Prompt # 5: Fan Service

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

Prompt # 5 for gaerixxi

genre: a lil angst,comfor, romance, fluff 
pair: jundong
plot: where all junhwan moment are just for fanservice but donghyuk get jealous over and junhoe just too dumb to realize lmao thanks anyway

 

Ahhh, this is the last prompt! I somehow feel sad? I don't know why when this isn't even the last entry in this series, hahaha. As usual, tell me what you think. Thank you gaerixxi for requesting this particular prompt. :D

 


 

 

When the topic of pairing fanservice was opened within the group after their debut, the iKON members weren’t averse to it. After all, such a thing is expected when one is part of a K-pop idol group, and “shipping” is something that can keep their fans’ interest - no matter how shallow or deep that interest is. Also, just because two members are paired for the fans, it doesn’t mean it’s the same in real life. That’s why when Donghyuk found himself mainly paired with Yunhyeong-hyung, and Junhwe is paired with Jinhwan-hyung, Donghyuk didn’t have any complaints.

 

Eventhough he and Junhwe are the actual “pairing”.

 

Donghyuk’s been dating Junhwe since the end of Mix and Match. He always knew he likes Junhwe more than he should and had suspected Junhwe might feel the same way. Despite that, he never made a move because such feelings were a distraction at that time. Not to mention the emotional stress put on them in the whole duration of their two survival shows.

 

Despite his suspicions of their mutual feelings, it still surprised Donghyuk when Junhwe confessed after Mix and Match. Junhwe told him that the show made him realize how easy it is for the team to be broken up by outside forces, and how afraid he was at the thought of it. At the thought of losing him.

 

“I want us to be together from now on.” That’s what Junhwe told him when he reached for his hand in that late night escapade at the apartment rooftop. Donghyuk vividly remembers how Junhwe was slightly trembling at that time - clearly afraid that he doesn’t share the same sentiments, and his cheeks flushed so much he can see it despite the night sky and the dim outdoor lights. Donghyuk answered him with a nod followed by a peck on his lips (which Junhwe “corrected” because according to him, it wasn’t a proper kiss). And that’s that.

 

Perhaps that memory is what anchors Donghyuk away from any negative thoughts about their relationship. It was the fact that the awkward Goo Junhwe was the one who confessed first - the feel of his hand squeezing his in plead and hope, and his eyes teary-eyed when he agreed to date him. It was what kept Donghyuk from being worried despite the lack of affection in their relationship.


Their relationship as lovers is weird, Donghyuk admits. They still interact the same way as how they were before, the small banters and teases still intact. He still finds Junhwe annoying, and Junhwe isn’t any less condescending to him. Their group members would often ask them if they were still okay because apparently, they don’t show any signs that they’re dating. Junhwe would always answer with finality that they’re fine, and Donghyuk wouldn’t disagree because it’s true. The way they are as a couple might be weird, but at the same time Donghyuk thinks it’s uniquely theirs - a bond that only he and Junhwe understands.

 

Donghyuk understands, really. And yet the understanding, his logic, and the memory of Junhwe’s confession aside, he still finds himself jealous of the “JunHwan” pairing.

 

 

---

 

 

He knows he shouldn’t frown or pout so deeply when there are a dozen cameras on standby around them, but Donghyuk can’t help it. From his vantage point at his seat, he can see Junhwe and Jinhwan-hyung laugh over something from the elder’s phone, their shoulders bumping and faces leaning so close.

 

The urge to hate iKON’s dedication to their fans is strong with Donghyuk at that moment. No one told them they have to keep up with the “shipping” even in airport downtimes but here they are doing just that. Logic tells him it’s just typical Goo Junhwe being affectionate with his best friend Jinhwan-hyung - nothing to be fussed over since the two of them have been like that since Team B days.

 

Still, Donghyuk finds himself opening his KakaoTalk chat with Junhwe and sending him a rather petty order to buy him iced coffee - an attempt to break the two apart. He watches behind his sunglasses as Junhwe takes out his phone and shifts away from Jinhwan-hyung, head lowering down to read the message.

 

Donghyuk has half the expectation that Junhwe would just ignore his message with an annoyed emoticon, or just tell him to buy the iced coffee himself. What really happens is Junhwe standing up from his seat, turning to face him without the expected scowl on his face, and Donghyuk’s phone vibrating for the reply.

 

“Let’s buy it together.”


He looks up again and sees that miniscule grin Junhwe only shows to him, causing him to feel somewhat embarrassed at himself. He stands up too and feels more shame when the rest of the members just gave the two of them soft smiles, no one daring to come with them because it’s him and Junhwe.

