Prompt # 3: Beautiful Distraction

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Prompt # 3: for iamnotyours

genre : fluff
pairing : jundong
plot : hanbin keeps scolding junhoe because he can't focus on dance practice for ikon new song. The reason is because junhoe can't take his eyes off donghyuk, so he keep miss the beat on the dance (probably distracted by dong's body, because who doesn't anyway :))

 

Lmao, this is partly inspired by that fancam of JunDong grinding at the remix filming. Thank you, iamnotyours, for the fun prompt!

As usual, please let me know what you think!

 


 

 

Junhwe doesn’t hate how his eyes wander when he loses interest or focus on something. Most of the time it gets him a scolding from their leader or from their “mom”, but he doesn’t care much about it because his wandering eyes often lead him to something more interesting. Besides, a distraction is needed from time to time to produce a better result - or that’s what Junhwe likes to believe.

 

But right now, at the very moment they stopped dancing for the 4th time because of him, he inwardly screams at himself for having that trait. And of all things his eyes can land upon, it has to be Donghyuk.

 

Or more specifically, Donghyuk’s body and the way he moves when dancing. Junhwe’s eyes had wandered on him and from then on, he’s been too distracted.

 

It’s not even the first time - striking moment kind of thing. He has seen, watched, and appreciated Donghyuk’s dancing form numerous times. It’s already given (at least for him) that Donghyuk and Jinhwan-hyung produces the most appeal as dancers - mostly because they both move the most fluidly in their group. There’s also that thing about Donghyuk wherein he just instantly changes - as if he’s entering a zone or releasing whatever he’s been holding back, as soon as the beat drops for a dance song.

 

But maybe it has something to do with the fact that he’s been harboring a secret crush on Donghyuk since Team B days.

 

Yeah, that might be the reason. He wants to blame Donghyuk for being an annoying (but glorious, he adds at the very back of his mind) distraction because he wasn’t always like that. “That” being honey thighs, broad shoulders, a full chest, and angles. Really, who told Donghyuk to give in to puberty so much and go from being a scrawny aegyo machine to “that”. He should have stayed being thin and lanky because Junhwe would still think he’s an amazing person regardless. And most importantly, he won’t be so distracted at the present.

 

What’s done is done, however. Now he’s in trouble for messing up the choreography again.

 

“GOO JUNHWE!” Hanbin yells, throwing his arms up in the air. “This is the fourth time! Why do you keep missing the beat in that same freaking sequence?!”

 

That sequence being the one where Donghyuk is in front, at an angle where Junhwe can fully see him do that damned body roll-hip combination. To make it worse, he smirks every.single.time. As if he knows how tremendously affected his fans will be when they see him do those moves.

 

Junhwe’s certainly not one of Donghyuk’s fans (or that’s what he convinces himself), but he’s obviously one of those who are and will be “tremendously affected”. He needs to do something asap to fix that.

 

“Once more from the top! Pull yourself together Junhwe!” Hanbin yells again, this time with a warning glare at him. He claps loudly and the other members starts going to their initial positions, ready to do the routine all over again.

 

Junhwe barely manages to go through till the end but of course, their leader still isn’t satisfied. Meanwhile, his eyes still refused to let go of Kim Donghyuk.

 

 

--

 

 

They have this short break when Hanbin is called up by Yang-sajangnim to his office. Junhwe thinks he can be saved from Donghyuk’s body rolls but God says nope.

 

He’s sitting at the benches with Jinhwan-hyung when Chanwoo approaches Donghyuk, Bobby and Yunhyeong at the middle of the practice room. He goes straight to Dong and oh so innocently asked for help doing the body rolls. Apparently, he wants to be more flexible so he could look smoother doing it.

 

No, the maknae doesn’t need to be “smoother”. His job is to be cute so he should stick to it and therefore, stop asking Donghyuk for help.

 

But of course, Donghyuk being the nice guy that he is, obliges Chanwoo. They stand in front of the mirrors where Dong demonstrates how he does those rolls, pointing to his torso and saying some technical dance stuff. Chanwoo watches and listens seriously while their 95-liner hyungs tease Donghyuk at the sides.

