheeks as he painfully whispers. “I’m so sorry.”

 

Donghyuk can only smile.

 

“Me too.”

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

 

3.

 

(A/N: Hanbin x Dong. Reserved for my Donghyuk bday ficlet update, but eh. We need more leader and former maknae stories so here it is.)

 

 

It was a particularly warm night in the middle of July when Donghyuk started getting his bed stolen by Hanbin. It wasn’t often, however, but there were enough incidents that Donghyuk isn’t surprised anymore when he sees the tired body of his leader sprawled over his bed.

 

When it first started, he had just escaped a forced midnight session of gaming from Bobby’s room. It took a lot of intentional whining and meddling for his hyung to finally send him away, blaming him for losing against Chanwoo. Donghyuk gave the rapper a victorious smirk, laughing when a pillow was thrown at him as he left the room. He was looking forward to collapsing straight on his bed to get that much-desired sleep, when he sees Hanbin already there.

 

He would have nudged Hanbin on the leg repeatedly until he wakes up, but one look at his face and Donghyuk decides against it. Hanbin had looked dead tired; mouth slightly parted to take in deep breaths and his limbs limp as a damp cloth. It’s as if even daring to wake him up will be considered a cruelty, and Donghyuk isn’t cruel. Taking only an abandoned pillow on his lounge chair and his phone charger, Donghyuk went up to the upstairs dorm to claim Hanbin’s empty room for the night instead.

 

Of course, Hanbin ended up apologizing to him the next day. He said he didn’t even know why he went to Donghyuk’s room to sleep, that he didn’t even remember doing it. Donghyuk concluded it might be some sort of an after-effect of fatigue, so he’d advised his leader not to push himself too much.

 

“Next time, you might end up sleeping in the bathroom.”, he’d joked. Hanbin snickered at that then promised it won’t happen next time.

 

But it did happen again, 3 days after. Then there’s a gap of about a week and Donghyuk finds himself going upstairs to Hanbin’s room again. By that time, the others already took notice and asked him if there’s some sort of arrangement he and Hanbin had in regards to it. There’s none, of course and he can’t explain why Hanbin kept going to his room.

 

“Maybe he misses that room? It used to be his with you and Junhwe for years.” says Yunhyeong in an attempt for a logical answer. Chanwoo and Junhwe were quick to dismiss it with laughter, while Jinhwan and Bobby are more open-minded.

 

“I think it’s not far-fetched.” Bobby says with a shrug. “Remember during our debut days? When I’m really tired and stressed, I’d go to my auntie’s house and sleep there for a night.”

 

Jinhwan nods in thought. “Hanbin’s case might be similar. The important thing is Donghyukie’s not against it, right?”

 

The question caused the remaining occupants of the living room, including Hanbin himself, to look at Donghyuk. He said “Yes” quickly because more than the slight irritation, he’s concerned for Hanbin’s stress levels and health.

 

He voiced out those worries and as usual, Hanbin just waves them off, telling them that he’s “used to stress” before joking that at least he didn’t end up sleeping in Junhwe’s room. Further discussions on their leader’s health was subtly shut off at that, probably reserved for a one-on-one with their mat-hyung, so the usual jokesters closed the topic by making fun of Junhwe’s disorganized room.

 

As they disperse to do their own things, Hanbin pulls Donghyuk aside with a rather firm grip on his arm. A shy smile is on his face, his hand reflexively letting go of Donghyuk’s arm to hold his hand.

 

“Sorry about this Donghyuk-ah. If you want, you can kick me out next time.”

 

Ignoring the warmth in his chest for the skinship and the soft tone of his hyung, Donghyuk smirks and nods. He asks if he can really hold on to the leader’s word, that it seems fun to actually do it. Hanbin gulps and tells him not to kick him so roughly, so Donghyuk laughs.

 

“As if.” he playfully sticks his tongue out. “No way I’m gonna do that to my hardworking hyung.”

 

Hanbin gives him a tender look, somewhat grateful and somewhat guilty, as he gives their joined hands a squeeze.

 

 

--

 

 

It became a routine. Whenever Hanbin works in the day and comes home at night, Donghyuk will most likely find Hanbin already on his bed. Sometimes, Jinhwan will text him about it so he could just go straight to the upstairs dorm.

 

When Hanbin sneaks in at daybreak, however, is a different story.

 

Donghyuk freaked out when it first happened, accidentally elbowing Hanbin when he realized there’s a pair of arms around his waist and the breath of another person bouncing on his nape. Hanbin, too invested in his sleep, had only stirred a bit to say sorry before falling asleep again. It took Donghyuk about half an hour of calming down before the call of sleep comes to him. Hours later, when he was done with a late afternoon dance practice and Kim Hanbin had just woken up, Donghyuk is greeted with the leader doing a dogeza on the downstairs’ living room floor. It almost looked like a whole joke with Yunhyeong and Junhwe snickering at the side, and though Donghyuk is tempted to laugh, he chose to spare Hanbin more embarrassment.

 

“I’m sorry for sneaking up on your bed when you’re already asleep! Please forgive this stupid hyung!”

 

Donghyuk clicks his tongue in mock annoyance, just to tease Hanbin a bit, before crouching down to meet the other’s eye level. He pats Hanbin’s head.

 

“It’s okay~ you worked hard, hyung.”

 

Junhwe complains about him being no fun while Yunhyeong announces about making an early dinner for them. Donghyuk grins and offers a hand to Hanbin so they could stand up together. Hanbin accepts.

 

And then, when they’re already standing up and their two onlookers left them for the kitchen, Hanbin pulls him closer for a brief hug. A sigh of what seems to be relief is released while Hanbin squeezes him in his hold. It’s tight to emphasize their contact, but also gentle to make him feel he’s cared for.

 

The leader rarely tells him affectionate words seriously and even though such words aren’t spoken at all, Donghyuk somehow hears them loud and clear through his actions.

 

If Kim Hanbin can sleep easier with his presence, so be it.

 

 

--

 

 

It’s night and Donghyuk manages to secure his bed this time.

