Chapter 46 (final)

Protector

Baekhyun carried the files to the main office, giving the patients warms smiles as he made his way down the long white hallways. Humming a soft tune in his head, he waited for the elevator to reach his floor.

"Good afternoon, Baekhyun!" He looked over to the familiar voice.

"Hyung.." Baekhyun smiled as Yixing stood beside him, hands in his coat pockets.

It had been 2 and a half years since he graduated from Gi-Hyeon Academy. Jongdae, Kyungsoo, Joonmyeon, Minseok, and Luhan all graduated a year earlier than him, which had left him with Jongin, Sehun and Tao.

* 2 years ago *

"W-Where am I?" Sehun groaned, feeling is body ache in pain and numbness. Minseok stirred in the bed beside his.

"Se-Sehun! You're awake!" Luhan cried, immediately standing to wrap his arms around the younger male. Warm tears ran down his face and Sehun only patted his back, feeling embarrassed and confused.

"Hyung..what do you mean?" Sehun ran a hand through his hair, feeling disgusting and sore.

"You've been unconscious for weeks. Today was the nova test and-"

Sehun grabbed Luhan by his shoulders and pressed his lips onto the other male's. Luhan's eyes widened and his entire body froze.

Pulling away, Luhan's legs were weak and his heart was running 100 miles per hour. He could still feel Sehun's lips on his and by then, his brain had already stopped functioning.

"Y-Y-You just-"

"I like you, hyung." Sehun breathed out. "I've been wanting to tell you and I know you probably don't like me anymore because of how rude and stupid I was but I reallly, really like you. I don't remember what happened before this but I wanted to let you know and I'm-"

Luhan wrapped his arms around Sehun, sobbing into his hair.

"Don't," He sniffled. "ever scare me like that again! I thought you died. I thought I'd never be ale to talk to you again!"

Sehun hesitantly put his hands o Luhan's waist, running palm over Luhan's back.

"I'm sorry."

Minseok coughed. "Uh..congratulations to you two but can someone please tell me what's going on?"

"Get him inside!" Yixing's voice was urgent and the sounds of shuffled footsteps caused the three to look at the entrance.

"Kris! Yxing!" Luhan watched as they came in, Joonmyeon following behind. "Where's everyone?"

"Lu- Oh, they're awake." Yixing paused, giving them both a tiny smile. Kyungsoo walked in, carrying Baekhyun's body. 

"What happened to him?" Luhan immediately stood up. Minseok sat up, worried and Sehun grasped onto Luhan's hand.

"Set him onto the bed near the window." Kris instructed. Kyungsoo did as he was told.

"Is he okay?" Joonmyeon ran to his side, watching Baekhyun pant. Sweat covered his forehead and his breathing was uneven.

"His energy levels are extremely unbalanced because he must have taken a huge amount of power." Yixing says, putting a hand on Baekhyun's chest.

"Jongdae is heading over here now." Joonmyeon said, looking at his phone. "-And Tao and Jongin are tagging along."

"Where's Chanyeol?" Minseok asked, looking around. 

Kris pressed his lips together.

"I'll explain it when the others come."

-

Baekhyun laid in the bed, looking out the window as students ran around in the field.

"Still not going to class?" Yixing asked as he sat on the bed across from Baekhyun's. Ever since he woke up two weeks ago, he refused to go back to the dorms or even attend class. When he needed to shower, he'd use the bathroom in the nurse's office. Eating food was seldom and he'd only speak when others came by to visit after classes.

Baekhyun shook his head.

"Baekhyun,..you can't just give up. I know not having him around is hard but you have to-"

"Please," Baekhyun's voice was weak and broken. "Don't."

"Baek-"

The junior pulled the blanket higher and turned over, facing his back to Yixing.  "I'm tired."

-

"Baekhyun!  I brought you some food!" Luhan exclaimed as he and Sehun entered the room. The sky remained lighter later now and the campus was more lively. Tests were over, according to Jongin and Kyungsoo.

Sehun followed after his boyfriend silently as Luhan hopped his way in, setting a box of hot food on the table beside Baekhyun's bed.

"How are you feeling?" Sehun asked calmly.

"Same as ever." Baekhyun commented. His face was much paler and skinnier, ad his hair grew out into bangs that covered more of his forehead. Tao offered to cut it for him but Baekhyun wasn't up for it.

"Did you go to class today? Or at least back to the dorm?"

Baekhyun shook his head.

Luhan sighed.

