Prompt 7: We Belong Together

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Prompt 7 for: RebBlack7

Genre: au
Pairing: June/donghyuk
Plot: arranged marriage (kinda like princess hour)

Additional details: June as prince, YG fam as the royal parents, Chanwoo as younger royal bro, Bobby as royal cousin, double b side pairing

 

I.WROTE.SO.MUCH... I kept on going until it ended up like this. Next time, I’ll have to ask you guys to give me a set word limit. (And there’s probably a lot of errors here. I’ll check later.)

I’m sure a lot of you knows Princess Hours but please don’t expect this to be like that. I’m afraid the requested double b side pairing is very subtly portrayed here too ^^;; But yeah, I hope you guys will enjoy reading this, especially RebBlack7! Tell me what you guys think ok?

 

EDIT: added an epilogue by request

 


 

 

Of all the scenarios he could have stumbled into, Donghyuk didn’t expect it to be that of the Imperial Crown Prince proposing to a student of their school. Specifically, to a close sunbae of Donghyuk’s department, Kim Jinhwan.

 

He ducked down, carefully limiting his movements so he wouldn’t be seen or noticed from behind the bookshelves. It’s not even his fault. This library might be one of the most secluded places but it’s still a public facility. Why were they having that kind of talk here?

 

“That’s not a good joke June-ya.”

 

Donghyuk winced. He could already see where this was going. Though he couldn’t see their faces clearly, the tone the Crown Prince used was not for jokes. He really wanted to go out of there asap but once he made a move to get out, he’d definitely get noticed.

 

“I’m not joking hyung.”

 

“You have to be. Why are you talking about marriage when you know what my dream is? We’re not even dating.”

 

“What…? I thought I made myself clear. I love you.”

 

“No. You only think you love me but you actually don’t.”

 

The silence after that was so thick with tension, Donghyuk could feel it in his own body.

 

“Hyung, please. If we don’t marry, I’ll be forced to marry someone I don’t even know.”

 

“So you’ll tie me down with the palace’s rules? You’re very important to me but my dream is what keeps me going.”

 

“...”

 

“I’m really sorry June-ya.”

 

Donghyuk pulled his legs more to his chest, pressing his back on the wall as the student walked out. It’s just a brief observance, but he could see the conflict on Jinhwan’s face as he walked past where he’s hiding. As for the other person…

 

He held out his breath and took a peek through the gaps of the bookshelf. The Crown Prince was just standing there, head lowered down and his handsome face bearing a very forlorn expression. He seemed to be holding back tears as well.

 

Then the Crown Prince Junhwe lifted his head, coincidentally to look at his general direction. His heart pounded in nervousness until cheers from the baseball game outside cut in the silence. He watched as the other male wiped his eyes and turned his back, walking towards the other door in the opposite direction.

 

About 4 seconds, Donghyuk waited. Then he released a breath and let himself slump on the bookshelf. He remembered Jinhwan mentioning a “special someone” before but not elaborating any further. So that "special someone" was the Crown Prince?

 

Their sunbae’s words were harsh, but Donghyuk wouldn’t blame him for choosing his dreams over a life at the royal palace. He would have done the same. Poor Crown Prince though, getting his heart broken like that. The image of the Crown Prince’s crestfallen face lingered in Donghyuk’s mind. He hoped whoever it was that would end up marrying the prince could cut him some slack.

 

.

.

.


 

The palace gates were as majestic as ever as the view loomed from Junhwe’s window in his royal car. Some tourists were taking pictures of it before turning their attention to his convoy, waving at the cars as they entered the palace premises. Junhwe gracefully exited the car, nodding to the greeting maids and chamberlains as he made his way to the Queen’s wing to announce his arrival from school.

 

Queen Sandara sat on her parlor, sipping her afternoon tea. His mother immediately smiled upon seeing him and asked how he did in his classes today. Junhwe said the usual words: that he did fine, nothing out of ordinary, blah blah. Then,

 

“Did it go well, Junhwe?”

 

Junhwe clenched his fists a bit. His mother’s expression was sympathetic and even hopeful. He wished he could say that it indeed went well. That Jinhwan agreed to marry him so he wouldn’t be forced to accept his arranged partner anymore.

 

“I’m afraid it didn’t, mother.”

 

“Oh, my son…”

 

The Queen sat beside him, taking his hands on hers. They didn’t say anything as she watched him blink back tears. She sighed and gave him a comforting smile.

 

“I know there is a silver lining in this. Perhaps this is for the best for both you and your… friend.”

 

Junhwe clenched his fists again.

 

“You have to report this to His Majesty later. Do you want me to accompany you?”

 

“No need, mom.” Junhwe snorted and gave his mother a playful smirk. The Queen pouted at him but still accepted his attempt to jest, offering another smile instead.

 

“I’ll tell the King myself.” Junhwe cleared his throat, his demeanor already resigned. “I should be the one to let him know that I’ll follow my duty now.”

 

.

.

.


 

It had been roughly 3 days since that library drama he stumbled upon. Now, Donghyuk found himself in the same situation as Jinhwan had been. This time though, it didn’t look like a refusal was possible. What was that he hoped the Crown Prince’s eventual fiance would do? Cut the prince some slack?

 

Ha, that didn’t sound possible now too.

 

“That thing your grandfather kept on saying about having you engaged to the one who’ll inherit the throne, with the jade ring and the old will… do you remember?” his mom asked him nervously. Apparently, two royal palace representatives visited their home earlier.

 

“Yes…”

 

“Well, it turns out it’s true. You’re really engaged to marry our Crown Prince, Donghyuk-ah.”

 

He didn’t want that.

 

He tried to pull out words, anything he could say, but his mind just blanked out. His mom noticed so she hesitated, holding back reasonings that would most likely upset him. Donghyuk already knew what those words were.

 

Their family was poor. His mom worked a minimum-wage job. A full scholarship was the only reason he’s accepted into a well-known art university, and his sister was invited to study in the U.S. for a year. She really wanted to go and they needed a huge amount of money. Also, their family honor. They might be poor now, but grandpa was a known cultural professor. His grandfather’s name was one of the reasons why his scholarship was granted.

 

He gulped. “But isn’t that long ago? We’re already in the 21st century.”

 

And yet, they were still under a rather powerful constitutional monarchy. Also, he had other plans in life. Jinhwan even rejected the Crown Prince, so couldn’t Donghyuk do the same thing? The prince didn’t even know he existed.

 

He gave his mom a pleading look, asking her to tell him that she was just joking, but she remained silent. She had her eyes downcast on her hands, calloused fingers lacing and unlacing with each other and Donghyuk just… lost all will to argue.

 

“Let me… I have a bunch of essays I need to do so I’ll go do them now.”

 

He stood up and took a deep breath. His mom just nodded, still looking down as he left for his room.

 

 

---

 

 

“This is your betrothed. Luckily, he goes to the same university as you.”

 

His father, King Jiyong, ws smiling encouragingly as he passed a photo to him. Junhwe thanked him formally then took the photograph, flipping it to see his fiance. He raised an eyebrow.

 

Dark brown hair, small almond eyes, thin lips. He had a cheerful smile on his face as he gave a peace sign to the camera. Pretty, he couldn’t deny it. But not as beautiful as Jinhwan.

 

“His name is Kim Donghyuk. Remember his name well. Apparently, he’s in the music faculty and his grades are one of the highest.”

 

The name rang a bell. He remembered Jinhwan mentioning a “Donghyuk” sometimes when they talk. He spoke the name with a certain amount of affection as a treasured dongsaeng and a few times, Junhwe felt jealous. Jinhwan’s in the music department as well so it might be the same “Donghyuk”.

 

Ha. What the hell was the world doing to him?

 

“We will make the announcement soon so prepare yourself, Crown Prince.”

 

“I will, father.”

 

The King smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it. His father thanked him for choosing to honor the will of his grandfather so Junhwe responds with the usual protocols, adding that he did it because it’s his duty to support his King.

 

What choice did he have now anyway? He’ll marry the guy alright, but his soon-to-be consort better not expect anything from him.

 

 

---

 

 

“Wow, your face is all-over the media. Even my parents want your autograph.”

 

Donghyuk rolled his eyes as Yunhyeong handed him a blank autograph sign board. He reluctantly took it, smiling sheepishly until he heard the whispers. Sure enough as he glanced around, his classmates were murmuring among themselves, sending him looks of curiosity and disbelief.

 

“Sorry Yunhyeong. I’m not in the mood.” sighing, he gave the board back to his best friend. Yunhyeong shrugged then patted his head.

 

“That’s fine. I’m here for you, okay?”

 

“Thanks.”

 

“A VIP invite for your wedding will be appreciated though.”

 

“Shut up.” He glared but Yunhyeong just cooed at him playfully.

 

Then someone entered the classroom, calling Donghyuk’s name. Jinhwan. He looked like he ran all the way from the 3rd year floors.

 

Everyone watched as his hyung glanced around, eyes stopping on Donghyuk before he approached. Yunhyeong cautiously greeted the 3rd year and Jinhwan greeted back, but his gaze never left Donghyuk.

 

“I need to talk to you Donghyuk-ah.” Jinhwan leaned down closer, lowering his voice. “Quick, before the Crown Prince’s entourage arrives.”

 

Jinhwan led him to an empty study room near the sophomore lounge area. The sunbae was quick to tell him what he wanted to discuss, his expression both serious and concerned. Donghyuk didn’t see anything wrong with telling him.

 

“My grandfather was apparently an important royal friend to the previous King. When he was alive, he kept saying I’m going to marry the Crown Prince one day.” he shrugged, chuckling softly. “We thought he was just joking.”

 

“So you were only forced to accept?” Jinhwan held his right wrist. Donghyuk smiled at him.

 

“No, not really. I admit accepting the engagement is more for the benefit of my family, but I’m still the one who agreed.”

 

“Still…” Jinhwan bit his lip and looked down, his grip on Donghyuk’s wrist tightening. He seemed to be arguing within himself and Donghyuk knew what it’s about.

 

“Hyung, it’s alright.” He sighed and patted Jinhwan’s hand. “You don’t have to think of doing anything.”

 

The other male gave him a curious look so Donghyuk revealed what he knew, of what he accidentally witnessed in the upper floor library. Jinhwan’s breath hitched in shock. The expression on his face was so very unsure yet his next words weren’t.

 

“Is it really okay for you? You’ll forever be restricted by the palace. Your whole life will change and it might be for the worse. I don’t want you going through something like that.”

 

But it’s already too late. Backing out now would mean gravely dishonoring his late grandfather and disrespecting the royal family. Besides, even if it wasn’t alright with him, what would Jinhwan do about it? Would he go back on his word?

 

“Well. Will hyung go back to His Highness and marry him instead?” Donghyuk joked.

 

“Do you want me to?”

 

He didn’t expect Jinhwan to take it seriously.

 

“What?”

 

“Do you want me to talk to Junhwe? I’ll do it if you want.”

 

Donghyuk couldn’t believe what he just heard. Why would even Jinhwan offer something like that when he already made it clear to their future King that his dreams were his utmost priority? But before he could ponder more on that, someone entered the study room and it’s none other than the Crown Prince himself. Bodyguards were on standby outside the doors.

 

“What’s the meaning of this? How dare the soon-to-be Imperial Consort secretly meet up with another man.”

 

He said that, but the prince’s eyes are on Jinhwan. The sunbae clicked his tongue and let go of his hand.

 

“No one needs to explain when we didn’t do anything wrong, Your Highness. Donghyuk is a precious dongsaeng of mine.”

 

Donghyuk would have appreciated Jinhwan’s words more if they’re spoken in different circumstances. Those same words would only aggravate the prince, and he didn’t even hide it with his deep scowl.

 

“I’ll talk to you later Donghyuk-ah.”

 

They both watched Jinhwan bow and leave. There’s a tense moment of silence before the prince set his angry gaze on him. Donghyuk didn’t feel afraid.

 

“Hyung was just concerned about me, Your Highness. We mean no disrespect.”

 

“Why would he even be concerned about you during this time? Does he think being engaged to the Crown Prince is something unfortunate?”

 

He didn’t answer for a moment; perhaps keeping quiet about the secret he discovered would be better. But then, the prince started saying dislikeable things about Jinhwan, and that didn’t sit well with Donghyuk.

 

“I can see why he rejected your proposal. Not only were his dreams more important, you talk of him this way even though you claim to love him.”

 

“What…? How did you…?”

 

“I accidentally heard you propose to him at the West wing library. And in case you’re wondering, no Jinhwan-hyung didn’t tell other people.”

 

The prince turned red in both embarrassment and anger. This time Donghyuk felt quite afraid but he hid it by smiling civilly. Not wanting to prolong the argument any longer, he bowed in respect.

 

“By the way, nice to meet you, Your Highness. I’m glad you’re already aware of me. I’m Kim Donghyuk, 2nd year of the music department. I hope we can try to get along from now on.”

 

He widened his smile and made his way out of the room, ignoring the slack-jawed faces of the bodyguards.

 

 

---

 

 

The Queen and the King were both head-over-heels with Kim Donghyuk and it’s making Junhwe feel sick.

 

His father was very interested in Kim Donghyuk’s high grades and volunteer activities for a community orphanage, while his mother wanted to know more about Kim Donghyuk’s specialization for his musical major. Apparently, piano was his forte but he could play guitar and compose songs too.

 

That last info caught his attention. Jinhwan didn’t talk about it but Junhwe connected the dots. The mysterious songs Jinhwan sang whenever they meet up were probably written by Kim Donghyuk. What an irritating thing if that was the case, because Junhwe had used those songs as inspiration for his photo-essays.

 

“Do not worry about your mother and sister, Donghyuk.” The Queen said, taking Junhwe out of his thoughts. “They will be given the proper honor and benefits worthy for the Crown Prince’s in-laws.”

 

Junhwe resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Kim Donghyuk straightened his back beside him and bowed in respect. “Thank you, Your Highness. My family will remember your kindness for the rest of our lives.”

 

The Kind nodded in approval and the Queen smiled more. Meanwhile, his consort-to-be didn’t even give him a single glance since the meeting started. Not that Junhwe cared about that, but the way Kim Donghyuk had been acting so honorably about the whole arranged marriage fiasco made Junhwe feel like he’s the one in the wrong.

 

When his royal parents left them alone to “talk and bond”, he stood up and sat on the opposite sofa. He relaxed his stance, hands on his pockets, and gave the other a small glare.

 

“So I guess you’re really into this for the money huh? Did you stick with Jinhwan-hyung because he’s the son of a CEO?”

 

Kim Donghyuk didn’t look fazed, causing Junhwe to frown.

 

“Acting all high and mighty now, just because you got my parents wrapped around your finger.”

 

“I haven’t even said anything, yet you’re already assuming. A future King shouldn’t be like that.”

 

“What do you know about how a proper king should be? How I even live this life? Don’t get ahead of yourself.”

 

“I can say the same to you, Your Highness. What do you know about my family circumstances? About my bond with Jinhwan-hyung? You don’t know anything either.”

 

Junhwe literally felt his own mind shut down for a bit, completely caught off guard. He narrowed his eyes as amusement started mixing with his irritation. He didn’t expect the soon-to-be consort to be like this.

 

“You know what? I won’t complain about marrying you anymore. Let’s make our folks proud and keep our citizens entertained.”

 

Donghyuk raised an eyebrow at him. Junhwe could see that the other was unimpressed but still curious. He smirked.

 

“In return, I won’t let you go even if you ask for a divorce. You’ll suffer here, bearing every single thing Jinhwan-hyung wanted to avoid. He’s right, I shouldn’t tie him down when he could live freely.”

 

“That’s fine by me, since His Highness will live his life together with someone he doesn’t love. That’s enough payback.”

 

Junhwe glared deeper at that while Kim Donghyuk matched it with a firm stare.

 

“We’re going to be miserable together, Your Highness.” said his betrothed, an emotionless smile on his lips.

 

 

---

 

 

Truth be told, Donghyuk was terrified.

 

The Crown Prince was right. What did he know about the inner workings of life in the royal palace? And even though he’s quite aware, he wouldn’t know how grave of an effect a seemingly insignificant action by a royal family member would have. Everything he’ll do would always be under the scrutiny of the very same people they serve.

 

On top of that, he’s marrying someone he barely knew. Now he’s feeling quite foolish for trying to appear unbothered with the Crown Prince.

 

At the eve of his wedding, after a difficult training period that he surprisingly aced, Donghyuk considered escaping. He even had his things packed up with all the savings he earned, enough to fly to a country that wasn’t part of the Korean alliance. Yet when he walked out of his room and saw his mom sleeping on the sofa, holding a framed picture of him in her arms, he gave up.

 

He returned to his room and resigned his fate, repeating in his head again and again: this was for his family. For his mom and sister. He’ll throw away any kind of selfishness for them.

 

And so, he went to meet Crown Prince Junhwe without hesitation, dignified in his choice no matter what the future would bring. Numerous cameras flashed around, as media people reported in different languages for the other countries that were tuned in. He’s being called a modern day Cinderella, a symbol of hope, etcetera. So many exaggerations and assumptions being said about him, and they’re all making him tired.

 

“Please keep your head held high.” Hanbin, his lord-in-waiting, whispered to him from behind. “You will do well.”

 

He took a deep breath and began the traditional bridal walk into the entrance of the palace. More camera flashes and reporting commenced. Hanbin instructed him during training to just look ahead, ignore everyone watching and just focus on what’s waiting for him. He saw dozens of aides bowing down, bodyguards and security also on standby.

 

And of course, at the very front was Junhwe.

 

As he walked nearer and nearer to him, the expression on his soon-to-be husband’s face became clearer. He wasn’t smiling alright, but his gaze had never left Donghyuk since he first set his eyes on him.

 

An act for the cameras or not, Donghyuk felt a small sense of comfort.

 

 

---

 

 

School had never been so noisy with a lot more students waiting by the entrance, as if it’s a red carpet walk for celebrities. A bunch of media photographers were also hanging around the gates trying to get a picture of the new royal couple’s first day of school as newlyweds.

 

Junhwe stood elegantly after getting out of his chauffeured car, waiting for the Imperial Consort to get out of his own. He couldn’t care less but there’s a bunch of cameras so might as well put on a show. Donghyuk didn’t need to be told to cooperate. He already had a prepared smile, bowing and demurely waving to squealing students as he made his way to Junhwe’s side. The frenzied camera flashes were irritating but neither the prince nor his consort broke out of character. A hand on the small of Donghyuk’s back, Junhwe led his husband inside the campus building, following their guards to a more secure place. The crowd went wild.

 

When they were out of anyone's sights though, Junhwe dropped his hand and Donghyuk automatically stepped away. They just gave each other a nod before going their separate ways, not saying a word. It was fortunate that the visual arts faculty that he belonged to was at the opposite side of where Donghyuk’s music department was. Junhwe wouldn’t want to accidentally encounter his Imperial Consort just because they had classes in the same building. And of course, not his first love either.

 

Yet said first love ambushed him during lunch break, pulling him to one of their hidden spots as if he’s a man on a mission. A part of Junhwe wanted to be smug; let Jinhwan see that he’s doing fine without him. The other side of him however just wanted to hold his hand never let go. Jinhwan didn’t care either way. He spoke as soon as the door closed.

 

“How are you?”

 

“Fine.”

 

“And Donghyuk?”

 

There’s a slight change in the other’s tone, making his voice softer. Junhwe clenched his fists. “He’s fine. And he’s the Imperial Consort to you now. You better refer to him using his title from now on.”

 

“Acting possessive of your spouse now, huh?” Jinhwan laughed and tilted his head at him. “Are you getting jealous?”

 

Yes, he was. He’s jealous of Donghyuk. Of how Jinhwan seemed to care more about his school dongsaeng than him. He didn’t say those words, of course. Jinhwan didn't push either. Instead, he sighed deeply.

 

“Look Junhwe, I know I don’t have the right to ask this, but please take care of him. Donghyuk is a really good kid. Too kind for his own good sometimes.”

 

Junhwe clenched his fists more. The hyung didn’t seem to notice.

 

“And… whatever grudges you might have for me, please don’t take them out on him. He’s innocent.”

 

No, he’s not.

 

But he told Jinhwan that he could leave Donghyuk to him. The Imperial Consort was his responsibility now and one thing a Crown Prince shouldn’t do was to not do his duties. Jinhwan stared at him, as if assessing his words.

 

“I’ll believe you. I’ll still be watching though.”

 

“No problem.”

 

Jinhwan smirked and patted his arm. The touch sent an unwanted singe down his senses and now that the illusion he’s been nursing was gone, Junhwe could now see that Jinhwan didn’t feel that same singe. It had only been just Junhwe all along.

 

“Live a good life, Crown Prince.” His hyung said as he left. It’s like an official goodbye, and Junhwe hated it.

 

He’d thought he’ll get over it as the hours pass by but when he saw Donghyuk’s face after his classes, he felt betrayed all over again.

 

“So, how was your day?” Donghyuk asked him after Hanbin narrated all their schedules for the late afternoon. He just looked at his car window.

 

“It’s none of your business.”

 

From the front seat, Hanbin threw a disapproving stare at Junhwe. Donghyuk didn’t push him to answer though, which he thought would happen.

 

The unexpected non-reaction made Junhwe feel slightly guilty. When the tense atmosphere inside the car died down, he took a peek at the Imperial Consort beside him. Donghyuk doesn’t seem bothered. He’s looking down on his phone, texting with a small smile on his face.

 

“Who are you texting?”

 

“What?” Donghyuk looked up to him with surprise.

 

“Who are you texting?”

 

“Oh. It’s Jinhwan-hyung...”

 

Donghyuk mentioned another name, Yun-something, but Junhwe felt irritation build inside him already. He’s talking about a departmental project, a song competition and apparently, he and Jinhwan and the Yun-person were groupmates.

 

“They’re asking me when I’ll be available to meet about the song. I wrote a few drafts and Jinhwan-hyung wants to record two.”

 

Hanbin was already scanning their forthcoming schedules in his palace-issued tablet. Junhwe frowned at that and opened his mouth before he could think more.

 

“Our schedules are packed. Just talk over the Internet and let your groupmates handle most of the work.”

 

The expression on Donghyuk’s face showed he didn’t expect his answer to be like that.

 

“But I…--”

 

“The Imperial Consort’s duties to the people are more important than a university competition. What do you think the people will remember more, your song entry or your presence in a public charity event?”

 

This time, Hanbin didn’t make a move to glare at him. He could see Donghyuk glance at his lord-in-waiting, as if asking for an opinion before he gave up, sighing and slumping his shoulders.

 

“I understand Your Highness. I’ll tell them what you said.”

 

Junhwe raised an eyebrow at that. He watched as Donghyuk tapped away on his phone, texting again, before closing it and putting it in his pocket.

 

Junhwe gritted his teeth and looked away. The guilt surged up again but he didn’t want to take back his words either. This was just the start. If the Imperial Consort thought he could just return to living a normal life, he’s gravely mistaken.

 

Jinhwan might be annoyed though. He’s taking his precious Donghyuk’s time away.

 

 

---

 

 

He thought he could breathe easier in a charity event, but Donghyuk just felt more exhausted. There were way too many people pretending to care in an event meant to celebrate that, and too many media who ignored the signs so they could capture scenes of the elite and nobility showing care for the less fortunate.

 

The only saving grace, surprisingly, was the Crown Prince himself.

 

Junhwe might be a jerk and a sourpuss but Donghyuk could see his sincerity and genuine concern for the true purpose of the event. He had gracefully exited conversations about vacations and empty compliments, and engaged ones about more fund-raisers and updates about the results of the previous ones. They didn’t stay there very long but Donghyuk was convinced this new husband of his had the right heart to rule one day - or at least he was already on the path for it. It’s a bit hard to admit, but Donghyuk thought Junhwe was cool.

 

And apparently, Junhwe thought so of him as well. At least, in a sense.

 

“You did good earlier.”

 

That was the only thing Junhwe told him when they arrived back at their royal quarters. Donghyuk blinked at that, too surprised to reply as Junhwe left for his separate room. Hanbin cleared his throat and clarified what the prince meant.

 

“He’s actually really impressed you held your own with the English speaking guests. English is not a strong point of His Highness, you see.”

 

“Oh.” Donghyuk snickered a bit. That’s… rather amusing to hear.

 

“By the way, Your Highness. If you want, I can arrange for you and your group to meet in the afternoon, this weekend. I saw a free slot during that time.”

 

“Ah, really?” He grinned widely, thinking for a moment. “But wouldn’t Junhwe be angry?”

 

“He would, but he’s not the one I’m primarily serving, right?” Hanbin answered with a shrug and a wink. Donghyuk chuckled at that.

 

“And as long as I don’t have any complaints, you’ll be safe.”

 

“That’s right, Your Highness. You are so quick to learn.”