 

He doesn’t expect Hanbin to sneak in since the leader’s in a self-appointed deadline, so he makes himself comfortable in the bed. Donghyuk snickers at himself upon realizing the train of thoughts he had regarding his own room. Now it feels a bit strange not seeing Kim Hanbin’s sprawled body on his sheets.

 

Perhaps that’s also the reason why he’s no longer surprised when Hanbin eventually sneaks into his bed. Donghyuk wakes up at the feel of lean arms around his waist, the familiar warmth from Hanbin’s steady breathing and, if Donghyuk’s half-asleep mind isn’t playing tricks on him, a mumble of “good night” pressed on his nape with a kiss. The ghost-like kiss is new but Donghyuk still relaxes, lets Hanbin pull him closer to spoon him, before letting sleep drag him back to dreamland.

 

A question of why Hanbin’s doing this passes in his mind, but it’s as fleeting as the vague images in his dream. It’ll just be a subject to ponder and discuss between them for another day.

 

For now, rest.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

 

4.

 

(A/N: JunDong AU. I really like this piece. It’s supposed to be part of an office!AU iKON short story collection but I never had the time to fully plot it out.)

 

 

“Wow, look at you.”

 

Junhwe is being glared at but all he cares about is Donghyuk’s current state. When Hanbin told him he forced Donghyuk out of the office to make him rest, he’d thought the executive director is exaggerating.

 

“If you’re here to lecture me about poor personal health management and excessive work ethic, just leave and let me sleep this off.” Donghyuk snaps. Junhwe would have been impressed with that if not for the cough and sneeze combo after. He sighs and looks over the other male again.

 

Ruffled hair with some strands sticking to his forehead, heavily flushed puffy cheeks, watery eyes, and skin as pale as the white-washed celebrity photos Yunhyeong picks for his articles - that’s how Donghyuk looks. The editor isn’t cocooned in his comforter like how he usually sleeps. Instead, he’s limp underneath it with three pillows haphazardly put together behind him as some sort of back and head support. Donghyuk sneezes again and Junhwe sighs.

 

“I got some cold medicine here but it looks like it’s not gonna be enough.” He lifts up the plastic bag he’s holding to let Donghyuk see. Barley tea and Donghyuk’s favorite pudding is also there. “Did you drink your rhinitis meds already?”

 

The way Donghyuk avoids his gaze answers the question for Junhwe.

 

“Aish. Donghyuk.

 

“...I said I can sleep this off.”

 

“No. Not this time.” he states firmly, making sure Donghyuk sees he’s not going to indulge any attempts at arguments. It worked because Donghyuk shrugs and drowns himself more into his comforter.

 

“Fine…” he pouts petulantly. “I see pudding in that bag. Can I have it before I take my meds?”

 

Junhwe considers for a moment. “Did you have dinner already?”

 

“...”

 

“Then no pudding until you eat dinner and drink your medicine.”

 

 

--

 

 

In a way, it feels a bit weird that Junhwe is in this role right now. A role in which he’s the one who does the scolding and the logical thinking when usually, it’s Donghyuk who does those. It’s also weird how he’s admitting this right now. Maybe a side effect of Donghyuk being sick?

 

Then Donghyuk needs to get better as soon as possible. Fortunately, he’s here to make it happen. Unfortunately, Donghyuk doesn’t have any microwave-ready leftovers in his fridge and he doesn’t know about making sickness-friendly food. Will cooking rice and sprinkling it with kimchi and crushed laver do? But Donghyuk might have trouble swallowing solid food.

 

“...Are you okay there?” Dongyuk calls from the bedroom, his coarse voice successfully carrying the question through the small gap of the door. Junhwe clicks his tongue. Does Donghyuk have superhuman senses?

 

“Yeah, I’m good! Don’t yell! Your throat hurts.”

 

He hears a significantly softer “Don’t burn my kitchen.” so Junhwe frowns and tells the other to take a nap already. That doesn’t solve his current predicament though. Ordering food delivery is looking a very viable option now, but that would eliminate the reason why he’s in Donghyuk’s flat in the first place.

 

Biting his lip, he takes out his phone and quickly opens his web browser app. Naver-seongsaengnim should tell him what to do.

 

 

--

 

 

Donghyuk isn’t taking a nap when Junhwe re-enters the bedroom with a bed tray of food at hand. The TV at the corner of the room is playing the Tuesday late night variety show they both liked, so Junhwe surmises it as the reason why Donghyuk had forgone a light sleep.

 

“Here.” he places the tray over Donghyuk’s lap before sitting at the chair beside the bed. Donghyuk stares at the bowl of congee he labored over for almost 45 minutes, taking the spoon beside it to slowly mix the badly chopped green onions in.

 

“It looks decent.”

 

“It tastes decent too.” Junhwe adds with pride. Naver-seongsaengnim didn’t let him down with the instructions. There’s the mess waiting for him back at the kitchen though, but Donghyuk doesn't need to know that.

 

He keeps an eye on Donghyuk as he takes his first bite, making sure the other swallows it and takes in another spoonful. When about a third of the congee is already eaten, Junhwe lets himself relax a little. There’s loud laughter from the TV so he glances at it, grinning at the funny antics of the variety show cast.

 

Then a sniff and a small sob catches his attention.

 

Donghyuk had stopped eating, his head lowered and his face looking sicker. There’s another sob before Junhwe pulls the chair closer towards the bed.

 

“H-Hey…” he places a hand on the other’s back and starts rubbing circles. “Do you want to throw up? Is it hurting somewhere? Want me to drive you to the hospital?”

 

Donghyuk shakes his head. “No. It’s just…” he sniffs again. “This is the first time you cooked for me and yet I can’t taste anything. I want to fully enjoy it but I can’t because I’m sick.”

 

Junhwe blinks. Of all the things, he didn’t expect that.

 

“And you’re supposed to be relaxing now but you’re stuck here watching over me.” Donghyuk glances at the wall clock then groans. “Look! It’s almost 10 pm. You’ve already worked hard for the day so you shouldn’t be working during after-hours too...”

 

It takes a few moments for Junhwe to recover from his initial shock, a sense of helplessness and fondness washing it away. He remembers Donghyuk having similar spells of melancholy like this, when he’s very stressed and tired. Often Donghyuk would just stay silent, calling him over when he has enough of being alone, and then spill to him sentiments that are usually something Donghyuk shouldn’t worry about. Junhwe taking care of him right now - for example.

 

“What did I do to deserve you?” Donghyuk mutters with a soft sniff, fingers rubbing off tears.

 

It’s the very same question Junhwe asks himself everyday, whenever his eyes lay on Donghyuk. And since it’s impossible and frankly preposterous of him to answer that, Junhwe settles with abandoning the chair to sit directly on Donghyuk’s bed, taking the tray off to the side to pull Donghyuk into a gentle hug.

 

“Shh, it’s okay. I can cook again for you when you’re well. Leave it to me.” he chuckles at how he sounded too confident. “And who cares that it’s already 10 PM? Taking care of my boyfriend isn’t an afterwork job-out.”

 

He rubs circles on Donghyuk’s back again, not letting go when Donghyuk tries to push him off.

 

“Get off June-ya. I’m still sick.”

 

“Already took a paracetamol, so no worries.”

 

Donghyuk sighs in defeat then relaxes in his hold. “I want to sleep… can I have my pudding now?”

 

Junhwe laughs and presses a soft kiss on Donghyuk’s temple, assuring him that he can eat the dessert after he takes his antihistamine.

 

 

--

 

 

The next time Junhwe sees Donghyuk is in the morning, when he wakes up after a surprisingly comfy sleep on the living room sofa. Donghyuk is crouching directly in front of him, his blanket wrapped around his body like a kid.

 

“Hi.” Donghyuk greets with a sleepy smile. “I’m sorry for kicking you out of bed last night.”

 

Junhwe snickers, remembering how Donghyuk squirmed out of his hold and smacked a pillow on him when he attempted to sleep on the same bed. Donghyuk told him it’ll be uncomfortable and too hot with two bodies under the same sheets, but Junhwe knows it was all excuses so he wouldn’t catch his flu.

 

“It’s fine.” He lifts a hand to brush Donghyuk’s unruly strands. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Better now, thanks to you.”

 

Junhwe sighs in relief. He presses the back of his hand on Donghyuk’s forehead, smiling when it’s back to a regular temperature.

 

“It’s already the weekend but I bet you’re going to do OT to catch up, am I right?” he sits up and yawns a bit, not noticing the amused smile Donghyuk throws at him. “Let’s have breakfast then I’ll drive you there, okay?”

 

“Actually, I’ll just take it easy today. Hanbin-hyung will definitely be there and I don’t want to be scolded again.” The subtle sing-song hint in Donghyuk’s tone is back and it automatically puts up a grin on Junhwe’s face. The fact that Donghyuk forgoes playing the saintly employee act adds to it.

 

“Why don’t we just laze around today, order take out and watch the drama replays,” Donghyuk pulls himself up and sits beside him, letting the blanket fall to his lap. “Plus, we need to clean that mess you left at the kitchen. Seriously, 3 pots? One of them is burnt at the bottom and rice is stuck at the other two.”

 

Junhwe clicks his tongue. He was hoping Donghyuk would let that teeny-weeny detail slide, but alas.

 

“At least I didn't leave the leftover congee right at the stove.”

 

“Yeah, I saw the container in the fridge.” Donghyuk scoots closer to him with a snicker. “My taste buds are finally back this time. More salt and chopped dried mushrooms would have made it tastier.”

 

Junhwe frowns as he internally prepares a retort. Donghyuk chuckles and does a sneak attack, pressing his lips on his briefly before smiling wider. “But I still like it. It has a nice Koo Junhwe touch to it.” he says with a soft giggle.

 

‘What did I do to deserve you?’ Junhwe’s inner voice automatically asks, like how it always does ever since they started dating 6 years ago. He grabs Donghyuk on both arms, kissing him back, before leading him out of the living room and into the dining area for some hot coffee.

 

And since they’re going to be lazing around anyway, might as well tell Donghyuk about the apartments he’s been secretly looking into for the last three months, all of which are big enough to house both their things, with a provision for a future beloved occupant. Maybe he can also tell Donghyuk about the rings he’s been (also secretly) carrying around in a compartment in his car. The hyungs told him kneeling on one knee is too cheesy, but a classic approach is sounding better for this fine morning.

 

Hopefully it’ll be a fine day too. He can’t wait to hear what Donghyuk thinks.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

 

5.

(A/N: Disclaimer: The poem in this section isn’t fully mine. I chose some stanzas from google-searched poems and added my own to it. I’m not a poet like June so please excuse my half-assed attempt ^^;;)

 

 

When Junhwe knocked on his door, Donghyuk didn’t expect his same-aged friend to present to him an 8x10 framed printed edit of a poem. The text was positioned nicely towards the upper right corner, against the black and white backdrop of a sunset on a beach horizon. Donghyuk recognizes it as the beach view in Hawaii. The way it was edited, Donghyuk’s sure Junhwe used the same app he’d used for their variety show filming.

 

A smile makes its way to his lips. It’s already been more than a month since he and Junhwe filmed for It’s Okay To Go A Little Crazy. The whole experience was pleasant and memorable for him, mostly because it was a rare chance to work with Junhwe, just the two of them, without the pressure of competition and high expectations. Watching the episode 2 nights ago made him appreciate the whole experience more, and now he also appreciates Junhwe still going to him for his creative opinions. It makes Donghyuk’s heart feel warm. And crave. But no one needs to know that.

 

“Wow. This is really pretty. Nice job using the app.” he assesses, grinning up at Junhwe. “It’s perfect as a decoration. You have to clean your room though, so you could appreciate it better.”

 

Junhwe gives him a disbelieved look. “That’s not staying in my room, pabo-ya. It’s for you.”

 

Donghyuk blinks, not quite believing what he just heard.

 

“What?”

 

“It’s yours. For… you know.”