"Baek, you can't be like this. It's been 2 months. I'm surprised Yixing, or even the principal, hasn't kicked you out."

Baekhyun looked at the food Luhan got for him. His stomach churned in hunger but he didn't have a desire to eat. Nonetheless, the held the chopsticks and poked some rice.

Sehun put his arm around Luhan, pulling him close. Baekhyun tried to not look, feeling his eyes water.

"I-.." Baekhyun paused. He had held back his tears for the past month. He told himself he wouldn't cry because all his tears were already drained out of him. But before he knew it, there was a waterfall of tears streaming down his face.

"What's wrong?" Luhan pulled away from Sehun's hold and sat on the bed beside Baekhyun.

"I..miss him so much." Baekhyun cried, tears dripping onto the food. He wished Chanyeol was here to hold his hand and sing songs to him. He wished Chanyeol was still here to give him warm hugs and sleep wth him. He wished Chanyeol was still here.

Luhan frowned. "I know you do. We all do.. but you did what was right. You've sacrificed so much, and I know Chanyeol.." Baekhyun's tears wouldn't stop and even Luhan tensed, mentioning their friend's name. "..I know he'd be proud of you, too."

"I hate myself so much, Luhan. Every single day, every moment. If I could have told him I loved him..at least kissed him one more time.." Baekhyun cried, feeling his chest tighten at the memories.

"It's not your fault, Baek." Luhan patted his shoulder.

"I..I miss him, so..so much." Baekhyun sniffled, wiping away the tears with the back of his hand.

"It'll be alright, Baek." Luhan let Baekhyun cry into his shoulder.

*present day*

"You're working both shifts now?" Yixing asked, eyeing the files Baekhyun carried.

Baekhyun looked down and nodded. "Well, yeah, I guess. One of the other nurses fell ill the other day so Ms. Lee asked me to cover for her."

Yixing nodded. "I see."

The elevator doors opened and Yixing motioned for Baekhyun to enter first. After graduating, Baekhyun decided to enter the medical field as a nurse intern. Luhan became a therapist, working a few blocks away from the hospital. He and Baekhyun, with Sehun tagging along, would occasionally meet up for lunch. Joonmyeon was a firefighter, often stopping by to visit Yixing, who was now a doctor Baekhyun often assisted.

"I heard Minseok took the offer in China, for the athletics team. He's gonna be coaching a basketball prodigy." Yixing says, pressing the button for the 5th floor.

Baekhyun raised his eyebrows in surprise. "Really? That's amazing!"

"But Jongdae is quite sad he'd going. He even joked about following him to China. Then we have Kyungsoo, who hardly even talks to us after working at that expensive restaurant. All he does is cook day in and day out."

Baekhyun laughed. "Wait until Jongin graduates this year. He'll get Kyungsoo hyung out and partying everyday."

"How's Kris?" He changed the topic.

Yixing chuckled. "Not around."

"He's still at the school? Why doesn't he just come back out?" Baekhyun watched the numbers go up.

"Tao's got him wrapped around his finger. Kris said that he'll wait for him to graduate first."

The doors opened and they both stepped out.

"I have to drop these off and the main office. I'll see you later, hyung." Baekhyun struggled to wave but Yixing understood, nodding.

"Be careful, Baekhyun." Yixing waved.

Just when Baekhyun turned around down the hall, Yixing called out to him again.

"By the way, Baekyun.."

Baekhyuun looked at Yixing, confused. "Hm?"

"I heard they transferred a doctor from the other building. You should probably greet him, just in case Ms. Lee makes you assist him. You need the recommendations to get a full-time offer, right?"

Baekhyun smiled and nodded. "Alright, thanks, hyung!"

He turned down the hall and into the office, setting the heavy load onto the table top. 

"Tiffany, these were the reports from the patients in section B3." He told the woman sitting at the computer. She nodded and slid them in front of her.

"Okay, I'll organize these and set them in the cabinet."

Baekhyun bowed before leaving, finding himself at another section of the hospital. He always loved visiting the children, making them smile and giving them candy. They reminded him of himself, back when that incident had happened. He found himself doubting and hating himself to the point he wanted to end his life, to give up on everything he had. But his friends kept him going and reminded him that Chanyeol wouldn't have wanted him to do that.

Even to this day, he loved Chanyeol with all his heart. Sometimes he'd think he had saw Chanyeol walking down the busy streets of Seoul, or in the grocery store near his apartment. However, he'd never get his hopes high and just smiled at the thought of meeting Chanyeol again. He knew what it'd be like. Chanyeol wouldn't be the same person. He would have a different name, a different personality, a different life. Even if he had been reborn with the same image, Baekhyun knew he wasn't the same.