 

As they walk to one of the airport cafes, Junhwe tells him about the thing he and Jinhwan-hyung were laughing about. He nods and tries to laugh along because Junhwe is saying things like, “I’ll show you the vid later” and “I’m sure you’ll like it”, still with that small grin. Junhwe orders for him, upgrades the drink to a larger size without any prompting, and even adds a pastry for him to eat with the coffee. His heart flutters at the light squeeze Junhwe does when he secretly held his hand while they wait for their order.

 

Relief washes over the guilt and shame but somehow, there’s a lingering apprehension. Donghyuk forces it out with a combination of logic and the feel of this rare moment with Junhwe. He hopes it’s enough.

 

 

---

 

 

It’s not enough.

 

It’s frustrating because he should have gotten used to it by now. “It” being Junhwe following Jinhwan-hyung around the concert stage and being everything that he is not when he’s with Donghyuk. He watches the wide smiles and big laughs, the wrapping of arm around their mat-hyung’s waist, the playful dancing and tapping on each other’s bodies. Jinhwan-hyung is a master of flirtation with no malice, and he knows better than to be angry with him because of it.

 

But Junhwe.

 

Junhwe gives out that small grin that should have been only for him to Jinhwan-hyung, eyes unwavering with the kind of gaze that should have been directed at him. Donghyuk suddenly feels utterly ignored and betrayed.

 

He distracts himself with the screams of their fans and their adoring gazes, letting himself be pulled by both Yunhyeong-hyung and Bobby-hyung for their pair interactions. He laughs and smiles and lets the more reasonable part of him to direct his actions.

 

Once in a while, he and Junhwe would meet at a certain section of the stage. They don’t make eye contact and they don’t make a move to physically interact. Donghyuk didn’t mind in their first few concerts but now, he feels the apprehension once again. It should have been easy to go and place a hand on Junhwe’s shoulder, invite him to sing together on his mic. Junhwe certainly wouldn’t push him away just because of his on-going fan service with Jinhwan-hyung, and it’s not like their fans would dislike the two of them interacting.

 

It’s so easy, and yet Donghyuk stays on his spot, choosing to wave his hands to iKONICS and continuously remind himself that it’s fine. He should stop being childish because he and Junhwe are always like that. Seemingly distant on the surface but unbreakably connected beneath. Like what he told himself before, it’s a unique relationship.

 

Right? He should get over himself soon.

 

 

---

 

 

That “soon” is far away from him because Donghyuk is again, against his better judgment, feeling irritated at what he’s witnessing.

 

With the watchful presence of their managers, the whole group decided to roam the night streets of Kobe after their concert. Dinner was done in an unassuming but good enough restaurant to avoid fans, and soon they’re out walking.

 

Usually, Donghyuk is one to enjoy the view and the sights around him. Not this time. He walks a little slower and watches his boyfriend at the front of the group, talking and sharing earbuds with Jinhwan-hyung. At some point, the elder stops and gestures towards an accessories shop, and Junhwe didn't think twice in following his hyung inside.

 

Donghyuk stiffens when he sees Junhwe affectionately place a hand at the back of Jinhwan-hyung’s head. Instantly, he feels sick. It’s ridiculous because it’s literally just Junhwe being his usual self with their eldest, but his mind is filtering it into something else. The fact that there are no fans around clamoring for the interaction makes it all worse.

 

“.” he decides he has enough. He turns around to approach one of their managers behind them, saying that he wants to be taken back to the hotel because he feels really tired. He quickly adds that the members don’t have to know. Then Bobby-hyung was suddenly beside him, concern obvious on his face as he asks what’s going on.

 

“You do look pale…” his hyung comments when their manager told him about his request to go back.

 

“I’ll be fine with manager, hyung. You can go back to the members.”

 

Bobby looked like he thought about it for a few seconds before shaking his head and patting his head in comfort. “I’m not leaving my favorite dongsaeng behind.”, he says. His hyung really doesn’t have to but Donghyuk is grateful for the concern, nonetheless.

 

They arrive at their hotel without any incident. Bobby instructs him rather sternly to not lurk in social media and just go straight to sleep. The rapper says he’ll message Yunhyeong-hyung about him before leaving to go to his shared room with Jinhwan-hyung and Chanwoo. 

 

He washes and changes clothes quickly before going to bed. The short shower managed to clear his head a bit, but he receives a message from Junhwe right after and his mind is clouded once again.

 

“Why did you leave early?” the message says. Donghyuk sighs and replies with “Tired. Want to sleep.” That should have been the end of it but his phone dings again before he could put it on his bedside table.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

He frowns at that. And what would telling him do? Would he stop at everything, leave Jinhwan-hyung behind, and go back with him to the hotel?

