Persuasion

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

This has been rotting half-finished in my WIP stash when I talked with Nhim2826 about JunDong practicing dance together late in the night and I just...felt motivated to finish this after she gave me a link to Dance in the Mirror by Bruno Mars. The song's not particularly related to this oneshot but forgotten scenes were remembered as I listened and I just can't let the rare chance of inspiration to slip by. :) It's weird and random how motivation comes to me sometimes. lol

Anyway, JunDong dance practice. Angsty, cheesy, fluffy and not-so-innocent. In an approximate sense :P

(I'll never be able to properly gauge stuff...)

 


 

Silence is a friend to Junhwe. He likes that it calms down his mind, that he can do his thing freely and without distractions.

 

Silence with Donghyuk is different.

 

The calmness becomes a storm of questions and speculations in his mind. The freedom becomes a chain, a distraction itself, to force him to pay attention. The music doesn’t help.

 

“You’re not talking to each other for weeks.” Yunhyeong had told him earlier that week, the hyung being the 3rd one to comment on his silence with Donghyuk. He had a prepared retort in his mind that time just like with Jinhwan and Bobby. No, it’s not just weeks. He and Donghyuk haven't had a proper conversation for months.

 

But the retort would only make the situation worse so he had always stayed silent. He was left alone after that until 3 days later and Hanbin suddenly ordered him to say behind with Donghyuk to practice dancing more. “You’re not in sync.” their leader had said. “It’s not like you two.”

 

Of course, because something had changed between them. The silence is a blatant evidence of that.

 

He sees the clock strike 11:20 pm. He and Donghyuk have been practicing for 30 minutes already and his legs are starting to feel cramped. He sits on the floor and leans his back on a bench, breathing heavy and uneven, as he watches Donghyuk recap the choreo lightly. Donghyuk’s hair is in disarray, his shirt almost soaked with sweat. He should go change clothes now, seriously. What a mess.

 

But the silence just forces the truth out from the depths of his mind. Donghyuk’s hair is in disarray; he wants to brush the strands with his fingers. Donghyuk’s shirt is almost soaked with sweat; he wants to take off that shirt and clothe him with his extra sweater. Donghyuk is a mess; a beautiful mess to his mind, to his inner peace.

 

He hears Donghyuk click his tongue, the silence disturbed. He taps his right foot on the floor and mumbles to himself about timing before letting himself sit on the floor as well, back on the mirror. They’re perfectly across each other now.

 

The silence is back again and Junhwe finds himself looking up, meeting Donghyuk’s eyes. He waits for him to look away but he doesn’t so he holds the gaze, like a challenge.

 

It’s easier to pretend they don’t know why they’re like this. To be ignorant of the reasons why they just stopped talking and being comfortable with each other. He sometimes asks himself why it has to be that way between them. He was perfectly fine with the friendly insults and the jokey rough touches.

 

Now, it’s not enough.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

Donghyuk wishes he hasn’t let Junhwe crawl so deeply under his skin. Just one look, one stare, and he knows what the other is thinking about.

 

Hanbin-hyung said something about the two of them not being in sync, how it’s not like them to be like that. It is true. Once upon a time, they work in two’s. As if there’s a cable attaching him to Junhwe and they would just click. That was when the bickering was done in a friendly way and the touches were innocent. It all changed when he started becoming aware of Junhwe’s growing closeness to Jinhwan-hyung, and Junhwe started distancing himself when Bobby-hyung hanged out with him more frequently.

 

Since then, they’ve been in an awkward standstill. Both of them are frustrated. Both of them are cowards.

 

“It’s not what you think.” Jinhwan-hyung had told him one quiet night when the two of them were sneaking away to eat late night snacks. He had pretended not to know what his hyung was talking about. Bobby was more specific.

 

“You and June-ya aren’t talking. Is it my fault?”

 

No, it’s not, he had assured his hyung. It’s both his and Junhwe’s faults actually, and they both didn’t do anything about it.

 

Until now. Maybe.

 

He’ll be lying if he says taking action now isn’t because they’re already affecting the team dynamics. Above all, iKON’s harmonious relationship is the top priority. Since the leader told him to fix this painfully obvious but scary thing he has with Junhwe, he’ll do his best to do just that. For the team.

 

But he’ll also be lying if he says it’s not because he wants this thing with Junhwe to just blow up so they could have a conclusion already. It’s like how they’re currently sitting directly across each other, as if they’re on opposite sides of a cliff, their eyes locked and both challenging the other to do something with the thin plank wood connecting their sides. Should they meet in the middle of the plank and jump off the cliff together? Or should they just kick off the plank and go their separate ways?