 

Donghyuk chuckled again. Then suddenly, there’s a loud voice outside. Rather, there’s two voices. One was announcing he’s back, and the other asking the “hyung” to lower down his voice in a playfully scolding tone.

 

Hanbin blushed a bit and Donghyuk caught it. But before he could ask, Junhwe emerged out of his room with a deep sigh. He didn’t look amused as he approached Donghyuk.

 

“Come. It’s time you meet the other members of the royal family.”

 

The Royal Princes Jiwon and Chanwoo were whom his husband meant. Donghyuk only heard about them in small snippets in the news and in long columns in the celebrity magazines Yunhyeong collected. Jiwon was Junhwe and Chanwoo’s elder cousin who’s studying Humanities in the U.S., and Chanwoo was the Crown Prince’s younger brother who had been studying abroad in Singapore for middle school.

 

“Woah, you’re cute in the photos but you’re actually cuter in person!” Jiwon cheerfully said as he extended a hand to him. Donghyuk gulped down nervously as he accepted the hand, bowing down after.

 

“Thank you. It’s an honor to meet Your Highness.”

 

“Ah, stop that. We’re cousins-in-law now, no need to be formal!”

 

“And I’m Chanwoo, your younger brother-in-law. I’m very pleased to meet the Imperial Consort.” The younger prince said as he grinned and extended both arms to him for a hug. Then he stopped and glanced at Junhwe.

 

“You won’t execute me for asking for a hug from your consort right, hyung?”

 

Junhwe rolled his eyes. “You can snuggle him all you want. I don’t care.”

 

“What a lenient husband.”

 

So Chanwoo embraced Donghyuk, patting his back and whispering that he’s free to talk if ever he needed to complain about Junhwe. Donghyuk already liked him. Those might just be words of courtesy of course, but Donghyuk appreciated it nonetheless. Even for just a short moment, he felt like he’s at home.

 

And such a feeling increased when all four of them had dinner together. Donghyuk found out that Jiwon and Chanwoo were unpretentious. Especially Jiwon. He’s loud and he’d laugh with the rest of his body, hadn’t even hesitated to pinch Chanwoo’s cheeks and elbow Junhwe as a joke. The youngest prince didn’t hide his mischievousness as well. He’d snark back and high-five Jiwon whenever Junhwe was left without any retorts. Most of all, they didn’t possess that stifling royal aura they should have. They felt like ordinary friends and Donghyuk’s happy they welcomed him into their circle so willingly.

 

He pondered a bit on that. Chanwoo told him to talk to him if he wanted to complain, so did that mean the Crown Prince really had such a disagreeable personality? Donghyuk would have agreed right away if he didn’t know better.

 

But he started to know better now. He remembered the charity event, of how he was easily permitted to mingle so closely with Jiwon and Chanwoo, of the way Junhwe looked at him during his bridal walk - gaze steadfast and firm as if telling him he wasn’t alone no matter how ugly their situation was. Of how he felt safe, despite of.

 

At the very least, Donghyuk would take back some of his judgments.

 

When dinner’s done and their guests left, Donghyuk decided to finally talk to his husband. Never mind their silent agreement to not bother on such things.

 

“Hi.” he greeted as he sat in a distance beside Junhwe, who was at the entrance to the fountain garden. Junhwe grunted in response and didn't look at him.

 

“Someone told me you had poor grades for English.”

 

He watched as Junhwe visibly stiffened. He resisted a snort.

 

“What’s it to you?”

 

“Just wondering. If you want, I can help you with essays.”

 

“No thanks. I can get by with Japanese and Chinese.”

 

“Really? I read somewhere that English is the most important foreign language the royal family needs to learn.”

 

“...”

 

This time, Donghyuk really snorted. Junhwe turned to face him, face slightly red and mouth showing a scowl.

 

“J-Just because Jiwon-hyung and Chanwoo can tease me like that, it doesn’t mean you can too! Don’t laugh!”

 

“I wasn’t even teasing you, Your Highness. Calm down.” Donghyuk snickered and moved closer. A bit. Junhwe didn’t seem to mind. “I’m serious though. I can help you if you need it.”

 

“...I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

That’s fine. Donghyuk grinned and stood. “Well then, time to do our assignments--”

 

“You know,” Junhwe cut in, stopping Donghyuk in his tracks.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“If you want to visit your mom and sis, you can do so. Whenever you want.” Junhwe gave him a serious face. “No one will take offense to it.”

 

Ah. Okay… Donghyuk didn’t expect that. Was he so obvious with his loneliness?

 

“Thank you.” he shifted weight, using that moment to collect himself from the sudden warmth that flowed in his veins. “Then can I go there now? I’ll sleep over.”

 

Junhwe blinked then frowned. “Huh?... Sure. Don’t be late for your classes tomorrow.”

 

Donghyuk laughed. “Relax, I was joking.”

 

“You better stay away from Chanwoo and Jiwon-hyung if you’re gonna be like that.” Junhwe retorted before waving him off.

 

“Good night, Crown Prince.”

 

“Good night, Crown Princess.”

 

“Please don’t call me that.”

 

Junhwe smirked, looking satisfied. Donghyuk stuck his tongue out and finally left before the growing heat on his cheeks became more visible.

 

Well, that wasn’t so bad. Maybe from then on, they could scratch out having a suffering mentality in this marriage of theirs. Because honestly, Donghyuk didn’t want to live long years feeling bitter and empty in an already suffocating place. It’s pitiful to have Junhwe live like that too.

 

His phone vibrated from his pocket so he took it out. It’s a message from Jinhwan, asking him if he really didn’t have free time. Hanbin already told him he could meet his sunbae and Yunhyeong on the weekend, so he ought to text him that.

 

Donghyuk didn’t understand yet but instead of that, he told the hyung he’ll make sure of his schedules first. Maybe… maybe he and Junhwe will suddenly have commitments for the weekend.

 

 

---

 

 

A month passed and the dynamic between him and Donghyuk had been changing steadily. He had to admit, having Jiwon and Chanwoo’s presence back in the royal palace helped ease the awkward atmosphere between him and his consort. Donghyuk became more comfortable too.

 

That should be a sign of defeat. Shouldn’t he be planning to make the consort’s life miserable? But here he was being relieved that Donghyuk wasn’t wearing such an empty look in his eyes any longer. He wasn’t sure what to think of it yet, so he’ll just take it as a slight change of heart. After all, Donghyuk had not only been tutoring him with English, he had been more proactive in learning about palace affairs too. Yeah, Junhwe’s just grateful.

 

The King and the Queen seemed pleased with the two of them so far. Queen Sandara had for having a “more approachable” aura - an observation Junhwe didn’t have the heart to argue. His Majesty King Jiyong’s health had improved as well, though he continued to remind him to take care of the Imperial Consort. That offended Junhwe a bit. Why was it always him who got such reminders? Shouldn’t Donghyuk be reminded to take care of the Crown Prince too?

 

“I’m really glad Donghyuk is the Imperial Consort.” Chanwoo told him one night while they bond over a game of Chess. Jiwon watched, confusing them with exaggerated reactions on each move done.

 

“Why are you glad he’s my consort?” Junhwe asked as he moved a pawn. Chanwoo nodded.

 

“You became more approachable nowadays, thanks to him.”

 

Junhwe raised an eyebrow at that. Like mother like son. “I already heard that.”

 

“From the Queen right?” Chanwoo laughed. “But more than that, it’s because you’re smiling more. You seem… happy.”

 

Junhwe shrugged. He hoped the warmth he’s feeling on his neck was just his imagination. “That’s because my English average improved so much. One benefit of having a nerdy consort, I guess.”

 

“You are so difficult, June-ya.” Jiwon commented with a muffled laugh. “But I guess it won’t be easy realizing things when you ended up in this situation through a wicked twist.”

 

Chanwoo winked at Jiwon. “My esteemed brother can be very slow sometimes.”

 

The youngest prince then took his queen and pulled a move Junhwe didn’t see. Suddenly, there’s a checkmate.

 

“What the f--”

 

“No cursing.”

 

“Shut up. You curse more than me.”

 

Chanwoo grinned and arranged the pieces again. “But I agree with Jiwon-hyung. You better be more aware of everything around you. You may have something precious with you now but if you look away for a bit, it might be snatched away from you.”

 

Jiwon nodded at him, impressed. Junhwe wasn’t. “And where are you pulling those words from?”

 

“From experience, hyung. Life offers so many things.”

 

“You’re just in middle school.”

 

“Hey, don’t underestimate kids in this era.” their cousin interjected as he opened a bag of chips. “We hope you got what we’re trying to say though.”

 

“I can only assume since you two are being quite vague.”

 

The other princes chuckle while exchanging knowing smiles. Junhwe rolled his eyes at them. He did get what his younger brother and cousin were trying to say but he wasn’t willing to acknowledge it. Not when he’s still confused.

 

However, it didn’t mean he wouldn’t do anything. A week after that talk, he took Donghyuk to the extra room in their estate. A grand piano was there, pearly white and seemed to be shimmering under the crystal chandelier above them. Aside from that, there’s a new acoustic guitar, a digital piano keyboard, and all the devices someone who’s studying music should need.

 

“What is…?” His consort looked absolutely shocked. Junhwe resisted a wide grin from spreading on his face.

 

“For you. My thanks for helping me with English.”

 

“But it’s just English.” Donghyuk sounded even more breathless.

 

“Does this mean you don’t like it?”

 

“No, of course not! You’re literally giving me my own studio.”

 

“That’s the intention.”

 

Donghyuk turned to face him, eyes still wide with shock but definitely twinkling in happiness. Junhwe stiffened when the Imperial Consort suddenly hugged him, his face buried on his chest as he squeezed a bit, whispering a soft but sincere, “Thank you”.

 

Junhwe bit his lip. He contemplated embracing his spouse back, to whisper “You’re welcome”, when the moment ended with Donghyuk pulling away. The consort gave him a wide smile and went to the grand piano.

 

“God, this is even better than the one in school! We should do our songs here from now on.” Donghyuk said giddily.

 

“This means the consort’s meetings with Yunhyeong-ssi and Jinhwan-ssi will be moved here.” Hanbin commented as he stepped beside Junhwe, already pulling out his tablet. Junhwe glanced at his consort’s aide who glanced back. They share a knowing look.

 

“I hope this won’t backfire on you, Your Highness. Just so you know, I’m on the Imperial Consort’s side.”

 

Junwhe remained silent and just watched Donghyuk try the piano.

 

That’s right. Not only was the whole room a gift of gratitude, it’s also a way for him to keep Donghyuk inside the palace as much as possible. With him.

 

The problem was, he didn’t know whether it’s because of Donghyuk himself, or because it’s a way to see Jinhwan more.

 

 

---

 

 

Junhwe wouldn’t know how grateful Donghyuk was for the music-slash-studio room. Never in his life did he expect to receive something as grand for a gift, and only in his dreams did he see himself working and playing on such high-class instruments and equipment. He was also grateful Junhwe decided to be lenient in letting his group visit the Royal Estate for their weekly practice and recording sessions. The protocols for the Imperial Consort’s acquaintances and activities were less strict compared to the olden times, but Donghyuk wasn’t really expecting Junhwe to let him.

 

He had a feeling Jinhwan had something to do with it though. As the meetings took place, Junhwe was almost always there for the after snacks, sometimes with Jiwon or Chanwoo, and sometimes just by himself. Jinhwan didn’t show any indication to want the attention of the Crown Prince, but Donghyuk couldn’t help but still watch the two from the corner of his eyes.

 

And it confused him. Why was he even concerned about them? After all, he always knew Junhwe had feelings for their sunbae. And said sunbae had referred to the prince as “special” as well.

 

“Hey, our dear Imperial Consort.” Yunhyeong whispered to him as both of them work on the music composition software in his laptop. Jinhwan was on his other side, busy trying out some vocal melodies for another draft he wrote.

 

“What?”

 

“I know this isn’t really our business but I’m just really curious and it’s been months. So…”

 

“Just say it.”

 

“Did you and His Highness already did… you know.”

 

“Did what?”

 

“... you know.” Yunhyeong gestured vaguely with his hands. “That.”

 

Donghyuk paused on his work to think, facing his best friend with a confused stare. Then it hit him so he flustered deeply. Yunhyeong snorted while Jinhwan curiously looked at them.

 

“We haven’t.”

 

“What are you two talking about?”

 

Donghyuk could only sigh and shake his head as Yunhyeong told Jinhwan as if it was a joke. Jinhwan winced at him and started scolding, “Ya, Song Yunhyeong! That’s not really our business! Don’t you know you can be accused of disrespect to the Imperial Consort for that question?”