 

For… what? Donghyuk tilts his head to think. Junhwe shrugs, looking at him in expectation as he waits. A reddish hue paints the tips of Junhwe’s ears, causing Donghyuk to not only blush as well, but to also realize Junhwe’s intentions.

 

The framed poem is a thank you gift, with Junhwe possibly timing it to give after their episode aired.

 

“Oh w-wow.” he laughs as an attempt to recover from being flustered. “You didn't have to give me something but still, thank you.”

 

“No problem.” Junhwe does this weird clearing of throat, pushing down hands on the pockets of his sweater pants. “Do you like it?”

 

Donghyuk deadpans at him. “Of course. Who wouldn’t like a gift like this?”

 

“Yeah, but I meant the poem.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Donghyuk almost blurted “of course” again but admittedly, he didn’t focus on the poem. He gives Junhwe a sheepish look, softly saying “Sorry” and “I’ll read it now” when Junhwe pouts in disappointment. The taller male nods and crosses his arms, silently telling him to go ahead.

 

The poem is short. No title.

 

To you

Who hides tears with laughter

Who counters doubt with smiles

 

Let it be known that you are so much more

Than the sum of your parts

 

Because above the music you dance

And the songs you sing

 

You are someone who inspires

Like how the stars do to a dreamer

And the moon does to the sea

 

You are loved.

 

Warmth spreads in Donghyuk’s chest, filling up his heart to the brim so it beats two times faster. He opens his mouth to say something, anything. But his mind is too blank to even give out a proper response.

 

“I can see you’re touched.” Junhwe suddenly says with an amused hint in his tone. That takes Donghyuk out of his trance enough to look at Junhwe, but that’s a bad move because he just became more flushed.

 

“I-- yes, I’m touched!” he pouts at the rather smug smirk on Junhwe’s face. “Anyone who receives a poem like this would feel grateful, at least.”

 

The smirk on Junhwe’s face melts a bit. “Then I’m glad because I meant each word in that poem. Sometimes you need to be reminded of how important you are to us.”

 

“I do tend to forget.” he admits sheepishly as he looks down, adjusting his hold on the frame so he wouldn’t accidentally drop it. Junhwe quips “That’s right!” in English using his usual comical accent, causing Donghyuk to snicker softly. He knows it’s an attempt to lift up his mood.

 

Feeling significantly lighter, he lifts his gaze back at Junhwe. “Anyway, did you really write it for me?”

 

“Obviously.” Junhwe deadpans at him. Donghyuk grins.

 

“Okay. I thought you just picked it from your Kim Taeri collection.”

 

“No, of course not! Why would you even think that?”

 

“Because the poem’s cheesy? Sentiments aside.”

 

“...That’s what I get huh.”

 

A sulky frown appears on Junhwe’s face so Donghyuk laughs in amusement. He shakes his head and places a hand on Junhwe’s arm, squeezing it in assurance.

 

“I was just joking! Messing with you a bit is better than me sobbing over this. You wouldn’t want that.”

 

“Yeah, that’ll and I wouldn’t know what to do.”

 

Donghyuk’s heart skips a beat then there’s a pause.

 

Rather than acknowledging how his heart did the flip-flop thing for Junhwe, Donghyuk takes advantage of the lull to thank him more sincerely. He gives an appreciative look at the framed poem one more time before setting his eyes on his fellow vocalist again.

 

“I’ll treasure this Junhwe. Really, thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome.” there’s a pause again. This time, with an obvious air of hesitance hanging around. Then, “I love you.”

 

Ah… how cruel of Koo Junhwe.

 

Donghyuk’s face heats up again and it’s taking all of him to calm his bursting heart. Reflexively, he laughs, taking note that the words are in reference to the poem . Still, “I love you” coming out from Koo Junhwe’s mouth in a non-playful way is rare, so he’s going to treasure the memory with the gift. The secret disappointment aside, he feels blessed to have such a good friend in Junhwe.

 

“I love you too~” he replies in a sing-song manner, hand beckoning Junhwe for a hug. Junhwe scoffs but indulges him.

 

After they pulled apart, he carefully places the poem on his desk, next to the picture of his beloved family and his beloved iKON.

 

“Let’s go out and eat ra-bokki! My treat!”

 

Junhwe grins and cheers with a Bruce Lee sound-effect. “Now we’re talking!”

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 


 

 

7.

(A/N: This is looking like the main piece here judging by the length haha. I’m always skeptic about this because there are times when I’m in love with this story but sometimes I also dislike it, so this has been stuck for months in my drafts. I think it depends on my mood XD. Eventually decided to post it, as you can see. Maybe some of you, dear readers, might actually enjoy it…)

 

 

It’s 11:24 in the night, they have a scheduled photoshoot session tomorrow for NYLON Japan, yet here they are doing something they shouldn’t be doing. But that little fact had already slipped out of their minds a while ago, and at this point bringing that up would be unfair.

 

A particularly deep groan from Junhwe pulls Donghyuk back to his sound senses for a moment, enough for him to take out a hand from Junhwe’s hair to put it on Junhwe’s arm, squeezing it to remind him to keep any noises down. The walls in this hotel are thinner than the other ones iKON stayed at and though they left the TV on for additional “soundproofing”, they really wouldn’t want their neighbors catching any hint.

 

Junhwe meets his eyes for a moment before leaning down to drown out another groan with a kiss. Donghyuk kisses back and lifts both arms to wrap them around Junhwe’s neck, pulling him closer and letting the warmth from his soft gasps bounce on Junhwe’s skin. Junhwe loves when he does that, especially when they’re at the height of being drunk in each other. Donghyuk admits to craving that state as well - at that very moment when nothing else matters except each other and their feelings. Or whatever they pretend those feelings are.

 

The thing is, he and Junhwe are not lovers.

 

Unlike lovers, they don’t whisper “I love you”s or any other similar statements denoting the same sentiments. Unlike lovers, when the high of pleasure calms down, they don’t show affection or even touch each other anymore. They’ll simply lie down together, waiting for their full senses to come back. One of them will dress up while saying a friendly compliment about the experience, or a reminder not to oversleep for the schedule the next day. A “Good night” or “See you tomorrow” will be exchanged, and then it’s back to normal.