 

Junhwe, on the other hand, is stuck mind-filtering the body rolls in slow motion while his eyes catch the way Donghyuk run a hand through his hair, a half-smirk dangling on his lips.

 

, can he not? Junhwe feels like a creep now, being all focused and affected on things he shouldn’t.

 

He’s only awoken from his trance when Jinhwan-hyung nudges him on his left side, holding out a Nivea lip balm to him as if it’s the answer to something.

 

“Huh?”

 

“For your lips.” Jinhwan says, pointing to his own with the lip balm before offering it to Junhwe again. “You’ve been and biting it. If it’s too dry you should use lip balm.”

 

It took a few seconds for Junhwe to realize what he’s been unconsciously doing, and the reason why he’s been doing it. He feels heat rise on his face so he looks away, cautiously taking the lip balm from Jinhwan.

 

“T-Thanks hyung.” , why did he stutter? For good measure, he applies the lip balm and returns it to its owner.

 

And as Junhwe feared, said owner is already watching him suspiciously. Jinhwan’s eyes shift from him, to the middle of the practice room a couple of time before settling on him again, this time with a raised eyebrow and an amused grin.

 

“Take it easy. You don’t want to be obvious.”

 

Junhwe blushes more and glares at his hyung. Jinhwan just chuckles and pats his head as if it would alleviate the embarrassment he’s feeling. Luckily, Hanbin chooses that time to return and commands that they practice their title song choreography again. Apparently, sajangnim wants to see the final result very soon.

 

So they do the dance. Everything is going smoothly until the time arrives for the bridge, in which he and Donghyuk have this split second eye contact, and Junhwe messes up the beat timing again. Hanbin stops instantly while Chanwoo runs to pause the music.

 

“Junhwe! Seriously, what’s wrong with you?” The leader hisses, hands on his waist and face in disbelief. The other members chose to be silent due to the sudden tension in the air, while Junhwe can only wince and apologize.

 

There’s a moment of silence after, no one daring to get in between the two of them. Hanbin eventually sighs heavily, calming himself down, before scratching his head in thought.

 

“You go practice in the next room until you get it.”

 

Junhwe has no complaints about that. It’s about time he pulls his head out of his for being too distracted. Then Hanbin decides it’s not enough.

 

“Donghyuk, I want you to practice with him.”

 

What.

 

He widens his eyes and glances at Donghyuk, hoping he would complain. But Donghyuk just nods and starts walking towards the door.

 

“I don’t need help.” he blurts loud enough to stop Dong in his tracks and for Hanbin to glare at him again.

 

“I can practice on my own. Seriously.”

 

“No, you can’t. You’ll practice with Dong until you nail the timing!”

 

He bites the inside of his cheek. Practicing separately isn’t even the problem.

 

“Fine but instead of Donghyuk, I want Jinhwan-hyung to teach me.”

 

He gulps as the rest of the team looks at him with confused expressions. Jinhwan just raises his eyebrow at him and didn’t make any effort to agree. Junwhe doesn’t blame them because under normal circumstances, there’s absolutely no reason why he would want another person to practice with him. Numerous times Dong would watch over him when he’s having trouble and he would do the same for Donghyuk when asked. But right now, he can’t have Donghyuk doing that. Not when he’s the reason why he’s suddenly having two left feet when dancing.

 

“And why wouldn’t you want Donghyukie to look after you?” Hanbin crosses his arms and narrows his eyes in suspicion.

 

“I just prefer Jinhwan-hyung right now. I’m more comfortable with him anyway.”

 

More like, he’s more comfortable with any of them right now except for Donghyuk. But maybe he shouldn’t have said the latter part because Dong frowned a bit at him, avoided his gaze to look down, then pushed both hands into his pockets. That’s one of his reactions when he’s hurt or offended.

 

His heart sank seeing that. He has absolutely no intentions of hurting or offending Donghyuk but he just can’t say the true reason why he can’t have them practicing together alone.

 

He looks back at their leader, hoping that his excuse is enough. But Hanbin still looks unconvinced.

 

“Then the more reason Donghyuk has to teach you so you can be more comfortable with him.”

 

. He didn’t think Hanbin would spin it like that.

 

“No complaints now, Goo Junhwe. You’ll practice with Donghyuk whether you like it or not.”

 

 

--

 

 

As expected, the atmosphere between him and Donghyuk is awkward as soon as they got out of their practice room and transferred to the spare room beside it. He stands at the middle of the room, watching cautiously as Donghyuk goes straight to the computer to get a copy of their song from their shared network.

 

Ugh, he really shouldn’t have said that. He can’t take the silence any longer so he clears his throat and starts speaking.

 

“About the thing I said earlier, I don’t mean anything bad with it ok?” Donghyuk continues to be busy with the computer but Junhwe knows he’s listening. “It’s not what you think. I’m sorry.”

 

Donghyuk’s slumps his shoulders at that. He turns to give him that look that says he doesn’t want to argue for now, before clicking on the mouse to play their song.

 

“Let’s just forget it and practice. I’m sure we both want to go back next door.”

 

Junhwe sighs and gets into his position. He tries not to be too self-conscious with Donghyuk watching him like a hawk, his inner class president coming out. He hits every beat and when the “problematic” sequence comes up, he matches the timing perfectly. The song ends without any dance mistakes from his part - just as he expects.

 

He huffs and turns to see Donghyuk giving him a curious look.

 

“I knew it. Of course you can do the choreography perfectly by now. That means there’s a different reason why you keep messing up.”

 

Uh oh. He forgot Donghyuk can be sharp when he wants to. He immediately thinks of another excuse.

 

“I’m just tired and hungry Dong. I keep losing focus because of it.”

 

“Nope, everyone’s tired and hungry yet you’re the only one who keeps making mistakes. Why is that?”

 

Because you’re too much of a distraction and I can’t ing take my eyes off you, Junhwe answers in his mind. Donghyuk has to drop the subject now because he doesn’t want to say that out loud.

 

“I told you I’m just super hungry. I nailed the dance so can we go back now? I promise I won’t mess up from now on.”

 

The two of them exchange stares, with Donghyuk giving him that strict class president look again. Junhwe, on the other hand, is just nervously waiting for him to give in already.

 

“Let’s do one more run-through. I want to see if you can match it with me.”

 

Junhwe inwardly curses. He opens his mouth to disagree but Donghyuk is already back on the computer. In about 2 seconds, their title song is playing on the speakers once again.

 

“Come on! If you can do everything perfectly with me, I’ll let us go back!” Donghyuk says with an encouraging grin. He approaches him and taps his upper arm with the back of his hand as if to say “Let’s do this”, then starts moving to catch up to their third stance.

 

Screw it. Junhwe follows along, falling back into a natural rhythm with Donghyuk. They watch their forms in the mirrors to check each other.

 

Then the dreaded transition comes. Donghyuk slides in front of him to his right, turning slightly to do the dance step. Junhwe manages not to be distracted for the first two beats until he sees Donghyuk’s relieved smile at him. And just like that, Junhwe misses the rest.

 

The smile on Dong’s face drops as they both stopped dancing. Junhwe grits his teeth a bit before crouching down with his head hanging low. He feels so pathetic, just what the hell.

 

Donghyuk goes to stop the music then returns beside him. No one says a word for at least 5 seconds.

 

“Do you find me annoying Junhwe?”

 

Most of the time, both in a negative and positive way, if that makes sense. He doesn’t say that and instead, raises his head up to watch Donghyuk move to crouch down as well.

 

“Why are you asking me something like that?”

 

“Because you keep making mistakes when I’m in front of you. I’ve just confirmed it now.”

 

Yep, sharp indeed. At that moment, he should ready himself for being fully exposed.

 

“Is that the reason why you don’t want me here with you? Because I’m annoying you to the point that you’re messing up the timing?”

 

Or maybe not. He doesn't know whether to laugh because Donghyuk decides to swerve out of his perceptiveness, or be relieved because of the same reason.

 

Half of him wants to let Donghyuk think that way so his secret can stay a secret forever, but he notices that Donghyuk looks sad. That half of him is suddenly overtaken by the feeling of being a massive jerk.

 

Junhwe sighs helplessly. He’ll just have to sacrifice what’s left of his pride, then.

 

“That’s not the reason why I keep missing the beat when you’re in front of me.”

 

Donghyuk looks up to him with a questioning expression.

 

“Then why? I need to know so we could fix it.”

 

It’s not as simple as that but, whatever. Junhwe can feel his face heat up from what he’s about to reveal.

 

“I’m distracted by you.”

 

He wants to evaporate right then and there but Donghyuk wants to torture him more.

 

“What? I don’t understand. It’s not like I’m doing a different move. Am I doing unnecessary gestures?”

 

“No! It’s just…!” he curses under his breath. “You’re just… too pretty. Your dance and… everything.” he grimaces.

 

Silence.

 

“I’m distracting you because I’m too pretty. My dance and everything.”

 

“...yeah.”

 

“...so basically you’re checking me out while I dance and got so distracted.”

 

“Yes! Thank you for spelling that out for me. Much appreciated!” Junhwe sarcastically says, face still beet red. He refuses to look at Donghyuk. “God, I feel such a creep and an idiot.”

 

“Can’t blame you for feeling that way. Won’t comfort you either.” the other male says without much sympathy. Junhwe feels even more pathetic.

 

“After all, I’m constantly distracted by you too but I’m not letting that get in the way of practice.”

 

...Huh?

 

It has taken Junhwe more than a moment for the words to sink in. When it did, he stiffens and whips his head towards Donghyuk, eyes wide and face flaming more than ever. Donghyuk frowns at him but has his face beet red as well.

 

“Uhh… yeah.” Junhwe mutters intelligently. He can feel his lips slowly turn up to a smirk because his crush has just admitted he’s checking him out as well. Suddenly, he doesn’t feel so pathetic anymore.

 

It seems Donghyuk can’t take the embarrassment any longer because he cringes and hides his face with his two hands for a moment, breathing in and out as if to calm down. He stands up after that, the redness on his face already dissipating. Junhwe looks on in awe, wondering how Donghyuk can do that so easily.

 

“Anyway, I think we could ask Hanbin-hyung to switch me and Yunhyeong-hyung so I wouldn’t be in your direct line of sight during the bridge part.” he says, dusting off non-existent dirt on his pants. “If he refuses, you’ll just have to ignore me altogether Junhwe.”

 

Junhwe snorts then stands up as well.

 

“I would have ignored you from the start if it’s so easy to do.”

 

“But it’s still possible. Force yourself to look somewhere else or just focus on yourself. Why do you think I’m doing fine on my end?” Donghyuk gives out a crooked smile. “Are you that lovestruck with me?”

 

It was obviously a joke, an attempt to alleviate the tension and awkwardness between them. Junhwe should laugh it off or retort like how he’s supposed to but instead, he stiffens again as if he’s caught in the middle of a crime. The blush returning on Donghyuk’s face means he has caught on, but Junhwe still tries to salvage himself.

 

“Shut up. I’ll show you okay? I won’t mess up again even if you’re right in front of me.” He sounds childish and he can feel his face heating up too, but Junhwe stands firm. Donghyuk stares at him for about 3 seconds before nodding and smiling.

 

“Ok. Let’s go show everyone you can do it.”

 

 

--

 

 

Hanbin has his scrutinizing eyes on Junhwe as soon as he and Donghyuk return to their practice room. The leader asks them why they’re returning so soon and Junhwe ought to answer, but Donghyuk answers for him using the hungry and tired excuse. He follows it up with an assurance that Junhwe can do the choreography just fine.

 

And because Hanbin trusts Donghyuk the most when it comes to their dances, he doesn’t argue. Chanwoo goes to set the song from the beginning while they all go to their first positions. As the first notes of the song play, Junhwe psyches himself to ignore Donghyuk. He needs to prove to him that he won’t disrupt their practice this time but, , it’s so damn difficult when his mind keeps on replaying Donghyuk’s admittance that he’s checking him out as well.

