A Certain Love Scenario

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Hi guys. Did you listen to iKON's Return yet? If not, go stream Love Scenario first!! (Yes, the title is a lame promotion for it. Let's support the boys as much as we can!)

I don't have plans to update just yet, but I can't resist when I received a link showing pics of June pranking Donghyuk with a toy spider during their fansign. The whole interaction was so cute TT

So here's another JunDong short fic. hehe 

(Chi, thanks for the idea and this is for you ♥)

 


 

Donghyuk is currently in a bad mood. It’s evident in the upset curve of his lips and how he’s just silent despite the miniscule chaotic bursts of friendly insults and laughs amidst their excitement over their public IGs.

 

Usually, Junhwe could easily lift up Donghyuk’s spirits with a cheesy joke or an exaggerated rendition of a love song. Junhwe sees it won’t be the case this time. This kind of bad mood Donghyuk’s in would most likely go on until some time the next day, which means Junhwe would be locked out of Donghyuk’s room for the night, and he’ll be stuck watching the other members go in there to hang out; drink drip coffee and all that fancy (which Junhwe doesn’t really have an interest in but still tolerates).

 

And yeah, Junhwe knows he’s the cause of the bad mood.

 

Yunhyuk-manager comes in their waiting room, telling them it’s time for them to enter the fansign hall. Everyone stands up from where they’re sitting, and Junhwe keeps an eye on Donghyuk as they form a straight line. He frowns when instead of standing in front of him, Donghyuk walks past, letting Yunhyeong and Chanwoo separate the two of them. That’s not the original plan and the other members know it. Chanwoo throws him a look, asking him with a curious gaze if he wants to switch places. He doesn’t waste a second to make a move but Yunhyuk-hyungnim pats Donghyuk on the back to make him start walking.

 

He hears Jinhwan mutter a rather mocking “Nice try” behind him and though it’s tempting to snark back, Junhwe just sighs and tells himself to smile for their fans as they all move out of the waiting room.

 

 

---

 

 

It’s difficult to stay focused on his job when the fact that he and Donghyuk are not alright lingers at the back of his mind. He manages to stay attentive enough for their fans though - something that should be a given, but whenever there's a lull in the flow of fans stepping up for their autographs, thoughts of Donghyuk arise again.

 

Look, he knows constantly teasing Donghyuk with his fan-given “Dongtoppi” nickname is a big risk but he can’t help it. It’s just so cute for Junhwe how the cuteness of the nickname is very fitting for a cute characteristic of Donghyuk. He was so sure Donghyuk would know his reasons behind his new obsession.

 

Okay. Maybe he shouldn’t have plotted not to like and comment on all of Donghyuk’s current Instagram posts just so he could see Donghyuk be mad, thus having the chance to use the “Dongtoppi” nickname. Now that he’s thinking more on it, it seems like a really bad idea.

 

He gulps as a sudden chill runs down his spine at the realization. Luckily, the fan talking with him doesn’t notice. All thoughts stop though when Jinhwan places a big spider toy on his shoulder. It only catches him off guard slightly and his non-reaction obviously didn’t satisfy the mat-hyung.

 

Then Jinhwan stands up as soon as the fan talking to him is done, makes his way towards their far-left side, and Junhwe watches as the hyung places the spider in front of Donghyuk. Unlike him, Donghyuk reacts with surprise and a wide smile.

 

Junhwe suddenly knows what he has to do.

 

He waits for a lull before taking the spider toy from Jinhwan’s space. He tests it on Yunhyeong first, who thankfully reacts as funnily as he hopes for, before he stands up confidently to approach Donghyuk.

 

Mimicking how their mat-hyung did it, he stands behind the other male and throws the toy so it lands flat on the album Donghyuk’s signing. Both the fan and Donghyuk jerks away in surprise and for the first time since the whole fansign event had started, Donghyuk fully looks at him.

 

He is smiling. Even wider than the smile he showed for Jinhwan, so Junhwe’s heart bursts as loudly as he laughs. Chanwoo and Yunhyeong can’t help but smile adoringly at Donghyuk’s reaction too, which means his attempt to cheer Donghyuk up (and make up to him) is successful.

 

A private coffee party in Donghyuk’s room later would be a perfect way to end the day.

 

 

---

 

 

“What?”

 

Junhwe blinks, taken aback at being greeted with a big frown as he stands in front of Donghyuk's room. Donghyuk doesn’t move from his door either, maintaining a firm stance from inside as if he’s on guard.

 

“Uhh…” he glances inside the room before looking back at the shorter male, who only frowns more. “Let me in?”

 

“Why?”

 

Junhwe blinks again, taken aback for the second time. “So we could spend time together?”

 

“Why would I want to spend time with you?”

 

“Because we’re okay now…?”

 

“No, we’re not.”

 

“What.” his brows furrow. He makes a move to go in but Donghyuk minimizes the gap of the door so only half his face is visible.

 

Junhwe gapes. “Seriously?”

 

There’s a pregnant pause as Donghyuk stares at him, contemplating. Then he scoffs and shakes his head. “Koo Junhwe, did you actually think that spider prank earlier is a proper way to say sorry?”

 

Yes. Wait, not really. But Donghyuk smiled didn’t he? His eyes were twinkling, and he seems very amused and already okay.

 

Seems - a part of Junhwe corrects.

 

“Sometimes I question myself why I’m even dating you.” Donghyuk follows up with a small pout, not waiting for his answer. The quip annoys Junhwe and before he could even think more about it, he snarks back in a mocking tone.

 

“Yeah? But you can’t keep away from me. You love me so damn much, huh?”

 

Yikes.

 

Donghyuk responds by narrowing his eyes at him and slamming the door to his face. Junhwe grimaces at himself as lines of curses explode in his head. his mouth.

 

 

---

 

 

It’s midnight and Junhwe’s back at Donghyuk’s door again. He knocks on the wood softly.

 

“Donghyuk… please, let’s talk.”

 

He waits for a long minute, not realizing he’s holding his breath until he hears light movements from inside.

 

“No.”

 

He sighs and knocks again.

 

“Please.”

 

“Go away.”

 

“I can’t.” he laughs at how his words are coming back to him. They're the truest words he could say, though. 

 

“I love you too much to do that.”

 

There’s a long minute of silence again. He’s about to give up to try his luck in the morning, until he hears what seems to be light shuffling of feet. The door knob twists and he stiffens up as a small gap is opened up to him. It’s a silent permission to go inside.

 

Junhwe releases a breath in relief. Smiling a bit, he lets himself in and silently closes the door to the deep of the night.

 

.

.

.

 

 


 

I'm so very proud and happy for the boys. Return is a big improvement from Welcome Back and it's very touching to see how it's well received. iKON deserves the best and I hope this is the start of more happy things to come. Hanbin, Jinhwan, Jiwon, Yunhyeong, Junhwe, Donghyuk and Chanwoo - thank you for your hard work!

Hug Me is totally Donghyuk's song by the way. And JunDong's. Those back-to-back falsettos are just... ♥♥♥