The Unknown Part 3

Strange Entity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

???, ???, March 30 (Late Afternoon)

---

 

Kris and the others watch as Qian taps on the mirror a certain way to turn the screen on and Kris tries to memorize the pattern--just in case. A side tap to the left, two flicks at the top, a tap here, a tap there and back to here and then Qian's facial expression changes to one of politeness as she greets a person on the other end in Kris' and the others' birth language.

 

She then turns the mirror so that it faces the twelve of them making Kris' and the others' bodies tense. Fortunately, instead of getting vaporized to ash like he predicted might happen, all they see is a person dressed in the clothes that those at the royal palace wear. The person's eyes widen at seeing them all and they quickly fumble with something below the screen's view and yell for someone to get the King and Queen on the line.

 

Qian quickly brings the mirror back to face herself and tells them not to and the person asks her why not in an incredulous tone. "They should know that you all found them!"

 

"I know but I want to speak with General Huang first," Qian replies, in a low voice. She then flips the mirror again so that it faces Tao. "He hasn't seen his family in three years. Let us talk to him."

 

"Hey, did you say something just now?" a new voice calls out.

 

Luna huddles closer to Qian and quickly takes the mirror into her hand, flipping it to face her. She looks down at it and her lips form a silent, Please?

 

Kris hears the first person grumble and then tap something before informing the other person that it was just a false alarm. The other person seems to believe them and scolds them before leaving, and the person taps on something again (Kris figures that it's a mute button). Qian and Luna instantly thank them and the person says, "Yeah, yeah...You've got ten minutes and then I'm switching you over to the King and Queen, alright?"

 

They nod their heads and then the person on the other end must have changed because Qian's expression gets noticeably brighter. Luna gives her a side-glance and then looks up at Tao with slightly furrowed eyebrows before looking back down at the mirror.

 

"Qian, is that you, hon?" A new voice asks, sounding vaguely familiar. "Oh, hello there."

 

Kris hears Tao inhale sharply next to him and turns to look at him while the two women have small talk with the person on the other end. His eyebrows raise in concern when he sees Tao rapidly blinking while looking in the direction of the mirror. Tao's eyes are wide, in what looks like disbelief.

 

Then, as if in a daze, Tao walks closer to the mirror, dropping his hold on the sheet and making it fall on a few of the others' heads. Everyone quickly moves with him and Kai scrambles to grab the fallen sheet corner--leaving Kyungsoo to stand next to Kris and Luhan at the front. Sehun quickly lets go of his hold on his corner of the sheet as well and moves closer to Tao, and Lay scrambles to catch the corner before it falls to the ground.

 

Then, Qian looks up at Tao and her expression changes to one of sympathy as he gets closer. She then looks back down at the mirror and informs the person on the other end that she has a surprise for them and then flips the mirror so that it faces Tao. Kris angles his head to see who's on the other end and immediately balks when he recognizes the person as Tao's mom (having met Tao's family many times while growing up in the palace). Her eyes widen in shock for a few milliseconds before they get smaller as she brings a hand to cover and Tao scrunches up his face and begins to cry.

 

"...Mama..." he cries, his voice cracking.

 

"Oh, Zitao...my sweet baby..." she says, her own eyes tearing up. He in his lips and bows his head as tears start to fall down his face. "Oh, what am I going to do with you..."

 

Tao doesn't say anything else, just continues to cry and she tries to comfort him with her words before her eyes move to the right when she sees Sehun's hand rubbing the top of Tao's hair. She then watches as Tao rests h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter