Fire Exit Blues 1

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

 

So work has been fun yesterday and my head's been full of ideas since last night. I wasn't able to sleep until I started tapping this on my iPad. That was 2 am. Ugh. Anyway, this is a Two-Shot. Might upload the continuation within the week. I'll correct errors later.

Donghyuk finds Junhwe crying at his secret spot in YG's training center...

EDIT: 4/18 minor corrections and some paragraph/sentence structure changes done. Will probably change/correct more if there's more time... XD....

 


 

It was purely coincidental that Donghyuk saw Junhwe crying at that fire exit corner he'd like to go to whenever he just wants to listen to his playlist and drown in music. It's the perfect place to think: clean four walls, dim to moderate lights, and no security cameras. Granted, the spot is not really a secret but in iKON, he's the only who goes in there.

 

"." Junhwe almost jumped then quickly wiped his eyes with his hands. "What are you doing here?"

 

Donghyuk contemplated just excusing himself. It’s obvious Junhwe wants to be alone because...well, who doesn't when you purposely go to a fire exit to cry instead of going home?

 

But Donghyuk is also not the type to leave someone alone, especially a close friend and brother like Junhwe. More importantly, the person also looked like he's in need of someone to comfort him - or at least listen.

 

"I usually go here whenever I want silence around me and listen to music." He explained, sitting beside the taller male. They were at the first two steps of the stairs.

 

Junhwe glared at him from the corner of his eyes. "I want to be alone Donghyuk. Don't wait up for me and just go back to the dorms."

 

"Not gonna do that."

 

"Why are you-

 

"I'm here to listen to music. I didn't know you'll be here crying." He started arranging his earphones on his lap, ignoring the glare Junhwe threw at him again.

 

"Don't worry, I won't ask you why. I'll do my own thing and you do yours. You can pretend I don't exist."

 

He gave Junhwe a tentative smile before placing one earbud on his left ear. "Though if you want to talk, just speak up."

 

Junhwe snorted and looked away, a big frown on his face. Donghyuk shrugged and placed the other earbud on his right ear before navigating through his phone and tapping on his favorite playlist.

 

Donghyuk wasn't always like that when speaking to someone. He's usually gentle and straight to the point in asking what's wrong. But it’s Junhwe and in all those years of training with him and living together in their dorm, Donghyuk learned to do a different approach in regards to him. Junhwe would most likely just ignore him but even with that, Donghyuk lowered the volume of his phone to just a soft hum - in case Junhwe decides to speak after all. He was already in his 2nd song when Junhwe finally talks.

 

"I'm in love with Jinhwan-hyung."

 

Donghyuk heard, and he didn't need to ask his friend to repeat what he said.

 

"Oh." He stopped the music and took out his earbuds. "Ok."

 

Junhwe smirked wryly. "You sound like you're not surprised."

 

He's not, Donghyuk told him. Truthfully, it’s quite obvious even if Junhwe and Jinhwan are not playing their ship tease fan service for iKONICS. Maybe even the others had suspicions as well.

 

It’s not a rare thing for them either. They're a group of guys living together for five years, sharing sweat and tears through hardships and happiness. Their survival shows only intensified their bonds and couple that with their very much limited interactions with females, it’s not a surprise if one or two of them ended up falling in love with each other. Bobby and Hanbin was one case. Donghyuk admits he had a crush on Yunhyeong, but that's only just that and he moved on without a hitch after telling his hyung about it. His hyung was even cool about it too. Now it’s Junhwe with Jinhwan.

 

"You got rejected." Donghyuk stated carefully, because that’s the only reason why Junhwe would be secretly crying like this.

 

"Obviously. He said he doesn't see me that way and that I'm always gonna be his favorite dongsaeng."

 

Junhwe sniffed then wiped his nose with the back of his hand.

 

"He looked so sorry too. Had tears on his eyes. He kept apologizing and I told him it’s alright, that I just wanted to tell him. That I wasn't expecting anything."

 

That must have hurt, Donghyuk thought with a wince. Knowing Junhwe, he said those things so it wouldn't be so hard for Jinhwan-hyung. He glanced up to him.

 

"May I know when you confessed to hyung?"

 

"...Last week."

 

"Ah...so it's been that's long." Donghyuk paused again. "I'm sorry, man."

 

"Psh. Why are you even apologizing? It’s fine. I knew it wouldn't work out for me. Maybe..." Junhwe sighed. "Maybe, I just got caught up with our fanservice."

 

"You don't have to downplay your feelings Junhwe. You fell in love with Jinhwan-hyung and that's ok."