 

Yunhyeong immediately paled. “Seriously?”

 

“4 years in jail plus 300 hours of community service.” Donghyuk added. His best friend continued to look frightened until Donghyuk couldn't take it, so he laughed. “I’m just joking.”

 

“That’s not funny!”

 

“You asking questions like that isn’t funny too.”

 

Yunhyeong shut himself up after that. Donghyuk exchanged a grin with Jinhwan, who suddenly asked a follow-up question.

 

“So, were the two of you exempted from it because you’re under an arranged marriage?”

 

Donghyuk blushed again.

 

Truthfully, it wasn’t like that. It’s just that for their first night, he and Junhwe chose to not do anything. Hanbin was also clear in reminding him that the royal family understood their situation and wouldn’t order them to do their “duty” right away, but there wouldn’t be any opposition if they did decide to consummate. Honestly, Donghyuk had thought Junhwe would push him to it just to get it over with, but Junhwe had surprisingly been considerate that night.

 

“We just decided to leave it for the future. When the timing’s right.” Donghyuk answered. It felt like a manufactured one, but it’s the most appropriate. Yunhyeong responded to his answer with a nod and didn't bother him for more.

 

He stared at Jinhwan and Jinhwan stared back, as if seeking something else from his words.

 

“Is he treating you well?” the other followed-up. “Leaving aside providing for you, is he speaking with you respectfully? He’s not outright rejecting you or something?”

 

Donghyuk blinked in surprise, not really expecting to be asked about his husband’s treatment of him. “No, he’s been treating me really well. I admit we weren’t getting along at the start and we bicker here and there, but it’s… fun.”

 

He felt his cheeks warm up again. Jinhwan regarded his words for a moment before nodding and holding his hand that’s on standby on the mouse.

 

“If ever you need something though, anything that you can’t ask Junhwe, I’m here.”

 

“And I’m here too.” Yunhyeong added with a smile. “Don’t forget me in your bromance.”

 

Donghyuk snorted at that but thanked both his friends.

 

And then Hanbin entered the room with a small tray cart full of snacks and tea. Following him in is Jiwon and of course…

 

“Hey. How was your day?” he asked with a smile as he waited for Junhwe to come closer.

 

But the prince didn’t and just stayed standing by the door, shrugging his shoulders and saying a rather quick, “Don’t stay up too late.”, before exiting the room.

 

“He’s just tired from all the meetings. Forgive him.” Jiwon said with a sympathetic smile.

 

Donghyuk stared at Junhwe’s trail in concern, before shaking his head and accepting Hanbin’s offer of chocolate cake.

 

 

---

 

 

He ordered for the snacks to be prepared, even letting Jiwon tag along. Yet when he saw Jinhwan and Donghyuk holding hands and talking so closely through the door window, he froze up.

 

Both Hanbin and Jiwon picked up right away, not saying anything for a few moments before Hanbin took control and entered the room first even though protocols dictate Junhwe should be the one to lead. Then as if he’s a sore loser, he left right away.

 

It frustrated him that he felt exactly that: a sore loser. As if he was cheated on in a chess game. Or something precious to him had been taken away in front of his eyes.

 

“...if you look away for a bit, it might be snatched away from you.”

 

“I hope this won’t backfire on you, Your Highness.”

 

They’re right. Chanwoo, Jiwon and Hanbin were right.

 

“No. You only think you love me but you actually don’t.”

 

And now, it’s starting to be clear for him.

 

“Are you alright, Junhwe?”

 

He gasped a bit and looked to his right to see Donghyuk there, already moving to sit beside him. Instantly, he felt conscious of the close distance his consort left between them. Looking at the fountain and the beautifully arranged garden wasn’t enough to distract him.

 

“I’m fine.” he cleared his throat. “Why are you asking?”

 

“You didn’t stay for afternoon snacks earlier.”

 

“I was tired.”

 

“You skipped dinner too.”

 

“... I wasn’t hungry.”

 

He felt Donghyuk’s gaze on him so he slowly looked back. The Imperial Consort wasn’t smiling and instead looked… worried. For him. Junhwe unconsciously gulped.

 

“Are you still tired?”

 

Junhwe lost the will to argue. “Not anymore.”

 

“Then come with me. I want to show you something.” Donghyuk held his arm and tugged him up, grinning. “It’s something very important to me.”

 

His consort led him back to the music room, making him sit on the piano chair as he went to his desk and opened his laptop. Junhwe just watched him, mildly curious.

 

“We finally finished it. I want the Crown Prince to hear it first.” said Donghyuk as he went back to sit beside him. Smiling excitedly, he readied his hands on the piano keys. “I’ll do the piano accompaniment. Please listen carefully, Your Highness.”

 

The music started playing from the speakers behind them. Junhwe heard guitar, electronic drums and some other instruments for the intro, before Donghyuk finally pressed on the first key. Knowing how important the musical piece was, Junhwe trained his eyes forward to focus on listening. It was only when Donghyuk started singing that Junhwe was pulled out, his head turning swiftly to look beside him.

 

The consort had his eyes closed as he sang the song verses, only opening them to look at the keys. He maintained a smile and his eyes were practically sparkling under the chandelier lights. Anyone could see he’s very happy; that he’s proud of what he’s doing.

 

Junhwe was utterly mesmerized.

 

“Jinhwan-hyung’s supposed to sing of course, but I want to try singing just once.” Donghyuk said after the song ended. He had a sheepish expression as he turned to face him back.

 

“So, what do you think, Your Highness? Any comments on the lyrics? The melody? Do you think we’ll place?”

 

That completely woke Junhwe up from his trance. He cleared his throat, internally commanding himself to say something. How could he even critique fairly when all of his attention was on his husband.

 

His heart stuttered at the way he internally addressed Donghyuk, suddenly realizing the weight of it. That’s right, Donghyuk was his consort, his husband.

 

His.

 

“Junhwe?”

 

“It’s good. Really good. It completely me in.” Junhwe finally remembered how to breathe. “If you guys don’t place 2nd at least, I’ll file a complaint.”

 

“Don’t do that, geez.” Donghyuk laughed. “But I’m happy you think the song’s really good. Even if we don’t place, it’ll be fine with me now.”

 

That caused Junhwe’s heart to skip a beat once again. “Why? Is my opinion that important to you?”

 

“Of course.” There’s no hesitation in Donghyuk’s voice. “You’re my husband. Of course your opinion will matter to me.”

 

That shouldn’t be the case. Yet now Junhwe’s already arguing that out in his head.

 

“And besides, Jinhwan-hyung will be happy too, once I tell him you think the song’s good.”

 

He froze at that. What did Donghyuk just say?

 

“You’d like that, right Junhwe?”

 

His mind completely went haywire. Why would he like that? What was Donghyuk implying? Questions and assumptions overlapped on each other and he’s dying to say something, but the words just refused to form on his head. It’s like the answer was already at the tip of his tongue but he couldn't pull it out.

 

And he could only berate himself when Donghyuk chose not to insist on an answer. Seeing the strained smile on Donghyuk’s face, Junhwe had a bad feeling he just lost a significant chance.

 

 

---

 

 

They won. The song he wrote and edited with Yunhyeong, the song that Jinhwan sang his heart out, won first place. A reputable entertainment agency even wanted to check out their other works and we were willing to buy the song.

 

Yunhyeong and Jinhwan both jumped and cheered giddily on stage as they received the award. Donghyuk wanted to do so as well, but there were media photographers around and Hanbin was watching him at the side of the stage.

 

Junhwe was unfortunately not there; a meeting with an agriculture organization in Thailand, Hanbin told him. But in his place were Jiwon and Chanwoo who were observing from the covered upper deck of the auditorium. They cheered and Chanwoo hugged him as soon as their group entered the upper deck.

 

Donghyuk’s still disappointed, but he didn’t dwell on it.

 

“I listened to the song hyung! It’s so good!” Chanwoo said excitedly. “Your group mates are awesome too, of course. Congratulations.”

 

Yunhyeong looked flustered as he bowed to the prince in gratefulness. Jinhwan bowed too but he’s calmer. Jiwon grinned and went closer to their group, wrapping an arm around Hanbin’s shoulder so casually. Hanbin flushed a bit despite being composed.

 

“The King and Queen are very happy for you too. They asked me to tell you to meet them later, before dinner. You can expect a reward~”

 

“What? There’s no need…”

 

Chanwoo chuckled at him and fished out his phone from his jeans, tapping away on the screen. “Just accept it hyung. Rejecting it could be considered disrespectful too. It’s just gonna be a small increase in your allowance anyway.”

 

“Or a new car. Maybe even a short trip to Hawaii or Maldives.” Jiwon added jokingly before telling his friends they might be given something too.

 

As they all talked, Donghyuk’s phone vibrated so he took it out from the pocket of his coat. He felt his heart race when Junhwe’s caller I.D. flashed on the screen. Quickly excusing himself, he went to a more private corner of the upper deck and answered it.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hey. Chanwoo just told me. Congratulations.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Then silence.

 

Donghyuk bit his lip. They had been having weird awkward pauses between them recently. He heard some shuffling noise from the other line before Junhwe spoke again.

 

“You did very well. If there’s anything you want, like a new phone, or a laptop, a car… anything. You can tell me. I’ll give it to you.”

 

Donghyuk didn’t need anything of that sort though. But he knew Junhwe’s good intentions, so he just smiled and thanked him for offering to give him a gift.

 

“It’s normal for a husband to give his spouse a gift. My parents will definitely reward you too so I have to do something.”

 

He snorted at that, playfully telling the other that it’s all a matter of pride for him after all. Junhwe retorted that it’s not, stammering through his words, and Donghyuk just laughed.

 

“Are you hanging out with those two again? I told you to avoid them as much as possible!”

 

“I won’t isolate family, Your Highness. But since this seems important to you, I’ll just ask for one thing then.”

 

“Alright. What does the Imperial Consort want?”

 

“I want His Highness to do an excellent job on his business trip, eat and rest well, then come back here safely.”

 

The Crown Prince wasn’t able to answer right away. Donghyuk continued to smile, not minding it.

 

“That’s not even… is that really all you want?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Okay then. You better not regret asking just that.”

 

Donghyuk scoffed. “As if.”

 

“See you soon, Princess.”

 

“Ugh, stop that. Bye Prince.”

 

He heard a snicker from the other line before the call ended. Rolling his eyes and willing the blush on his cheeks to die down, he returned to his friends. It’s amusing how he felt getting 1st place was much sweeter now, after he’d spoken with Junhwe.

 

“Is that your dear husband on the call?” Jiwon teased. The rest either whistled or as well.

 

Except Jinhwan. He seemed distracted, sitting on one of the seats and looking down at the floor, before Yunhyeong elbowed him while laughing. His sunbae pretended to laugh too then looked up, matching Donghyuk’s stare.

 

Donghyuk felt uncomfortable. That incident at the library had already long passed, and his hyung never gave any indication that he regretted rejecting Junhwe’s proposal. Actually, Jinhwan wasn’t even the problem. It’s Donghyuk himself. Till now, he’s going between acceptance and denial.

 

When Yunhyeong went to joke around with Chanwoo and Jiwon, Donghyuk took his chance and approached Jinhwan. He nudged his sunbae’s shoulder.

 

“Hyung. Junhwe said congratulations.”

 

“Oh, that’s nice.” Jinhwan nodded and tilted his head at him, a curious smile on his face. “Why are you specifically telling me though?”

 

“Well, I thought you’d want to know. He’s special to you right?” he paused. “And I’m sure Junhwe will want me to tell you too.”

 

Jinhwan didn’t answer right away. Moving a bit closer to him, he whispered under his breath, “Are you still bothered about his proposal to me?”

 

Yes, Donghyuk wanted to say.

 

“No.”

 

The hyung sighed and pinched his cheek, a playful frown on his face. “Ah, what should I do? This is kinda getting annoying. Why did I end up in this web?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“You know…” his hyung let go of his cheek and leaned closer, as if to whisper a secret. “Junhwe’s indeed special to me but this whole thing made me realize something else.”

 

A small chill ran down Donghyuk’s spine. Instincts told him to cover his ears, or go away immediately, but he just sat still.

 

“What is it, hyung?”

 

“... There’s someone else more special to me, and I was too late.”

 

Donghyuk gulped, his heart pounding louder in his chest.

 

“Oh…”

 

Jinhwan pulled away and gave him a softer smile. “So whatever idea you might have about me and him, it’s better to get that out of your head. Just focus on your happiness okay?”

