Universes: Vampire and Lycan

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

And the final AU goes to, of course, JunDong! Featuring one of the most used AU theme in recent history. lol...

Enjoy and thank you for keeping up with this AU series! ♥

 


 

 

The gold around the ballroom is almost blinding. There’s gold in the chandelier, gold in the linings of the grand curtains, and gold in the jewelries of the high society snobs around. Junhwe’s eyes can only find rest whenever they gaze upon a certain vampire he’s been trying to avoid, but can’t ignore, since the event started.

 

“Curious? You’ve been staring at him since they arrived.”

 

Junhwe scoffs at Yunhyeong who just grins in amusement. He looks away from soft platinum blonde hair and almond brown eyes. The night is still young but Junhwe wants to get the hell out of there as soon as possible. Each second that passes just makes his resolve more unbearable.

 

He grunts to himself and pulls his tie down for a bit, just so he could breathe easier. Yunhyeong watches him as if he’s doing the most interesting thing in the dinner party so far.

 

“As you can see, this is the first time he attended. His name’s Donghyuk, 2nd son of the East’s late pureblood Duke.” Yunhyeong says, sipping a bit from his wine glass. “First born Jinhwan dotes on him very much. I heard he’s been turning down the young lord’s suitors without a second thought.”

 

Junhwe scoffs, pretends the last bit of information isn’t important to him. “And why are you telling me this, cousin of mine? I don’t care.”

 

“You’ve been staring at him. Thought you might want to know some info.”

 

“We’re lycans.” Junhwe retorts with a roll of his eyes. “What do we care about our traditional enemies’ daily lives?”

 

Yunhyeong doesn’t seem fazed at his words and Junhwe won’t take offense to it. Vampires may be their enemies since thousands of years ago, but grave losses and the modernization of the world compelled both sides to forget unsolvable vendettas. Alliances and peace treaties have been established in the recent decades too. Now all that’s left are extravagant “friendship” parties where business deals are done and snarky comments are exchanged in hushed whispers.

 

Besides, Junhwe’s retort is more for himself than for Yunhyeong. It’s a reminder for himself not to do anything. He should stay in his side and not cross over, even though there’s something more between him and Donghyuk than just being on opposite sides.

 

“Oh boy…” Yunhyeong winces to himself, subtly pointing to where Donghyuk’s vampire clique is mingling. Jiwon, an alpha lycan from the North pack, is approaching them. Junhwe narrows his eyes and Yunhyeong leans to whisper.

 

“Looks like the rumors are true. They said Jiwon’s been fond of a vampire pureblood. So it’s Lord Donghyuk huh?”

 

Junhwe watches, his eyes completely set on Donghyuk. He sees how the vampire smiles and greets Jiwon as if they’re close friends, and doesn’t even flinch when the lycan pinches his cheek. Donghyuk’s friends don’t seem to mind Jiwon’s presence too. They’re all friendly and accommodating. A sick feeling forms at the pit of Junhwe’s stomach but he dashes it away. As long as the vampire is alright, he could let go.

 

But when he’s about to avert his gaze away, he sees Donghyuk set his brown eyes on him. Junhwe stares back, interested to see if the other would look away, yet Donghyuk doesn’t. The vampire maintains his stare, surprise and recognition at first, before settling to an expression that is gentle but also insistent.

 

Instantly, it’s just the two of them there. There’s something in those eyes, like a call. Those eyes are pleading for him.

 

Junhwe’s grip on his wine glass tightens, his own resolve to back off disappearing in an instant.

 

“Actually, I know Donghyuk from long ago.” he says, causing Yunhyeong to whip his head to him in interest.

 

“What?”

 

“It’s from when we’re kids, when I got lost in the borders. Remember the one I talked about? The boy who saved me?”

 

Yunhyeong’s mouth hangs a bit. “It’s Donghyuk?”