 

Junhwe shook his head with a regretful expression. Donghyuk thought for a moment then scratched his cheek.

 

"Ok, your ship teasing with him may have contributed to it. But then, if you didn't like him from the start, you wouldn't have fallen either. Heck, I'm going between Yunhyeong-hyung and Bobby-hyung but I'm not in love with them. So are they."

 

"Yeah. Thanks for reminding me that I'm wallowing here in my tears and misery because I'm a fool for getting my heart broken for real."

 

"...that's not what I'm trying to say."

 

Junhwe sighed again, tiredly. Donghyuk sighed too.

 

"Bottom line is, you fell in love and you did your best. You knew you're gonna be rejected but you told him anyway. That's real guts, Junhwe. I'm proud of you."

 

"You speak like a mom."

 

Donghyuk grinned. "Doesn't make it any less true."

 

Junhwe quirked an eyebrow at him and then snickered, the grim expression on his face finally lifting up a bit. Donghyuk grinned wider before raising an earbud to him. The power vocal accepted it without a word, placing it on his ear.

 

"Thanks." He simply said. He smiled a bit when Lost Stars started playing.

 

"No prob. If you need someone to talk to, I'm always here."

 

Junhwe didn't say anything after that, but Donghyuk didn't mind. He's just glad Junhwe found it in himself to start singing along the song because that meant he's at least comforted.

 

He just hopes Junhwe will be able to move on gracefully.

 

 

---

 

 

Two weeks have passed since then. Junhwe stopped going to Jinhwan's room to talk. He didn't avoid their mat-hyung entirely but he stopped doing things that involves being affectionate. It’s a good thing their debut promotions are over and they're now back in the YG practice room, preparing for the mini album YG had scheduled for them to release for 4th quarter of the year. No longer will he have to keep up with the ship teases.

 

But Junhwe's behavior didn't escape the eyes of the other members. Hanbin mentioned it one night, during dinner. It didn't help that he and the others looked completely unaware of the gravity of the question.

 

"You alright Junhwe? These days you're distant even to Jinhwan-hyung."

 

Donghyuk inwardly wanted to smack their leader that moment.

 

Junhwe was visibly flustered too. From his position, Donghyuk can see that their mat-hyung looked like he didn't know what to do either. He obviously didn't want to embarrass Junhwe by telling the truth or saving him himself.

 

And since Donghyuk's the only one who knew other than the two of them, he's the one who spoke up.

 

"I think it’s my fault. I made him watch some foreign drama movies so he might be so affected with them."

 

Its kinda lame, Donghyuk knows, and Junhwe had slipped him that "Are you kidding me?" look. Jinhwan looked bewildered too. But what do they expect? If they stayed silent more the other members will be more suspicious.

 

"Yeah, that's right." Junhwe finally responded back. He gave out a convincing enough sheepish smile.

 

"Those are some really hardcore ones. Made me think of how the world works and some other stuff. I cried a few times too."

 

Chanwoo snickered at that while Bobby widened his eyes. "Oh! So that's why your eyes are red a few times last week. I thought you have sore eyes or something."

 

"If he had sore eyes then one of us should have it by now." Yunhyeong cut in amusedly. Hanbin sighed.

 

"Ok, so it’s just movies. But next time, don't go wallowing by yourself. You'll just make us worried."

 

"Yes hyung."

 

To further deviate the topic, Donghyuk started talking about the newly released movies in the theaters. The other members thankfully caught the bait. By the time dinner finished, there was already a plan to watch one and the topic about Junhwe was completely forgotten - hopefully.

 

Junhwe had tapped his shoulder when he was washing the dishes, whispered a soft but firm "Thanks", then proceeded to wipe the wet plates with a clean towel. Donghyuk just nodded and they completed the task silently.

 

He wasn't surprised when after that, Jinhwan asked him to talk in his room.

 

"So you knew? About...Junhwe?" The elder asked as soon as they're settled on his bed, backs leaning on the wall.

 

"Ne, hyung. It’s not intentional." Donghyuk smiled a bit at him. "I caught him crying at the practice center and we talked about it."

 

Jinhwan sighed, hand running through his hair. "I'm just....really sorry. Thankful and sorry. That's all I can say to him." He glanced at Donghyuk.

 

"I'm glad you caught him and he got to talk about it with you though. He needed that and as much as I want to comfort him, I can't. Telling the others will complicate things too."

 

"That's right. I'm glad I was helpful."

 

"This may be burdensome, but can you please be there for him Donghyukkie?" Jinhwan asked as he reached to hold his hand in pleadingly. "Talk to him more...or just listen if he had complaints. I'm sorry I have to ask this of you."