 

Donghyuk wanted to say something, to not just leave the conversation at that. But he had a feeling it’ll be inappropriate or he’s going to hurt his hyung if he answered, which he didn’t want to assume no matter the implications. Jinhwan didn’t seem to mind since he just patted his shoulder and stood from his seat, ending their conversation.

 

He only joined his friends again when Hanbin started looking at him intently, not wanting anything amiss to get reported to Junhwe. Swallowing the dark feeling he had, he repeated Jinhwan’s advice to him: focus on other things, like his happiness. Even if that hadn’t been set in stone yet.

 

The King and Queen had sent a message inviting Yunhyeong and Jinhwan to dinner so all of them went back to the palace. Yunhyeong was nervous as hell at first, only calming down when the dishes were served. Jinhwan was very cordial and sophisticated with his manners. It made Donghyuk think he’d suit the palace life, if he had accepted Junhwe’s proposal.

 

Donghyuk wanted to scold himself. There he went thinking of such things again, just when he decided not to.

 

Chanwoo’s right about his reward. It’s a small increase in his allowance and a much longer stay duration with his mom if he wanted to. Of course he’d want that, so he told them his intentions of staying over his home the next day, after he figured out something.

 

“Something” being a Thank You gift for the Crown Prince. The music room given to him was instrumental to the win after all, so it’s only proper that Donghyuk would give something back. He’d asked Jiwon and Chanwoo but they refused to help, saying it’s better that he thought for himself so the sentiments put into the gift can be felt more. They might just be saying excuses to opt out, but their words didn't make sense.

 

Thankfully, Junhwe’s absence allowed him to roam his rooms freely and decide what gift to give from his observations. Aside from his bedroom, Junhwe also had a study room and another room where, according to Hanbin, the prince did his Visual Arts projects. The Crown Prince of Korea was a photography major so it’s more likely a darkroom. Junhwe had instructed him before not to look without permission.

 

Well, he’s not here and Donghyuk’s planning a surprise gift, so.

 

Hanbin was dragged by Jiwon elsewhere so he took advantage of it to go to the room. It’s unlocked, thankfully. It’s a pretty simple room with a desk and dozens of large photo prints of people and other subjects stacked on two corners of the room. There’s also sketches on the desk and about 5 cameras, both manual and DSLRs, displayed with different types of lenses. Donghyuk had to admit, Junhwe could take really good pictures and his passion for it was evident in them. Getting something photography-related as a gift would be the best option.

 

Then there’s another door beside the desk. He suspected it’s the darkroom. Giving in to curiosity, he opened it. He squinted his eyes because of the red lights, blinking a few times before getting adjusted to it. It’s a very small space, slightly messy too with all the processing liquids and equipment. Some photos were hung to dry so he avoided those in fear of ruining them. Boxes were stacked at one corner, all-labeled, except for one at the very bottom. It’s intriguing for it not to be labeled so he crouched down to get that. If it’s something , he’s going to use them as teasing material.

 

It’s not. But he ended up wishing it’s pictures instead.

 

More than two dozens of photos were in there, in different sizes. Some were colored and some were in monochrome, but all of them were showing only one subject: Jinhwan.

 

Jinhwan laughing, Jinhwan looking up at the sunset from a rooftop, Jinhwan looking like he was beckoning the photographer to come closer, a soft smile on his face.

 

The dark feeling returned to him in an instant. He closed the box immediately and returned it to its place. Suddenly, it’s very suffocating to be in there so he exited the room right away and called Hanbin. He needed to go back home now. Anywhere, away from that room.

 

 

---

 

 

Junhwe was getting antsy. It had been a whole week since he left and only two more days before he’d go back home. He could have managed himself much better if only Hanbin hadn’t been so frugal with his answers. For instance:

 

“How’s the Imperial Consort?”

 

“Fine, Your Highness.”

 

“What did he do yesterday?”

 

“The usual stuff, Your Highness.”

 

“I want details.”

 

“How about asking the consort yourself, Your Highness?”

 

“I can’t. I’m too busy.”

 

“That’s too bad, Your Highness.”

 

Okay, that thing about being busy was half-true and half-false. But still, the aide could have provided him more information about his husband. Like, was Donghyuk eating well? Did he and his friends celebrate? What did the King and Queen say to him? Stuff like that. It’s making him anxious how he had no idea what was happening.

 

He couldn’t stay still too, for being told not to buy Donghyuk a gift. Just going back without anything to offer Donghyuk didn’t sit well with him. He’d been having strong urges to buy designer clothes, limited edition stuff from Thailand, anything that could put a smile on Donghyuk’s face. He felt that way only with Jinhwan but now it’s happening much worse with Donghyuk.

 

And surprisingly, he wasn’t bothered with that as much as he thought.

 

“What would be good to give as a gift?” he asked out loud as Chanhyuk, one of his palace aides, showed him a black coat. He shook his head at it.

 

“Is the gift perhaps for the Imperial Consort?”

 

“No.” , he stuttered a bit there. He could see Chanhyuk smirking slightly. “It’s for someone else. A friend.”

 

Chanhyuk showed him a grey one. “Would His Highness please describe this friend? Or explain the person’s hobbies or interests so we could think of something appropriate.”

 

Junhwe thought for a moment. “He’s shorter than me, almost a head shorter, and… he likes music very much. Perhaps something that wouldn’t hinder him from playing the piano, or from making songs.”

 

“His Highness’ friend sounds very similar to someone we know. Like the Imperial Consort.” Chanhyuk said as he assisted him in wearing the grey suit. Junhwe glared at his aide, but Chanhyuk just grinned.

 

“Thai jewelry is beautifully crafted. I would suggest a bracelet or a necklace, Your Highness.”

 

That didn’t seem bad. A bracelet would be the perfect accent for Donghyuk’s pretty wrist. He blushed at that and cleared his throat. “Can we have a bracelet made before we go back? Something simple, but sophisticated.”

 

“Of course, Your Highness. I’ll have it prepared in time.”

 

The assurance got him to relax enough to finish the rest of his duties. An agricultural agreement was successfully secured so the Korean parliament and the public would surely be satisfied with that. As the last day came, Chanhyuk finally presented to him a box holding a rose gold braided bracelet. It’s thin, far from gaudy but the first class workmanship was still obvious. He gave Chanhyuk a nod of approval.

 

“Here, Your Highness.” his aide suddenly showed an identical box. “A matching one for you. I’m sure you’ll ask for one later on, anyway.”

 

Junhwe blushed and scowled. “What? I didn’t-- why would I wear a matching bracelet with my f-friend?”

 

“There’s nothing wrong with it, Your Highness. They’re called friendship bracelets for a reason.”

 

And then Chanhyuk grinned at him and left to arrange his check-out from the hotel. Junhwe just sighed, stared at the bracelet intended for him, and took it out so he could wear it now. Friendship bracelet sounded like a good excuse to give so Donghyuk wouldn’t be pressured to wear his.

 

Then suddenly, Chanhyuk asked to enter his room again, his voice serious and on alert. Chanhyuk was sweating and looked slightly bewildered when he went inside.

 

“Your Highness, the palace should have sent you a message just now. Please read it.”

 

Junhwe frowned a bit and took his phone out of his pocket. Indeed, there’s a message from the King’s staff. He opened it. Huge letters in red emphasized the headline of the digital newspaper copy forwarded to him.

 

“Caught in the act! The Imperial Consort on a date with another man! Is this a sign of infidelity against the Crown Prince?”

 

Then there’s a smaller header below, accusing the Imperial Consort of using his royal status to get first place in his university’s song making competition.

 

Junhwe was shocked, disbelief rising in him. But what made him so speechless was the large picture accompanying the header. It’s a well-timed shot of Donghyuk inside a shop for fashion caps, wearing clothes meant to hide most of his face. He was smiling widely at a man whose back was the only thing caught on camera. Anyone wouldn’t be able to guess the identity of the guy just from that, but Junhwe knew. He knew that figure all too well.

 

It’s Jinhwan.

 

He clenched his fists as he stared at the picture. Maybe this was why Hanbin refused to give details regarding the Imperial Consort. Anger started to brew inside him and he knew he shouldn’t give in when there wasn’t concrete evidence yet, but he’s jealous. Angrily, madly jealous. And frustratingly enough, his feelings became clearer to him because of it.

 

He’s not jealous of Donghyuk anymore. He’s jealous of Jinhwan, and angry at how Donghyuk might be taken away.

 

“The palace urges you to extend your stay here for one more week, Your Highness.” Chanhyuk reported, voice serious but concerned. “They already prepared a reason for the extension, so you don’t have to worry.”

 

What bull. How could he not worry at this time? He took a deep breath, trying to calm down as he clenched and unclenched his fists.

 

“The Imperial Consort, how is he? There’s nothing about him in the message.”

 

“He is in the palace, Your Highness. He’s most likely being interrogated now.”

 

“.”

 

He didn’t care that the aide heard him curse. He kicked air and sat at the edge of the bed, head resting on his hands. Gritting his teeth, he saw the bracelet dangling around his right wrist.

 

“No, I’m not gonna stay here. We’ll go back, just as scheduled.”

 

He rubbed his face and gave Chanhyuk an authoritative look. The aide understood and nodded at him, leaving again to prepare their departure. Junhwe shook his head and cursed again under his breath.

 

 

---

 

 

King Jiyong and Queen Sandara were not amused. For the first time since he married into the royal household, Donghyuk felt the full weight of their sovereignty. Their auras had never been so intimidating. Still, Donghyuk explained what happened as detailed and accurate as he could, looking at them straight to the eye, despite protocols, to make them see he wasn’t lying.

 

Yes, he was out shopping during his stay over at his home. Yes, it’s Jinhwan with him. Yes, it’s a date.

 

But no, it’s not a date for an affair. It was a shopping date with a close friend. No, he’s not shopping for said friend. He’s shopping for a gift to give the Crown Prince. No, they were not alone. Hanbin was actually with them but the photographer obviously waited for the perfect timing to catch only him and Jinhwan.

 

And why was he shopping with Jinhwan anyway? Because he’s the one who knew Junhwe the best. But he couldn't tell that to the King and Queen.

 

“Kim Hanbin has been in service in the royal palace since he was an adolescent and has proven his loyalty so many times. I trust his confirmation of your words.”

 

Donghyuk had to bite his lip so he wouldn’t sigh in relief in front of King Jiyong. However, he knew it’s not settled yet.

 

“But I’m afraid the public won’t let you off even if we release your statement of the truth. Is there an update from the university already?”

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.” Queen Sandara politely answered. “They insist that the results for the competition were fair, since a large percentage of the grade was from random people who didn’t know the identities of the song makers. They said they’ll be releasing a statement explaining the whole process soon.”

 

“Good. It’s unfortunate that even an accomplishment would be marred by this… scandal.”

 

Donghyuk clenched his fists. It’s not a scandal. He wanted to speak up, but he held back.

 

“Your Majesty.” the Queen spoke up again. “I would like to plead you to please be more understanding of the Imperial Consort. He grew up with the freedom to go out with his friends without much repercussions, and with no eyes watching him. His intentions for going on that trip was good. It was for the Crown Prince after all. So please be more understanding.”

 

Donghyuk wanted to cry. The Queen was so kind towards him. He bowed his head and pleaded as well in silence. He felt the King’s heavy eyes on him.

 

“The Imperial Consort is no longer an ordinary citizen. He should have been more aware of his position now. The Crown Prince’s reputation can be tainted.” A pause and a sigh. “But the Queen’s words are also true. You are indeed innocent in all of this, so I will make sure to take that into account while deciding how to discipline you. I expect that this will be a very important lesson to you.”

 

He bowed deeper. “Yes, Your Majesty. I thank Her Majesty the Queen for her graciousness, as well.”

 

“This meeting is done. Please go back to your room and wait for our decision.”

 

Jiwon and Chanwoo were waiting for him at the Crown Prince’s estate when he returned there. They wanted to do something to convince the King and Queen more, but Donghyuk told them not to. It’s better to not aggravate the situation when they already knew he’s innocent.

 

They stayed with him until both of them couldn't ignore their own duties any longer. Hanbin was beside him all the while, looking more pensive especially when the decision was finally reported to them.

 

“The Imperial Consort is to stop engaging in public leisure activities freely. If he is to go out in public, he is to make an announcement and make sure the palace media knows beforehand. Furthermore, he is to stop engaging in extracurricular academic activities to avoid rumors. He is to focus on his studies and accompany the Crown Prince in more royal civil duties, as what is expected of him. As a show of obedience and humbleness to the people the royal household serves, The Imperial Consort is to kneel as penance in front of the main hall entrance for half a day, the day after tomorrow.”