He'd met with and tried to be with other people but deep down, he knew he couldn't let go of Chanyeol. It was ironic and painful. Ms. Kim granted him anything he desired for on his graduation day and all Baekhyun asked for was an opportunity to continue his life like a regular person. The name itched on his lips, desiring only one thing, one person, but they both knew it was impossible.

"Jae-eun-ah!" Baekhyun calls out as he enters the room. The little girl on the bed smiles as he sees Baekhyun walk over and take a seat in the chair next to her bed. Song Jae-eun was Baekhyun's favorite patient at the hospital. She had been there for over a year, recovering from a severe head injury that caused her to have a minor case of amnesia. Her parents hardly had time to visit her due to their busy schedules so she and Baekhyun quickly became friends when he started interning at the hospital.

"Baekhyun oppa!" She calls, giggling when he ruffles her short hair.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, giving her a wide smile. She plays with the folds of the blanket.

"Just bored. I don't know why I'm still here. Mom and dad came last week and said that I could leave soon but it doesn't seem like it." She pouts.

Baekhyun sighs. "Jae-eun, remember what I told you? Good things come to those who wait.”

Jae-eun sighed and nodded. “Yes.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be out soon.”

“But, then I won’t get to see oppa anymore.” Jae-eun frowned, reaching out to hold Baekhyun’s hand.

Baekhyun squeezed her hand gently. “I’m sure we’ll meet again, when you’re older.”

“Baekhyun oppa, do you believe in magical creatures?” She asked, looking up at him with round eyes.

“Sure.” He says, nodding.

“Really?! Everyone else says they don’t exist.” Jae-eun frowned, playing with Baekhyun’s finger. Jae-eun was 8 years old, one of the older kids within her section.

“Well, they just don’t know about them, that’s all. Which creature do you like the best?”

She puts a finger on her chin in thought.

“Hm..the firey bird! Fee…fee-“

“Phoenix?” Baekhyun chuckles and she immediately nods.

“Yeah, that one! A ‘feenix’!” Jae-eun smiles.

“Why do you like it so much? You don’t like unicorns?”

Jae-eun  let go of his hand. “This bird is the strongest! I read a book one time and it says that the ‘feenix’ can be reborn even after it dies. So basically, it lives forever!” She tells him.

Baekhyun nods. “Mhm..I guess that is true. A phoenix huh?”

“And-“

“Song Jae-eun?” A deep voice asks from the door way. Baekhyun pauses before turning his head to the entrance. His eyes widen at the sight.

“That’s me.” Jae-eun says, allowing the man to approach her.

Baekhyun’s heart drops to his stomach and he wants to pinch himself out of this day dream. The world seemed to go in slow motion, everything stopping in the moment

The man checked the report file for Jae-eun before turning to Baekhyun, startling him with eye contact.

“Hello, you must the nurse-“

“I-Intern.. I’m just an intern..for now.” Baekhyun stutters, feeling his ears redden.

The man nods. “Well, okay, intern.” He goes back to the report, checking her progress over the past month. Baekhyun admired his height, dark black hair, and large ears. He looked exactly the same, except for his darker hair and style of clothing.

“Oh, I almost forgot,” He looks over to Baekhyun, who had already been staring at him. “I’m Park Chanyeol, the transfer doctor. I study and treat patients of a younger age, usually.”

 He extended his hand out to the shorter male, who only looked at his hand.

It’s you.

Baekhyun hesitantly took a hold of Chanyeol’s hand, giving him a firm handshake.

“Nice..to meet you, Park Chanyeol.” He says, wishing Chanyeol knew what he really meant. But this was a different Chanyeol. A new Chanyeol. Of all places in Seoul, in all of South Korea, why did Chanyeol have to be here? Why did he have to be the doctor transferred into the hospital Baekhyun worked at?

“Please, call me Dr. Park.” He smiles, making Baekhyun’s legs go weak.

Jae-eun tugs on Baekhyun’s shirt.

“Is he my new doctor?” She asks.

“Yep. Say hi to Dr. Park.” Baekhyun tells her. Chanyeol smiles at her.

“Hello.” She says shyly. “You’re really tall.”

Chanyeol laughs and Baekhyun feels a little sad. His Chanyeol always loved to use his height as an advantage to cuddle and hug Baekhyun whenever he wished.

“One day you’ll be as tall as me, I promise.” Chanyeol teases. Baekhyun makes his way towards the door, knowing that he should check up on other patients.

“Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun froze, his heart skipping a beat. His voice sounded the same.

He immediately turned around, eyes wide and awaiting. “Y-Yes?”

By any chance…does he..?

“Byun Baekhyun-ssi..that’s your name, right?”

Baekhyun’s gaze faltered and blinked.

“You never told me so I just checked your name tag.” Chanyeol clarified, pointing to the tag on dangling down his chest. Baekhyun looked down before slowly nodding.

“Alright then, see you around.” He says, smiling, before turning back to the report.

Baekhyun walked out, his chest feeling heavier than before.

Of course he doesn’t..

-

“Baekhyun-ssi?”

“Ye-“ Baekhyun paused, noticing Chanyeol at the end of the hallway. He clears his throat and makes his way over.

“I was just wondering if you know where I could find Dr. Zhang. He said he wanted to speak with me last time.”

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows.

“Dr. Zhang? You’ve met him before?” Baekhyun asked. Why hadn’t Yixing said anything about Chanyeol?

“He was the one who selected me to be transferred here. I just thought it’d be nice to thank him.” Chanyeol said, looking around.

Baekhyun couldn’t help but feel a little betrayed. What in the world was Yixing thinking?

“Well, it’s 2:10 right now. If I’m correct, he should be coming back from a lunch date with his- oh, there he is.” Baekhyun pointed to Yixing walking with Joonmyeon.

“Ah, alright, thanks Baekhyun-ssi.” Baekhyun swallowed when Chanyeol said his name.

“Y-Yeah no problem.” He managed to stutter out before finding his way out.

Hold yourself together, Baekhyun.

-

It had been a week since Chanyeol switched into their hospital and Baekhyun can’t decide if work is now a hell or a heaven. Seeing Chanyeol everyday made his day but seeing Chanyeol as a different person, completely oblivious to their previous relationship, made his heart ache.

“Baekhyun-ssi!” Tiffany called Baekhyun over.

“What is it?” He asked, setting a report folder onto the counter. He was just about to drop it off to Jae-eun’s room.

“The front desk is really busy at the moment, so could you help in the lobby. I’ll drop this off for you.” She tells him, standing up and taking the folder. Baekhyun nodded, taking a deep breath.

Arriving at the lobby, there was a whole line of people at the front desk.

“Thank goodness, Baekhyun-ssi. Did Tiffany send you?” Sunny asked, typing something into the computer.

“Yeah..Where should I start?” Beakhyun asked.

“Just start up that computer on the right and call people over.” She says, already going back to help the customer.

Doing as he’s told, he the monitor. “Next in line!”

A young woman, no older than 25, came over hurriedly.

“Yes, how may I help you?” He asked, eyeing her face. She looked familiar but he couldn’t exactly put a finger on it.

“Is Dr. Park Chanyeol in today?” She asked, checking her watch.

“Yes he’s-“

“Could you send him down here? Just tell him Yoora is here for him.” She says before walking away and sitting down in one of the waiting chairs.

Baekhyun blinked but picked up the phone. Dialing Chanyeol’s call digitals, the call went through to his assistant.

“Dr. Park’s desk.” The woman says.

“There’s a woman downstairs asking for Dr. Park. Her name is Y-Yoora?” He says, however it comes out more as a question.

“Alright, I’ll let him know.”

Baekhyun hung up and called another person up.

“Hello, how may I help you?” Baekhyun asked.

“I’m looking for the person in Section 6, he recently had a surgery? I’m his uncle.” The man says. Baekhyun nods and clicks the folder on the computer.

“Last name?”

“Ji.” Baekhyun continued to search for the patients when he saw the Yoora girl stand up from her seat out of the corner of his eye.

“Omo, look!” Baekhyun heard another woman beside him say. “It’s Dr. Park! He’s so handsome!”

“What are you doing here?” Chanyeol’s voice rings in Baekhyun’s ear.

“Yah! You didn’t even tell me you switched hospitals! Don’t you know how worried I was about you?” Yoora complains, pulling on Chanyeol’s arm.

Baekhyun immediately looks away and continues scrolling.

“Ah, Ji Joon Hyung? He’s in room 639. Just fill out this visitor’s form and you can go up.” Baekhyun grabs a paper from the stack behind the counter. The man thanks him and takes a seat.