 

Donghyuk blinked. He kind of expected such a thing from his hyung but he didn't understand why it would be burdensome to him. He and Junhwe are close friends. Why would helping a friend be burdensome?

 

"I plan to do that hyung. I'm the only one who knew too." He smiled tentatively. "Besides, why would it be burdensome for me? Do I look like I dislike Junhwe?"

 

Jinhwan looked like he was surprised with the question. He thought for a moment.

 

"No, of course not. It’s just that you two have this tension ever since. And it didn't really go away. It’s understandable since your personalities clash so I just thought it would be tiring for you to deal with him."

 

"It’s going to be tiring alright. But who cares about that when Junhwe's feeling even worse." The younger suddenly looked alarmed. "Ah, I'm not blaming you or anything hyung."

 

Jinhwan chuckled. "I know. You're not that kind of person."

 

Donghyuk looked at his hyung, studying his tired profile. He wondered why they had to go through with this. If only everything could just work out.

 

"You've been hurt too, hyung." He gently whispered as he wrapped an arm around Jinhwan's shoulder.

 

"You did your best too. If you need someone to talk to..."

 

"Ya, I'm the mat-hyung so I should be the one comforting my dongsaengs. Not the other way around." Jinhwan teased and then placed his head on the younger's shoulder.

 

"But thank you Donghyukkie. You're always so kind. Definitely iKON's charm."

 

"Aigoo, again with that." Donghyuk laughed. "You're welcome."

 

 

---

 

 

Donghyuk didn't really need to remind Junhwe that he's there if he needs someone to talk to or just hang out with. Strangely, whenever Donghyuk slips away to go to the fire exit and listen to music, Junhwe will follow more often than not.

 

Junhwe was always talkative, but now he's more so. He talks about Jinhwan the most and after about a week Donghyuk had memorized the things Junhwe says about their mat-hyung.

 

"If there's one thing I regret, it’s the awkwardness between us now. Yeah, we're just gonna be friends but I want that comfortable dynamic we have to come back."

 

Junhwe says as he flips his phone around his hand. Donghyuk just nods while he plays piano tiles; the music listening already forgotten. The taller vocal had stated that regret for three times already since they first started having this talking sessions. Jinhwan's right. Its tiring, but he'll be patient.

 

He didn't notice how Junhwe glanced at him with a guilty look.

 

"I've said that already before, haven't I?"

 

"Yeah you did." Donghyuk said, chuckling. He clicked his tongue when he failed in the level he's playing.

 

"It’s ok. Talk about it as much as you want, until you get sick of it and do something to repair your relationship with hyung."

 

"You say it as if it’s that easy."

 

"It’s not. But if you keep going on like this, it will be harder to get that dynamic with him back."

 

Junhwe snorted. "You wouldn't understand."

 

That annoyed Donghyuk. He's tempted to retort something, but he quickly reminded himself to be the patient one.

 

"Just...try, ok Junhwe? Jinhwan-hyung's hurt too, and he definitely doesn't want to lose his friendship with you. But because he's the one who rejected you, it’s gonna be more difficult for him to take the initiative. You have to be the one to make the first move."

 

Junhwe didn't say anything but Donghyuk knew he's listening. He clapped a hand on the other male's knee.

 

"You'll never be able to move on if you don't take that first step."

 

There was a moment of silence until Junhwe sighed and stood up. Sparing a quick glance to Donghyuk, he walked towards the door.

 

"I'll leave first."

 

Donghyuk nodded and let him. Junhwe was irritated alright and he might stop going there now, but Donghyuk doesn't mind. He just told him what's needed to be said and quite frankly, it’s starting to hurt him too. He didn't want to see Junhwe and Jinhwan have this wall built between the two of them.

 

 

---

 

 

Junhwe really did stop going to the fire exit, but in exchange he steadily tried to go back to his usual antics with their mat-hyung. Jinhwan recognized Junhwe's effort without being told about it and tried his best to reciprocate. Donghyuk watched them from the background, seeing the transition from the awkward jokes to the natural laughs and arms on shoulders - just like before. A month had passed in order for them to return to how they were as much as they can. What Donghyuk noticed though, was that Jinhwan-hyung had maintained a certain distance and Junhwe actually welcomes it.

 

It was the day their title song for their mini album has been decided, when Junhwe showed up in the fire exit again. Donghyuk was surprised and had watched him walk all the way from the door to the spot beside him.

 

"So." The power vocal started, coolly sitting beside him and taking his earbud without his permission.