 

He chews the inside of his cheek when he realized he’s being unpleasant with his thoughts. He’s honestly getting tired now so he texts Junhwe one last time before pulling the covers over his head.

 

“It’s fine. You don’t need to know.”

 

Then about five minutes later, the door noisily opens and closes shut. The sudden intrusion to the silence blasts out any sleepiness Donghyuk has out of his system. He pulls the comforter down and sits up abruptly, stiffening when he sees Junhwe standing instead of Yunhyeong-hyung.

 

Junhwe was scowling. He has his phone in his hand and he looked like he hurried to get there. Donghyuk blinks at him. Why is he suddenly there?

 

“What are you doing here? Are the others back too?”

 

“No, and I’m here because you can’t be bothered to tell me you want to go back.” he says as he moves to go nearer, stopping when he's a few feet away. His scowl deepens as if he’s been offended big time.

 

Junhwe lifts his phone in his hand as if to make a point. “What do you mean I don’t need to know?”

 

“...What?”

 

“Your text. Why do you think I don’t need to know?”

 

Donghyuk’s mind blanks out for a second before recovering to exasperation. Seriously? He’s interrupted from his sleep and is being heavily scowled at because of that? Is that the reason why Junhwe followed him back?

 

“Because there really is no need to.” he retorts with an irritated sigh after calming himself. “I’m tired and I want to go back here. That’s it. I don’t want to bother you and the whole group just because of that.”

 

Junhwe shifts his weight from one foot to another then pushes both hands and his phone down the pockets of his pants. He’s assessing his answer, Donghyuk knows, but the taller male looks unsatisfied by the end of it.

 

“You don’t want to bother the whole group,” he speaks again, eyes narrowing at him and voice in a spiteful tone. “But if it’s Bobby-hyung, it’s okay huh?”

 

What.

 

Donghyuk narrows his eyes as well and finally stands up from the bed, his arms crossed on his chest.

 

“What’s your deal? What are you implying, bringing up Bobby-hyung in this?”

 

“You know what I’m talking about, Dong.”

 

He knows. Painfully at that and it makes him more and more irritated at the situation because what right does Junhwe have to act and talk like that? When he’s so focused on Jinhwan-hyung?

 

Perhaps it's the built-up stress and emotional frustration inside him that caused the sudden tears to drop from his eyes without his awareness. Junhwe freezes on the spot and watches as he blinks and wipes the liquid off his cheek. He sniffs then looks away.

 

“. Look, I’m sorry. I was stupid. I shouldn’t have been jealous of Bobby-hyung. He’s been very touchy with you lately…” Junhwe’s tone is suddenly so much softer than the one he used moments ago. He half-dashes towards him and immediately cups his face with his hands. “I’m really sorry. Don’t cry, please. I hate it when you cry.”

 

“Yeah? Well, swallow that hate and let me cry.”

 

Donghyuk would have appreciated the rare act of affection from Junhwe right now if he wasn’t so bitter with their situation. He holds both Junhwe’s hands and pulls them away from his face, releasing them a second after. He felt how Junhwe tensed up as soon as he does that, probably hurt at his actions, but he’s feeling too resentful at the moment to care.

 

“I’m so messed up.” he says more to himself but he’s sure Junhwe catches it. He sniffs again. “You honestly have no right to be jealous of Bobby-hyung when you’re busy looking at someone else. But I know you’re just doing your job and I understand but still…”

 

Junhwe looks absolutely confused and somewhat insulted. “Looking at someone else? What are you talking about?”

 

Why is Goo Junhwe so thick-headed?

 

“I’m jealous too okay?” Donghyuk finally blurts out with a sob. The shame is back with him again so he looks down. “I’m jealous of you and Jinhwan-hyung. I know it’s just fan service but I can’t help it. You’re too affectionate with him and you look at him like how you look at me. It’s like… you prefer him over me now.”

 

He sighs heavily and rubs his face with both hands. “I know it’s pathetic and stupid of me to be like this over a freaking fanservice. I’m sorry.”

 

There’s a significant silence after his confession. Junhwe just stood there, the air between them the most tensed and emotionally charged since the days of Mix and Match.

 

Then he feels Junhwe’s hands on upper arms, pulling him closer. He has the urge to pull away again but he just apologized so he restrained himself. He lets Junhwe take his hands off his face and wipe his tears.


“Don’t apologize. I guess even you can misunderstand when seen that way. And like you said, I’m no better.”

 

Junhwe gently grips his chin and tugs it upwards so he’s looking straight at him again.

 

“This is ing embarrassing to say but you need to know.” his boyfriend continues as soon as he meets his eyes. Junhwe clears his throat then blushes.