“I don’t need to report everything to you.” Chanyeol says calmly, pulling her hands off him.

“Are you even wearing your ring?”

Baekhyun froze. R-Ring?...Hes..married?

Chanyeol felt around his pocket, taking out a small object.

“I took it off because I’m treating patients. See? I’m wearing it now.” Chanyeol chuckles, slipping it onto his finger.

Yoora rolls her eyes. “Excuses, Yeol.”

Baekhyun stood up from his seat and made his way out of the lobby, despite Sunny’s calls.

-

“So, I’m guessing you’ve met Chanyeol?” Yixing says, leaning back against the counter in the break room.

Baekhyun frowned, turning around to the older male. “Hyung! How could you transfer him here and not say a single word to me about it?!”

Yixing took a sip of his tea. “I did. I said a new doctor was transferred in.”

Baekhyun shook his head. “You told me on the day he came and you didn’t mention that it was Chanyeol…You know how I feel about-“

“Baekhyun, you have to get over him. He’s a different person now.” Yixing says firmly.

“Even if our novas are tamed, we can live as normal people. All I want is for you to stop moping about Chanyeol being gone. Why not try to fall in love with the Chanyeol he is now? He’s still got his dashing looks and he’s extremely popular with the women at the front desk.”

Baekhyun sighs and looks down at his cup of coffee.

“He’s married.”

Yixing looks over at Baekhyun. “Are you sure?”

“His wife came earlier and she asked why he wasn’t wearing his ring.”

Baekhyun feels a pang in his chest.

Yixing sighed, gently patting his back.

-

 

"Remember to make lots of new friends and spend time with your parents, alright Jae-eun?" Baekhyun patted her head as she gave him a bright but sad smile. This news of her discharge had been more sudden than they both thought.

"I will, Baekhyun oppa. Thank you for being my friend and I'm sure we'll meet again!" She holds his hand tightly before letting go. Baekhyun stands up from kneeling at her height, wathing her run to her mother and father. They give Baekhyun a grateful smile before pulling their daughter with them out of the hospital.

"It's sad to see her go, isn't it?"

Baekhyun turns around to see Chanyeol walking towards him, hands in his white coat pockets.

"D-Dr. Park."

"You were really fond of her, too. Jae-eun." Chanyeol spoke, standing in front of Baekhyun. No matter how much he tried, he couldn't look at Chanyeol as the person he was now. Memories flooded back, causing Baekhyun to often avoid the taler male in his work space.

"It's not the first time I've lost someone. Sometimes, it's just better to let them go, you know?" Baekhyun's voice is soft. 

Chanyeol nodded. "I know what you mean. But when you meet that person again, it begins to feel like the world revolves around only you two. As if everything was meant for only you two to be together." The way Chanyeol spoke made Baehyun keep his head down, heart getting stabbed with knives.

Holding back tears, Baekhyun managed to control his voice. "You and Yoora..must go a long way back."

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. "How'd you-"

"She visited the other day, asking for you. I couldn't help but over hear your conversation,..Your wife is really beautiful by the way, and I'm sure you two must be very happy together.." Baekhyun's voice was rushed and weak.  No matter how many times he tried to be happy for Chanyeol's relationship, he couldn't. He hated the thought of Chanyeol kissing, holding, and loving someone else.

Chanyeol's laughter filled his ears. "Yoora noona, isn't my wife. She's my older sister."

Baekhyun blinked. "Y-You're not married? But the ring-"

"That accessory was passed down to us from our parents, it was a tradition." Chanyeol lifted up his hand, a red ruby shining on his finger. It looked nothing like a marriage ring.

Baekhyun felt a weight being lifted off his shoulders but he didn't really feel any better. He had just embarrassed himself in front of Chanyeol because of his jealousy.

"Besides," Baekhyun felt Chanyeol lift up his chin with his finger, their eyes meeting. "Why would I go marry someone else when my boyfriend is right here?"

Baekhyun's eyes widened and his heart was racing at an abnormal speed.

"C-Chanyeol?" Baekhyun felt his eyes water, all sorts of questions running through his mind.

Chanyeol leaned in, stealing a kiss. There was a glint of flames in his brown eyes that made Baekhyun's heart skip a beat, a hint of warmth lingering on his lips.

The giant winked, "Miss me, Baek?"

 


The end

Thank you so much for giving this story so much love and support~

Please upvote if you enjoyed reading 'Protector" and

as always, please leave a comment!

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask ^.^