 

"What do you REALLY think of our title song?"

 

Coldplay's Paradise continued to play in their ears as Donghyuk realized that this is Junhwe telling him, albeit in a roundabout way, that he had finally moved on.

 

He grinned and lowered the volume a bit before telling him his honest opinion. And from there, they talked for two hours. Their topics ranging from their songs, the new foreign artists they're looking up, to the prank Chanwoo's planning to pull on Bobby.

 

They were scolded by B.I for taking too long with their break. The two of them apologized and appeased their leader by promising to add an hour to their practice that day.

 

The fire exit meetings didn't stop though. One of them would follow the other when he slips away. Sometimes the other doesn't because there are more important things to do. Two months it’s like that and Donghyuk realized he and Junhwe had become much closer than before. They have these inside jokes that only the two of them can understand, and they would unconsciously find their way beside each other during practices and even at the dorm.

 

Jinhwan noticed and gave them wide smiles. The others noticed too but didn't ponder too much about it. They always have that kind of phase in their group: getting much closer with a certain member for a period of time, but it doesn't mean the others are neglected.

 

Donghyuk admits missing having that kind of closeness with Junhwe, so he's actually thankful about it.

 

 

---

 

 

A week before their promotion cycle starts, the whole group talked about their fan service - particularly the ship teasing fanservice they'll do. Donghyuk had no complaints with his tandem with Yunhyeong. What he's more worried about was the one with Junhwe and Jinhwan because even if Junhwe claimed to have moved on, it’s still better if they avoid being paired together for now.

 

So he quickly thought of something and raised his hand to get their attention.

 

"How about we do the rare pairs this time?"

 

It’s a good thing Hanbin liked the idea. Bobby was joking if there's even a rare pair because all of them are just too close. After a quick search on the Internet and a short deliberation, the pairs have been decided.

 

As usual, Hanbin will be the "floater". Bobby is to be paired mainly with Yunhyeong. Chanwoo with Junhwe, then Jinhwan with Donghyuk.

 

Donghyuk playfully stuck his tongue at Yunhyeong when his hyung started whining about their pairing being broken up. Jinhwan, who was sitting beside Donghyuk, had tapped his arm and did aegyo as soon as he turned to face him.

 

"Take care of me." his hyung said, too affectionate that Donghyuk had to laugh. He glanced towards Junhwe and Chanwoo, only to see that Junhwe was looking back at him. Yet as soon as Donghyuk made eye contact, the other averted his gaze and made a sassy remark to Chanwoo instead.

 

Donghyuk blinked and looked away too, a weird feeling forming at the pit of his stomach. A suspicion formed in his mind but he decided not to ponder on it. At least for now.

 

He'll find out during their promotions anyway, if Junhwe actually prefers to still be paired with Jinhwan after all.

 

 

---

 

 

Donghyuk didn't have to wait for the start of their promotions because on the next time they met at the fire exit, Junhwe actually mentioned it. Sort of.

 

"Don't look too much into Jinhwan-hyung's touches and stares." Junhwe said as he flipped through his own phone. This time, they're sharing his playlist.

 

"I mean, that's how I really fell for him. I realized that when it stopped and I distanced myself."

 

Donghyuk knows but just to acknowledge his friend's concern, he nodded and hummed a bit to Ne-Yo.

 

"Hyung's really a dangerous guy. No wonder even Hanbin-hyung's confused for a time before."

 

He glanced up at Junhwe with a small grin. "But don't worry. I won't do anything that can make you jealous."

 

"As if." Junhwe snorted. "Why would I be jealous of you two?"

 

"So you've really, truly, sincerely moved on? Good for you Goo Junhwe."

 

Donghyuk was only joking, but there must be something in what he said because Junhwe tensed up. He looked like he wanted to say something but he chose not to.

 

"Just...don't fall for him ok, Donghyuk?" Junhwe said after a significant amount of silence.

 

Donghyuk nodded while he inwardly took note of the slight wavering in Junhwe’s voice. He gasped a bit when his companion held his arm and pulled it to get his attention.

 

"I don't want you falling for him." Junhwe repeated, eyes dark.

 

Now Donghyuk’s getting confused. But instead of voicing it, he nodded again and spoke an "Ok."

 

The weird feeling formed in his stomach again, this time much stronger and clearer. It didn't help that his heart's beating faster, and Junhwe's hold on his arm felt like it’s been imprinted on his skin. Another suspicion formed in his head but he quickly dashed it. No way.

 

Junhwe's just concerned for him. That's it. Nothing more.

 

.

.

.