 

Donghyuk gulped. He didn’t know whether he could survive kneeling for long hours, under the sun, and with the hotness of cement underneath his legs, but he’ll endure. What hit him more was the other conditions. What remaining freedom he had left was further stripped. He’s really chained to the palace now.

 

Tears ran down his cheeks. Hanbin informed him of his mother calling, so he wiped his tears and made sure his voice wasn’t trembling as he assured her that he’ll be alright. He’s worried if she’s being harassed, but she told him that their neighbors believe in him and were campaigning for his innocence. Even his sister, who should be focusing on her studies in the U.S., had posted a supporting message for him in IG. He’s thankful for that.

 

When he was done talking with his mom and messaging his sister, Hanbin told him that someone else was there for a visit.

 

“It’s Kim Jinhwan-ssi. He’s waiting outside.” Hanbin gave him a serious look. “I advise His Highness to not receive him at this time.”

 

Donghyuk sniffed and wiped another round of tears. “Why? He hasn’t done anything wrong. I dragged him into this mess. Let him in.”

 

“...Are you sure, Your Highness?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Hanbin looked defeated as he bowed and left to let his visitor in. Jinhwan looked crestfallen when they’re face to face.

 

“How are you?” the sunbae reached to hold his hands. “I can’t believe even our competition win is being questioned now. I’m just… I’m so sorry.”

 

Donghyuk shook his head and led his hyung to the foyer entrance to the fountain. He told him he shouldn't apologize, that he wasn't at fault. He asked whether Jinhwan was being troubled by rumors, but he said he wasn’t.

 

“Is there anything I can do for you? I can talk to some people in the media. Make them silent.”

 

“No, please don’t do anything like that hyung. I have to bear this on my own.”

 

“Does Junhwe know already?”

 

The mention of the name caused Donghyuk to bite his lip, dread pooling at the pit of his stomach.

 

“He definitely knows. I’m scared, hyung. What if he becomes angry or disappointed with this? Scratch that, of course he’ll be disappointed.”

 

“He won’t if you tell him your reason. He’ll listen to you.”

 

“I hope so…” he sniffed, tried to collect himself but his tears were more stubborn. He felt Jinhwan’s gaze.

 

“You love him.”

 

It’s amusing how Donghyuk regarded that statement as absolute truth. Both his mind and heart knew.

 

“Yes. It's so lame how I'm admitting it like this.” he sobbed and chuckled. “I really love him. I’m even jealous of you, hyung. Can you believe that?”

 

“And yet you asked me to help you pick a gift for Junhwe.” his hyung amusingly said.

 

“Yeah, stupid right? Look at the consequence.”

 

“It’s not stupid. You love him enough to set aside jealousy because you think I can help you.” Jinhwan gently scolded him. “And what consequence? This is all caused by malicious people.”

 

But no matter how innocent his intentions were, his actions still had a negative effect. Still, he took comfort in knowing he had Jinhwan’s support too, letting Jinhwan rub circles on his back to help him relax. When he calmed down his hyung pulled up the bag he’d been carrying, taking out a box.

 

“By the way, here it is. The customized polaroid camera you ordered. They delivered it this morning.”

 

Donghyuk took a moment before looking at the box. It’s his gift for Junhwe, the exact reason for the shopping excursion. He didn’t feel like he had the right to give it now.

 

“Please hold on to it for now, hyung. I want to give it to him when everything’s settled. This isn't the right time.”

 

“...This could be the right time.” Jinhwan urged him. When he shakes his head, the other gave up. “Okay, I’ll hold on to it.”

 

“Thank you hyung.”

 

Jinhwan gently patted his back. “May I hug my dongsaeng? I want to comfort him. This is from Yunhyeong as well.”

 

Donghyuk chuckled and accepted the hug. Jinhwan held him tightly, emphasizing a point.

 

“You’ll be alright, okay? Be strong. We’re here for you. Junhwe will be here for you.”

 

How badly Dongyuk hoped Jinhwan’s words would hold true.

 

 

---

 

 

He felt dread, anger, jealousy, confusion - all wrapping into one giant mess, as he watched the Imperial Consort, his consort, hugging and being comforted by another man. And of all people, it’s Jinhwan.

 

Ha. Did that mean the allegations were correct?

 

He walked out of the receiving area, passing by Hanbin who’s pulling his luggage in. The aide called after him but he just continued walking out. He called for his driver and asked him to drive him out of the estate; bring him to a royal vacation house far away. He couldn’t stand staying in the same place as the consort.

 

Hours later, Jiwon and Chanwoo were calling him, probably to ask where he was. The King and Queen knew but respected his wish to be left alone. He ignored his cousin and brother’s calls, opting to just text them that he’s fine.

 

Donghyuk had been trying to contact him too, just minutes after news of his arrival aired in national TV news.

 

“I’m so glad you arrived safely.”

 

“Did you read the news already?”

 

“You’re not answering my calls. I want to talk to you.”

 

“I want to explain Junhwe. Please. I’ll answer all the questions you have.”

 

“Please Junhwe.”

 

He had enough when he arrived at the royal family’s pension outside Seoul. He replied with a curt “Leave me alone.” and switched his phone off.

 

The aides in the pension seemed tense as they served him dinner, unspoken questions hanging in the air. Junhwe ignored their curious demeanor locked himself inside his room. He tried to be absorbed in online assignments but he couldn't concentrate.

 

It’s 30 minutes before midnight when he decided to get some fresh night air. As he walked past the common rest area, he heard the television from there. The news was about Donghyuk.

 

His feet unconsciously stop. The news was reporting about the palace’s official statement. They said the Imperial Consort was only in a shopping excursion with a close friend, taking advantage of the time while visiting his mother. They also said the consort’s primary aide was with them. Reports from their university were also discussed, refuting the allegations of unfairness in judging. Lastly, it’s reported that Donghyuk would have to undergo a penance of kneeling the next day for causing unrest to the public.

 

Junhwe gritted his teeth as his mind started to argue with himself. The official statement was most likely true, but it could also be just an excuse. Hanbin had also made it clear that he’s on Donghyuk’s side…

 

He shook his head and returned to his room. Forget about getting fresh air. He’ll just go to sleep.

 

But of course, he didn’t get much of it. He rose early in the morning, the pension’s household manager politely informing him that the Imperial Consort had already started his kneeling penance. Apparently, it was being broadcasted live until 2 in the afternoon. Junhwe sneaked a look at the clock across the dining hall. It’s only 7 am and here he was, having a breakfast too large for one person, as if nothing significant was happening. He wanted to switch the television on, but he’s afraid he’d give in and run to Donghyuk once he saw him.

 

After breakfast, he distracted himself by looking through photography and art books displayed in the bookshelves. Once in awhile, royal aides would pass by, whispering among themselves. Junhwe would hear “consort”, “cruel”, and “getting pale”. He could also feel their eyes on him, as if expecting him to do something.

 

Then around 11 am Jiwon suddenly barged in, Jinhwan following closely behind.

 

“What’s he doing here?” Junhwe scowled at his older cousin.

 

“You two need to talk.” Jiwon sighed tiredly and plopped himself on one of the sofas. “Since you don’t want to listen to your consort, at least listen to the one who’s with him that day. You need sense and reason to be slapped to you.”

 

Junhwe glared harder but couldn’t bring himself to dismiss them when Jinhwan was challenging him with a fearless look. He grunted and wordlessly walked out of the living room. Fine. They’d set things straight once and for all.

 

“You're an idiot.” Jinhwan hissed as soon as they stepped into the east garden. “Why the hell are you here and not with Donghyuk?”

 

Junhwe scoffed. “It doesn't matter. You're there with him anyway. He only needs you.”

 

“What? Where are you pulling that nonsense?”

 

“From you guys, where else?” he hesitated and pushed his hands down his pockets, raising his chin at the other male. “It seems you want to be with each other so much, so go ahead.”

 

Jinhwan looked shocked with his words. Then he glared and marched towards him.

 

“We could have been with each other way before if I could and if Donghyuk wants it too. But no, I’m not the one he wants and I’m not going to make things difficult for him.”

 

Junhwe narrowed his eyes down at the other. “But you just did.”

 

“No. You did, for being this stubborn and thick-headed.”

 

Jiwon, who was just silently observing, chose that moment to hand Jinhwan a bag before leaving the two of them alone. Without warning, Jinhwan pushed the bag to Junhwe’s chest.

 

“Take it. That’s the whole reason Donghyuk went shopping with me. He got it for you.”

 

What? Junhwe felt his whole body grow numb as he took the bag, staring at it for a few seconds as if he wasn’t quite sure what was happening. The other male stepped back and impatiently watched him take out what was inside. It was a black polaroid camera with silver accents. On the main plating, at the lower right side, were engraved initials of “JN”. It’s his initials in his photo prints.

 

He froze, his heart sinking in his stomach.

 

“He wanted to give you a thank you gift but wasn’t sure what to get, so he asked me to go with him. He thought I knew you the best.” Jinhwan explained with a humorless chuckle. “He didn’t need me though ‘cause he thought of that polaroid cam himself. I just helped him go to the right places and order it for him.”

 

Junhwe gulped. His hands were shaking. “I… I didn't know.”

 

“Obviously, because you refused to listen to him!” Jinhwan scolded. “I even told him last night that you’ll be with him. I feel like a liar and I want to beat you up.”

 

The words “last night” engraved on Junhwe’s mind and suddenly, everything clicked. He cursed once, twice, as he held the camera closer to him. Jinhwan released a long sigh.

 

“You have nothing to worry about June-ya. I won’t take Donghyuk away from you and Donghyuk isn't even the kind of person to commit adultery. Can’t believe you blinded yourself.”

 

“I was jealous.” Junhwe answered, voice defeated. “You two are so assured about your relationship. It’s as if anytime he can go to you and leave me. Whereas Donghyuk and I…”

 

“Then confirm what you two have now. Make sure you both know. It’s that easy.”

 

Jinhwan gestured towards the compound’s gates. “Come on. Donghyuk’s penance is about to end in 3 hours. If we go now, you’ll make it in time for him to finish. I’m sure the country wouldn’t mind seeing the Crown Prince show his love for the Imperial Consort.”

 

“Okay.” Junhwe took a moment to breathe, collecting himself. Carefully putting the camera back into the bag, he faced Jinhwan again. “Thank you hyung.”

 

Jinhwan nodded, a small smile on his lips. “Good. Let’s go.”

 

They ran back to the main area, dragging Jiwon up as they rushed out. The older prince wouldn’t shut up about how happy he was that Junhwe finally stopped being an idiot. Apparently, aside from being concerned for Donghyuk, he hated how Hanbin was getting less rest due to the worry for the consort he’d been serving. Junhwe apologized and promised to set things right this time.

 

Chanwoo was so relieved when they arrived. Yunhyeong was there as well, eyes teary as he related how Donghyuk almost collapsed three times. He glared at Junhwe too and fearlessly threatened to smack him across the face if he abandoned Donghyuk again. They led him towards the viewing platform, where he could see a group of media across from them. At the middle of the wide pavement and under the scorching sun, was Donghyuk.

 

Junhwe made a move to run there and carry him out, but his brother and cousin held him back.

 

“You can’t Junhwe. This will be meaningless if you interfere.” Jiwon warned. Junhwe gulped, his jaw clenching.

 

Donghyuk was wearing only traditional inner clothing with nothing on his head to protect him from the sun. A thin cushion was provided for him to kneel, but that was it. Junhwe felt even more guilty as dread rose in him.

 

It was agony to wait for each minute to pass. When the bell for 2 pm finally rang, he ran out of the deck, not letting anyone stop him.

 

Cameras immediately flashed and the excited voices of reporters broke the hushed silence around. Junhwe ignored everything and knelt down as soon as he got to Donghyuk’s side, catching him in his arms and carefully lifting his unconscious body up. Hanbin and the other aides offered to carry Donghyuk instead but he refused, not caring that he sounded angry. He tried to bite back tears as he walked out of the open area.

 

“I’m sorry.” he whispered, the tears escaping his eyes as he pressed a kiss on Donghyuk’s temple. “I’m here now. I’m so sorry.”

 

 

---

 

 

Donghyuk felt weak when he came to. He saw the familiar ceiling of his room and felt the familiar softness of his bed. On his right, by his bedside, was the Crown Prince sleeping with his arms folded.

 

He blinked and made a move to sit up, causing a shot of immediate dizziness. An IV drip was connected to his left hand, probably injecting him with water and liquid medicine.

 

“Donghyuk!”