 

Then he sees Hanbin narrowing his eyes at him after the first verse. , fine. If a challenge can’t do it for him, he’ll just have to focus on the reward or the outcome. He thinks for a moment, letting his eyes dangerously sway towards Donghyuk, until he gets the perfect idea.

 

He smirks at himself. Now he definitely won’t make a damned mistake.

 

The bridge part comes. Junhwe can feel almost all eyes on him, as if they’re waiting to see if he’ll miss the beat or not. He give out a proud smirk when he does the whole sequence perfectly, even when he and Donghyuk had eye contact.

 

As soon as the song ends, everyone heaves big sighs of relief. Hanbin finally lets out a more relaxed expression and goes to pat him on the shoulder. Junhwe grins at him, giving out another apology.

 

“It’s fine now. Good job, man.” The leader says with a small smile back.

 

Junhwe should follow Hanbin to monitor their recorded dance but instead, he announces he’ll treat all of them to ice cream as compensation for the trouble he caused. Amidst the sudden cheers from the news of free ice cream, he pulls Donghyuk with him out of the room.

 

“What? Why me too? It’s just ice cream!”

 

“It’s not that! We still have an unfinished business and I don’t want to talk about it in there.”

 

Donghyuk pouts and nods. They fall into a matching pace as they stroll out of YG headquarters and into the late afternoon street.

 

“So.” Junhwe nudges him gently on the side. “I nailed our dance so I deserve a reward. Let’s hang-out later. My treat.”

 

That seems to take Donghyuk aback because he stops walking for a moment before catching up with him.

 

“We’re already hanging out at this very moment.”

 

Junhwe snorts. “That’s not what I mean. I’m asking you out. On a date.”

 

He looks down in time for Donghyuk to look up at him as well. They immediately avert their gazes, pink forming on their faces.

 

“That’s so random.”

 

“It’s not. We’re both checking each other out.”

 

“So?”

 

“So… I figured we should do something more productive about it.”

 

Donghyuk snickers in amusement. “And you come up with a date?”

 

“Yeah, why not?” Junhwe peeks at the smaller male. “We can go watch that new superhero movie, talk about it over good food, then grab some late night coffee or ice cream. Whatever works for you.”

 

He expects Donghyuk to say something right away, but he stays silent. “Or maybe, we can just chill and be distracted together. If you know what I mean.”

 

As he expects, Donghyuk kicks him on the shin. He stumbles a bit but didn’t mind it because Donghyuk is looking at him once again.

 

Or we can just go back to the dorm like how we’re expected to do.” Dong says before sticking his tongue out at him, smiling softly after. “We’re both tired and we have an early sched tomorrow. Next time, okay?”

 

Junhwe’s willing to sacrifice his resting hours but since Donghyuk doesn’t share the same sentiment, he gives up and nods.

 

Their conversation ends for the meantime as soon as they arrive at the convenience store. They navigate the aisles silently, quickly taking the favorite ice cream flavor of each member. When they’re back at the streets again, Donghyuk speaks up.

 

“Saturday.”

 

Junhwe blinks then looks down to him, a bit confused. “Hmm?”

 

“I think we can squeeze some time on Saturday.”

 

About three seconds and Junhwe finally gets it. He grins widely.

 

“Sweet! It’s a done deal then. No backing-out allowed Dong.”

 

“I can say the same to you. I won’t forgive you if you leave me hanging in the air.”

 

“No way.” Junhwe clears his throat and leans closer to Donghyuk, just enough so he can clearly hear what he’s going to say. “You think someone as lovestruck as me would do something like that?”

 

Donghyuk doesn’t say anything but quickly elbows him before fastening his pace. Junhwe chuckles and catches up, grinning widely when he sees how red Donghyuk’s ears are.

 

“Shut up.”

 

“What? I’m not saying anything.”

 

“I feel like you’re gonna say something.”

 

“It’s just the truth though. I was gonna say you’re adorable.”

 

Junhwe laughs again when Donghyuk gives him a big frown, still with the red ears and cheeks. Gosh, he can’t wait for Saturday. It’ll definitely be a very good day and so worth all the scolding from Hanbin and the embarrassment he endured.

 

He has his wandering eyes to thank for that.

 

.

.

.