 

If he’s going to be completely honest, he would have ran to the opposite side already, hold Junhwe’s hand and never let go. Because really, memories and delusions will never be enough.

 

He internally laughs at himself. Sometimes he can’t stand that part of him so he willingly looks away, ending the staring contest he’s been having with Junhwe. He stands up and goes to choose a different song to dance to. No choreography intended. Just freestyle. An enticement and another challenge in both the literal and metaphorical sense. If Junhwe decides he doesn’t want to, he’ll leave him be.

 

It’s crazy how even though he’s not sharing another gaze with him, he knows Junhwe would stand up and join. To jump together or to stay apart would be the question.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

Donghyuk definitely did this on purpose: choosing a song where suggestive movements are a must even though they’re doing it freestyle. He freezes for a moment, last minute hesitations eating up his mind as Donghyuk does the first few steps to the beat. He watches him stretch his hands and lean those legs in front of the mirror, his flexibility already showing even in unassuming movements, and Junhwe finds himself even more frozen.

 

Then Donghyuk breaks the silence for the first time in almost an hour, eyes commanding his attention.

 

“Too difficult for you?” he asks, eyes meeting his again as he sways nearer to him. A blatant provocation.

 

That wakes Junhwe up. He has a love-hate relationship with this side of Donghyuk. This Donghyuk who smirks and raises his chin instead of smiling like the pure boy that he also is. He hates how it ignites suppressed instincts but he loves how he’s the only one who could prompt Donghyuk to bring out that side of him.

 

And of course Junhwe won’t back down.

 

He easily sways back, limbs matching Donghyuk’s as if the dance is still choreographed. He sees how Donghyuk misses the beat by half a second, probably surprised that he had automatically corresponded to his movements, but recovers just as quickly. Junhwe can’t help but smirk to himself. Of course he could match Donghyuk, how long was he watching him? Every move his body makes is engraved on Junhwe’s mind.

 

Donghyuk sees the self satisfaction from that little smirk but instead of retorting, he doesn’t say anything more. He shifts, completely immersing himself into the music, controlling the air around them to his will. Junhwe might be a good dancer but he’s better. He knows it, they both know it. But he also knows Junhwe isn't the type to give up in challenges like this. He isn't surprised when after making a few off-beat steps, Junhwe shifts as well and suddenly, he’s keeping up.

 

However, it’s not a harmonious synchronized feeling their leader wants. They’re clashing, two souls pushing and trying to overcome the other. He looks up and Junhwe locks eyes with him again, fire and ice and something else mixing. Junhwe feels it too.

 

When the song stops, they’re already standing further than the distance they started in. Their breaths echoes in the room until Donghyuk can’t take it anymore and speaks once again.

 

“Jinhwan-hyung.”

 

He barely finishes mentioning their eldest’s name when another song plays through the speakers. It has the same undertones of the first, but in a slower pacing. It’s a song that calls for a routine focusing on flexibility, of limbs touching and breaths bouncing on skin.

 

It’s a song meant for couples. Uninhibited and full of passion.

 

Dongyuk takes a tentative step, waiting for him to react. To stop or to continue is what he’s asking and Junhwe takes a step forward. This is what they’re waiting for. The real start.

 

“What do you think of him?”

 

Donghyuk slowly sways his body towards him and Junhwe follows with an arm wrapping gently around his waist.

 

“I like him very much. He’s all I ever wanted.”

 

That causes a sudden pang on Donghyuk’s heart, buried fears brought to life in an instant. But then Junhwe tightens his grip on his waist, ever so slightly, and continues speaking.

 

“He’s the best hyung I could ever ask for.”

 

Junhwe knows how dangerous he’s playing, but he can’t give everything out in the open just like that. Not when he also suffered. Such a jerk-like thing to do but Donghyuk knows and he’ll most likely do the same. They’re not perfect.

 

“Bobby-hyung.” he starts again just as he lets go of Donghyuk according to the beat.

 

“I like him too. Very much.” Donghyuk answers almost automatically. He watches Junhwe sway back to him, but he gracefully moves away - just enough so they could see each other’s faces.

 

“I love him.”

 

Fire is back in Junhwe’s eyes. He takes a bold step towards Donghyuk, already knowing that he’ll try to create some distance. He won’t let him do that. He goes to the opposite direction and meets him face to face, hands gripping on his thighs. He almost growls his next words.

 

“How much do you love him?”

 

“Very much.” Donghyuk intentionally repeats, a dangerous smile on his lips as he raises one leg up, brushing against the other’s thigh. “I need him so bad.”

 

His lashes flutter a bit when Junhwe pulls his leg closer, his fingers digging more on his flesh.

 

“Best hyung in the world, really.”

 

The tension stays around for a moment before dropping to slightly calmer lows. Junhwe’s hold on his leg loosens yet is still insistent. Their air is still clashing despite their perfect matching of the rhythm, but they’re getting there. There’s only one thing to clarify after all.

 

What about me?

 

They don’t say anything. The bridge part of the song ends and the last chorus starts - a perfect accompaniment to their . Donghyuk doesn’t hold back and so does Junhwe but this time, one leads and the other follows. This time, they both give; two souls fully integrating until they’re one. This is what Hanbin-hyung wants to come back.

 

But now, there’s also something locking them deeper. An unbreakable chain that holds fire and ice together so fittingly. This is what they want to ignite, to never let go once held.

 

The air transforms. Everything turns to white except for the music and each other. Junhwe’s eyes can see everything. He sees the flexing of Donghyuk’s upper arms, the way his fingers gracefully beckon him, the fluttering of his lashes, his half parted lips taking in small breaths. He finds himself pulled in, deeper than ever.

 

And Donghyuk is no different. With each drop of the percussion, with each flow of the piano and the tugging of guitar strings, he takes in more and more. Each touch from Junhwe’s fingers singes him with warm, addicting fire. And each moment their eyes meet trails that fire down through his every fibre, making him crave for more.

 

Their breathing, their heartbeat. They’re completely, perfectly, in sync.

 

When the finals notes of the song drawls out, they’re face to face. Donghyuk’s breath bounces warm but soothing on Junhwe’s collarbones, and Junhwe’s fingers brush feather-like but affirmingly down on his arms. While their gaze is steadfast, with the silence loud with tension and their souls ready to jump off the cliff together, the question repeats.

 

What about me?

 

And the answer comes out easily.

 

Want. Need.

 

“...Love you.” Junhwe whispers, lips upturning to a smile because saying those words felt like freedom. Donghyuk smiles back and leans up, his fingers traveling to the back of Junhwe’s head to softly tangle on his dark hair.

 

“How much?”

 

“Very much. More than anybody else.” Junhwe’s lips turn into a smirk, his hands already on their way around Donghyuk’s waist and back.

 

He leans his head down, slowly but steadily, until their lips are barely touching each other’s.

 

“You?”

 

Donghyuk matches his smirk, hands gently pressing Junhwe’s head down as he says the same truth.

 

“Very much. More than anybody else.”

 

And they both jump, their hearts landing on safety despite the fear for the unknown still intact. The silence around them is still a storm of feelings, but they’ll take it all in. Harmoniously. In Sync. Together.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

(not so innocent) BONUS:

 

It’s past midnight when they all looked up at the sound of the front door unlocking. Donghyuk and Junhwe comes in with their hands tied, fingers laced and refusing to let go. Their steps are in a hurry as they walk pass by them in the living room.

 

“We’re back!”

 

“Yo.”

 

Then there’s another sound of a door, this time closing. No one said anything for a good 3 seconds before Bobby whistles.

 

“That went well.”

 

Too well, you mean.” Hanbin sighs with his face flushed with soft red. Yunhyeong giggles and elbows him.

 

“What? This is what you want.”

 

“Yeah but….” Hanbin sighs again. “Okay, is anyone willing to adopt me into their room? I have no plans third-wheeling and hearing weird noises in the night.”

 

“We’re full.” Chanwoo immediately answers while taking 2 pieces of pocky sticks from his box. “And are you sure you don’t want to stay there? Third wheeling and the weird noises might prove to be educational for you, hyung.”

 

The hyungs all gasp scandalously at their maknae who just shrugs and bites into the pocky sticks.

 

“Before all of you can think of blaming me, this kid has always been like this. You have no idea the torture I get from being roommates with him--

 

“And I definitely won’t think of rooming with you two now.” Hanbin cuts in then yelps when he failed to avoid Yunhyeong’s smack on his arm. Bobby reaches to take a piece of pocky from Chanwoo.

 

“You can room with me and Jinan, Hanbin-ah.”

 

“Yeah, no choice. The problem is the bed.”

 

“We always have space for you in our beds~” Jinhwan teases with a smirk. The others burst into laughter when Hanbin pouts and blushes deeper.

 

“Stop teasing me! I’m the leader why are you doing this to me--

 

Thump.

 

They all stopped talking in confusion at the sudden noise. Then there’s a thump again, and another. A short silence and then, creak.

 

“Uhh…”

 

Bobby sputters on his pocky stick. Jinhwan does a small awkward cough while the twin monsters are sporting similar red faces. Yes, even evil maknae is shaken. Hanbin wants to slap his two hands on his face, cry tears of blood, and run away.

 

“How about we sleep over at Winner-hyungs’ dorm?”

 

“Abso-in’-lutely. Let’s go.”

 

.

.

.