 

“I’m actually imagining you in place of Jinhwan-hyung. All those Junhwan moments? It’s you I’m seeing in my head. I guess that explains why you see me looking at him like how I look at you.”

 

Silence again.

 

“So yeah, there’s no reason to be jealous of Jinhwan-hyung when I’m literally filtering him to be you. I’m sorry for making you misunderstand.”

 

“Oh.” Of all the possible explanations Junhwe could say, Donghyuk didn’t expect something like that.

 

It’s amazing how all the apprehensions and stress from the past weeks just evaporate from Donghyuk’s body. He feels giddiness bubbling inside him but he held it in. He can’t hold back the warmth on his cheeks though.

 

“I…” he shifts his gaze then bites his lip because he literally has no words. The more he thinks about Junhwe’s explanation, the more light-headed he feels. “Thank you? I’m sorry I don’t know what to say…”

 

“Just tell me if we’re okay now.”

 

“We’re okay now.” he doesn’t need to think about it. He meets Junhwe’s gaze again and gives out his most sincere smile in days.

 

Junhwe sighs in relief then opens his arms up in invitation. Donghyuk steps in, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend’s torso before resting his head on his upper chest.

 

“I feel so stupid.”

 

“You already said that Dong, that’s enough.” Junhwe tells him as he embraces him back.

 

“And you’re not stupid. Now that this happened, I realize we had it coming since we’re not the showy couple type.”

 

“That’s the point. I’m perfectly aware of that and yet…” he sighs helplessly, pausing when Junhwe started running his fingers through his hair. “I’m fine now Junhwe. I promise I won’t feel jealous of you and hyung anymore.”

 

“There’s no need to promise something like that but, okay. I won’t argue.”

 

He feels Junhwe tighten his grip around him.

 

“So can we kiss now? I’m still bitter that you chose Bobby-hyung to take you back here. We could have been making out right now if you asked me instead.”

 

The abrupt shift of topic caused Donghyuk to almost cough. He pouts and squirms to pull away slightly.

 

“Aish. Shut up about Bobby-hyung already --”

 

His next words are muffled when Junhwe cuts him in with his mouth on his. He stiffens at the sudden action then eases up just as quickly, groaning and blushing even more at the desperate way Junhwe’s kissing him.

 

“Donghyukie! Are you okay?--”

 

Then the door opens and in came Yunhyeong-hyung. There was about 3 seconds of being shocked with the three of them before their hyung’s face bursts into beet red.

 

“Oh, you’re okay now! I think I’ll be rooming with Hanbin tonight so, goodnight!” Yunhyeong awkwardly sputters before closing the door shut.

 

“Geez, I already told him to leave you to me.” Junhwe mumbles, a small scowl on his face, before Donghyuk kicks him on the shin . He pulls away to follow their hyung out to apologize and explain, but his scowling boyfriend grabs him and reels him back.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?”

 

Donghyuk is prepared to retort but Junhwe is kissing him again so he decides to just leave it at that.

 

 

---

 

 

Almost a year later, iKON is once again huddled in one of the empty meeting rooms in YG to talk about their fanservice for the comeback.

 

“So, about the member pairings…” Hanbin starts and like the first time they talked about it, Donghyuk isn’t against it and won’t be having complaints whatever the meeting result is.

 

Except this time, he’s absolutely sure he won’t be tempted by the green-eyed monster.

 

If he’s to identify the most significant change in his relationship with Junhwe since The Incident, it’s the increased frequency in showing that they still feel the same way and the assurance, through actions, that there’s no need to be jealous even if both of them don’t need to be reminded of it any longer.

 

Their relationship is still subtle and “weird”. Junhwe still clings to Jinhwan-hyung (although in a more laid-back manner compared to before) and he’s still more affectionate with Bobby-hyung and Yunhyeong-hyung. The only difference now is the more solid confidence and ease he has in his bond with Junhwe.

 

The meeting ends with Junhwe being mostly paired with Yunhyeong-hyung, while Donghyuk is freed from being attached to anyone. “JunDong” is still in the backburner and he somehow feels sorry for the fans of that pairing, but he’s sure they wouldn’t mind if they knew.

 

“How about I sabotage YunJun and resurrect our pairing instead?” Junhwe whispers to him jokingly. He snickers and answers his boyfriend by pinching his thigh, to which said person yelps and retaliates by pinching his sides. The hyungs complain of their “blatant flirting” while Chanwoo chooses to take a video of them instead.

 

This is his reality with Junhwe - still a secret from the world in favor of the whims of their fans.

 

Donghyuk has no problems with that.

 

.

.

.

 


 

Thank you again for all the people who requested a prompt. I honestly had fun writing for all of them so I'll definitely open prompt requests again in the near future.

Cheers! See you next update ;D