 

“Yeah.” Junhwe sighs and gives his wine glass to Yunhyeong. “The flowers on him are stronger now. It’s very difficult to resist.”

 

Yunhyeong almost drops the glass at his revelation and Junhwe can only smile helplessly. For lycans, “the flowers” is a general term used to denote a very specific scent. If a lycan professes to pick up the scent of “the flowers” from another person, it means only one thing.

 

“The flowers… so he’s your--!!” Yunhyeong gasps, then lowers his voice to a whisper. “He’s your mate?!

 

Junhwe nods and starts arranging his pulled down tie.

 

“But you’re a 1st class alpha. He’s a pureblood vamp! You shouldn’t… that shouldn’t be possible…”

 

“I know. I originally planned to just watch over him but I can’t do that now.”

 

“The chief… uncle will be furious.”

 

“Yeah, but Donghyuk’s calling for me. As a fellow lycan, you should understand.

 

He gives his cousin one last look as if telling him he won’t change his mind any longer. Yunhyeong’s face contorts a bit in deep thought and concern, before he sighs heavily.

 

“Fine, do what you want Junhwe. Let’s hope the chief won’t kill us.”

 

Junhwe grins and thanks his cousin, patting his shoulder cheekily before making his way to the vampire entourage.

 

He feels dozens of pairs of eyes on him, intrigued but also scandalized. He could almost hear their thoughts. What is the heir of the West pack doing? Shouldn’t he be mingling with own people? What would his father say? What would the vampires say?

 

But he maintains a confident air, hands on the pocket of his pants and his eyes unwavering on the pureblood. Donghyuk’s entourage stare at him but also gives way because their lord didn't say anything to hold him back.

 

“Hey, Jiwon-hyung.” he addresses the other lycan who is slack-jawed but curious too. “I didn’t know you have vampire friends. Kindly introduce us please.”

 

The watching vampires turn nervous at his words. Jiwon gives him a hesitant look before sighing, doing what he’s requested to do. A part of Junhwe feels sorry for him since the difference in their status compels Jiwon to do what he wants, but what can Junhwe do? The call of fate is more important.

 

“This is Lord Donghyuk, 2nd son of the late Duke of the East. Lord Donghyuk, this is the West chief’s heir and first born, the young master Junhwe.”

 

Junhwe sets his full attention, eyes dark but intentful, as he reaches for Donghyuk’s hand. Both of them tense up the moment his warm skin touched Donghyuk’s icy one. It’s like being transported to years ago, when it was Donghyuk who pulled him up from the muddy pit hole he fell into. Junhwe had felt it then; an invisible thread that bound them together. It was weak that time and the flowers were only subtle, but now both of them are invading Junhwe’s soul. He knows Donghyuk feels the same way.

 

He raises the pureblood’s hand to his lips so he could press a kiss on his pretty fingers. Donghyuk’s entourage and many of the onlookers gasp but Junhwe pays no heed.

 

“Hello Lord Donghyuk, a pleasure to meet you.”

 

“Likewise.” Pinkish red appears on Donghyuk’s cheeks. He looks shy but Junhwe can see the excited glint in his eyes. “I’m so happy to meet you again, young master Junhwe. Please just call me by my name.”

 

“I’d be honoured to, Donghyuk. Please call me by my name too.”

 

Donghyuk graces him with a small laugh. “Okay, Junhwe.”

 

He holds Donghyuk’s hand tighter, the joy of being remembered and finally being able to talk causing him to grin. Donghyuk smiles brilliantly at him in return and it took all of Junhwe to not pull him into an embrace. Not yet, it’s too early. He still has his father and Donghyuk’s protective older brother to deal with. The rest of the lycans and vampires? Well, they’ll just have to watch from the sidelines.

 

The scent of flowers bloom around the two of them more, and he can feel the invisible thread wrap around them tighter, but that’s alright. Junhwe won’t run away now. Not when Donghyuk wants him too. He’ll hold on and never let go.

 

 

.

 

.

 

.