 

It has been like that for almost half a year now and everything’s been fine. They know their limits, the things they can and shouldn’t do. Junhwe is very important to Donghyuk and vice versa, and it just happened that they chose to go into this kind of arrangement. In some weird, inexplicable way, it makes sense for them.

 

But recently, for Donghyuk, not so much.

 

Junhwe most likely didn’t notice anything, given how dense he can be. Or maybe he did notice but he doesn’t care. Either way, there are changes. Subtle and almost fleeting but impactful enough for Donghyuk to ponder on for many nights now.

 

Because though there are still no “I love you”s said, that same statement had popped in his mind during and after the . Though they pulled apart while waiting for the high to die down, he finds himself glancing at his side to gaze. Though curt greetings of “Good night” and “See you tomorrow” are still spoken, “Don’t leave” almost left his mouth a couple of times.

 

Much to his dread, he said it now.

 

“What?”

 

Junhwe gives him a surprised look after wearing his shirt. Donghyuk refuses to interpret what that tugging of a smile on Junhwe’s lips means, so he quickly thinks of an excuse.

 

“Your phone.” he nervously glances at the bed stand table. Much to his relief, Junhwe’s phone is indeed there. “Don't leave your phone here. Last time you did.”

 

“Oh.” No, Junhwe did not sound disappointed. “Yeah, thanks.”

 

Junhwe grabs his phone and waves a hand, giving Donghyuk one final look that makes him want to curse at himself.

 

 

--

 

 

It’s okay. He and Junhwe are still normal. They talk and laugh and touch each other like how they usually do when they’re with the other guys. They don’t pay any mind to how they act around their closest people too. That’s what Donghyuk thought, at least.

 

He’s wrong.

 

One look at Junhwe smiling softly at Jinhwan, reaching down to hold his hand, and there’s an ache. Another look at the carefree and happy smile directed at the mat-hyung, and he feels slighted.

 

To make matters worse, it’s Jinhwan himself who hammers the final nail.

 

“You smell like June.”

 

It’s another concert tour night and he’s sharing a hotel room with the mat-hyung this time.

 

“Ah, yeah. I borrowed his perfume.” he answers. That should be the end of it but Jinhwan still pushes.

 

“No, I meant his natural scent. His scent is on you.”

 

It took all of Donghyuk not to break out in a sweat. He says it’s because they’ve been close lately, and that Jinhwan is just mixing that up with the imaginary perfume he lied about borrowing. Jinhwan thankfully buys it and doesn't elaborate anymore.

 

“I’m glad you too are getting closer.” he says with a smile. Donghyuk feels guilty for lying but gives in to relief.

 

He’s still screwed though because he finds himself happy and proud for having Junhwe’s scent on him.

 

 

--

 

 

Unsurprisingly, Junhwe is understanding when he told him he wants to end the “benefits” part in their friendship. When asked why, his answer is simple.

 

“I just think we’re much better off as strictly friends.”

 

Junhwe had nodded, not saying anything for a solid ten seconds before telling him it’s fine. “If that’s what you want.” he had said. “I think it’s better too.”

 

A part of Donghyuk had tried to nitpick. Junhwe thinks it’s better, so why the long silence? Why the hurt look in his eyes? But it confuses Donghyuk, makes him overthink and doubt so he pushes the questions out the window. That was a month ago.

 

Now they’re back to how it was before the benefits part was added to their relationship. They act normally, no hints of awkwardness. They still smile at each other, laugh with each other, talk about things. But Donghyuk still feels jealous so he tries ways to stop himself from feeling that way. He hangs out more with the other members. He goes on coffee dates with Yunhyeong, he watches baseball matches with Chanwoo, he delivers food to Hanbin at his studio, and he spends more time with Bobby. Most of his time is spent working and playing around with their main rapper. Jinhwan playfully complains about being left out so Donghyuk offers to accompany him to a shopping trip next time.

 

Jinhwan doesn't make it easy for him.

 

“Great! Let’s drag June along too. It’s been awhile since the three of us went out.”

 

He wants to ask if Jinhwan actually knows. If he’s doing this on purpose. After all, Jinhwan is Junhwe’s boyfriend now.

 

But those are just dark thoughts brought up by Donghyuk’s own jealousy, and Jinhwan will never do such a thing. As if to prove himself, Donghyuk lets Junhwe tag along. He smiles and wraps both arms around their shoulders as he leads them out of their dorm, ignoring how Junhwe circles an arm back and pulls him ever so closely.

 

 

--

 

 

“Donghyuk-ah.”

 

They have their manager with them, some people are secretly taking pictures, and Jinhwan is just two aisles away.

 

He places the black shirt he’s looking at back to its rack, not looking at Junhwe. “Yeah?”

 

“You’re avoiding me.”

 

Donghyuk almost denied but he quickly realizes there’s no point.

 

“In a way.” he takes out another shirt, pretending to consider it. Junhwe mimics his actions. “Don’t misunderstand. It’s better to keep some distance since you and Jinani-hyung are just starting. We’re cool.”

 

“Are we really? Because I’m not. I don’t like you staying away from me.”

 

Donghyuk stiffens up. His hand clenching around the hanger, he glares up at Junhwe to warn him. Frustration builds up because Junhwe is looking at him as if they’re back at a hotel room, drunk in him and lost in the moment.

 

The phone cameras are still up, their manager is hanging around their aisle, and Jinhwan is curiously looking at them now.

 

“You’re getting confused June.” he hisses lowly, pushing the shirt he’s holding towards Junhwe’s chest. “Do good with Jinhwan-hyung, will you? I adore him and I don’t want him getting hurt.”

 

Junhwe moves to hold his hand, dread on his face, but Donghyuk quickly swivels out of his reach.

 

 

--

 

 

“You and June…”

 

The art of masking emotions is starting to be easy for Donghyuk. He nods at Bobby to let him know he’s listening, eyes focused on the screen of his phone.

 

“Something happened between the two of you, isn’t it?”

 

On the other hand, maybe Donghyuk isn’t as sleek as he thought he was. Looking up from his phone, he sits upright and pretends to be confused, tilting his head for added effect. Bobby doesn’t move an inch from his seat in front of his recording setup and keeps a steady gaze on Donghyuk as if he knew the truth.

 

“You don’t have to answer that. But just know that hyung’s always here to listen.”

 

Bobby grins at him and together with his comforting words, Donghyuk’s heart aches, reminds him that he’d nursed strong unrequited feelings for the hyung once upon a time. Foolishly, he’d thought getting into that certain arrangement with Junhwe will help him move on, and he did, but he’d gotten himself into the same situation he avoided.

 

“Hyung, did you know I had a big crush on you since Mix and Match?”

 

Donghyuk doesn’t quite understand why he’s saying this now, but somehow seeing the shocked face of the rapper satisfies him a bit.

 

“You serious?”

 

“Yeah.” he laughs out loud.

 

Bobby didn’t laugh along. A silence follows that makes Donghyuk nervous.

 

“How about now?”

 

“...what?”

 

“How about now?” Donghyuk is as still as a rock as he watches the rapper stand up from his seat to approach him, crouching down directly in front to meet his eyes. “It’s just a crush before, so how about now? Do you still feel the same?”

 

Yes, I’m in love with you - he’d always wanted to say. But the thing is, it isn’t Donghyuk’s truth anymore. Like the crush he’d gotten over with, his feelings for Bobby now have also been reduced to something that can’t grab ahold of the rest of his heart, because someone else is already cradling it.

 

“I…” And it’s so easy to lie too. To brush off the question as a joke but he can’t. Not when Kim Jiwon’s looking at him with such sincerity.

 

“I was in love with you, hyung.”

 

The firmness on Bobby’s expression falls. “Was. Past tense again… so it’s June now?”

 

Donghyuk doesn’t answer.

 

“Can we try?” Bobby takes his hand in his, thumb softly caressing his skin. “I didn’t know I hurt you before, and I’m very sorry, but it’s different now. Please give me a chance.”

 

Donghyuk’s heart skips a beat, a nostalgic warmth spreading in him. It’s a flame that’s very soothing, and yet it’s not enough.

 

“Can you really handle me hyung? I’m already clingy but I’ll be much worse. I won’t leave you alone.”

 

But perhaps it’s not enough only because the flame isn’t sustained. If he fans it more, maybe it can completely grow, burn out the current fire that’s lighting up his heart.

 

Bobby grins softly, gripping his hand tighter, as he leans towards his lips. “That’s fine. I won’t let you go, anyway.”

 

 

--

 

 

Junhwe finds out right away, only because Jiwon is fast to tell the whole group.

 

Everyone’s fast to cheer for them as well. Yunhyeong and Chanwoo keep on saying, “We knew it!” as they wiggle their eyes. Hanbin is more subtle with his congratulations. He smiles and clasps a hand on their shoulders and whispers, “Take care of each other.” Donghyuk personally appreciates that because Hanbin and Jiwon had been each other’s first love. He knows Hanbin’s words mean a lot to Jiwon too.

 

Meanwhile, Junhwe.

 

As Jinhwan grins, claps and playfully warns Jiwon against hurting him, Junhwe is moderate with his reactions. He smiles, chuckles at the jokes, and nods at Jinhwan’s playful threats. Jiwon obliges him even though he already knows the truth; already aware that Junhwe had once been the closest to Donghyuk intimately.

 

But at the moments when everyone’s too busy having fun with each other, too busy to pay close enough attention, Donghyuk finds himself glancing at Junhwe almost out of reflex. Junhwe is looking at him back, none of the amusement he showed minutes before, and the expression in his eyes so conflicted it made Donghyuk immediately look away.

 

Against better judgment, he pulls away from Jiwon instead of holding on to his arm, a shot of guilt causing him to do so. He realizes just as quickly and links their arms again, smiling up at his boyfriend when he gives him a gentle, inquisitive look.

 

Junhwe saw it, unfortunately. He doesn’t say anything but the heated gaze thrown at Donghyuk is enough for him to feel dread at his slip up.

 

 

--

 

 

And yet, nothing happened. Donghyuk is relieved.

 

He’s happy with Jiwon. They don’t do anything so different from their usual. They still spend most of their time in the studio, making songs and letting out their inner kid. During downtimes, they cuddle at the couch and talk about things that are both randomly silly and heavily serious. At times when pecks on the cheek and hand-holding won’t suffice, they’d find ways to satisfy their need. Short escapades at the dark corners of the YG building or long heated nights at the dorm, it doesn’t matter. Each time spent with Jiwon keeps the flame burning brightly.

 

It’s been months. Just a bit more.

 

“I broke up with Jinhwan-hyung.”

 

“I told you not to hurt him.”

 

“That’s what I did. I’ll just continue to hurt him if I stayed.”

 

Just… a bit more.

 

“...Why?”

 

“You should know.”

 

Just…

 

“I tried but it’s already too late. I’m too in love with you, Donghyuk.”

 

“No.”

 

He runs away.

 

 

--

 

 

But the locked away flame in his heart, Junhwe’s flame, sets itself free. It’s just a spark but it doesn’t take long for him to come running back.

 

“I’m too in love with you too.”

 

 

--

 

 

He lands on his bed quite roughly. Junhwe doesn’t waste a second to trap him there, making sure he’s secured underneath as he catches his mouth for a kiss. He moans into it, not bothering to hide how much he craved for the touch because Junhwe’s the same with him.

 

A voice whispers in Donghyuk’s head, reminding him of the obvious. Of how this isn’t supposed to be happening. He had a resolve. He was happy. He’s supposed to be trying with Jiwon.

 

Trying. Who was he kidding, really?

 

With his sound reasoning settling back, Donghyuk breaks their liplock and carefully pushes Junhwe off of him. Junhwe tenses up the moment he did, and one quick look at him is enough for Donghyuk to see he took it as rejection. To assure him, he sits up and cups his face to give him a soft peck - a stark contrast to the hungry ones they shared since they burst into his room.

 

“Let’s do this properly, June.” Tears form in his eyes. “There’s no other way. We’ve strayed enough.”

 

Junhwe cups his face back, the hurt on his face melting to that of understanding and even relief. He presses his lips on his temple so reveringly, Donghyuk can’t help but sob. Junhwe’s fire in his heart instantly bursts in fervor, now unmatched in it’s light. It’s so much more than what Donghyuk wants. So much more than what he thought he can get from another. And all it took was to say - to express, what’s needed.

 

“I love you. I truly love you.”

 

He’s such a fool. Both of them have been fools.

 

“And you’re right. Let’s do this the proper way.”

 

 

--

 

 

Resolving conflicts has never been smooth and Donghyuk doesn’t expect the same with Jiwon and with Jinhwan. With everyone else.

 

But it’s surprisingly not as messy as he expected. Donghyuk’s intuition about Jinhwan was right. The mat-hyung had known, or at least had an inkling of his feelings for Junhwe and vice versa, but not in the malicious context Donghyuk briefly nursed. They were given a chance and Jinhwan was willing to let go yet Donghyuk was too stubborn to take it. Nothing was explicitly said, but Donghyuk suspects Jinhwan knew he and Junhwe wouldn’t last. Nonetheless, the Jinhwan was still hurt.

 

Bobby was… calm. If Donghyuk had to describe him with one word. Calm with his anger, calm with his pain. Donghyuk is wise enough to give his most beloved hyung space. He didn’t go to the studio for awhile, didn’t tag along like how he would do when Bobby does other things. It was painful for Donghyuk too, he wouldn’t deny, and he knows things can’t truly go back between them. That’s what hurts the most but Donghyuk will accept.

 

And the others.

 

Yunhyeong was obviously rattled but he stayed neutral, trying his best to accept things as fast as he could. He didn’t treat them any differently and Donghyuk will forever be grateful for him. Chanwoo is different. He avoided them for days, letting them feel his disappointment in the cutting silence but is quick to move on. Hanbin was the most aggressive. He straight up scolded Donghyuk and Junhwe, didn’t talk to them, pretended they don’t exist while spouting scathing side comments here and there. The leader was hurt for s and no one can blame him.

 

Yet Hanbin is also the first one to patch things up. He called for an emergency team-bonding, and after hurtfully frank but much needed conversations, with a bucket full of tears, hard feelings are dropped and will be forgotten.

 

It won’t be instant, of course, especially with Bobby and Jinhwan. Donghyuk will patiently wait.

 

 

--

 

 

Truthfully, Donghyuk isn’t sure what the “proper” way is. Not when everything about his relationship with Junhwe has been unconventional.

 

But there are hints all around, so he and Junhwe followed them as a start.

 

They talked and talked. And talked. Communication was the thing they lacked so that’s the area they strived to work on. So many conversations they shared that both hurt them and made them more endeared to each other. It wasn’t easy, given their clashing personalities but Donghyuk wouldn’t want it any other way. Because at the end of it, they got to know each other better. That was a major part of fixing their relationship.

 

Another major thing: minimum intimacy. The most crucial, in fact. It made this whole thing clearer to them. Made them see whether it’s just lust that’s fanning their flame. They could have easily been disillusioned.

 

Thankfully, they didn’t. They haven't gotten past heated kisses but Donghyuk doesn’t feel any rush. Junhwe too. Verbally and non-verbally, he always assures Donghyuk about it.

 

So far so good. They talk, laugh, hold hands, embrace, kiss, and it’s perfect. Still flawed with the little hiccups, but perfect for the two of them.

 

They’re taking everything in a stride. Things will just get better from then on.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

 

7.

(A/N: I mean, it’s inevitable for me to write this kind of theme for a Donghyuk AU fic. I was planning a two-shot for this but... XD Hint: Dong's love for kids!)

 

The clock strikes 4 in the afternoon and as usual, Donghyuk finds the resident prankster of the preschool hugging his knees by the windowsill of the classroom. He sighs to himself and rests his hands on his hips, already knowing he’ll be spending the rest of his late afternoon with the little kid.

 

Jung Chanwoo is a tall 4-year-old boy who knows his basic letters and numbers well already, and has a way with the other kids to do his bidding. He’s friendly and listens attentively to Donghyuk but is also prone to doing pranks that usually ends with him having splotches of paint on his (now 5th) working apron, or Yunhyeong having a beard drawn on his face during nap time.

 

That’s not to say that Donghyuk dislikes Chanwoo. It’s actually far from it. He likes the kid and feels a sense of familiarity with him because his family situation when he was a child is similar to Chanwoo’s.

 

“Hey, buddy.” he leans on the wall beside the windowsill, offering the boy a smile as he pats his back.

 

Chanwoo looks up to him, not with the polite smile he usually gives, but with a sad pout. The kid shrugs and looks away fast but Donghyuk doesn’t mind. He doesn’t say a word as he and Chanwoo silently watch 3-year-old Raesung get picked up by his mom at the school gate. Yunhyeong’s there, greeting the mom and bidding the two of them goodbye. Chanwoo unconsciously scoots closer to him, seeking comfort, and Donghyuk’s heart will never stop aching whenever it happens.

 

“Why don’t we play baseball Chanu-ya? Seonsaengnim bought new ones.”

 

Chawoo immediately lightens up, looking up to him with sparkly eyes. Donghyuk grins at that and leads the little boy towards the playing field, hand in hand.

 

 

--

 

 

Chanwoo’s guardian is particularly late this time. It’s already sad that the standard for Chanwoo’s pick up time is an hour and a half late from 3 PM, but when it’s already 6 and there’s still no sign of the man, Donghyuk is already inclined to be angry.

 

Yunhyeong reminds him once in awhile to be understanding of the parents and guardians as well. That everyone has their own circumstances and responsibilities, and it’s not their place - as preschool teachers, to meddle or judge. But children always have a special place in Donghyuk’s heart and he can only be understanding of an irresponsible adult up to a certain point.