 

Junhwe woke up, eyes wide at him as he stood up and shifted closer. The prince asked him if he needed the doctor or anything, but Donghyuk didn’t care about that. He reached to grip Junhwe’s shirt, tugging it.

 

“Junhwe…” He winced at the dry feel of his mouth and the hoarseness of his voice. “About the rumors, it’s not true.”

 

“Yes, I know. Forget about that for now.” Junhwe sat back on the chair and held his right hand, squeezing it softly. “I’m just so sorry. For everything. Just take more rest okay? The doctor said you need to stay in bed until tomorrow afternoon.”

 

Donghyuk gulped. “You’re not angry anymore?”

 

“I’m angry at myself.” Junhwe said with a self-deprecating chuckle. “But definitely not with you. Jinhwan-hyung explained everything to me. It’s fine now.”

 

He felt more relaxed when Junhwe smiled to convince him.

 

“Let’s talk later okay? Close your eyes and sleep more. I’ll be here.”

 

Nodding, he smiled back as Junhwe brushed his bangs off his eyes, and did as he was told.

 

The next time Donghyuk woke up, it’s already daybreak. He felt much better and without the dizziness from the first time he woke up. Junhwe wasn’t at his side anymore but in his place was Hanbin.

 

He smiled because his lord-in-waiting looked very relieved. Hanbin told him they had to pull Junhwe away to his own bed so he could sleep too, apparently refusing to leave Donghyuk’s side. He’s asked if he wanted to see the Crown Prince but Donghyuk declined, not wanting to disturb his husband. Instead, he asked for food and water.

 

After eating a light meal, he decided to walk around. His legs still feel sore from the penance he did, but with more exercise he’ll get back into shape in no time. He took a quick shower, changed his clothes, and went to walk around again.

 

It’s already near noon by the time Donghyuk saw Junhwe again. Donghyuk was at his music room, lightly playing the piano when a knock on the door caught his attention. He looked up and was greeted with Junhwe leaning by the door frame, a small frown on his face.

 

“You’re supposed to be resting in bed until afternoon, you know? And why did you guys just let me sleep?”

 

“Because you need to rest too.” he answered with a small smile as Junhwe approached him. The prince’s tense expression softened as soon as he reached Donghyuk’s side.

 

Junhwe’s eyes were unwavering on his face. “Are you really feeling alright now?”

 

“Yes. I’ll feel worse if I stayed in bed more.” he patted the space on his right, asking the other to sit. Junhwe obliged. “So…”

 

“I’m sorry.” Junhwe spoke out first, lacing his fingers on his lap. “I’m sorry for not giving you a chance to explain. I shouldn’t have believed the news right away.”

 

Donghyuk nodded. “Like you said yesterday, it’s fine now. Besides, I have some faults too. The King and Queen were right. I shouldn’t have went out like that so freely.”

 

“But if I listened to you first, I might have done something more. You shouldn’t have to kneel.”

 

“What’s done is done now, Junhwe. What I did isn’t in vain anyway. It’s my apology to the public.”

 

Junhwe scoffed, shaking his head. Donghyuk softly nudged him on the arm to comfort him in a friendly way, which was effective because Junhwe’s posture laxed after it.

 

“I got your gift, by the way. The polaroid camera.”

 

“Oh.” Donghyuk blushed a bit. “Jinhwan-hyung gave it to you already huh?”

 

“Yeah, thank you. I really like it.”

 

“That’s good to hear.” He looked up, giving the other a nervous smile.

 

Junhwe gazed at him as if contemplating many words in his head. Then the prince cleared his throat and took something out from the inner pocket of his coat.

 

“I got this for you from Thailand.” Junhwe took his hand and placed something on his palm. It’s a braided bracelet. He stared at the accessory in wonder, noting how simple yet classy it looked. Totally his style.

 

“I told you your safety is already enough, but thank you. It’s beautiful.” he chuckled. “We’re basically exchanging gifts now. It’s so weird.”

 

“Nothing wrong with that. Here, let me put it on your wrist.”

 

Donghyuk felt the warmth on his cheeks again as Junhwe held his wrist and put on his gift around it. The prince grinned, as if proud of an accomplishment, before he pulled his cuff upward to show him a matching bracelet.

 

“See? We have the same one.”

 

“What are these? Friendship bracelets?” Donghyuk laughed softly. He actually wanted to say “couple bracelets” but he held himself back, still not wanting to assume, even though technically they were a couple.

 

But Junhwe said those exact words he avoided.

 

“Couple bracelets, actually.” Junhwe held his hand again and Donghyuk’s heart started drumming on his chest. “Soon, it’ll be matching rings.”

 

Donghyuk literally felt his heart thump hard on his ears. He looked down and watched as Junhwe laced their fingers, as if not giving him any chance to break the contact, as though the Crown Prince had no intentions of letting him go. What to do? There’s an implication in those words and his actions and it’s making Donghyuk hope.

 

“You know, I saw your photos of Jinhwan-hyung in your darkroom.” he suddenly blurted, just so he could get out some tension from himself. Wrong choice of topic though.

 

“Oh. Yeah, I had those.”

 

“Seems like you truly loved him.”

 

Actually, it’s not really a wrong topic. He was bothered by it and since they’re here now, might as well address everything. So he could stop telling himself not to assume, not to deny himself. Really follow what Jinhwan told him; to just focus on his happiness.

 

“I did but at the same time, I didn’t.” Junhwe acknowledged. He still refused to let his hand go. “I was very fascinated by him and we were similar in a lot of ways but when I compared what I felt back then for him, to what I’m feeling now, for you, those feelings before pale in comparison.”

 

A pause. “And those photos? They’re part of the past now. I plan to make a much larger photo collection of a different subject. Of you. I hope you let me.”

 

Donghyuk bit his lip, preventing himself from smiling so widely. Well, that definitely closed the issue of Junhwe’s feelings for Jinhwan, then.

 

On the other hand, it affirmed what he’d been trying to deny but had secretly hoped.

 

“I thought we both agreed to make each other’s lives miserable here, Your Highness?” he said as he looked up to the prince, giving up on preventing the wide smile.

 

“I’ll be miserable if you reject me.” Junhwe moved closer, sighing helplessly. “I had treated you badly and you went through unpleasant things. I can’t promise you that you won’t face similar things in the future, but I promise that I’ll protect you and do everything to make you happy. It will be an honor if you choose to stay with me. For real.”

 

Junhwe’s eyes softened as he brushed Donghyuk’s bangs. Donghyuk could see sincerity in there and a little bit of fear.

 

“I plead the Imperial Consort to please accept my feelings.”

 

However, the Crown Prince had nothing to fear. He wanted to laugh at how Junhwe’s words sound so similar to a marriage proposal. Such an irony for the two of them, but a very much welcomed one, nonetheless.

 

Finally, he could confidently affirm that he chose to be here. With Junhwe. Not because of an arranged marriage before they were even born.

 

“I humbly accept.” Donghyuk answered with a laugh. He’s so happy that he easily leaned up to give Junhwe a chaste kiss and say the next words.

 

“I love you.”

 

Junhwe flushed deeply all the way to his ears. Then his prince laughed adoringly, cupping his face and repeating the three words on his waiting lips.

 

 

---

 

 

Junhwe went straight to action as soon as he saw for himself that Donghyuk’s totally okay now. Aside from his academic program studies, he also headed the royal media’s task to delete as many hate articles and comments against the Imperial Consort as they could. The public’s impression of Donghyuk greatly improved after his penance, with some even admonishing the King and Queen for punishing him with such a “cruel” act, but there were still stubborn people who would rather feed on negativity. He won’t let them thrive.

 

As for Donghyuk, he passed on most of the song-making tasks to Yunhyeong and Jinhwan due to the royal order. Junhwe felt very bad about it and had talked to the Queen about having the order revoked, but he’s advised not to push on it.

 

“Perhaps in the future, but not right now.” his mother had told him with a sympathetic look. “Endurance and patience are key.”

 

Donghyuk also knew that. His consort had been accompanying him to most of his public civil duties nowadays, and he even had some events on his own. Junhwe observed that Donghyuk especially liked events and projects for children, so he gave him more opportunities to work on them.

 

Junhwe was proud that his spouse has started to gather more supporters from those. His consort was genuine in his endeavors for the public; humbly working in silence and without the camera flashes of the media while ignoring doubts thrown at him. Seeing Donghyuk like that, Junhwe was confident they’ll have a strong and wonderful reign together in the future.

 

After a whole month since the wretched adultery fiasco, the King and Queen summoned the two of them. The two sovereigns look relaxed this time.

 

“Royal Prince Jiwon has told us his intentions to marry. He had already chosen a suitable partner and we approve of his choice.” said King Jiyong, sighing a little. “However, the gentleman refuses to accept until his superior gives his blessings.”

 

Junhwe wondered what’s that got to do with them, until his Queen mother revealed that it was Hanbin who Jiwon wanted to marry. Donghyuk was quick to announce his approval, of course.

 

“I’m afraid he will have to resign as your lord-in-waiting once he marries the Royal Prince Jiwon. Is that alright with you?” Queen Sandara asked.

 

Donghyuk didn’t have any problems with that. “Yes, Your Majesty. The Royal Prince Jiwon and Hanbin-ssi’s happiness is more important.”

 

The King nodded in agreement. “That’s settled then. Now, for the other issue we have to discuss…”

 

Succession. That’s what Junhwe suspected the King wanted to talk about. Junhwe felt more nervous when his father the King confirmed it. The Queen looked so serious as well, so Junhwe discreetly held Donghyuk’s hand in his, bracing the two of them. His mother noticed though and suddenly, the serious look on her face dropped.

 

“Ah, the Crown Prince and Imperial Consort are getting along very well. I’m relieved.”

 

“Then the two of you will be happy about this.” The King added, now smiling a bit.

 

Apparently, the topic of succession had something more to do with heirs. Since his elder prince cousin would be marrying now, the King and Queen wanted Junhwe and Donghyuk to try to conceive before his cousin’s wedding, just so they could avoid potential disputes in the future. And so…

 

“I’m hereby pausing all civil duties of the Crown Prince and the Imperial Consort so they could go on an official honeymoon for two weeks. You haven’t had one since the two of you married after all.”

 

Junhwe felt his cheeks go warm at his father’s words. He didn’t look at Donghyuk but he’s sure the other had the same reaction as well. Meanwhile, his mother had been hiding an amused smile behind a fan, winking at him when their eyes met. Junhwe blushed more.

 

He cleared his throat. “We understand, Your Majesty.”

 

“The Imperial Consort will obey.” Donghyuk added. His voice was a little softer.

 

His parents gave them grins, with the King even quipping a “No pressure, though.” Junhwe wanted to roll his eyes.

 

Chanwoo just laughed at him when he told him about it. Apparently, it’s already been planned since before he went to Thailand but it was pushed back when the rumors broke out.

 

“It’s actually a disguised reward for my dear hyungs’ hard work. You’re not really expected to come back with news of my nephew or niece two months later. But if that ends up happening, everyone will rejoice.” teased Chanwoo, laughing when Junhwe walked out on him. He couldn’t believe the King and Queen basically trolled them.

 

Not that he didn’t approve of it.

 

Three days later, he and Donghyuk found themselves on a chartered flight to the royal family’s vacation house in Jeju-do. No announcements of any kind to the public were made so they arrived without fuss from the media. They’re supposed to stay there for a week.

 

The first few hours were awkward since the trip was still called a “honeymoon” after all. However when both of them saw the sights of the sea, they shifted their priorities. Donghyuk took his guitar out and wrote lyrics while watching the soft waves of the beach, while Junhwe took pictures of the waters, the sky, the vacation house.

 

And of course, he took pictures of his beloved consort. Sometimes making him laugh, sometimes making him annoyed, Junhwe captured every expression Donghyuk showed using both his DSLR and the new polaroid. Most of the week was spent just enjoying each other’s presence while doing the things they both love. Donghyuk playfully took candid photos of Junhwe too, and Junhwe listened to the song drafts Donghyuk made. With each moment spent together, Junhwe just fell in love even more. He knew Donghyuk was the same with him and they both show it in affectionate touches and kisses.

 

When the Jeju stay is up, they’re given the freedom to go wherever they want for the remaining week. Donghyuk asked him where he wanted to go, and his answer was immediate.

 

“I want to visit your mother and pay my respects.”

 

Donghyuk looked the happiest when he said that.

 

His mother-in-law was surprised when they knocked on the door early in the morning. It’s amusing how she smacked her son for not informing her of the visit beforehand, while she’s sweet and very accommodating with Junhwe. He was even asked of the dishes he’d want to eat for lunch and dinner.