 

He’s back at the big windowsill again, sitting with his favorite prankster. The excitement the kid had from playing baseball already died down, so now Chanwoo’s back to staring at the view of the preschool gates, silently waiting. Yunhyeong had long gone home after Donghyuk told him he can watch over Chanwoo alone. Now, he’s impatiently checking his phone to see if Chanwoo’s “guardian” had finally answered his texts.

 

Then suddenly, when he’s about to attempt a call, Chanwoo gasps and kneels up towards the window, pressing himself on the glass as if it could help him see more.

 

“Hyung’s here!”

 

Donghyuk takes a good look at the window, taking note of the familiar black van and two men getting out of the vehicle. It’s annoying to admit, but he feels relieved they’re finally here. Some of his anger lessened because of that.

 

That doesn’t mean he won’t be saying some much-needed words though.

 

“June-hyung!”

 

He follows Chanwoo out, watching him run up to a tall man wearing a face mask, a bucket hat, and what looks to be clothes from the latest collection of Supreme (a fact Donghyuk only knew because he’s a fashion enthusiast and he’s jealous. A bit.) The man crouches down to welcome Chanwoo in his arms, carrying him up and readily offering his cheek for a kiss.

 

It’s an adorable sight. Nonetheless,

 

“It’s 6:20 PM. That’s 2 hours and 20 minutes late from your usual pick up time of 4, and 3 hours and 20 minutes late from the expected pick up time of 3 PM.” Donghyuk crosses his arms as he marches towards them, stopping when he’s about two feet away. “I know your schedule as a singer is hectic, Koo Junhwe-ssi, but you have a responsibility and as the legal guardian of your nephew, you have to--”

 

“We’re very sorry, Donghyuk-ssi.” Chanhyuk, Koo Junhwe’s manager, suddenly cuts in with a nervous tone. “Something happened at the filming site so June got delayed for hours. Please excuse him.”

 

At the back of Donghyuk’s mind, he hears Yunhyeong’s disembodied voice reminding him of patience and being understanding of his precious students’ guardians. He grunts softly.

 

“I understand. Please try to be on time as much as you can.” he inhales to calm himself more before straight up looking at Chanwoo’s uncle. The man’s face is heavily hidden by the bucket hat and the face mask, but he can see the singer’s eyes are on him. He doesn’t know the kind of expression he’s wearing, though. Donghyuk’s aware he’s been quite rude so to be safe, he softens his voice for his next words.

 

“And please inform us asap if there’s going to be a situation like this next time.”

 

“We’ll be sure to do that, Donghyuk-ssi.” Chanhyuk replies with a relieved smile. It’s a bit unnerving how the manager keeps on answering him as if the singer isn’t capable of doing that.

 

Donghyuk pushes that detail out of his mind and focuses on Chanwoo instead. He gently pats his student’s back, smiling when the little boy squirms in his uncle’s arms to look at him. All of Donghyuk’s irritation and tiredness melts away upon seeing the kid’s happy grin.

 

“Take care Chanwoonie! Let’s play again tomorrow, okay?”

 

He expects Chanwoo to nod and say “Okay!” but instead, Chanwoo reaches over to clasp his sleeve, little fingers wrapping around the fabric. The grin on his face drops and suddenly, he’s giving him the deadly puppy eyes.

 

“Seonsaengnim…” Chanwoo tugs on his sleeve. “I like seonsaengnim very much. I don’t want seonsaengnim to go home alone.” he looks up to Koo Junhwe and then, “Can seonsaengnim come with us, June-hyung? Pwease?”

 

At the corner of his eyes, Donghyuk can see Chanhyuk pulling in his lips and looking at everywhere but them. He knows the manager is trying not to laugh, given how their conversation went. He’s sure Koo Junhwe is dying to get out of here and not see the preschool teacher anymore too. Donghyuk shares the sentiment and if the singer could just gently refuse his nephew now…

 

But,

 

“I don’t see why not. To make it up to you, allow us to drop you off to your home. Or to the nearest street if you prefer it.”

 

Donghyuk can feel his jaw hang so he quickly purses his lips. The singer even pulled down his face mask to speak clearly, though Donghyuk can see discomfort in his expression.

 

“You don’t have to. Thanks for the offer, but--”

 

“I insist.” Koo Junhwe stares at him then glances at Chanwoo, who’s bright expression glooms at Donghyuk’s impending refusal. “Chanu-ya wants you to go with us, so.”

 

Another tug on his sleeve. “Pwease seonsangnim!”

 

Donghyuk takes a moment to inhale and exhale. Fine. Fine.

 

“Thank you for the offer.” he gives a business smile and gently pulls Chanwoo’s hand away. “Let me go grab my things in a sec.”

 

“Sure. We’ll wait for you here.”

 

Biting his lip, Donghyuk makes his way back to the preschool. Chanwoo tells him to hurry up, the excitement in his voice reminding Donghyuk why he’s a preschool teacher in the first place, so Donghyuk sighs in graceful defeat and fastens his pace to the office. The free ride shouldn’t be bad. Chanhyuk will most definitely do the talking anyway.

 

Far from that expectation, it’s actually little Chanwoo who will do so. The little boy will be insisting on a Q&A game that is suspiciously similar to how match-making meetings go, and the teacher and the singer will have to play along to please him. It will be a very awkward free ride that will leave Donghyuk wishing it won’t happen again.

 

But it will also leave him curious about Koo Junhwe – a change of impression that will eventually lead him to accept more free ride invitations despite wishing no repeats, being photographed by the press and tagged as Junhwe’s secret boyfriend soon after, which will further lead him to being much more. So much more than just the mistaken lover. So much more than just the teacher.

 

At the very moment though, all Donghyuk knows is he has a precious student who’s lonely and in need of more care at home. He still can’t fully trust Koo Junhwe but because Chanwoo loves his uncle very much, maybe Donghyuk can follow Yunhyeong’s advices to a T because he has a lot to work with stoic singer.

 

All the worries aside, the prospect is looking a tiny bit promising.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 


 

I still have a lot of drafts so I might do another Random Mix. It depends.

Peace, everyone! :)