 

Donghyuk was sent on an errand to buy ingredients (he’s accompanied by two bodyguards this time), and his in-law took advantage of it to show him Donghyuk’s baby and childhood photos. He’s also shown a picture of his consort’s grandfather, to whom he silently sent a prayer of thanks for being a bridge for him to meet Donghyuk.

 

Stories were told after that, making Junhwe feel guilty again for accusing Donghyuk of going after the royal household’s money. He found out of the family’s struggles to make ends meet, the long nights Donghyuk didn't sleep to meet the demands of his scholarship, all the sacrifices. Such as marrying him.

 

“Forgive me for labeling your marriage as a sacrifice, but I know that’s really how Donghyuk looked at it that time.” the woman explained. “Till now I berate myself for pushing him into it.”

 

Junhwe shook his head. “There’s no offense, mother. Please don’t blame yourself.”

 

He paused and gathered the rest of his sincerity and affirmation.

 

“And I hope mother won’t worry about her son now. I vow to take care and protect Donghyuk and our future children. He’s irreplaceably precious to me so rest assured.”

 

“How gracious of our Crown Prince.”

 

Junhwe wanted to correct her that his words weren’t out of grace, but she continued speaking.

 

“Do you love my son?”

 

More than how he could explain. It’s quite scary, honestly. But it’s nothing compared to the rest of his feelings.

 

“Yes, I love Donghyuk very much.”

 

His mother-in-law regarded him with a satisfied smile before nodding and holding his hand in hers. In return, Junhwe squeezed her hand back and did a formal bow to her.

 

Donghyuk was oblivious of their discussion but knew that his baby pictures had been exposed. Junhwe by saying he’ll have all the albums transferred to their estate so he could see them whenever, earning himself a glare as Donghyuk sliced beef. Junhwe just laughed while he did his assigned duty of washing the vegetables.

 

After dinner and when mother already retired to her room, Donghyuk showed him a clear view of the night sky from the porch leading to the small vegetable garden. Junhwe had the urge to get his camera and take a shot of the stars, but he set that aside. There’s a more important thing to do.

 

“Donghyuk-ah.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

He took out a small box from the inner pocket of his leather jacket. He opened it in Donghyuk’s view to reveal two gold rings.

 

“Will you marry me?”

 

His eyes never left Donghyuk’s face, watching in adoration how the consort’s expression transformed from surprise to amusement. Donghyuk laughed as a glint of happiness sparkled in his eyes.

 

“We’re already married, Your Highness. Currently on our honeymoon trip too. Did you forget?”

 

“Of course not. I just want to really ask you. The cheesy speech I told you before doesn’t count as a proposal.”

 

He smirked when Donghyuk playfully scoffed at him.

 

“Besides after formally asking your mom for your hand, this is appropriate. Now it doesn’t feel like we’re just dating.”

 

“You talked to mom?”

 

“Yes. I told her she can entrust you to me now without worries.”

 

His consort's gaze on him softened as he smiled. “Then by all means, Yes! I’ll marry you.”

 

Junhwe grinned widely. “Matching rings, remember?” he said as he took out the rings. Donghyuk laughed again and watched him remove the placeholder jade ring he’s been wearing so he could slide in the real one.

 

“And Donghyuk?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I love you. I’ll marry you everyday if I could.”

 

“I thought you’re done with the cheesy speeches?”

 

“I am. I’m stating a fact right now.” he kissed the other’s hand, looking at him in expectation. Donghyuk grinned.

 

“Okay. I love you too. Marrying everyday is excessive though.”

 

Junhwe scoffed, and then tackled his husband to the wooden floors. He embraced a giggling Donghyuk and kissed him intently on his temple, solemnly repeating his vows in his head one more time.

 

.

.

.




 

“I’m going to miss you.” he said with a heavy sigh, adjusting his position so he’s standing shoulder to shoulder with Hanbin at the railings of the balcony. His now former aide nodded and moved his arm so he could pat his head from behind.

 

“I’m going to miss you too, Your Highness.”

 

“It’s just Donghyuk now.” Donghyuk chuckled. “You’re Jiwon-hyung’s fiance! Drop the formalities.”

 

Hanbin sheepishly shrugged and took a sip from his wine glass. “Habits are difficult to break, and technically you’re still higher in rank. You’re going to be this nation’s Queen someday.”

 

“But that’s so far long into the future!” he chuckled again.

 

A loud cheer from the small party inside interrupted them, so they walked back towards everyone. Donghyuk automatically went to Junhwe’s side, smiling when he felt his husband’s arm snaking around his waist even though he’s busy laughing at a disbelieved Jiwon.

 

“What happened?”

 

“Chanwoo won at cards again. Jiwon-hyung just lost a car!”

 

He snickered at that, glancing across them to see the elder prince dramatically wrap his arms around Hanbin as if to cry. Hanbin blushed but had a shy smile on his face as he patted the prince’s back in comfort.

 

“Your brother-in-law’s scary.” Yunhyeong remarked to him, shaking his head. “Like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.”

 

“I heard that! Thanks for the compliment!” Chanwoo cut in while cheekily pointing at Yunhyeong with the cards. Then he proceeded to say that since Jiwon’s wedding was near, he’ll just give back the car he won as a gift. Jiwon protested loudly and Hanbin just laughed.

 

Someone poked him on the back so he turned his head towards Yunhyeong’s direction to see who it was. It’s Jinhwan, smirking at him. He lightened up, “Hyung! I’m so glad you made it here!”

 

“Yeah. I want to greet the newly engaged couple first, but they’re busy.” said Jinhwan with a grin. He gestured towards the playfully bickering princes and Hanbin being caught between them.

 

“So, how’s the nation’s royal couple doing?”

 

“Great.” Junhwe answered. He passed a wine glass to their now-graduated sunbae. “Did you know that Donghyuk ranked higher than me in the popularity polls?”

 

“Oh yeah. I saw that poll.”

 

Donghyuk snorted. “He thinks he’s been blindsided by the younger voters.”

 

“Won’t be surprised if that was the case.” Yunhyeong commented. “Donghyuk’s always been popular with the kids.”

 

“Speaking of kids…”

 

Donghyuk blushed as Jinhwan gave him a knowing smile. Junhwe just blinked at them, not getting the implication.

 

“What about the young voters?”

 

Yunhyeong shook his head. Donghyuk excused himself from his husband and pulled Jihwan at the side, whispering to him about the peculiar things that were happening to him lately.

 

“I’ve been getting dizzy more often nowadays, and I feel sick with certain smells that I don’t mind before.”

 

“Ohhh…” Jinhwan gave him a big grin. “Did you take a test yet? Does Junhwe know?”

 

“No, I didn’t tell him yet; only you and Yunhyeong know.” he lowered his voice. “I don’t want Junhwe getting excited when I’m still not sure. I plan to talk to the royal doctor tomorrow.”

 

“I look forward to seeing the new prince or princess soon~”

 

Donghyuk blushed again and playfully smacked the other on his arm. Junhwe approached them, jokingly accusing Jinhwan of taking him away and having a secret conversation. Jinhwan asked if the Crown Prince is jealous, and Junhwe unconvincingly denied with a small scowl.

 

Donghyuk loved seeing them so carefree with the very things that became their issues before. All the baggages were gone, they’re all good friends, and were happy.

 

“Really, what did you two talk about?” Junhwe asked him as soon as Jinhwan left to finally talk with the newly engaged couple.

 

“This and that.”

 

He laughed when Junhwe pouted in disappointment. “I’ll tell you soon. I need to make sure of something first.”

 

“Fine.” Junhwe grumbled then pulled him closer by the hand, their matching bracelets peeking from under their shirt cuffs. The prince leaned and softly kissed him, the touch lingering even after it was done. The silent promises for both the present and the future were still as clear and irrefutable as the first time they’re discerned.

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

“Hey, the lovebirds over there! We need two more people for the game!”

 

Donghyuk snickered at the interruption while Junhwe rolled his eyes. Together and with their hands still tied, they returned to their loved ones.

 

.

.

.




 

“Your Highness, you need to take a bath now!”

 

“We can play later, my lady! Please come out!”

 

She stuck her tongue out and continued tip-toeing through the wide hallways of the Crown Prince’s estate. Making things hard for her maids wasn’t something she enjoyed doing but right now it’s more important for her to see her papa first.

 

The door to the music room was slightly ajar and she could hear the soft playing of a piano. Grinning widely, she ran to it and pushed the door open.

 

“Papa!!”

 

Donghyuk looked up from the piano keys and smiled. “Hayi!”

 

She ran again and practically jumped into her papa’s arms, hugging him tightly as small tears dangled on her eyes. Her papa’s hand felt warm while he caressed her hair and rubbed her back.

 

“I miss you papa…”

 

“I miss you too, honey.”

 

“Won’t you give me a hug too, princess?”

 

She looked up and grinned at the other person in the room. She giggled and raised her arms up. Papa laughed and stood up from the piano chair to help her go into daddy’s arms.

 

“Of course I’ll hug daddy too!”

 

“Ahh… even though we just saw each other last night when I read you bedtime stories, I still miss you.”

 

“I miss papa more than you, though.”

 

Junhwe snorted, laughed out loud, then pressed a kiss on his daughter’s cheek. Hayi grumbled on it because it felt sticky. Papa’s kisses were softer and warm, and she liked them better.

 

“So, is our princess ready to sing a song for the Queen? Did you practice well, Hayi?”

 

She turns around in Junhwe’s arms to look at Donghyuk, a determined pout on her face.

 

“I practiced hard papa! You can ask uncle Chanwoo and uncle Jiwon! They watched.”

 

“Then I’ll do my best to play the piano for you to sing along.” Donghyuk stepped closer and brushed Hayi’s hair. “Gosh, it feels like just yesterday when my Hayi is mumbling ABC’s. Now she’s going to sing in front of everyone for the Queen’s birthday.”

 

“And it’ll be broadcasted live on national television. Everyone will see you playing the piano too, Donghyuk.”

 

“Who cares about me? Everyone should focus on our daughter.”

 

“Everyone should focus on the two of you.”

 

Hayi watched her parents in interest. She would always find it funny when they talk like this. She especially loved it when papa would pout and daddy would grin and kiss papa on the lips, saying a soft “love you.” It’ll be good if she could find a prince charming like daddy, someday.

 

Someone knocked on the opened door so all of them turned to see the two maids Hayi had been escaping from. Papa gave her a scolding look, so she grinned sheepishly and tugged on Junhwe’s sleeve, wanting him to let her down. The maids apologized and told them that the little princess needed to take a bath and prepare for the party now.

 

“I’ll see you later papa, daddy!”

 

“Okay, dear!”

 

Donghyuk waved his hand as he watched the maids whisk his daughter away. When the door was closed by one of them, Junhwe suddenly hooked an arm around his waist to pull him close. He smiled upon feeling his husband’s lips on his.

 

“I agree with our daughter. I miss you more than anyone. Next time, don’t go on royal charity trips that take you away for more than two days.”

 

“You’ll have to negotiate with His Majesty the King for that.” he pulled away a bit to fix Junhwe’s tie. “You know that you need to say a speech later, right? You better have something prepared.”

 

“I can just wing it.” the Crown Prince smirked then yelped when his consort smacked him on the arm. “What? I give better speeches when I just improvise.”

 

“The fact that that’s true is making me fear for your reign as King.”

 

“That’s fine. My very capable Queen will be there to fix what’s needed anyway.”

 

“You wish. I’ll be too busy going on royal charity trips that take more than two days. I’ll bring Crown Princess Hayi too so it’ll be more fun.”

 

“That’s too much! Why are you treating the future king like this?” Junhwe pulled the Imperial Consort closer again, a mischievous grin on his face. “But maybe if there’s another little princess or prince around…”

 

“For that, you’ll have to negotiate with Hayi.” said Donghyuk as he cheekily patted the prince’s head. He then pulled the cuff of his left sleeve, showing his watch to remind Junhwe of the other preparations they needed to do, yet Junhwe only focused on the bracelet and the ring he gave Donghyuk years ago.

 

“Donghyuk, are you happy?” he asked as they walked out of the music room, hands tied. His consort shrugged as if to , then squeezed his hand to let him know of the other things he couldn’t fit in a single word.

 

“Very.”

 

.

.

.


 

 


 

Edit: I really want a little princess and I think Hayi’s the best fit. She and Junhwe are both sassy, and I feel like she’ll have a soft spot for papa Donghyuk. Imagine Queen Hayi reigning over Korea though. Yaaas.